Pulse and Petals

By CarnationCarrie

Evara Nayak (23) I moved to New York, the city where dreams come true. I shouldn't even be here in the first... More

Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec
Evara
Evara
Alec
Evara
Alec

Alec

57 5 28
By CarnationCarrie

I grab a cup of coffee from the hospital cafeteria, the bitter aroma awakening my senses after a long, exhausting day. Finally alone, I take a moment to myself as I watch the setting sun, but my mind keeps drifting back to Evara—her moans, her soft skin, her every little gasp from this morning replaying in my head like a broken record. Damn, that woman knows how to leave a mark. 

Every word she speaks, every little gesture she makes, her innocent charm, everything drives me wild, making me want to do the filthiest things imaginable to her.

God, I wanted to kiss her so bad, I can't help but wonder about her taste. Is it all sugary sweetness like her public persona suggests, or does she harbor a dirty little secret, a taste of sin just waiting to be discovered?

Evara has a wild side, that much is clear to me. I can see right through her, see the hunger for something more burning beneath the surface. She may present herself as refined and proper, but I know better. I've seen the fire burning behind those innocent eyes, felt the urgency in her touch. She's aching for something, something raw and untamed, and I'm more than willing to give it to her. I can see it in the way she moves, the way she responds to my touch.

Her sweet talk? It's like pouring gasoline on an already blazing fire, igniting an insatiable hunger deep within me. I can't help but imagine trailing my tongue along every inch of her. I want to strip away her innocence and indulge in every dirty fantasy that's been driving me crazy since the moment I laid eyes on her.

She's this forbidden fruit, just waiting to be plucked and savored in all its sinful glory.

Lost in my thoughts, my pager suddenly starts beeping, pulling me back to reality.
I rush to see why I've been paged, only to find out that one of the interns, Dr. Felix Richmond, fucked up big time.

"What exactly happened?" I ask Dr. Richmond in a calm and collected tone.

"I... I accidentally gave the wrong dosage of medication," he stammers, his voice tinged with panic. "The vitals are going up..."

Immediately, I step in to stabilize the patient, administering the necessary antidote.

I page Dr. Arora to join us and she shows up in 2 minutes.

"What do we have, Dr. Oberoi-Carson?", she asks, panting.

"Dr. Arora, closely monitor the patient's vital signs, provide supportive care— some IV fluids or oxygen therapy, and closely observe for any signs of worsening condition," I instruct her firmly. "If anything changes, I want you to page me immediately."

She nods in agreement.

Once the situation is under control, I turn my attention back to Dr. Richmond. "You. Outside," I command, my voice sharp.

As we step out of the room, Dr. Richmond speaks up, his voice trembling with remorse. "I'm so sorry, Dr. Oberoi-Carson. I know I messed up."

I turn to him and fix my gaze on him, my expression stern yet composed. "You do realize that could have cost the patient her life, don't you?" I ask, my tone firm.

"Yes," Dr. Richmond replies, his voice barely above a whisper.

"I don't know why you got distracted and almost killed a patient," I continue, my words punctuated with icy fury.  "But you better figure it out fast. Let me make one thing crystal clear: there are no second chances when it comes to patient well-being. One mistake, and you're out."

Dr. Richmond pales at my words, the gravity of his error sinking in.

"Consider this your first and last warning," I snap, my voice a harsh reminder of the consequences of his actions.

Dr. Richmond nods in understanding, his eyes downcast.

"You are dismissed," I conclude firmly. "And don't even think about touching another patient until you get your act together."

With that, I turn on my heel and walk away, leaving Dr. Richmond to stew in his own incompetence.

******

I'm buried in reports when Nick barges into my cabin, his excitement palpable. "Alec, guess who scrubbed in with the Head of Neurosurgery," he announces, with his stupid grin.

I sigh, already knowing where this conversation is headed. "You can just call her mom," I mutter, my attention still fixed on the paperwork scattered across my desk.

But Nick is undeterred, pulling up a chair and making himself at home. "Yeah, same thing," he quips, "Anyway, it was amazing! Watching her do her thing."

As Nick rambles on about his day, I can't help but feel a pang of nostalgia. It reminds me of my own first surgery with Mom, the rush of adrenaline and the sense of pride at being part of her team.

"I think this is the first time you've scrubbed in with her, huh?" I remark, finally looking up from my work.

Nick nods eagerly, his grin widening. "Yeah, it was incredible." His grin dies, when he says, "I'm debating whether to pick cardiothoracic or neuro now," his tone worried and unsure.

"You still have time. Choose whatever you think is best for you. There's no rush," I advise him, hoping to ease his nerves.

"Well, apparently not everyone feels the same," he mutters cryptically, avoiding my gaze.

Something is definitely wrong, "What do you mean?"

Nick quickly regains his composure and says, "uh it's nothing."

Before I can press him further, he changes the subject. "You ready for tomorrow?" he asks, his excitement returning full force.

