EMPEROR OF ZHONG YUAN

By Stuntwriter

Also known as Ruler of the Central Plains /Who wins the Central Plains Chinese name; Zhong Yuan Huang Di Dur... More

Chapter 1 The War is coming
Chapter 2 The withered blossom tree
CHAPTER 5 Sentiments and attitudes
Chapter 3 A new chess piece
CHAPTER 6 Silent Pains
CHAPTER 7 Loyal Traitors
CHAPTER 8 Realizations
Chapter 4 The grudges, new and old.
Chapter 9 Imperial Court meeting
Chapter 11 Lacking Goodness
Chapter 12 His Majesty
Chapter 13 Confessions and Revelations
Chapter 14 Old Friends and New enemies
Chapter 15 Expectations and rewards.
CHAPTER 16 Banquets
CHAPTER 17 The real performance act
Chapter 18 Illegitimate
Chapter 19 World and Its People are Ruthless
Chapter 20 Explanations
Chapter 21 Guesses and Assumptions
Chapter 22 Assassinations
Chapter 23 Seeking the Truth
Chapter 24 Plans and Ambitions
Chapter 25 Intentions

Chapter 10 The Imperial Palace

2 0 0
By Stuntwriter

After the court was dismissed, noise ensued as the officials went on to be at ease with each other. The Jiang cousins walked, speaking amongst themselves, and a few steps behind them was Chancellor Guo and his grandson Director Bai. While everything went according to plan, Jiang Wei’s plan, Chancellor Guo had yet to understand Jiang Wei’s intentions.

He spoke as though he was having a monologue, “This man, what is his intention?”

Director Bai heard this but said nothing, just looking at Jiang Wei’s figure. Chancellor Guo slowed down, turning to face Director Bai, “Young one, you told me that the young commandant of the Jiang family told you this would happen and to discuss with me. Why do you think he did that?”

Yuan Qi bowed from the waist and saluted respectfully before delving in, “Grandfather, even I still don’t know his intention. Maybe, he’s seeking your support for a big thing. For what I have heard, Taishan Hall and Tianji Pavilion are forming an alliance. It could be someone related to this matter.”

Chancellor Guo turned confused, “What does the young commandant and Taishan Hall have to do with each other?”

Yuan Qi shook his head, “It is not clear to me either. All I know is that he is a key player for the Taishan Hall Master.”

Chancellor Guo took in a deep breath, pondering on a thought for a moment. "These days, martial arts sects are slowly getting involved in political matters. Who knows what troubles this will bring to our dynasty." He then turned and continued to walk, and he said, “Now that I’m on house arrest, and so is Jiang Jing, I wonder; what will happen in the Capital?”

Yuan Qi thought he understood his grandfather chancellor’s worries, however Chancellor Guo was not worried at all. He was expectant.“Chancellor Guo, can we have a talk before you leave?”

Chief Minister Ci spoke from behind, prompting the two to turn. Yuan Qi immediately excused himself, “I have business to finish at the Censorate of Judicature and Revision. Please, my elders, excuse me.” Yuan Qi bowed before he walked alone, leaving the two high officials.

The two walked, their destination the Office of Bureaucracy. Once in the private space of Chief Minister Ci’s office, Chancellor Guo spoke, still standing, “Chief Minister Ci, What do you call me here for?”

Ci Han Li was previously the Agriculture Minister before having a skyrocketing promotion to Chief Minister Of Bureaucracy three years ago. As the Office of Bureaucracy delt with matters of the ministry of revenue and agriculture, it was later realized that he was indeed fit for the job. Ci Han Li did not form cliques, was shrewd and unreadable but he was still loyal. Chancellor Guo didn’t have any problems with him.

“Chancellor Guo, we are still colleagues after all. Sit, have some tea.” Chief Minister Ci said with a smile on his face. Seeing no reason to refuse, Chancellor Guo sat down, but didn’t touch the pot of tea close to him. Chief Minister Ci laughed when he noticed this, but didn’t insist on it. “Alright. Chancellor Guo, I know you dislike beating around the bush. So, allow me to get down to business. I…”

Chancellor Guo interrupted, his face serious, “If it has anything to do with the topic you brought forward today, I’m afraid I cannot help you. The Department of State Affairs is His Majesty’s territory. For you to carelessly bring it up in front of His Highness Crown Prince, do you no longer fear losing your position?”

