The Child of Ash

By fantasy4freaks

"Blood is on my hands yet everything has a price. It is the price of magic." In a world shackled by an empire... More

PART 1: PROLOGUE
Part 1: CHAPTER ONE
PART ONE: CHAPTER 2
PART ONE: CHAPTER FOUR
PART ONE: CHAPTER 5

Part One Chapter 3

2 0 0
By fantasy4freaks

Lord Curtis Kannervi found it difficult not to sob when he read the list of names. All of them had been killed. The camp had been massacred by an unknown magical user. The Emperor was equally as emotional when he heard the news about it.

"The whole camp was just completely destroyed. I sent some scouts there and they told me that nobody was left alive. He said all of them were covered in blood. The building was set alight though so there is nothing but ash left. Who do you think it was, Your Majesty?"

"I would place my money on Estella Arkov, yet this is dark even for her. Her Jade Snake rebellion people would not massacre people they could recruit. And did you say that the Commander was included in this list of names?"

"Yes sir. You must consider replacing him then for if things like this are going on we need a strong military. War could brew, Your Majesty if word of this event breaks out. Sergeant Victorino was found murdered too. We need to find out who is behind this attack immediately!" Lord Kannervi had been infuriated by the murders. It had been so unexpected.

"There is no evidence other than the fact it was on fire. Whoever did this could conjure flames, meaning it could only be a magic user. I have two people working against me: Estella and this mysterious magician. If Victorino was found dead then it means someone is trying to get rid of my leaders. They want to replace them. It seems Estella has inspired them all. They fight against my empire now. "The Emperor sank his head into his hands.

"Riots could break out. I will go to Khavat. There is no choice. The armies must be ready. Two government officials being murdered tells us that we need to enforce punishment on Aevuhan. While I head to Khavat, I will find you a sufficient royal advisor. Thank you for having me, Your Majesty and may the Empire live on during these tumultuous times." Both of them bowed to each other and then the meeting was over.

***

Khavat was a horrible place. Most people residing there lived in small slums that made the air reek. Everyone in the streets would try to sell you something or steal something. For a self righteous royal, it was like being in the camps. He wore a brown hood over his head in the hopes none of the locals would recognise him. If they did, he would walk out of the city with no money left. Already, even as he walked through the city gates, he saw someone getting mugged. I must not do anything for I have sworn a promise to the Emperor. Many promises came with being one of the Emperor's men. Oaths had been sworn, lives had been endangered. Would he do it again? Of course he would.

Lord Kannervi stepped into where the leader of Khavat spent his days. The nervous look on his face made him appear as if he was severely ill to Curtis Kannervi. Then, the real leader of the province stepped into the room. King Krazenchi was the one bowing to Desmond Denton. Desmond was a very dangerous man. He led the Chaosguard, arguably the most dangerous mafia there was. The Chaosguard was the reason Khavat was so deprived of resources. Desmond and the Chaosguard stripped everything from the locals. Markets were set ablaze if they did not pay him when he wanted money. And now, Curtis Kannervi was in a room with snakes. He dropped something into Denton's glass as he walked past. After all, he needed some venom for himself.

"Mr Denton, the Empire requests that the armies in each province need to be formed. He sent me here, to Khavat, to build an army. War is brewing, Mr Denton. People like you look for opportunities to get money whenever they can. This war will have some losses. You can set up an organisation that charges people if they want to be cured. Do whatever the fuck you want as long as it is legal and does not involve me."

"You do not get to speak to me like that. I run this city. Without it, the slums would be even worse and the streets would be so rife with thieves nobody would feel safe enough to walk in them. I understand that you may not agree with my profession, and that's fine, but don't you dare say I am a bad person. All this blood on my hands is for them. I do this for them. So you cannot have your armies for I do not want them dying for nothing. Get out of here before I get my men to cut you to pieces and give you to the butchers." Desmond Denton was even more ruthless than they had described.

