Destructive Enchantment

By twistedinreality

[𝐲𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐞!𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐨𝐫 𝐱 𝐟!𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫] The plan was simple. Don't make a fool of yourself, and do... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Past Tribulations I
Chapter 2: Past Tribulations II
Chapter 3: Past Tribulations III
Chapter 4: Past Tribulations IIII
Chapter 5: Arrival
Chapter 6: Not a Goblin
Chapter 7: Heart Attack At First Sight
Chapter 8: Dance With The Devil
Chapter 9: Maniac on the Dance Floor
Chapter 10: Late Night Visitor
Chapter 11: A Kiss From My Miss
Chapter 12: Departure
Chapter 13: Getting Acquainted
Chapter 14: Odd One Out
Chapter 15: Jealousy
Chapter 17: My Lovely Flower
Chapter 18: Serendipity of A Mad Man
Chapter 19: Sleeping Beauty
Chapter 20: Conflicting Emotions

Chapter 16: A Warning

3.7K 204 34
By twistedinreality

'So much for enjoying my time,' I grumble to myself, eyeing the man to my side, his insistence on bringing me upfront to lead with him hard to deny in front of a crowd.

His reasoning? 'You said you are talented, it is natural for you to be at the front.'

First of all, I did not say I was talented, I said it was a frequent hobby of mine. Second of all, there was no talent necessary, we were moving at a snail's pace. Our horses were barely trotting along.

I attempt to ignore him, thankful of Lady Mary-Ann's attempts at speaking to him from his other side, as it allowed me leeway of not having to speak.

I glance around, the large pine trees covered with snow from the previous day. The sun begins to peek through the clouds, making the white frost coating the environment glisten and shine.

As much as I dislike the weather, it is a beautiful sight, I must admit. The tall pine trees were quite beautiful.

"Are you bored, Lady (y/n)?" Emperor Kruos's questions me, a hint of annoyance in his tone. "You seem disinterested." He observes.

"No, no. I am merely admiring the scenery." I tell the truth. While it was a little boring going so slow, it did feel nice getting out of the castle to explore. It was technically my first day out, if you don't count when I went outside for a breath of air at the ball.

Though that was quite recent, it feels like so long ago because all of the drama that has transpired between then and now. I cannot wait to go home and rest.

"Is there something on your mind? You are quiet, which is unusual," he comments.

I scrunch my nose at that, ignoring his attempt to rile me up. "I would like to talk to Lady Aria, but she is in the back of the group." I glance and hint at him.

"I think you are forgetting that you are supposed to be pursuing me, not other people," he gives me a pointed, narrowed look.

"Ah, right. My apologies, your majesty." I state in a stale tone. I drop it, not wishing to get into an argument or bring any more attention to myself.

I can feel Lady Mary-Ann glance past his majesty at me, though I refuse to look in that direction, for I can also feel his majesty staring at me. I spin my head to the other side, staring at the back of Sir Arthur's head. The royal knights surrounded our small group, one of the two posted in the front being Sir Arthur.

The air had thickened immensely, and I felt my shoulders stiffen at the change in the air. I had tried to be polite, while also keeping conversation short, though I am beginning to feel that it is doing more harm than good.

Lady Mary-Ann laughs awkwardly, attempting to dissipate the tension by continuing to talk, though his majesty seems to have no interest, merely shooting glances at me. I look around, pretending to be too busy admiring the scenery to talk.

I think back to the interaction at the stables. Why would his majesty react that way? Have I done something wrong? I did not see what the big deal in asking for assistance from a knight was. If anything, he should be thankful since it made us move along faster!

I can feel his majesty's annoyance begin to build up to anger beside me, though I do not speak upon it.

Turning my head back, I look behind me and see Lady Aria trailing a few feet behind. She gives me a worried look, and I stick my tongue out to show my displeasure at the situation we are in. She giggles at me.

"We'll stop here," his majesty halts the group. We stop at a small opening, a beautiful frozen lake glimmering in the sun, stretching for as far as I can see. The land around it is barren, snow covered grounds making it look like a scene out of a painting. Mountain ridges covered in snow surround the area, a sight truly admirable.

"Woah," I gasp.

His majesty turns to look at me. "Quite beautiful, isn't it?"

I nod in agreement. "I've never seen so much ice before. Is it safe to walk on?"

He nods. "It is frozen all the way through. Have you ever gone ice skating?"

I look at him, perplexed. "What is ice skating?"

He laughs a little at my confusion. "Perhaps I will have to teach you some day."

"Uhh...sure," I nod, though mentally note that will never ever happen.

"Your majesty, how marvelous is this view!" Lady Annabeth runs up to him excitedly.