Chief Minister Ci laughed, more of a short breathy laugh, before answering, “Chancellor Guo. I know my position is not as stable as yours. A veteran of the imperial court, a man of high status and influence. Chancellor Guo, I can’t do what you did today, risk your position just to bring your nemesis back to reality.”

Chancellor Guo feigned ignorance, “What do you mean?”

Chief Minister Ci smiled, “Chancellor Guo, no need to pretend. After all, we are politicians. Every move holds a deeper meaning than what a normal person dares to discern. Like a game of weiqi (Chinese chess), each move is strategic and meaningful. What fascinates me, however, is the extremes you took today; making His Highness have no choice but to make a choice between you and Minister Jiang. It matters where His Highness’ thoughts stand but I think you did that not because His Highness has great respect for you, but because you already prepared a way out. Commandant Jiang, am I right?”

Chancellor Guo was calm, his expression nonchalant except his eyes which were glaring at Chief Minister Ci. “Chief Minister Ci, make your point clear please, I have business elsewhere.”

Chief Minister Ci jumped out of his seat animatedly, “You didn’t refuse?”

Chancellor Guo stood as well, “Now that Chief Minister Ci has gotten the answer you wanted, then I am leaving.”

Chief Minister Ci quickly stopped him, “Wait a second.” Chancellor Guo met Ci Han Li’s gaze with a hard expression. “I had initially called you here on matters of the Department of State Affairs, but you turned it down before you I even spoke, and now you want to leave. I’m afraid I can’t let you.”

Chancellor Guo frowned, “Why?”

Chief Minister Ci turned serious, “Recently, I got news from an official in the Ministry of Revenue that Minister Jiang is getting too friendly with many high officials under the Department of State Affairs. Even if it was of socialization amongst colleagues, Ministry of Revenue has little to no connection with the Bureau of International Relations and Directorate of Imperial Coachmen.” Chancellor Guo nodded slightly at this. “Chancellor Guo, you know it clearer than me. It is not a secret what Minister Jiang wants; many officials have their eyes on that position as well. However, if this goes on, then I am sure that that position wouldn’t be the only thing he desires.”

Chancellor Guo was surprised with this comment, “What makes you say that?”

Chief Minister Ci went ahead to explain, “All these years, Minister Jiang has been building his prestige, fostering relations with majority of the court officials despite their ministry or directorate. As of this time, few people have refused him and even fewer have survived because they are under your wing. The same goes to Director Bai. You saw it today, Jiang Jing wanted to bring you, your young grandson and the young Jiang commandant down with one swing. Should he have succeeded, even I wouldn’t have the power to stop him from doing what he wants.”

Although Chancellor Guo didn’t want to openly admit it, it did worry him regarding Minister Jiang’s influence in court. Majority of the court ministers were his puppets, only few were truly loyal to the throne and their sole duty in the imperial court. Serving The Emperor and Great Jin. “Chief Minister Ci, as much as I dislike having telling you this, it indeed is a great worry of mine. Do you have any idea how to curb this?”

Chief Minister Ci nodded, “Chancellor Guo, this is what I wanted to discuss with you. As of now, Minister of Justice Fu is ill and hasn’t attended the past four court meetings. Before this incident, I had considered to have him be promoted to Minister of War and have him be in charge of both the ministry of war and justice. In the previous years, ministers of war have always been a highly considered choice for the position of Grand Minister of State Affairs, so by placing Minister Fu as a minister of two highly significant ministries he has an added advantage for the race to the position. Minister Fu and I are agemates, we did the imperial exam together. I know he is loyal and stout, he is most suited for this position.”

Chancellor Guo was skeptical, “Even if Minister Fu took that position, it doesn’t really control Minister Jiang’s ambitions. How sure are you that this plan will ensure Minister Jiang’s downfall?”

Chief Minister Ci lowered his voice, and spoke with a sinister tone, “Chancellor Guo, you must be joking? Minister Jiang is backed by the Jiang army; he is too powerful in court. Which Emperor have you ever met who allows such a powerful minister to stay alive for too long.? If Minister Jiang doesn’t give up, naturally the Jiang family will have to pay with their lives. The Jiang family’s prestige is rapidly growing, His Majesty won’t sit back idly and not do anything.” Chancellor Guo met Chief Minister Ci’s gaze, sharing the same expression of dread and understanding.

