Into the Shadows of Arcadia

By Anonymous-ones

Changelings are all over Archadia but what if they had more influence on the trollhunter's journey? (Trollhun... More

Prologue
Becoming apart 1
Becoming Apart 2
Wherefore Art Thou, Trollhunter 1
Wherefore Art Thou, Trollhunter 2
Gnome Your Enemy 1
Gnome Your Enemy 2
Waka Chaka 1
Waka Chaka 2
To Catch a Changeling 1
To Catch a Changeling 2
Adventures in Trollsitting 1
Adventures in Trollsitting 2
Bittersweet Sixteen 1
Bittersweet Sixteen 2
Young Atlas 1
Young Atlas 2
Recipe for Disaster 1

Win lose or Draal 1

17 0 0
By Anonymous-ones

As Toby made his way to the corner of the room, his figure gradually emerged against the backdrop of a well-known height poster adorning the wall. He stood there, holding aloft the infamous sign bearing the APD name and a number, while his initial mugshot was captured.

"What kind of nerd breaks into a museum?

The officer muttered quietly. The camera hummed softly, readying itself to capture the moment, while Toby glanced upward, his lips forming a subtle pout, eyebrows lifting in the realization of his newly acquired criminal record.

"Move to the middle. Pose."

Following Toby's movement to the side upon hearing the command "pose," a shy smile graced his lips. With each click of the camera, Toby struck a different pose. First, he pointed to the sign he was compelled to hold, then he attempted a "handsome" expression while extending the sign further outward. Next, he held the sign above his head. The officer grew increasingly irritated by Toby's antics.

"Okay, come on."

A surprise picture had Toby closest to the camera, with another click.

"No, stop! Next!"

Jim emerged from the opposite side, his posture drooping as he let out a sigh, devoid of any smile. As the camera's whirring intensified, so did Toby's eyes peering from the bottom of the frame. With a decisive click, Toby captured a photo with his arm draped around Jim, both holding up their signs. However, Jim's expression conveyed displeasure while he forced a smile for the camera. The officer let out a groan as the picture was taken. Outside the police station, the vibrant colors of red and blue illuminated the building. Strickler and Barbara expressed their gratitude as they thanked him, Jim, and Toby from inside the car.

"I can't thank you enough for coming to the station. They are so lucky she didn't press any charges."

"Ms. Nomura is a personal friend. She agrees with me that this was nothing more than reckless youth run amok."

"I mean, who else do you think is hiding an evil troll face? Coach Lawrence? Steve? What if Strickler's one of them?"

"Strickler's been teaching history at Arcadia Oaks High since the dawn of history. If he's one, I'm one."

Jim noticed Toby's suspicious gaze fixed on Strickler, his expression betraying a lack of trust. With a scoff and a roll of his eyes, Jim pushed Toby back, reaching for the phone to find the picture Toby had taken of the bridge. However, upon inspection, the symbols were barely discernible as the image was blurred.

"I know where I've seen this bridge. It's the same one that Blinky was talking about."

"What? The Killa-thingy Bridge? That's, like, ancient history, right?"

"They're trying to break Gunmar out. This is bad, Tobes. Like, "Goodbye, Arcadia" bad. As soon as we get home, we're going to Blinky."

The two boys panicked as the driver's side car door was pulled open and Barbara's voice had startled them.

"You didn't have to go through all this trouble, Mr. Strickler."

Jim quickly handed Toby's phone back, hiding his hands as his face had held many emotions. Strickler appeared in the passenger window, startling Jim as he spoke suddenly.

"Please, "Walter." I'm sorry we had to meet under this unfortunate circumstance."

"There must be some way I can repay you. Coffee? Dinner? Appendix removal?"

As she named off what she could do for him, Jim's eyes grew and his eyebrow raised, shocked at what he heard. He looked at Toby, the two sharing a surprising look.

"I-Coffee would be a delight. And a rain check on the appendectomy."

"Looking forward to it, Walter."

"Watch yourself, Young Atlas. Next time, the consequences could be more severe."

"Did you actually just ask my teacher out on a date?"

"Don't you make this about me. You guys broke into a museum! And for this? You are grounded until you apologize to that woman."

Dropping the Chubby Tracker, she started the car while Jim let out a large exhale before her finger was pointed at him again.

"You got me?"

"Yes, Mom."

"Yes, Dr. Lake."

Jim when they get home gose to his room and starts to leave through his window

"Sorry, Mom."

In Troll Market, Blinky,Aaarrrgghh, Jim, and Toby all surrounded Tobys Phone.

"Are you certain? Are you unquestionably, unequivocally..."

"I'm certain."

"Could be anything."

"I concur"

The phone was shown once again, the same blurry image of the bridge being half complete.

"Tobias' photographic skills are less than exemplary."

