Monsters are made (Not Born)...

Av baby4fangirl

Summary: "There is no freedom in being a shinobi!" The boy spat, his cerulean gaze enraged as he glared ahead... Mer

Chapter 1: Rebirth
Chapter 2: Exposition
Chapter 3: Indisputable Edict
Chapter 4: Shinobi Academy
Chapter 5: Uchiha Shisui
Chapter 6: Insurmountable Grief
Chapter 7: The Last Uchiha
Chapter 8: Team 7
Chapter 9: Teamwork
Chapter 10: D-Rank Missions
Chapter 11: Claim to Freedom
Chapter 12: The Bridge Attack
Chapter 13: Men Don't Die
Chapter 14: Involuntary Enrolment
Chapter 15: The Forest Of Death
Chapter 16: Orochimaru
Chapter 17: Choice
Chapter 19: Destruction
Chapter 20: Allies
Chapter 21: Home
Chapter 22: The Truth
Chapter 23: Wings of Freedom
Chapter 24: Six Tails
Chapter 25: Seven Tails
Chapter 26: Sasuke remembers
Chapter 27: The Uchiha Swords
Chapter 28: Training Arc
Chapter 29: Uzushio's Call
Chapter 30: The Akatsuki
Chapter 31: Abhorred words
Chapter 32: Protection
Chapter 33: Declaration of War
Chapter 34: Impenetrable Siege
Chapter 35: Carnage
Chapter 36: Carnage II
Chapter 37: Surrender
Chapter 38: Ceasefire

Chapter 18: Fractures

298 9 1
Av baby4fangirl

Summary:

Team 7 falls apart. Naruto packs his bags to leave for good. Neji faces his clan head.
___________________________________

The genin contesters followed the exam proctors to the next phase of the Chuunin Exams. The rounds began immediately and the injured and exhausted genin despaired silently at the arrangement.

The arena was filled with teams who made it through the Forest of Death. Naruto recognized a few of members of Rookie Nine who made it through. The blond counted the number of teams silently. Team 8 was missing.

Naruto turned away in disinterest and gazed down at his hands idly as the Hokage stepped forward to deliver his inspirational speech.

The Sandaime droned on and on about the Will of Fire and the pride in serving the village of the Leaf. Naruto wiggled his aching fingers in boredom and examined his cuticles in disinterest.

He sighed and picked his fingernails idly. The rest of the assembled genin stood tall listening in rapt attention, their gaze locked on the wizened leader of Konohakagure.

The monotonous speech concluded and the contesters turned their attention to the large screen. The names of the contesters raced ahead on the screen and the screen paused in bolded red. Naruto's gaze turned to the large screen, peering curiously at the names of the next match up.

Naruto blinked up at the screen tiredly and his lips parted in shock. He stared at the screen in disbelief and the murmurs ran through the assembled genin. Naruto released a resigned sigh and turned on his heel sharply.

He made his way to the centre of the arena and he ignored the whispers that spread around him. The students began making their way up the stairs to watch the upcoming match. Naruto clenched his fists angrily as the arena cleared up.

Uzumaki Naruto vs Uchiha Sasuke.

The village had matched him up in a way that would ensure his failure. The Hokage had claimed that the matches were randomized but he did not believe his false claims. The match selections were deliberate. He looked ahead at his pale teammate who gazed back at him with a hard determined gaze.

"I'm an avenger. This is not just a mere exam for me Uzumaki." Uchiha spoke in a low tone. "I will defeat you and move on to the next round."

Naruto turned his speculative gaze to the spectators in the stands. He eyed the Hokage and the wizened man stared back at him with an indifferent gaze. He took long inhales from his pipe and watched the one-sided verbal exchange with little interest.

Naruto grit his teeth angrily and he tore his gaze away from the leader of the village. If he had been a normal genin with no battle preparation and fighting expertise, he would have been at a huge disadvantage. Uchiha Sasuke was a trained clan nin and The Number One Rookie. If Naruto had been a normal genin, he would have been decimated in the match.

The village did not want him to pass. They had deliberately pinned him up against a powerful opponent. They pinned him up against his own teammate who would be privy to his strengths and weaknesses. They pinned him up against a dōjutsu user, a well-known prodigy.

He was done.