“Xiao Wei, today you did a good thing. Even I did not know what to say. Jing always says that I should speak less, if possible I shouldn’t speak at all during these meetings! Luckily, you were there.” Jiang Jie Zhan, General Jiang, praised heartily as the three walked towards the inner palace gate.

Jiang Wei answered simply, “I’m undeserving of that compliment, General. I just saw Minister Brother been backed to a corner and offered him a way out.”

Jiang Wei went ahead to salute to Jiang Jing, his face serious and his tone hard, “Minister Jiang, I apologize for not being able to help you take down Chancellor Guo today, and instead caused you to be on house arrest and have your salary deducted. I am willing to be punished.”

Jiang Jing nearly sneered out loud. Even though he had no proof, Jiang Jing knew from his gut instincts that Jiang Wei had something to do with the way things went on today, and he could barely contain his anger. Jiang Jing feigned anxiousness and said, “Xiao Wei, you need not feel guilty. You have done nothing wrong. It should be me, this minister, who should be saluting you. After all, you saved my life.”

A silent warning seemed to resonate in Jiang Jing’s words, as if Jiang Wei shouldn’t have saved him for he won’t get such a chance again. Jiang Wei immediately caught onto this but said nothing.

Amidst all this, Yuan Qi walked before the Jiang cousins and immediately bowed to Jiang Wei, “Commandant Jiang, thank you for saving my grandfather. My gratitude is immense and I have no idea how to repay you!” Yuan Qi said, nearly shouting, as he saluted Jiang Wei.

General Jiang was surprised with this action and scolded, “Who is this shouting in front of this great general?” Minister Jiang was not expecting this as well, but said nothing and watched Jiang Wei’s movements. “Director Bai, what do you mean by “saving”? All I did was give His Highness a suggestion! It was His Highness’ decision whether to listen or ignore. Besides, Chancellor Guo is a veteran of the imperial court, a loyal courtier of His Majesty and the Empire. Unless it was His Majesty’s intention to let him retire, Chancellor Guo wouldn’t have suffered any serious loses today. If anything, I caused harm by having Chancellor Guo’s salary deducted and additional house arrest. You embarrass me and yourself, Director Bai.”

Yuan Qi straightened his back, seemingly nonchalant from Jiang Wei’s demeaning comment. “Commandant Jiang seems to understand His Highness’ thoughts well. The true characteristic of a loyal courtier is understanding His Ruler’s thoughts and mind. I am impressed.” Jiang Wei didn’t speak, instead casting a side-look at Jiang Jing who stood there and brazenly watched every move.

“Commandant Jiang, we have rarely met since you came to the capital. Today has brought us together, how about I give you a tour of the Censorate of Judicature and Revision. Maybe, after the war you will be assigned a position in this bureau.”

Jiang Wei turned to Jiang Jing who spoke immediately, “What a generous offer, Director Bai. Xiao Wei, although Director Bai is older than you with a year, you can still learn a lot from him. You may go and familiar yourself with the palace. If you meet any trouble, I’ll be in my office in the Ministry of Revenue.”

Director Bai snickered a bit and said, “Minister Jiang, the Crown Prince’s edict clearly stated that you are to be on house arrest as soon as today. Minister Jiang, are you resisting an edict?”

General Jiang was triggered a bit and he became aggressive, “What is this little kid saying? Are you threatening my brother? In front of me? Do you not fear death?”

Jiang Wei immediately interfered, “General, we are in the palace. Please be a bit patient.”

General Jiang turned to Jiang Wei, anger having turned his face red, “Xiao Wei, why are you saying this? Did you not hear how he spoke to Jing? Jing is your Minister Brother; how can you allow this lowly official to treat your family this way?”

Jiang Wei bowed more solemnly, and realizing the scene was garnering too much unnecessary attention from passing court officials, Jiang Jing finally spoke, “What are you so angry about? Director Bai was talking to me, and yet I am not even pissed. See how Xiao Wei is so apologetic, yet you do this to him. Control your emotions a bit more, General.”

Jie Zhan hmphed but said nothing else, helping Jiang Wei to stand straight. Jiang Wei said, “This commandant will walk with Director Bai. Older brothers, I am leaving. I will hurry back as soon as I am done.” Jiang Jing nodded with a suspicious look but General Jiang walked past Jiang Wei and Yuan Qi, saying nothing. Jiang Jing followed soon after, a plan forming in his mind making him very delighted.