"Okay, it's a little blurry! You try taking a picture while hauling butt, mister!"

"Okay, well, what about the curator? How could a person just change like that?"

Jim asked quietly while Blinky waved over a waiter, grabbing a drink of the tray as Aaarrrgghh communicates in Troll Language. Blinky responding in it too.

"What? What is it?"

"Changeling."

Aaarrrgghh exclaimed simply, perhaps a tad too loudly for comfort. The drink Blinky had been downing was forcefully expelled as gasps echoed throughout the room. In a swift motion, Blinky attempted to muffle Aaarrrgghh's outburst with just one hand. Every troll in the bar, previously relaxed, turned their attention to the table from which the name had been spoken. In an attempt to diffuse the tension, Blinky let out a nervous chuckle while patting the smooth stone of Aaarrrgghh's face. Gradually, the trolls returned to their conversations as if nothing had occurred.

"Not helping."

"Sorry."

"Changelings haven't been talked about in quite some time. In the Old World, Gumm-Gumms Stole our young and did something unnatural to change them. Their sole purpose: to spy on the world above."

"What did they do to them?"

"Nasty business. Very messy."

"These are the very reasons I doubt your certainty. I don't question you saw a bridge, but Killahead? It would take years to collect all of the stones. Decades, even. You would need an army of changelings."

"I know what I saw."

"These are serious accusations, Master Jim. Without proof, absolute bedlam will ensue."

"Well, we have to tell someone. This is our city, too."

"Who? Our court-appointed psychiatrist? They're never going to believe us."

"Well, if it isn't the piece of flesh I'll pound into pancakes tomorrow. I look forward to your pain and I'll drink to your death."

"Death? What is he talking about? I thought this was only a rematch."

"To challenge a troll's honor can only end in ruin. It's all right there in chapter three of A Brief Recap - You still haven't read the book."

"Now, hold on. This fight, I don't know, maybe we can, um postpone it?"

"Postpone, you say? What a trainer! Does everyone in your company forget how to fight?"

"There are things that have been brought to our attention. Things that have serious implications."

"No, no, no, Master Jim! Shh!"

"By Kanjigar's honor, I would have made your death swift and painless, but, for that act of cowardice, I will show you no mercy when I take back what's rightfully mine. Bid farewell to your loved ones, Jim "the Dead Meat."

"I'm going to die tomorrow."

They two boys shared a sigh. The museum, voices coming from the building as Nomura and Strickler pushed through the doors, horns, and lights cutting into their conversation and lighting the dark walls.

"What was I to do? The boy turned them on me. The goblins were supposed to hide our tracks, not lead them to us! I wasn't supposed to be even guardian the bridge. Your the one who moved it to my humans sides place of work. I have to lead the other assignment."

"I will see to it that your mess is cleaned up."

He pushes open the large blanket as Nomura gave a glare as she stepped through but her tracks stopped as the sound of a sword scraped against rock and her eyes widened. The sight of Bular sharpening his sword against his arm gave Nomura a sign of what her fate could be.

"I'm sorry. You've been compromised."

Strickler mumbled while Nomura turns to him and growls before finding a sword pointed near her chin. She backed up as far as she could, yet, Bular stayed on her path, the sword still aimed.

"Please, Bular, spare me."

"Groveling, Impure?"

"You need me. If you dispose of me, who will replace me? Who will lead the expedition to find the missing? Me and my legion are coming closer and closer everyday. If I am derailed he may never be found. And the boy already knows I'm a changeling. How long do you think it will take for him to find out Strickler is one, too?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there without you. And for the Missing you are forced to do a report on your findings. We will make do."

Her hand was held over her head as she let out a scream, watching as Bular raised his sword. She ran from the large black troll. The evil son slashing at the crates, using those to throw her to the floor. Her eyes caught a glowing green cascade onto the ground. Before she could reach for it, Bular stood tall above her, pointing his sword and raising it once more. As he brought down the weapon, Nomura pulled the Fetch from its crate, using it as her shield, stopping the killing blow.

"Wait! I've acquired the Fetch!"

"The Fetch? More changelings?"

"But we are nearly finished with the bridge. What good would it be to bring another"

"Be quiet, Impure."

"Go on."

"Think how proud your father will be to see his legion grow. Having more to help with finding the Missing. How proud would he be if you were the one to unite both of your fathers strongest weapons."

"Prepare the exchange. In case we're ever one changeling short."

Bular ordered. As he walked off Nomura stood, Strickler, turning around to find her glaring with a grin. Jim as he sat at his desk, a pen in hand and papers scattered around his desk.

"Dear Claire, you're receiving this letter because I've most likely been slaughtered by a troll."

He banged his head on his desk with a sigh before lifting himself back up and crumpling the paper, pulling out a fresh new one, and beginning his thoughts once more as he wrote them down.