"Lady (y/n)!" Crunches of boots in the snow snap my head around.

"Lady Aria! Look how beautiful this is!" I excitedly point at the frosted water.

She grins, looking forward. "It is quite the sight! This land is all owned by his majesty, so very few have been here before."

Lady Aria looked past my head, before whispering so only I could hear. "Why was his majesty so cross with you?"

I turn around, seeing him talking to a group of ladies, before turning back to Lady Aria.

"He said next time I should ask him for assistance on my horse, instead of a knight," I whisper back.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "That is odd...I asked a knight for assistance and he didn't say anything to me."

I furrow my eyebrows back at her.

'Why would he single me out?'

"I don't have a good feeling about this, Lady (y/n). You must be careful. I see the way he looks at you," she whispers, a concerned look on her face.

"Will you two be joining us?" His majesty's voice startles us, Lady Aria squeaking at the sudden attention. We turn to look at him, the other ladies behind him.

Emperor Kruos's eyes narrow at her reaction, my heart beating in my chest. 'What does she mean?'

"O-of course, your majesty," I instinctively grab Lady Aria's hand and walk over to him. He locks his eyes on our intertwined hands, his blank stare colder than the land we stand upon.

"Follow me," he gestures to the group. We walk alongside the outskirts of the frozen lake, before approaching a small area with a few tables and benches.

"We will take a small lunch break. Feel free to roam around, though do stay within the perimeters of our knights." A few guards unpack the bags that were attached to the horses, baskets filled with prepared meals.

Grabbing a small sandwich, I open the wrapper and take a bite, groaning at the deliciousness. This was my first meal of the day, technically, so I will be savoring every crumb.

A few ladies have sat down on the benches near his majesty, small chatter breaking out amongst themselves.

Taking this opportunity, Lady Aria and I look at each other with a knowing look, walking back to look at the lake, away from his majesty's earshot.

"What did you mean by 'the way he looks at you'?" I question her, taking another bite of my sandwich. The ice glistens as the sun reflects off of it, and I am thankful for the warmth, basking in the rare occasion.

She squirms a bit, looking back to ensure his majesty was not coming this way. "Well, the whole time I was behind you, he kept passing looks at you. But...they weren't normal looks. I cannot describe it, but it was as if it were a man looking at his most prized possession."

I brush her concern off. "I think it may be because his majesty and I started off on the wrong foot and now he finds me as a piece of entertainment."

"I am not sure, Lady (y/n). A mad man's intentions are unpredictable. Why else would he become cross with you for allowing a knight to help you, when he didn't spare me a single glance for doing the same?" She urges me, whispering.

I press my lips together at that. "You have a point. But, regardless, there is no way his majesty would choose me. I cannot become an empress. I am from a small kingdom on the outskirts of here, and I don't hold a high ranking. I will be let off the hook eventually, I just need to tread carefully and avoid confrontation," I hush back.

Lady Aria looks doubtful at that. "It does not matter who his majesty marries. He merely needs a wife. Sure, people will speak if he marries a low-ranking noble, but in the end, his decision is final. People will have to accept her no matter if they disapprove or approve, for his majesty is the emperor."

"It will be a bad look...surely there is no way he will pick me," I squirm, the doubt beginning to form in my head.

I am a nobody who showed up out of nowhere. His majesty just views me as a piece of amusement, which is why he was upset. I am like his personal joker, here to entertain, rather than be a true participant.

Right?

"I cannot say for certain whether or not you will be chosen, for it is much too early, but I advise you to tread carefully, Lady (y/n)," Lady Aria advises me.

"What should I do? I have been trying to avoid his majesty all day, but I feel that that has angered him," I wished for her advice.

Lady Aria scrunches her eyebrows. "I...I am not sure, Lady (y/n). If avoiding him upsets him, I would try and do the opposite so as to stay on his good side. Perhaps you can get closer to him and find out his intentions with you? It is clear that ignoring him will only anger him, and I am not sure that he will eliminate you if that is what you were attempting to accomplish with that."

I nod at her suggestion.

"I do not know what his intention is, but perhaps, if you grow closer to him, he will let his guard down. But, do be careful, Lady (y/n), for the emperor is used to getting his way no matter what." She pats my shoulder, comforting me.

I give a small smile at her. "I will try. Thank you, Lady Aria."

Footsteps can be heard approaching us, and I feel my heart drop.

'No, no. There is no way that was his majesty. Surely he didn't hear us.'

"Lady (y/n)!" A feminine voice pulls me out of my anxious worrying.

Lady Aria and I both look at Lady Mary-Ann in relief. 'Thank goodness.'