"You know what? I can get everything you're doing shut down! You are bribing the king of this province. He should not feel afraid of you. Nobody should. Get your men to cut me up, I really do not care. I know you get them to do your dirty work. Why get someone else to kill a pig for you? In the end, no matter who kills it, the pig's death is still your fault." Curtis Kannervi was a master at negotiating. He always had been good at that, growing up in a city full of markets.

"Nobody gets me shut down. I have connections that stretch further than your tiny mind could possibly comprehend. I am the leader of the Chaosguard. All of you royals think the same. All of you think that because you are noble you get to live a lovely life. The reason I made this business is to prove you bastards wrong. I built this city with every coin I worked for!" Desmond slammed his fist on the table. His men approached Curtis. He would have to choose his next few words very carefully.

"So be it, Desmond. Prepare to get destroyed. The Empire will be paying you a visit in a few weeks. I suggest you plan your escape before that. Things do not look good for you buddy. All of this can be avoided-"

"Are you threatening me?" Desmond looked like he could kill the man if he wanted to. Lord Kannervi hoped that he would not attempt such a thing.

"Not exactly! It is more like a negotiation. I would never threaten you, Desmond. That would be like walking into the den of a dragon with no armour. I can give you what you want. Just let me raise the armies and then you can do what you want with the city."

"Thank you for giving me options on what to do even though this is my city. You are bold, Curtis Kannervi. If my men do not kill you for it now, your mouth will get you killed sooner or later. You are a dangerous piece in this game we play. Most of them are pawns; you are much more aware than them. You are a knight. The singers will call you Curtis the Courteous. I want no bloodshed on my streets however, and I know that you cannot keep any promises. Get out of my city or I will make you wish you never came here." Desmond Denton was a man of his word. He did everything he said he would without hesitation of any sort. The Chaosguard now had a knife at Lord Kannervi's throat. Business often got him into situations like this. I can get myself out of this. I am sure I will somehow. I always do.

"How rich! Even if they do kill me, you will die within twenty four hours of this meeting. Your drink was laced with poison taken from the teeth of the last dragon that roamed Aevuhan. It is highly dangerous and even one drop of it is lethal. Of course, there is a cure. I will give you the cure if you permit me to raise the armies."

"You sly vixen!" Desmond was not pleased.

"Manipulation can work both ways, Mr Denton. I hope you realise that once we inevitably meet again. I shall raise the armies and deliver you the cure once the task has been fulfilled. Thank you for your time. That will be all." Lord Kannervi had miraculously survived the snakes. He had survived using his own venom against them.

Curtis Kannervi stood in the clock tower. The man rang the bell numerous times to make the city pay attention to him. They all believed it was war. Children rushed out of their houses clinging to their blankets. The homeless people found somewhere warm to stand. Suspense filled the air in Khavat. He heard murmurs of every sort: some suggested it was the work of Desmond Denton himself.

"People of Khavat! The Emperor sent me here tonight to build an army because he suspects war is coming. Many government officials have been killed recently. Nations will blame each other, they always do. We need to be ready in the event that war does indeed break out. I need men that will serve their country until the day they die. Do not join this army with false promises for words can mean nothing or everything in the situation. Anyone who wishes to serve their country will serve an oath and will repeat after me," There were some nods of agreement in the crowd, "I swear to serve my country. I pledge my allegiance to the Emperor, the Dios and to the Empire. I swear to never break my oath or to betray my fellow soldiers. If you break this oath, you are to be held accountable. Most likely you will be killed though it depends. We may be lenient but I would not bank on it. Finally, repeat after me. I swear to serve my kingdom no matter what happens to it. Anyone who has sworn the oath and wants to join the army must follow me"

Many people in the crowd took the oath. They followed him to the barracks. None of them looked like soldiers yet. War will harden them, it always does. Lord Kannervi could not help but feel proud of what he had achieved. When the recruits were asleep in the barracks, he took a walk down the street. He admired each shop and pub he passed. Some were buildings he did not recognise. Curiosity got the better of Curtis Kannervi.

Curtis walked into the brothel. He saw a pair of breasts as soon as he walked through the door. The place was filled with vile rich old men who paid for the underage girls to pleasure them. I do need a reward for what I have done. In the big picture the Emperor will not care once I have shown him my army.