"Claire, I don't know how to tell you this, but let me try."

Finding an envelope with the word "Claire" scribbled on it stuck in Jim's hand as he stood behind the curtain, watching her perform with Steve, a broken look plastered on his face. Steve spoke his lines.

"What lady is that which doth enrich the hand of yonder knight? She doth teach the torches to burn bright! It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night like a rich jewel."

Claire had been pushed from the spotlight as Steve spoke, his clear craving for attention was making the situation more unbearable for Claire. Jim couldn't help but follow along.

"Beauty too rich for use. For earth, too dear, so shows a snowy dove trooping with crows. Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight. For I never saw true beauty till this night."

Claire, who was glaring at Steve, heard Jim's voice, her face lighting up at the sight of him. As her line came up, suddenly it felt as if it was her and Jim on that stage, giving her the courage to act better even though she couldn't share the spotlight with him.

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea. My love as deep. The more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite."

Jim watched with a smile, knowing she saw him. Suddenly Eli appeared behind Jim, startling him to close the curtain, blocking Claire from seeing on what he would do.

"She's good, isn't she?"

Eli ran out onto the stage as Jim looked sadly at his letter.

"Yeah, she's great."

"I hear... I hear some..."

Jim slipped the letter into her belongings and walking off, Claire not fast enough to catch him on the other side.

"Goodbye, Claire."

Claire pulled the curtain to find Jim nowhere, her eyes missing the letter.

"Ah, fudgeknuckle!"

"Juliet, find your mark."

At Jim's house, a bell dinged, alerting him to pull out a gourmet meal he had cooked up as Barbara peeked her head in.

"Blueberry waffles? Bacon mac and cheese? Shrimp cakes? What is this, a last meal?"

"Well, I wanted to bake cookies, I decided to make your favorite, and then eh, all your favorites."

"If you think this is going to get you out of apologizing to Ms. Nomura-"

"Hey, can't we just have dinner? We've both been so busy. When's the last time we've really sat down and talked?"

"I'll set the table."

Barbara at the table, her hand rubbing her stomach as Jim ventured into the kitchen, cleaning up.

"Oh! That was delicious. I don't know what I'd do without you, kiddo. I'd be ten pounds lighter, but.."

"Well, you deserve it."

"Shrimp cakes? Gosh, I haven't had those since-"

"Since Dad made them for us?"

" I didn't think you were old enough to remember."

"Oh, I remember enough. I remember how his beard would scratch my face when he hugged me. How he used to make you laugh. But, most of all, how much he hurt you when he left."

"Jim, where is this coming from?"

"No matter what happens to me, I would never leave you like that. At least, well not by choice. You're an amazing person, and I just want you to know I'll always love you."

"Don't you start that talk with me. I'm still hoping you'll end up close at an in-state college. Now, help me clear the dishes. We are going to wrap these up for tomorrow. You have to give me that waffle recipe. If there's anything I could eat forever, it's waffles."

She set the dishes she carried in the sink as Jim slipped a letter meant for her in a cookbook.

"It's here when you need it."

In Jim's bedroom, the alarm clock blinked 2:11, its glow casting a somber light that Jim observed with melancholy. Unable to find rest, Jim grasped his glowing amulet and directed its bright beam onto one of his posters, causing the words to transform into Troll Writing. Startled, he sat up and scanned his room. Bending over his bed, he retrieved a book that had been tucked underneath, then switched on his lamp. Flipping through the pages, he discovered a sketch of the Killahead Bridge along with accompanying information. Using his amulet to illuminate the page, he made the text easier to read. With a smile at his amulet, he directed its light back onto the pages, which turned without his prompting. 

"Weak points. Rule three: Kick him in the Gronk-nuks. Identifying your opponent's weakness."

A beep of the walkie-talkie pulled Jim from his reading, eyeing the communication device.

"Hey, Jimbo. You up?"

"Yeah. How can I sleep?"

"What are you doing?"

"Reading"

"Tomorrow's a pretty big day. You ready?"

"Mmm nope."

"Yeah, me neither. Night, Jimbo."

"Good pep talk, Tobes." 

Sorry I am late!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 80 11
when a father goes mental and a mother just wants to do whats best for her son, she ends up giving her son to monsters in order to protect him. these...
1K 9 21
A Trollhunters AU where Barbara becomes the Trollhunter instead of Jim. After her husband left her and her five year old son all alone, never to retu...
4.4K 98 17
On the way to school, Jim and Raelle's life would be different when they take a shortcut through the canals with their friend Toby and discover an am...
169K 7.1K 41
Meet teenagers Jim Lake and Y/N L/N. Two great kids here in his small town called Arcadia. Although every day might be the same, go to school, do ho...