Jiang Wei walked beside Yuan Qi, taking his surroundings. The numerous complex white pathways and identical red walls with white strips seemingly took his interest as they navigated their way to the Ministry of Justice. Like most ministries, the Ministry of Justice was on the eastern side of the imperial palace, its low-level buildings adorned with plain mahogany walls and dull grey rooftiles.

Unlike the extravagance of the palace, the ministries were humble and frugal with little expensive decorations. As Yuan Qi led Jiang Wei through a corner, they coincidentally met with the figure from the Grand Imperial Hall.

Still dressed in his golden robe, Crown Prince walked towards the entrance to the Ministry of War which Yuan Qi and Jiang Wei were only going to pass by. “Greetings His Highness Crown Prince.” Both officials bowed from waist down as Crown Prince’s entourage neared them.

“Commandant Jiang, Director Bai. Rise, quickly.” Crown Prince insisted, his voice sounding pleased. It was easy to recognize between the two even from afar, as Jiang Wei wore blue official robe due to his status as Commandant and Bai Yuan Qi wore a peach blossom pink official robe to reflect his status as Director.

“May I dare to ask His Highness Crown, what brings His Highness Crown Prince to the Ministry of War?” Director Bai asked, sounding courteous. Crown Prince looked at the board perched above the door, and he seemed surprised to be here.

Crown Prince cleared his throat roughly and said, “Ah, well. Chief Minister Ci aired out his grievances in regard to the lack of a supervising minister in the Ministry of War, and it made sense so I am here to take a look.”

Director Bai nodded, “His Highness is benevolent and listens to his courtiers. Great Jin is truly blessed to have His Highness as Crown Prince.” Jiang Wei smiled but said nothing, and Crown Prince had faced no shortage of flattery so he only answered, “Good words, Director Bai.”

Jiang Wei had a thought and spoke, “Your Highness, can we accompany you as you survey the Ministry of War?”

Crown Prince smiled while Yuan Qi turned to stare at Jiang Wei with slight shock expressed on his face with his brows and eyes. “Commandant Jiang is curious about the ministry of war?”

Jiang Wei shook his head, “Replying to His Highness Crown Prince, not at all. The honor of being seen by Your Highness is more tempting than any position in the ministry of war.”

Crown Prince laughed, surprised by such a bold answer while everyone else, including His Highness’ entourage of eunuchs and palace maids, stared at Jiang Wei like he grew an extra head for him to be this bold in front of His Highness.

“Such a bold response, I like it. Let’s go.” And the three entered followed by His Highness’ entourage. Only three steps in, the directors and vice directors of the bureaus under the ministry of war all came out in hastened and unorderly fashion, greeting His Highness anxiously as they did not expect his visit.

“Greetings Your Highness Crown Prince.”

In the Ministry of war there were only eight officials on duty, making the front courtyard seem desolate and abandoned.

Crown Prince, noticing this, asked worriedly, “In the entire courtyard, only you eight are here? Where are the rest?”

Out of the eight, the Head Director of the Directorate of Armaments Hu Ge, Director Hu, spoke out, “Replying to His Highness Crown Prince, the rest were dismissed due to lack of funds to pay them. I have sent a report about this several times to the Ministry of Revenue but they dare not mention this as it is to do with the Department of State Affairs. Naturally, we dare not disturb His Highness or His Majesty, and have kept it quiet until today.”

This information did not make sense to Jiang Wei. Since the last World Alliance Banquet, His Majesty has been carefully planning to launch a war against Duan in order to truly become the Emperor of the Central Plains. He wouldn’t have neglected the Ministry of war which is crucial for the war. Unless, he had given the duties of the ministry of war to another, high likely the Lord of Ji or the Imperial Guards Directorate. As Director Bai looked around, even he could tell this has gone too far. There were broken pillars and unkept pavements, not to mention the lack of organization amongst the civil officials present. Truly an awful sight.

“Even so, for how long has this been going on exactly? Why did I not hear anything of this matter? You are the highest ranking amongst your current colleagues. Why did you not report any of this during the past court meetings? Look at the state of this place, is this what a ministry of war should look like?”

The eight officials immediately fell to their knees when they realized His Highness was angry, quickly and cowardly begging for their life while at the same time admitting to their mistake. “Your Highness calm down. We have committed a grave sin and deceived the Emperor. We deserve to die. Please Your Highness, show mercy!”

