The Royal Luna

By REMYG7635

The idea had never crossed my mind that the Moon Goddess could ever make an error until Alpha Derrick softly... More

Defined By Rank

3 1 0
By REMYG7635

The rain is falling gently outside. I can hear the soft patter from my slightly open window. I sit up, glancing at my alarm clock, which is only three minutes away from ringing. Today is Wednesday, marking the halfway point of the week. The Commencing Dance is tonight at 6ish, where Derrick Ellsworth is expected to meet his mate. It's no secret that Diana, who has been dating Derrick for over six years and shares a daughter named Milly, is the one he will be pared to.

However, if one were to inquire with Franny, she would assert that Derrick and Diana are merely two fleeting sparks destined to fade away. Every unattached female aspires to become his chosen partner... except for me. I must confess, he is a replica of his father, signifying that this pack will persist in its ruinous ways, and I refuse to be associated with it. I have absolutely no intentions of remaining here; my departure documents have already been signed and officially certified by King Charles. I could leave tonight if I wanted to. . . .but I have to be gone by Sunday.

As of April 12th, 2025, I will be emancipated. The upcoming week seems too lengthy in my opinion. Despite my ability to transform, I am not associated with the Mystic Crimson Pack. This pack is disintegrating, divided by hierarchy and social standing, which is not ideal. It is a lost cause; only a member of the Royal family or a Beta could initiate change within this community. Even then, it would take centuries to implement any significant transformation.

The ability to shapeshift is truly extraordinary, as it allows one to effortlessly transition between human and animal form, a talent that many humans yearn for. Currently, I find myself predominantly human rather than a mere creature. It has been quite some time since I last allowed Kia, my animal form, to roam freely.

I have been aware for a long time that my departure from Davenport is inevitable. To leave a Pack, it is necessary to obtain the King's approval. Being an unmated individual, considered a Mutt, and unwanted, it becomes easier for me to decide to finalize the necessary paperwork. However, I am fully aware that once I leave, there is no possibility of returning. I will be immediately executed as a trespasser, perceived as the enemy.

And I am okay with those rules. I have no intention to return.

However, I still have one week remaining before my departure. It shouldn't be difficult to get through this week. I have already packed everything except for my essentials. As I glance around my room, it already appears empty. "You should consider attending the dance," Franny suggests as she stands by the doorway. "This dance is open to everyone, and you never know what might happen." Franny, who is an Echo, is the proprietor of this orphanage. She is certain that I will find my other half," which is another reason a lot of single members attend.

I face her, eagerly anticipating the day when I can sleep without setting an alarm. "I will decline," I declare as I put on my shirt. "I'm not one for dancing," I confess, understanding her implication. Franny believes that Derrick will develop a strong attachment to someone other than Diana, possibly Kayla or Eliza, and I sincerely hope that's not the case for their well-being. Derrick is not a decent man; he is perilous and views women as mere targets for violence and exploitation.

Every single female is busy preparing themselves eagerly for the opportunity to be chosen by Derrick Ellsworth as his mate, his Luna. *Disgusted expression* Well, if that's what brings them joy, then I suppose it's a positive thing for them. While everyone else was dedicating a day and a half to their appearance, I was at the Soup Kitchen, procuring meals for the less fortunate Mutts and their families. I will be there again tonight preparing for tomorrow night.

I pick up my backpack and switch off the light in my room, ready to get through the day. Cady walks by, clearing her throat before suggesting, "Perhaps you should consider taking a break and focusing on addressing that," as she gestures towards my appearance with her hand. She then proceeds to make additional hand movements towards my face and hair, adding, "A little makeup never harmed anyone," she remarks with a playful smile but a hint of sarcasm.

Davenport houses the Mystic Crimson Pack, which is under the leadership of the Ellsworth family, renowned as one of the wealthiest and most influential families in existence. Derricks's parents, Charles and Lady Luna Rachel, reside in an enormous mansion that surpasses any I have ever laid eyes on, and that includes the internet. Davenport boasts a population of over 45,000 individuals, encompassing both citizens and Mutts. It's hard to grasp the idea that there is life elsewhere and I am excited to find it when I leave.

The Mystic Crimson Pack is structured according to Ranks, with each rank serving as a defining factor of one's identity. Your Rank determines various aspects of your life such as your responsibilities, relationships, compensation, and more. Apart from the Alpha position, there are Five Ranks in total: Beta, Echo, Delta's, Charx, and Mutts. Among these, Mutts hold the most prominent position within the community compared to other ranks.