It wasn't enough that they ostracized him his entire life but now they were setting him up for failure. They were unaware of Naruto's hidden strengths; they believed in the mediocre results in his genin files. They believed him to be a weak and inept shinobi. They wanted to keep him weak and malleable - perpetually stagnated in the rank of genin.

Naruto lifted his tired gaze and stared wearily at Uchiha.

The exam proctor lowered his hand, signifying the beginning of the match. Uchiha leaped back, putting a few meters of space between them. His expression was wary and his dark eyes were cautious as he gazed at him in a calculating manner.

A bone deep weariness spread through his Naruto's body and his heart solidified in a final resolve.

He wanted to be alone.

The blond genin lifted his arm up in a tired and slow motion, shocking everyone in the stands. His voice rang clear through the arena as he stared at his opponent with an indifferent expression and cold cerulean eyes.

"I forfeit."

The silence that permeated through the arena was deafening. Uchiha Sasuke reeled back in shock and his dark eyes widened in disbelief. The words ran through his mind in an endless cyclical loop - I forfeit, I forfeit, I forfeit, I forfeit, I forfeit - and he blinked in utter bewilderment.

What?

Sasuke glared at his blond teammate in confusion and betrayal. What the hell?  Uzumaki was gazing at him with a sense of finality. His expression was resolute and resigned.

The blond looked different. He was standing a few meters from him but he felt so far away. Sasuke scowled angrily, ignoring the hurt feeling building up in his chest at the rejection. He had been excited when he was matched up with his enigmatic teammate.

He had always wanted to spar with him but Uzumaki had ignored his attempts and now he was forfeiting.

Does he think I'm not worth a fight?

The exam proctor cleared his throat awkwardly and released a rattled cough. He pronounced Sasuke as the winner and the pale genin ignored his announcement.

"What the hell Uzumaki?" Sasuke spat angrily.

Uzumaki moved his hands in a fast seal and created an impeccable clone. The clone materialized next to him and it turned on its heel and leaped up to the stands. It stood in the corner away from all the contestants and leaned back against the wall with an air of indifference.

Uzumaki turned away from his enraged gaze dismissively. He moved through the wide arena and made his way to the exit doors. He paused in his steps and looked over his shoulder with a detached gaze.

"I don't owe you an explanation Uchiha." He spoke. "I don't owe you anything."

Sasuke stared at him in shocked silence. The cold words hurt. He scowled angrily and hissed at the tanned genin to fight.

Why? Why are you doing this? Why? You're not a coward... Why?

Uzumaki ignored his calls and he turned on his heel. He left the silent arena in angry brisk steps. Sasuke watched him depart with wide eyes. He was stunned. The pale genin remained rooted to the spot as he watched his teammate walk away from him.

Uzumaki Naruto walking away felt final.

"Wait!" He cried out.

Sasuke felt his heart plummet and he took a step forward after his teammate. He reached out a pale hand imploringly and he froze at his unexpected actions. Sasuke's dark eyes fell to his outstretched hand and he blinked in confusion. His body had moved impulsively.

His hand had reached after his teammate instinctively. Sasuke scowled angrily and he lowered his hand, curling it into an angry fist. He watched with a hurt gaze as his teammate pushed the doors open and left the arena.

The doors slammed shut behind him, loud and final.

Hatake Kakashi's sole grey eye widened in shock as the voice of his blond genin ran through the stands. I forfeit. He leaned forward, clasping the railings tightly in disbelief. He heard the sound of disbelief and bewilderment echo from the students and nin gathered in the audience.

Uzumaki Naruto had completed the second phase of the exam unscathed. He had no scars on his body and his dark attire was intact and undamaged. Other teams were haggard and they suffered losses in their numbers. Yūhi Kurenai's team was absent and the kunoichi instructor was away.

Naruto had battled with the snake sannin and he had survived the encounter. He had completed the second phase three days earlier, carrying his unconscious teammates alone through the Forest of Death and he collected the required scrolls without assistance.

Uzumaki Naruto was not weak.

What reason does he have to not fight? Does he perhaps not want to fight Sasuke? Is he against fighting his own teammate?

Kakashi watched in alarm as his genin student created a clone and sent him to the stands silently. The clone remained far from the rest of the gathered nin and leaned back against the wall to watch the remaining matches. Naruto turned on his heel and made his way to the doors.

