Moth To A Flame | Haobin AU

By EriArisa

Zhang Hao a genius violinist from China who received scholarship at university in Korea. His life used to be... More

EP 0 - Handsome
EP 1 - The Main Performer
EP 2 - The Genius
EP 3 - The Chaebol
EP 4 - The Date Invitation
EP 5 - The F4
EP 6 - Good Intentions
EP 7 - Cruel Intentions

EP 8 - The Doctor

93 6 1
By EriArisa

Ricky:

Two train stations away from our campus.

A french pâtisserie at the end of shopping alley near the station, the cafe painted in pistachio color.

Zhang Hao re-read message from Ricky while looking around at unfamiliar area. The violinist is on his quest to find a french cake shop his friend mentioned. A cafe where he will apply for part-time job. Recently he has been looking for a part-time job vacancy. Due to his limited allowance, its always a struggle for Zhang Hao to survived monthly, therefore he need a part-time job to support his needs.

Other than that Zhang Hao need a time off from his dorm. After his fight with Matthew, the dorm atmosphere feels a bit awkward. Therefore the violinist will be using his part-time job as excuse to escape from their dorm.

Thankfully Ricky has just resign from his part-time job and the younger Chinese boy offer his position to Zhang Hao. The violinist gladly accept it since the working hours match his college schedule.

More over the place is a cake shop. Zhang Hao is a sweet tooth. He loves cakes and dessert. So it's the perfect place him to work.

After a few minutes walk from the station he finally find the cake shop. It nested at the end of the road, rustic yet romantic cafe decorated with purple wild morning glory flowers on its walls. The cafe name is exact representation of its wall color, La Pistache (the Pistachio).

Zhang Hao take a deep breath and bravely step in the cafe. The door's bell jingles, notifying a man behind the cashier counter. The man look up watching the violinist entering the cafe. He's in his late 40's, tall, wearing round eye glasses, with soft and gentle face. The man automatically smile looking at Zhang Hao approaching him. He might be the cafe owner.

"What can I help you?" He ask gently.

"I'm here to apply part time job. My friend who previously worked here recommend an opening to me" Zhang Hao answer him.

"Oh is it Ricky?" He ask and Zhang Hao nod. "Are you Zhang Hao? Ricky dorm mates?" he ask again, this time his eyes lit up in excitement.

"Yes it's me" Zhang Hao nod again.

"I've been expecting you. My name is Han Yoseob, I'm the owner of this cafe. Ricky has told me about you, he said you're an dessert lovers so you're a perfect fit for this job. Did you have experience working? Or do you have baking skills?"

This time the Chinese boy shakes his head, "This will be my first job. I can cook simple meal, but never bake. But I'm a fast learner and motivated. I'll do my best if you give me the opportunity" he try to persuade the owner, Zhang Hao need this job.

Mr. Yoseob smile hearing the Chinese boy positive attitude, "All I need is your spirit. I can teach you along the way. So yes, you're hired Zhang Hao"

The violinist face beaming happy, he show his big smile. Bowing while chanting "Thank You" multiple times.

"More importantly your handsome face will attract female customers, I guarantee it. Ricky himself has a loyal fan base during his time here" said Mr. Yoseob laughing.

Zhang Hao blush a bit hearing the compliment. Mr. Yoseob then ask him if he's available to start his job today, since the cafe was shortage in staff. The Chinese boy agree right away. After that Mr. Yoseob begin his brief about the cafe to him.

"Since the cafe is currently empty, I'll begin the briefing. The cafe opens at 8 am, closes at 9 pm. We close every Monday, but remains open during big holiday date like Christmas. We divide the work into 2 areas, the kitchen area and the serving area. My wife as the pâtissière lead the kitchen area, me as the owner lead service area. We have one employee who are also part-timer, he's working in the kitchen to help my wife. My son also often help us, usually he help me at the service area. Both of them are high school students so their working hours are limited. Therefore I need you to back us up"

Mr. Yoseob elaborate the cafe working system while walking towards the kitchen, he give a short tour around the cafe and Zhang Hao diligently follow him. They start from the kitchen. Entering the kitchen the older man then introduce his wife who is working on cake dough. Her name is Han Yuri, she's a very beautiful woman. She own a elegant and pretty face with a gentle smile. Even though she is cover by white flour but it doesn't hide her beauty. Zhang Hao begin to wonder what Mr and Mrs Han son look like, since his parents both handsome and beautiful.

After a brief introduction with Mrs. Yuri, Mr. Yoseob continue the tour around the cafe. He show the Chinese boy he pantry, the staff locker and changing room, the display shelfs, and the customer seating area.