Crown Prince, seeing his officials so sorrowful, bent down to help them stand as he asked calmly, “Rise, all of you stand.” The officials stood and Crown Prince continued, “Director Hu, please guide me through the ministry’s bureaus. Don’t be afraid to tell me anything that is wrong or is not right. I, this Crown Prince, am here. I will ensure everything is dealt with as soon as possible.”

Streams of gratitude and gladness followed as the officials bowed multiple times before His Highness could stop them. After a few hours of critically analyzing the sorry state of the ministry of war, Crown Prince took a break at the empty minister’s office. Unlike the other parts of the ministry, the office was pristine and bright with beautiful decorations and famous paintings set up on the shelves and walls. Likely arranged by His Highness’ entourage while he was performing the inspection.

Tea was served in porcelain pots and served on jade tea cups, and delicate-looking cakes and buns were served on the side. Jiang Wei couldn’t help but shake his head. Such fuss over small things while the ministry of war was falling apart. Jiang Wei could only hide his treasonous thoughts in his mind.

Crown Prince spoke whilst looking at Director Hu’s detailed report, alerting Yuan Qi and Jiang Wei out of their thoughts, “I’ve thought about it. Seeing so many unfinished things in the ministry of war, it is for the best that we allocate the vacant positions to recent imperial exam high scorers. According to law, those who were in top 20 were taken by the ministries. However, only 10 were chosen this year. I will talk with Father Emperor to discuss this matter, the sooner the better.”

Yuan Qi and Jiang Wei bowed, “His Highness is wise.”

Crown Prince turned to the two, closing the report, “And you, what are your thoughts on this matter?”

Yuan Qi and Jiang Wei shared a look, seeming of apprehension. Crown Prince quickly added, “You can speak freely, I won’t take offense.” Yuan Qi spoke first after a while, “Your Highness Crown Prince, I think that matters to do with the ministry of war are not as simple as they seem. Since the traitor surnamed Pang was executed, His Majesty took charge of the Department of State Affairs but did not concern himself with its matters too much. Your Highness, why do you think His Majesty did this?”

Crown Prince thought about it and answered shortly after, “It could be that Father Emperor wanted to renovate it after the war.”

Yuan Qi nodded, “That is a possibility, Your Highness. Another reason could be because he wants to hand over the position of minister of war to someone who is probably already on his way.”

Crown Prince paused, rethinking Director Bai’s words. He had heard from His Majesty that Lord of Ji was coming back to the capital and this was a secret matter, not to be revealed to outsiders. “How sure are you that the new Minister of War is on his way?”

Yuan Qi answered, “Replying to His Highness Crown Prince, although the ministry is desolate and lacks enough labor, it is still functioning and active with its matters. It is only held up by the lack of labor. It is no secret that His Majesty has been saving as much money in the Imperial Treasury as possible for the sake of war with Duan, however why is it that only the Ministry of War is having such troubles while other ministries are doing just fine?”

“Actually, Your Highness Crown Prince, I have a different thought to Director Bai.” Jiang Wei spoke. Crown Prince said, “Speak, I want to hear your thoughts.”

Jiang Wei went ahead and explained, “Your Highness, what Director Bai said makes sense. Although it is hard to predict who His Majesty plans to hand over the Ministry of War to, it could also be a tactic against the enemy. I remember when I was studying I read about a military tactic used by the people of Duan during the reign of Jin Founding Emperor, Yellow Emperor Xiao Jin.

Back then, Duan was called Bei Li and was a small state-country occupying the northwestern and western regions of current Duan. At that time, the Yellow Emperor had just put in place the six ministries, but the ministry of war was failing and unkept unlike the other ministries. Having heard of this matter, Bei Li King Zhongzheng, Han Cheng, used this information to wage war with Jin.

At the time, this wasn’t a military strategy and Bei Li was able to push the Jin-Bei Li boundary farther into our kingdom. However, this time it could be. Deceptions are one of the many plays of war, by deceiving Duan that we do not have a stable preparation for war, we could have a chance to turn their overconfidence to their loss and our advantage.”

“Well said!” A strong voice boomed from behind the door, a voice too familiar to the figures in the room. Even before the door opened, Jiang Wei and Yuan Qi knelt in respect while Crown Prince stood and bowed from his waist, his arms extended in salute. “Greetings to His Majesty the Emperor. May the Holy One live for a thousand years.”