"I just wanted to thank you for your attempts at trying to help his majesty recognize me. That was a very sincere thing to do," her gratefulness shocked me.

I quickly smile at her. "Of course, Lady Mary-Ann. I can tell you wish to become closer to his majesty."

She looks at me for a moment, hesitating before speaking. "Yes, I do wish to, as my father has urged me to become empress to help gain status. Do you not wish to?"

I look at Lady Aria, and she gives me a knowing look. "I am going with the flow. If I get chosen or eliminated, then so be it," I keep it vague.

"Ah, I see. Well, I would like to give thanks, once again," Lady Mary-Ann nods her head a bit, before heading back to the tables.

As she does, his majesty and I lock eyes. I remember what Lady Aria advised.

I wave a little at him. 'I guess I cannot avoid him forever.'

Emperor Kruos doesn't wave back, merely resting his chin in his hand, which is propped on the table by his elbow. He tilts his head a little at me, scrutinizing me, before his sight drifts to Lady Aria.

Lady Aria gives a strained smile, bowing a little bit at his majesty.

Perhaps I should finally talk to him.

———

After exploring some of the land, it was finally time to head back. It was actually much more pleasant than I expected, though I've always enjoyed being outdoors.

Holding the reins of my horse, I clear my throat, looking awkwardly at the Emperor Kruos, who is standing right in front of me.

"W-will you please help me, your majesty?" I ask through gritted teeth, a strained smile on my face. I can feel one of my eyes begin to twitch.

He looks at me, amusement written all over his face. "No."

"Huh!?" I exclaim. This man literally told me to ask him for help next time!

"B-but—!" I stammer, unable to get my words out properly from pure frustration.

"Just kidding," he states, giving an innocent grin.

My jaw drops. He is messing with me on purpose! Before I have time to seethe out my frustration, his large hands snake underneath my open jacket, grabbing me by the waist, my chest brushing against his as he hoists me up.

I yelp, gripping his biceps harshly, feeling them flex slightly as he lifts me, before he rests my bottom on the horse.

"Thanks," I grumble out, throwing one leg over and situating myself properly on the saddle.

"See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?" He pats my knee closest to him, his hand lingering there.

I blush at the contact, before my lip snarls at his condescending question.

"Yeah, yeah, go to your horse," I grumble again before swatting his hand off my knee. He laughs, before walking away.

So much for being polite. It is nearly impossible! The other ladies have such insane willpower to not respond the way I have done so far.

Although, I feel as if his majesty has been treating me differently, especially given what Lady Aria had said to me earlier.

I think back to her words. 'Perhaps you can get closer to him and find out his intentions with you.'

Great, exactly what I did not want to do, though, her words made sense. Until now, I haven't been sure what exactly his majesty has wanted from me. At first, I believed it was to embarrass and scare me for what had happened at the ball, and then, I believed it to be because he found me amusing.

Though, there is no reason to go through such lengths such as having me participate.

Hopefully, I will find out soon enough.

———

"Ahh..." I sigh in content as I slink into the bath full of warm water.

The ride back had gone smoothly. His majesty seemed less annoyed on the way back versus on the way there as I made small talk with him and the surrounding ladies, though I am sure they had no real interest in actually getting to know me, rather wanting to speak to his majesty who was glued to my side.

A new plan had come to mind. Rather than avoid his majesty to get eliminated, I will get closer to him to figure out what his intentions are, and for him to see that I am clearly not fit to become empress.

Lady Aria is right. I cannot rely solely on the belief that avoiding him will eliminate me. He has selected me to be here for some reason, which means that he has an ulterior motive.

If I grow closer to him, he will realize that I am no empress and will eliminate me.

'Though, I feel as if I have already made a fool of myself one too many times for him to eliminate me,' I can't help but angrily recall the embarrassing interactions with his majesty.

I dunk my head under the water, wishing it would wash away the embarrassment.

———

A/N: 16k reads so far! Thank you to everyone who has clicked on my story! It means a lot to me. I also see all of your comments, thank you for all the support you've been showing me, I appreciate it!

This chapter sucked booty ngl but I have a rough draft of where I want to take this story, and I'm super excited! Hope yall will enjoy it as well hehe.

Love yall! ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.9K 1.9K 13
"My parents died when i was 5. And ever since then i lived with the Brown Family." Simon Brown x reader (Please don't comment if u see any mistakes E...
5K 113 65
Some information you might want to know
1.1M 27.6K 45
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
83.6K 1.7K 16
What if Seventeen has a female 14th member? A compilation of my favorite Seventeen episodes. As I recently just got to know them, will add other cont...