"I would like to hire one of them. I would like to hire a prostitute. Here are some coins to pay for it, should 150 Kyrt be enough?"

"You clearly have never been in a brothel, have you, noble? Do not fear, I will give you one that makes a good first impression. Valentin, somebody wants you!" The head of the brothel introduced Curtis to the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She had long ginger hair the colour of the leaves in autumn and Lord Kannervi often found himself staring into her emerald-green eyes. If I give them enough money perhaps she can become mine.

"Come with me." Valentin said as bluntly as she could. It seemed the prospect of sex did not excite her as much as it did the men that came to the brothels. Her voice was so monotonous in contrast with her beautiful looks. Curtis Kannervi was about to break his oath, yes, but at least it would be broken for a good cause. Val got straight to the point when they were in the bedroom. She took off her top to reveal a pair of medium sized breasts that were swollen.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" The prostitute had noticed his small movements that suggested he was afraid. She had seen his subtle twitches and the way that he had looked at her. "Is this your first time?"

Curtis had not expected that specific question. He did not know the answer to it at all. There was a chance he may have done it when he was sixteen, however, it had only felt like a fever dream. He decided to lie for he did not want her perception of him to change. Lord Kannervi undid his breeches to reveal his cock. It had gone hard just at the sight of the girl. Both of them awkwardly stepped into the bed. There was deathly silence, before Val made the first move. She got closer toward Curtis and started kissing him. They touched their bodies against each other. She moaned as he put it in there. He felt her get wet.

"I am so glad that all of the people to fuck me, it is a noble. Show me your sword, brave knight." It happened in a heartbeat. Ten minutes later, Curtis Kannervi pulsed with joy. He liked it so much he did it a second time. The man thrust it into her. All of the years of celibacy just for ten minutes...

"Can I ask you something? I know I paid you but I want your honest answer. Why did you choose this profession? It must be a horrible thing for you to do with people. To have your body used like that puts a chill down my spine. I know I cannot talk to myself; I am not like them. I paid you because I wanted to celebrate my achievements."

Val put her top back on to cover her breasts and then responded to what Curtis had asked her.

"I chose this profession because I need money. Nobody will let me do any traditional jobs. They discriminate against me all of the time. I am now facing the consequences of my mother's actions. She was a wonderful woman but-" Val put a hand over her mouth for she knew she had said too much.

"Your mother? Nobody that is famous is a mother unless you are talking about Miriaz Morosa. Is Miriaz Morosa your mother?"

"No." It was too late for Valentin to lie her way out of it.

"Answer me truthfully! Is your mother Miriaz Morosa? I must know! If it is, then both of us will be killed! You knew I was noble, why would you do such a thing?I have committed adultery with a witch!

"Me? You paid to have sex with me. If you knew breaking your oath would get you killed, then why in the name of the Dios would you come to a brothel of all places?" Val looked fuming.

"You will curse me and turn me into an animal. I must leave this place. If I had known who you were, I would have never even looked at you." Curtis Kannervi put his breeches back on and rushed out of the brothel seeing many naked women as he walked through the building to get to the door. He had broken his oath and it had been with the daughter of a witch. If the Emperor found out about this, Curtis would be executed. The girl could report him though. There was only one way- to take the girl with him. I could dump her in a river perhaps. Nobody would know. There was one person and one person alone who could help him with his troubles. It would be the person he had come to Khavat to find: Arith Longyhael. Lord Kannervi had broken his oath, and it would take a serious amount of effort to earn his honour back. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156 0 38
They say in the end we always pay for our sins, that when we reach those pearly gates and judgement falls that we will repent for our ways and justic...
12.3K 630 9
Magic is a powerful yet fleeting thing. Those blessed with its presence are given a choice: to do good for their fellow man or to be corrupted. Tobia...
49 0 8
In the story of Densetsu the world once ravaged by a fierce war between gods and demons finds itself in an era of fragile peace. For thousands of yea...
1.2K 35 7
Despite being a strong fire mage, not knowing who I truly am makes me feel powerless. No memories of my past before six years of age. No memories of...