Emperor Ru An strolled in, passing Jiang Wei and Yuan Qi before stopping in front of Crown Prince. His Majesty held Crown Prince’s arm, “Rise. All of you, at ease.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Crown Prince met his Father Emperor’s gaze, “Father Emperor is here for…” Emperor Ru An understood Crown Prince’s confusion and spoke of it, “Zhen was in the Eastern Palace’s Hua Meng (Dreaming Flowers) Garden and Zhen happened to see Crown Prince turn back. When Zhen asked, Zhen was informed that Crown Prince was doing an inspection at the Ministry of War. Zhen came here to see how things were.”

In reality, this was a lie carefully crafted by His Majesty in order ensure that Crown Prince wouldn't ask more on the matter. In fact, it was His Majesty's plan to make the Ministry of War look so disheveled to the point of neglect, but he hadn't thought through explaining his plans to Crown Prince.

His Majesty turned to Jiang Wei and Yuan Qi, “You two must be Commandant Jiang and Director Bai, right?” They nodded and agreed verbally with a simple yes. His Majesty nodded, “Zhen remembers both of you. One is the 26th Year of Anning’s imperial examination’s top scorer and the other is the youngest commandant in his generation with great military merits. Out of your generation, you two are among the highest placed prodigies, of course Zhen knows you. Zhen is happy that you are advising Crown Prince. Zhen heard what you were saying from behind the door, and I can confirm that Commandant Jiang was most accurate in understanding Zhen’s thoughts, while Director Bai is extremely farsighted and observant. Speak more, now that you can see Zhen, Zhen wants to hear more of your thoughts.”

His Majesty sat at the empty chair beside Crown Prince while Crown Prince opted to stand a step forward from His Majesty. To many, this would be an honor and worth dying for without regret, however, to Yuan Qi and Jiang Wei, it felt like a sheep being led to slaughter. His Majesty was majestic and carried an authoritative aura, unlike Crown Prince who was outgoing and inviting. It was not easy to speak freely to the ruler of Jin, and this make Yuan Qi a bit nervous.

Jiang Wei, calm and unnerved, continued with his earlier words, “Replying to His Majesty and His Highness Crown Prince, this commandant will speak more on my earlier words. Before His Majesty came in, this commandant was going to recommend someone for the position of Minister of War, to ease His Majesty and His Highness Crown Prince’s worries.”

Emperor Ru An shared a look with Crown Prince before asking, “Really? Who are you recommending?” Jiang Wei knelt and saluted in Jin military fashion, “Your Majesty, please consider His Grace, Lord of Ji for the position of Minister of War. For this I have two reasons why: First, His Grace has military accomplishments making him a reasonable choice for the position. Second, His Grace is Her Majesty the Empress’ younger brother and only living family. Having experienced the situation of the Lord of Ji’s capture by the Zhi Pang Army, Her Majesty would very much appreciate having her close family even closer and safer. After all, the Yin army was incorporated into the Imperial Guards Directorate. Lord of Ji no longer has the Li Liang Army to protect him. By these two reasons, it should be enough to consider His Grace Lord of Ji.”

His Majesty was impressed. This had been his chain of thought while he prepared to have Yin Chao return to the capital. To think that even 18-year-old Commandant Jiang Wei could also have this chain of thought really made him see himself in him.

Jiang Wei did well in feigning ignorance. While he had sensed someone was listening at the door and figured out that it was His Majesty did he speak those words. Using the secret information that he had received yesterday saying the Lord of Ji was returning to the capital, Jiang Wei carefully picked his words and made the information work for his betterment.

By being in His Majesty and His Highness Crown Prince’s good books, naturally Jiang Wei would have an easier way executing his mission. Yuan Qi, seeing how His Majesty’s eyes shone with high impression while looking at Jiang Wei, knew his hesitance had cost him dearly. While Chancellor Guo had accidentally revealed to Yuan Qi that His Grace Lord of Ji would be returning secretly to take over the Ministry of War, Yuan Qi had planned to use his knowledge and understanding of the matter to gain an upper hand. However, fearing His Majesty’s suspicion and accidentally implicate his grandfather’s sin, Yuan Qi didn’t dare mention it and at that moment he could only feel regret.

“Father Emperor, Commandant Jiang has good reasoning and a great perception of matters. He is a valuable talent.” Crown Prince praised; his eyes gleaming with pride. “Crown Prince is right. Commandant Jiang, remind Zhen, what is your relation with Jiang Jing?”