I furrow my brow in confusion. "What's tomorrow?" I inquire, racking my brain for any upcoming events.

Nick's eyes widen in mock disbelief. "Holi! Don't tell me you forgot. Mom would be disappointed to hear that," he says in a sing-song way.

I can feel a pang of guilt gnawing at me as I realize I'd completely forgotten about the festival of colors. "Slipped my mind. Don't even think about snitching," I warn him, shooting him a warning glare.

Nick chuckles, unfazed by my threat. "No promises," he quips, his mischievous grin widening.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes at his antics, focusing instead on the task at hand.

"You have a guest list?" he asks. Nick's the go-to guy for all things party-related. He's basically the mastermind behind every bash, from the guest list to the playlist. He parties like his life depends on it.

I shake my head, knowing exactly where he is going with this. "No," I reply simply, refusing to take the bait.

Nick raises an eyebrow in surprise. "Really? Are you both really my brothers?" he jests, feigning disappointment."He doesn't have a guest list either. I do everything for this family. My shoulders are heavy with all the weight I carry."

"And what would that be?" I ask, playing along.

Nick's grin widens as he declares, "Socializing," his tone dripping with sarcasm.

I nod in agreement, knowing full well the extent of his social calendar, "You done?"

Nick nods, his expression turning thoughtful. "Yup. Now if you'll excuse me, I have people to invite. Ladies are gonna have a field day," he declares, wiggling his eyebrows.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, "Don't invite your problematic hookups like last time."

I can still vividly recall the chaos that ensued at last year's Holi party, he invited some girls, two of them were his one night stands. They both expected more, even after he made it clear he's not the one for commitments. They ended up breaking each other's jaws, thinking the other one was the problem. Nick didn't even try to break the fight. All he said was 'No pussy is worth a broken nose.'

I have no interest in witnessing that insanity again.

"Hey, it's not my fault they made up their own little romance movie in their heads," Nick protests, his tone defensive.

I shake my head, knowing it's futile to argue with him.

"This time, everything will be fine. I'm inviting my hospital friends and the usual crowd. No hookups. I promise," he declares confidently.

I nod in agreement, relieved that he seems to have learned his lesson from last time.

"That's interesting," I remark, my mind already elsewhere.

Nick furrows his brow in confusion. "What is?" he asks, clearly puzzled by my response.

I shrug casually, masking my true intentions. "No new friends to encourage your stupidities this time?" I reply cryptically without lifting my head, hoping to plant a seed in his mind.

The idea swirls in my mind like a tempting puzzle, each piece fitting perfectly into place.

This idiot has made it his life's mission to ruin my moments with Evara, constantly barging in at the most inconvenient times. It's only fair that he makes up for it by inviting her to the party. Either that or I kick his ass. Mom won't be happy with the latter.

I could have extended the invitation myself, but I know Evara would never show up if I asked her directly. She would avoid me at every chance she gets, she thinks she can run away from me. Cute.

But this won't do. I know how to leave her with no other option but to show up. And putting Nick up to this? Well, that would definitely work out in my favor.

He's got a knack for pulling emotional strings, and for some reason, he seems to have this odd friendship with Evara.

It's a rarity for him, considering he doesn't do female friendships and most of the girls around him either want to fuck him or can't stand him. To be honest, that's true for all three of us.

The list of Nick's haters is pretty short, from what I've seen.

I'm not keen on asking him straight. Nick plays dumb, but he's not clueless. He's got a sense that something's brewing, even if he doesn't know the specifics. I'd rather not give him any more material to work with, so I'll just keep things vague and hope he doesn't pry too much.

Still, I know Nick won't let this go easily. If he catches wind of anything between Evara and me, he'll make sure the whole world knows about it, he's not one to keep secrets. He'd turn it into the hottest gossip in town, plastering it on every newspaper headline and probably even sticking it up on the hospital notice board. Wouldn't be surprised if it made its way onto national television.

I don't want Nick to meddle. If he starts poking around, who knows how Evara would react? She might just shut the whole thing down— whatever this is, before it even has a chance to begin. So, my plan is simple: keep Nick out of my business. I'm not about to let my nosy brother mess things up before they even have a chance to get started.

I can already envision how Nick will work his magic, effortlessly persuading Evara to come to the party.

I'll keep my cards close to my chest, letting Nick think he's in control while subtly nudging him in the right direction. After all, there's nothing wrong with a little strategic maneuvering to get what you want.

"I haven't met any new frien-", Nick's eyes widen in realization, "Oh shit! Evie.. I should invite her," he exclaims, his excitement palpable.

I can't help but smirk inwardly as Nick goes in the right direction. I lift my head and meet Nick's gaze when I ask, "Why?"

Nick responds with a casual shrug, "Why not? She's fun." Then he continues, "Are you still mad at her? You know what Alec, I thought you had the hots for her, but I'm pretty sure she hates your guts. There's some hot and cold stuff there", Nick arches his eyebrow.