When passing the staff locker Mr. Yoseob hand him a beige apron as his uniform. All employee are required to wear plain white shirt, long trousers and an apron. Accidentally the violinist has already wear white cardigan and cream t-shirt, so he's well-suited with the dress code.

They end their tour back to the cashier area, where Mr. Yoseob tell Zhang Hao for first few weeks he will be working at the cashier. Handling customers order and payment. That way he could learn all of the cafe's menu and get to know the customer. Zhang Hao diligently took out a small notes and write down every important detail.

Mr. Yoseob begin to elaborate how to operate the machine and then continue telling the violinist the full menu list. He gives an extra attention about the special menu for their loyal customer.

"As you can see our cafe isn't the type of cafe who always jam packed with customer, the peak hours usually start towards evening when students or office workers heading back home. But we have quite a lot loyal customers who usually comes at their own unique time. Each of them have their own favourite dessert, we give special attention to it. Making sure they receive the best treatment. It's your job to know them and their menu"

The older man said that his cafe value their loyal customers like a family. He always make sure they get a personal service. Zhang Hao nod entusiastically, he starting to like his new boss, his cafe radiates happiness and kindness, a cake shop who's aims to make their customer happy. The violinist like it so much.

"Now for the important part, I'll tell you our most loyal customer. You should take note for this. Some of them have quite unusual request" Mr. Yoseob gentle face turns into a serious one.

Looking at his boss Zhang Hao hold his pen with determination.

Mr. Yoseob have a code name for each of their loyal customer, match with their favourite menus. Such as the Old Lady who like Opera, the Butcher who like Beignets, the High School Girl who like Honeycomb Toffee and so on.

"Almost always they order the same menu. But one is different from the rest. This person never order the same menu, always trying new menus every time he comes. Even though he doesn't have specific favourite menu but he's meticulous every time he order. He want to know every detail about the dessert he's going to buy" say Mr. Yoseob.

"What's his name?" ask Zhang Hao curiously.

"We call him the Doctor or the Desserts Monster"

The violinist gulp hearing the code name, why his name sound so threatening. Mr. Yoseob notice Zhang Hao nervous expression, the older man laugh at his new employee timid reaction.

"Don't be afraid of him. His name sounds scary but he's quite nice. His appearance may look cold and unfriendly, but he's a good guy. Every time he comes he always buy lots of our new products, he buys up to 5 or 7 cakes. He may sound rigorous when asking question but all you need to do is explain to him what the name of the dessert and the ingredients, other than that you're good to go. He also rarely come to the cafe"

"What does he look like?"

"I never saw his face since he always wearing mask. I guess he's still young, around your age. He's tall, maybe taller than you. He has sharp eyes and thick brows. He always wear hoodie with white jacket underneath it, that's why we called him the Doctor" said Mr. Yoseob.

Zhang Hao nod, mentally taking a note in his mind to remember those description. Preparing himself for future encounter.

After finishing loyal customers list introduction, Zhang Hao start his first job by managing cashier, handling payments, Mr. Yoseob accompanying him by his side. During the first hour the Chinese boy successfully handling three customers without a hiccup. Mr. Yoseob praise him as a fast learner, this boost the violinist confidence.

Nearing 5.30 pm, the cafe come to its quietest time. The peak hours will start at 6 pm and before it Mr. Yoseob want to restock the cakes at the display. He ask Zhang Hao to take care of the counter and serving area, where he's going into the kitchen helping his wife finishing the cake for the next 30 minutes.

The Chinese boy gladly accept the challenge, he believe he could handle the counter without any help now.

Thankfully the cafe remained empty for a while, Zhang Hao took this opportunity to learn more about the menu, trying to remember each dessert name, its flavor and its ingredients. He re-read his notes multiple time because most of the desserts name are in french, remembering it will be a challenge.

Speaking of french menu, it brings Zhang Hao memory back to Hanbin. To their lunch at french restaurant, having tarte au citron as their dessert. It was his first french dessert at his first date. Thinking about it makes Zhang Hao scream in his head.

You're crazy Zhang Hao!

That was not a date, only a casual lunch. Don't get delusional!

But in the back of his head Hanbin words rings back again, saying the opposite from what he try to believe.

"This is me inviting you on a date.... Don't you dare to flirt him, he's my date....."

Zhang Hao squeal remembering those lines. He remember clearly Hanbin sweet voice. Those voice who have the spell to turn his face into bright red and march up his heart beat. He clench his notes covering his blushing face.

When the Chinese boy busy with his thought about the handsome chaebol, he failed to notice the cafe door open. He failed to see a customer just walk in the cafe.