Jiang Wei paused before answering, a bit taken aback by this sudden query, “Jiang Jing is my second older cousin. My father, County Registrar of Jingtian County in Jiangnan Province, Jiang Yong, is his uncle.”

This attracted His Majesty’s attention. “You are Jiang Yong’s son?” Jiang Wei answered confidently, “Yes, I am his second son.” Jiang Wei was the Second Young Master of the Registrar’s residence.

His Majesty smiled, seeming to reminisce, “Back then, your father was a lot like you. Talented and with bright future prospects. Sadly, he refused to stay in the capital and moved to Jiangnan and began his career there. Zhen was young and had just ascended the throne, so Zhen didn’t have a lot of talented officials to aid me. Although Jiang Yong left the capital, he did not cease to do what was required of him and served Great Jin with loyalty and dignity. Zhen greatly appreciates your father.”

Jiang Wei said, “I am sure if Father knew of this, he would be humbled by His Majesty’s expectations of him. He would be grateful that His Majesty still recognizes his efforts and hard work.”

His Majesty dismissed the matter, “Let it be, let it be. In other matters, Crown Prince will leave with the Jiang army tomorrow night under the guise of the night parade. Zhen hereby promote you, Jiang Wei, to General of second military rank, in charge of 1500 foot Imperial guards and 1500 picked calvary selected from the Imperial Army, and Zhen entrusts Crown Prince’s well-being and safety to you. Zhen understands, in matters of war it is hardest to protect. Zhen doesn’t give you this promotion just for the sake of Crown Prince, Zhen does this because Zhen has seen your capabilities. Jiang Wei, you are a smart and talented young man, do not disappoint Zhen.”

Jiang Wei expressed his gratitude, kowtowing three times to show his sincerity, and said, “Jiang Wei will not let His Majesty’s expectations of me down. His Majesty need not worry.”

His Majesty stood and helped Jiang Wei stand, “That is good. Zhen will have the edict written and taken to General of the Southwest Jiang and have him take care of the rest. Remember Zhen’s words, do not disappoint Zhen.”

Jiang Wei answered firmly, “Yes.” Content with this His Majesty turned to Crown Prince, “It is almost the hour of the horse (time for lunch). Empress told Zhen to remind Crown Prince to join her for lunch today. Coincidentally, Zhen was heading to Empress’ Phoenix Palace for lunch. Crown Prince, will you walk with Zhen?”

Why use so many words just to ask for company? Jiang Wei thought as Crown Prince bowed, “This Crown Prince is willing to go with Father Emperor.” His Majesty smiled and led the way, Crown Prince pausing to address Jiang Wei, “Congratulations, Lieutenant General Jiang. In the future, this Crown Prince and Lieutenant General will meet each other more often.”

Jiang Wei saluted Crown Prince, “Good day His Majesty. Good day His Highness Crown Prince.” Crown Prince smiled as well, his pleasantness reaching his eyes, before hurrying to walk with His Majesty.

When alone after a long, Yuan Qi heaved a sigh, easing the tension that was on his shoulders, “Congratulations, Lieutenant General. Your future seems bright. In our future encounters, this civil subject will have to bow and salute you.” Jiang Wei said nothing, instead thinking of today’s turnout and His Majesty’s words. Truly, as a monarch should be, His Majesty’s words were not as simple as they seemed.

His Majesty and Crown Prince walked together, side by side, and anyone could tell that they were indeed father and son. Out of all his sons, only Feng Ju, Crown Prince, resembled His Majesty’s almond-shaped eyes, straight nose and stout masculine figure. Seemingly with his mother’s temperament, many courtiers described Crown Prince as friendly and outgoing and with a good temper. However, to His Majesty, Feng Ju was a lot like himself; calculating and always wearing a mask.

Crown Prince was a lonely figure, all his brothers saw him as an obstacle and his only sister First Princess died for his sake, saving him from First Prince’s conspiracy. While Second Princess was still alive, she had her own affairs and hardly involved herself with matters of the Imperial. Sad to say, but Crown Prince was a pitiful person.

His Majesty had done a lot of things to protect his beloved son, including denying him the Department of State Affairs and tolerating Xue Yue Garden in order to allow his plans to get into motion, yet it was these things and others that estranged them and made them less of father and son and more of monarch and subject.

This matter really pained His Majesty, but as he would have it, he rarely spoke of sentiments and pitiful emotions so things gradually became irreversible and unrepairable.“Crown Prince, what do you think of Jiang Wei?”