I respond with a dismissive wave, "Shut up, Nick. Do whatever the fuck you want." My tone is nonchalant, "Now. Out."

******

Today's weather is absolutely perfect, not too hot or chilly, the sky is clear with the sun shining bright and a cool breeze hitting my face as I drive through the giant gates of my parents' mansion. The front yard is a riot of color, filled with vibrant flowers that seem to stretch on forever. Tall trees surrounds me, punctuated by winding pathways that lead to hidden alcoves and secret gardens.

In the heart of the garden, there's this beautiful white gazebo that immediately catches your eye. It's like a picture-perfect scene out of a magazine, with its pristine white paint and elegant design. Inside the gazebo, there's a cozy coffee table set with a few chairs.

I can see the delicate vines that climb up the sides and the blooming flowers, adding a touch of natural beauty to the structure.

Right in front of the grand entrance, there's this stunning fountain, its waters shimmering in the sunlight. The sound of cascading water fills the air, adding a soothing melody to the symphony of nature that surrounds me.

The fountain is a work of art, its intricately carved stone figures depicting mythical creatures and nymphs dancing amidst a spray of crystal-clear water. Jets of water shoot upwards, catching the sunlight and creating a mesmerizing display of rainbows that dance across the surface.

Surrounded by lush greenery and colorful blooms, the fountain is a focal point of the garden, drawing the eye and inviting contemplation.

Parking my Ferrari in the enormous garage, I make my way to the front door, which is engraved with beautiful patterns that catch the sunlight just right at the top.

It stands tall and imposing, framed by intricate carvings and adorned with a polished brass knocker. The heavy oak door swings open effortlessly, revealing a spacious foyer bathed in natural light. The spring weather has worked its magic, casting a golden glow over everything it touches.

Stepping inside, I'm greeted by the inviting aroma of home-cooked meals drifting from the expansive kitchen. The kitchen itself is a chef's dream, with gleaming stainless steel appliances, clear glass windows and granite countertops that stretch for miles.

The smell of Mom's cooking fills the air, a comforting mix of spices and herbs that make my mouth water.

She moves with practiced ease, chopping vegetables and stirring pots with a grace that comes from years of experience. The countertops are cluttered with bowls and utensils, evidence of the culinary masterpiece she's creating.

As I watch her work, I can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia wash over me.

Mom's voice cuts through as soon as she notices me, "Go change out of your scrubs!" she calls from the kitchen, already busy with party preparations. "Your outfit is already in your room. I knew you would show up like this."

I nod in acknowledgment.

I didn't have time to go home and change out of my scrubs before coming here, so I'm grateful for Mom laying out an outfit for me. She is the best.

"Where's Jack?" I inquire.

"He's talking to your dad in his study," Mom replies, her tone tinged with amusement.

They're probably working on a new business setup or debating to make someone's life hell. How refreshing.

"Where's the walking trouble?" I ask with a grin, referring to our youngest brother.

Mom laughs as she arranges flowers in a vase. "He's upstairs in his room. Now go, I have things to take care of."

She navigates towards the glass door that leads to the backyard, where the party is happening amidst the greenery and sparkling swimming pool. I catch a glimpse of the festive decorations adorning the area. Colorful banners flutter in the gentle breeze and large bowls filled with an array of bright, powdered colors. Tables are set up with vibrant tablecloths.

Mom disappears through the door, her excitement visible in her face.

With a smile, I head upstairs, my childhood home feeling familiar and comforting.

Taking the stairs to my old room feels like second nature, even though none of us siblings live here anymore. Jack, Nick, and I have all moved out, but our rooms remain frozen in time, preserved like relics of our childhood.

As I swing open the door to my bedroom, a rush of familiarity washes over me. It's like stepping back in time, with everything exactly as I left it. Tall windows, the curtains pushed aside to welcome the streams of golden sunlight, casting warm hues across the room and illuminating every corner.

My gaze sweeps over the familiar sight—the cozy couch nestled in one corner, the bed with fresh sheets inviting me to sink into its comfort. The desk and the dresser stand elegantly, each piece of furniture adding to the room's serene ambiance.

Despite the years that have passed, everything remains unchanged, frozen in a moment of nostalgia.

Just as I'm about to strip off my scrubs and head for the shower, my phone starts ringing. Glancing at the screen, I see it's Dr. Arora calling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 17.7K 69
Sequeal of 'Home To You' can be read stand alone. ©️All Right Sereved by me @deliciouspeach__ (writer_maira)©️ 25 years have passed and everything i...
201K 19.2K 57
Book #1 of the Stars Series. ~She taught him to speak out loud He taught her to hear the silence~ ✨ "Do you remember, What the hell did you do Miss...
48.1K 191 1
|COMPLETED| |REPUBLISHING| "Why are you rejecting the proposal?" "First of all , i have no interest in marriage and secondly she doesn't meet my sta...
4.6K 242 15
Book 1 of series Destiny's mystery....... 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 DEVANSH SINGH RATHORE..... ___________________________________________ _________________________...