A young man, taller than him, wearing mask, dark green hoodie and white jacket underneath it.

He walk directly to the cake display, browsing closely each dessert. Trying to find new menu on it. After a few moment he proceed to the cashier counter where Zhang Hao is still busy with his feelings.

He stand in front of the Chinese boy, who still hiding his face behind notebook. He now notice the boy behind the cashier is not the one who usually work there. A new employee who apparently busy with his own mind. He wait for a full minute yet Zhang Hao still hasn't realized his presence. He then lightly knock on the cashier counter, trying to grab the violinist attention.

"Hi, can I order?" ask the young man.

Zhang Hao startled, suddenly finding a customer coming. He must be out of his mind, how come he failed to notice a customer coming. The Chinese boy swear he should stop thinking about Hanbin. He quickly put down his notes and now he looking directly eyes to eyes to the young man in front of him.

Young, tall, sharp eyes, wearing mask, hoodie and white jacket underneath.

Oh my God!

It's the Doctor!

"Yes! Hi, how can I help you? What would you like to order?" Zhang Hao try his best to collect himself, while he cannot hide his nervousness knowing he has to serve the infamous customer.

The Doctor stare at Zhang Hao closely. He study the new employee, start from his fluffy brown hair, his same clear brown eyes, his flushed cheeks, his full lips, his white milky skin, his slender boy, his long fingers.

The Chinese boy notice he was being examine by those sharp eyes. This makes him even more nervous. He need to give good impression to the Doctor, since he's one valuable customer for Mr. Yoseob. He already give a bad first impression by not noticing him coming in, therefore he should redeem it by giving him the best service.

The Doctor hasn't say a word, Zhang Hao gulp and repeat his question.

"How can I help you? What would you like to order?"

His sharp eyes now looking back at Zhang Hao eyes. His eyes are intimidating, it send shivers to the Chinese boy bones.

"Whats your name?" the Doctor ask.

The super nervous Zhang Hao failed to get the full sentence. Misunderstood, he thought the Doctor was asking about the new menu. Nervously Zhang Hao begin to spell out the list of new menu, with broken french.

"We.. we have new menus this week. Spring Millefu... I mean Spring Millefeuille, which is puff pastry with sugar icing and strawberry on top. We also have Orange-Anise Croqem,.. Croquembouche with white chocolate. It's choux pastry filled with orange and anise cream. Or you could choose Chocolate Bu.. Bus.. Buche de Noel, our new chocolate roll cake"

Zhang Hao can feel his face burn into brighter red, knowing how bad he speak those french words. Suddenly the Chinese boy hear a suppressed chuckle, the Doctor is laughing at him.

"I'm sorry, I'm new here. I just start my work today" Zhang Hao mumbles, embarrassed.

The Doctor try to stop his laugh by coughing. To Zhang Hao surprise, the Doctor take off his mask and pull down his hoodie. Now the violinist able to see his full face.

He is young, maybe one or two year younger than the Chinese boy. He have straight black hair, a little bit bed hair pointing out at the top of his head. He have sharp feature, from sharp brows, sharp eyes, sharp face with high cheek bones. He have a tall body, taller than the violinist.

His feature look cold at first, but right now he is smiling at Zhang Hao. He have a wide and gentle smile. His smile soften his aura.

"Thank you for trying to explain the new menu. But, I didn't ask you about it, I'm asking you something else" the Doctor chuckle again.

"Oh" Zhang Hao confused.

"I'm asking your name" he said.

"Oh?" Zhang Hao getting more confused.

The Doctor laugh a bit looking at how adorable Zhang Hao puzzled face.

"Maybe I should start by introducing myself. I'm Jeonghyeon. Lee Jeonghyeon"

***

Author's note:

Every drama should have their second male lead. So there he is, my version of second male lead, Lee Jeonghyeon ^^

Btw, I'm not french, I have no clue about french dessert. I simply google it. Please don't attack me. LOL

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

155K 7.1K 23
Zhanghao had always only felt jealously of Hanbin, but that all changes after the boys decide to play a game of truth of dare Zhang hao x Sung Hanbin
67.3K 2.7K 61
Can a promise that one forms young be kept? Hanbin thought it could; "I will never betray the one that I love... I will not be like my father" And so...
19.9K 745 19
Matthew moves in the same dorm as Jiwoong a cold guy who doesn't talk or smile much and Matthew being the very opposite of him what happens when thes...
62.9K 4.7K 37
In which after being childhood friends for a few years, Sung Hanbin and Zhang Hao have now become the biggest enemies. After Hanbin moved away, they...