He paused in his steps and spoke lowly to Sasuke. His tanned face was neutral and it gave nothing away. The blond genin ignored his teammate's calls and walked away dismissively with his hands shoved in his pockets. The doors slammed shut behind him, loud and definite. Sasuke scowled angrily and made his way back to the stands. He leaned back on the wall and closed his eyes, ignoring the inquiries of his female teammate.

Kakashi gazed at his pale genin in concealed anxiousness and he felt his stomach churn in concern and discomfort. There was something seriously wrong with Uzumaki Naruto. He couldn't understand his actions one bit and it unsettled him greatly. The Jounin sensei sighed heavily, turning back to the screen as the names of the second contesters appeared.

Gaara vs Rock Lee.

Hyūga Neji pursed his lips tightly in concern as his teammate lost his match. Rock Lee fell to the ground in an unconscious bloodied heap. Neji watched with troubled eyes as his unconscious teammate was rushed out of the arena on a stretcher.

The sand-nin lifted himself from his destroyed sand sphere and stood up on shaky legs. His pale skin was cracking and morphing itself anew. Neji grimaced at the gruesome sight and the sand-nin moved his hands in a fast seal. The sand around him whirred and he disappeared within the sphere.

He materialized on the railing next to his two teammates who immediately rushed to help him remain upright. He slapped their hands away harshly with a cold menacing glare and they backed away in fear, giving the red head a wide berth. Neji looked up at the screen as the next contesters names appeared and he scoffed at the name displayed.

Hyūga Neji vs Haruno Sakura.

What a waste of time.

Neji ignored the encouragement of Tenten and his Jounin sensei and turned on his heel, moving down the stairs at a steady pace. The two contesters made their way into the arena.

Neji met the pink haired kunoichi in the centre and she gazed at him with wide, terrified eyes. He gazed back at her with a cold, hard gaze. The genin faced each other and waited for the exam proctor to lower his hand.

The proctor announced the start of the match and lowered his hand with a rattled cough. The man stepped back and the kunoichi's eyes widened in terror as Neji's eyes morphed into his Byakugan.

He lunged forward with intense speed and the kunoichi pulled out a blade shakily. Too slow. His hands moved forward with practiced ease and he wasted no time in decimating his opponent completely.

Uzumaki Naruto raced through the village rooftops hurriedly. His mind raced with tumultuous thoughts and he grit his teeth as he reached the Hokage monument.

He paused as he reached the top.

He eyed the four monuments with dark eyes and his gaze lingered on the carved head of the Yondaime of Konohakagure. He stepped forward and he stood on the fixed monument.

He stared down at the etchings of stone. Naruto infused his soles with chakra and moved downward, gazing at the details of his deceased father's face. He pressed a hand to the cold stone and he gazed ahead mournfully.

"You've made your choice." He spoke quietly.

The wind ruffled his golden locks and dark clothing gently. The sun began setting in the horizon and the genin stood for a long moment gazing at the cold unresponsive statue reflectively.

It had no remnants of his father. The memory of the Yondaime had been reduced to mere cold stone. The statue was meant to memorialize his sacrifice and heroic actions but his sacrifice was never spoken of. It was never acknowledged by the masses. His legacy was forgotten and tossed aside.

Naruto pressed both his palms against the cold monument and he pressed his forehead against the cold lifeless stone.  He heaved a long breath and pulled back, gazing at the monument in determination.

"You've made your choice and I've made mine." He spoke resolutely.

Naruto tore his gaze away from the cold lifeless stone. The goodbye resonated through him and he took off into the night.

Farewell, father.

The blond genin lifted his head as the memories of his clone filtered through his mind. He lowered his journal gently on the bed. Naruto gazed away from the sketches of his childhood and stood up, making his way to his closet. He opened the double doors and pressed his chakra signature to the pale walls.

He began pulling down the maps slowly, his expression was pinched and determined. Naruto folded the maps carefully, eyeing his barren walls. There were no traces left behind. He flicked his fingers downward and his strings retrieved his bag from underneath his bed.

He set the maps into a storage scroll carefully and put them in his travel pack. The blond shuffled through his closet, packing a specific amount of clothes and weaponry. He paused as a photo of Team 7 dropped from the shelves, falling to his feet.

Naruto picked up the photo and he released a sardonic scoff. Uchiha was blank faced, his arms were crossed over his chest and he appeared bored as he stood in front of the camera. Haruno was smiling wide, she held up a two-fingered victory sign and Kakashi sensei was smiling a one-eyed smile as he stood behind the three genin.