Crown Prince thought for a while, seeming to understand His Majesty’s concern. Although His Highness had a good relationship with the Jiang family before his Crown Princedom, this time matters were different. Not only was Jiang Jing eager for the position of Grand Minister which was akin to competing with His Highness Crown Prince, but he also socialized a lot and accumulated his power greatly. This threatened the sovereignty of the Imperial family, and His Highness naturally understood this issue would be a great obstacle in his future should he become Emperor.

Jiang Wei seemingly stood with his cousin, but he was also not really with his cousin, making him unreadable. His Majesty spoke more when Crown Prince didn’t answer, “Just now Zhen tested this young man, and he did very well. He is talented and smart, someone who will truly help Crown Prince in your future campaigns. However, he isn’t as simple as he seems. At one point, Zhen thought he was one with his cousin, but having assessed him it seems to be contradictory. This kind of person, Crown Prince should be more cautious with having him around. Don’t give him too much leeway when you engage with him, else you end up as his chess piece instead of the other way around.”

Crown Prince asked genuinely, “Was the position of Lieutenant General the test? This Crown Prince noticed that you gave him control of fewer soldiers than a true Lieutenant should have. Although they are from the Imperial Army, it is still less compared to how much a Imperial Commandant commands.”

His Majesty seemed proud of His Highness’ judgement, “Correct. Zhen used the position to do two things. First, to pull Jiang Wei to your side. By giving him such a meteoric promotion, it will be revealed to the court that Jiang Wei has Zhen’s and Crown Prince’s trust. This way, if he dared to play two sides, he wouldn’t succeed and instead be forced to pick a side, Crown Prince’s side. Second, Zhen wants to control Jiang Wei. Jiang Wei is not an easy person to read, and his inscrutability makes his even more of a trouble. Although he seems to be stout and wise, Zhen still desires to test him a bit more and ensure he is truly trustworthy.”

For a moment, Crown Prince was touched that His Majesty had done all these things for his good, until it dawned on Crown Prince that his Majesty was just ensuring that no threats neared his apparent heir, not his son. For the two of them had long abandoned the thought of father and son. After all, they were royals, and this was the Palace. Behind their brilliant and gilded appearance, both the palace and the royal family held secrets and thought only of themselves, all for their own survival.

Crown Prince’s excitement eventually died down, revealing his freezing heart and his cold expression.“Thank you Father Emperor for making plans for Crown Prince.”

Despite Crown Prince’s unmoved and cold expression, His Majesty was happy with Crown Prince finally seeing that he did everything for his good. His Majesty smiled, “Zhen makes plans for Crown Prince so Crown Prince can have a safer and more comfortable pathway to the throne. Hearing you realize this, Zhen is content. No need to be too courteous, Ju… Crown Prince.”

The way His Majesty said Crown Prince sounded unintended, as though he was going to say something else, but Crown Prince did not pay attention and continued to walk with His Majesty. Deep down, His Majesty’s heart twisted in guilt, for after many years he never addressed Crown Prince as son or Ju’er to exert intimacy. Now, His Highness would soon match to war and his safety would be jeopardized as he could no longer be kept safe in the capital under His Majesty’s meticulous plans. For this matter, although His Majesty seemed unnerved and only concerned with winning the war, His Majesty was in truth very anxious and worried and could only hope his son would understand His Majesty’s emotions and return safely from war.

Meanwhile, when Yuan Qi and Jiang Wei were walking back from Ministry of war, a small group of palace maids were walking past and happen to spill dirty water on Jiang Wei. Forced to change in the palace, Jiang Wei was escorted to a small tea room where he would stay until new clothes were found. Coincidentally, Yuan Qi was taken away and couldn’t stay with Jiang Wei. Needless to say, a plot was cooking and Jiang Wei could smell it stench from a mile away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

743K 30.9K 98
Song Jinxi really likes the overlord villain in a story about a sadomasochistic president. The villain is handsome and innocent, smarter than demon...
15.1K 175 126
The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Lisa was born to be a Star General. She was merely...
6.1K 1.4K 35
Hustling is a different ball game in this part of the country;Lagos. At least, that's how Temiloluwa sees it. All she wants to do is listen to her mu...
26K 2.6K 42
" The darkness closed in around him, like a shroud of silence. Veeranshu's eyes fluttered open, and he was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. Groggily...