The photo had been taken after they passed the bell test in celebration of their success and the establishment of their team. Naruto gazed at the blond clone in the photo. He was absent for the commemorative event. He snorted at the thought. It wasn't him in the photo. Naruto stood up and tossed the torn photo in the trash bin and turned away dismissively.  

His time in Konohakagure was up.

Hyūga Neji entered the first branch compound with a foreboding feeling in his chest. The compound was eerily silent. He had won his match easily and it had not been a difficult fight. He walked through the compound warily and made his way to the study room of the clan head.

Hinata Hyūga had not been in the third phase of the exam. Team 8 was not present and their Jounin instructor was absent from the spectators. Neji entered the quiet compound and made his way to the study of the clan head. He knocked politely and waited. He entered as the cold voice of Hiashi-sama rang through the walls.

Neji bowed immediately upon entry and lifted his pale gaze. He peered around curiously. His cousin was nowhere to be seen. The clan head sat at his large desk, his hands were clasped together tightly and he stared at him with cold clinical eyes. Neji bit back a confused frown and stood tall. Hiashi-sama tapped his fingers on the desk slowly, his eyes narrowed as he eyed the pale genin.

"Neji, what is your purpose?" He intoned lowly.

Neji blinked in confusion and answered robotically. His purpose had been drilled into him since his childhood.

"To protect and serve the first branch Hyūga-sama."

Hiashi-sama continued his tapping rhythmically. "Exactly. You are meant to serve and protect the first branch. That is your purpose. That is why you are alive. You have failed to uphold your purpose."

Neji paled at the words. What?

Hiashi-sama stood up abruptly and made his way towards him. Neji refused to cower in front of imposing man and he kept his gaze lowered as his mind spun.

How did I fail?

He felt a sharp pain on his cheek and he stumbled to the ground from the force of the harsh slap.

He blinked up at the clan head in bewilderment and touched his sore cheek. Hiashi-sama gazed down at him with cold hard eyes. The clan head glared down at him; his face was apoplectic in rage. Neji felt a cold ominous shiver run down his back and his body trembled in fear. 

"Your master is dead." Hiashi-sama hissed.

Neji's eyes widened in horror. "Wha-"

"While you were prancing around flaunting your superiority in the Forest of Death, Hinata Hyūga died at the hands of another team."

Neji paled in terror.

What? That wasn't true!

He clenched his fists angrily at the false accusations. He had been busy in the Forest of Death, guarding his scroll and fighting other genin teams for their Earth scrolls. He had been busy keeping his own teammates safe.

He had been busy keeping Tenten and Rock Lee alive. Hinata Hyūga's death was not his fault. He had his own team to worry about. The accusations were not fair. Neji curled his fingers in rage and his eyes prickled in angry tears. He gritted his teeth tightly and resisted the urge to cry.

"You have shamed the entire second clan." The clan head spat vehemently. "You had one duty and you failed completely. You're a shame to all Hyūgas."

Neji trembled in fear and he lowered his head. The clan head paced in front of him, spitting hurtful and cruel words as the young genin trembled in terror. His fingernails dug into his palms harshly and he drew blood. The clan head paused in his cruel speech and glared down at him.

Neji's eyes widened in horror as Hiashi-sama moved his fingers in a familiar seal. He had seen the exact seal many years ago. It was used on his father and his father's body had spasmed in pain and agony.

Neji grit his teeth in preparation and watched as the clan head moved his fingers together in a tight seal. The pain exploded in his head and an agonized scream tore through his throat as he writhed on the ground.

Hyūga Neji's screams ran through the compound and the night was filled with his agonized cries of pain.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

1.7K 93 14
Naruto has always known he was different. From the moment his mind could form conscious thoughts, he knew that he wasn't like everyone else. For, bur...
38.6K 1.5K 29
[Regular weekly update] (Friday-Sunday) We used to be close but people can go from people you know to people to don't~ ...
2.2K 117 28
✔ 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 Inochi Nohara was born into chaos but still strives to have a normal life at the leaf village. Orphaned at a young age, the loss...
135K 2.7K 43
"Why should I apologize for being a monster? Has anyone ever apologized for turning me into one?" Ever since his birth, Naruto always tried to keep...