Let's see: The Common People are divided into five groups:

1.) Beta's - there are many Beta's, it's a bloodline. They are considered second-acting Alpha. Like the Mayor, Doctors, lawyers, and other similar positions.

2.) Echos - the second in command. Falling right under Beta's, they are the middle-class population. They are usually the officers, firemen, and teachers.

3.) Deltas - they well are normal pack members. Although they can command orders, they are almost equal to those of the Charx rank, but they hold a higher authority. Many Delta's are Store workers and owners.

4.) Charx- the bottom feeders of society. Working for their position.

5.) Mutts- my ranking. Homeless, unwanted; lucky to have a job, lucky to be a part of this pack.

I could provide a detailed explanation of how the ranking system operates, but honestly, who cares? In less than a week, I will be leaving and I have no interest in receiving a history lesson on this nonsense. I am on the verge of becoming a free woman! I plan to live with Chloe in New York, attend college to become a child advocate and build a life for myself. I shouldn't spend my last days here thinking about this ruined pack.

I won't rely on anyone from the Davenport pack anymore. Although I will undoubtedly miss Franny and Kayla... and maybe even Cole, they will manage without me. Kayla may now be considered a Mutt since she is orphaned, but she is working towards becoming an Officer which means she needs to be a Beta and will achieve that in five years. Cole, on the other hand, is an Echo who has yet to meet his mate, but he rarely ventures out of the East side. When he does, he will find his other half. They will both be valuable assets to the Crimson Pack. I just wish people would worry less about their ranks and focus more on what truly matters: the unity of our entire community. How can we possibly be prepared for another war if everyone is preoccupied with their social status?

My longing for my parents, who were both Betas before the War of Warren, is profound. My father, a prominent General, tragically lost his life on the front lines, leaving my mother and me to be classified as Mutts. Sadly, a few months later, my mother passed away due to the immense grief she carried. At the age of 9, I found solace in joining Franny and the rest of the orphans, where I began a new chapter of my life.

In Davenport, there are numerous schools, with the quality of education decreasing farther away from the Ellsworth Mansion. I am a student at Holloway High School, which may not be top-tier but certainly isn't the lowest in quality. The distance from the Orphanage and school is merely seven miles. Although the journey is lengthy, it offers tranquility. Only the affluent Betas, also known as the top class, in Davenport, possess vehicles. The rest of the population reaches their destinations either by walking barefoot or on all fours, skateboards and bicycles are very popular.

<><><><>><><><><>

Enormous SUVs, flanked by motorcycles, speed through the streets of Davenport in a reckless manner. The cacophony of engines produces a deafening and unsettling roar that fills the air. Standing on the sidewalk, I observe the procession of vehicles zoom past me, completely oblivious to my presence. Among the bikers, I notice individuals clad in leather jackets emblazoned with the word "Rippers," signifying their role as the personal security guards of the Royal family. The contrast between the rugged appearance of the bikers and the luxurious SUVs they accompany creates a scene of both power and danger unfolding before my eyes.

"If that's what you're wearing tonight...you are definitely going to get looks," I turn around to Cole who is still watching the vehicles pass by, "The Rippers," he says with a different tone, "the deadliest members of the pack," he adds.

"They are just men who wear leather and ride a motorbike," I break down their presence but even I know that the Rippers are a force NOT to be messed with.

Cole is an amiable individual, characterized by his curly hair that cascades down to his ears and his captivating grey eyes. Standing at an average height of six feet, he possesses a distinctive scar that runs from his left ear to his chin, a reminder of a heated altercation with his elder sibling. Clad in a pair of jeans and a red shirt, both marked with stains of oil and grease, he exudes the refreshing scent reminiscent of a brand-new automobile. He carries his suit in a plastic cover. He hasn't met his mate yet but he is young and when he does....he will be a great father. "Don't you want to find him? Your other half?" Cole has always wanted to know who his mate is, which is why he is going. Every unmated female from all over Davenport will be there.

I do not believe I have a soulmate, and I rarely feel any connection anymore. I do not wish to be labeled with a foolish claim. While it may be common for casual encounters, it is expected that once you find your partner, you must have at least two children, one of them being a son, as per tradition. I am content with being alone, and I am fine with not knowing who the Moon Goddess has chosen for me. Who am I to question the will of the mighty Moon Goddess? I am insignificant. I am simply a mixed breed. Many women eagerly anticipate finding their soulmate, as part of the Rank Change ensures that the woman's rank aligns with his. This change can have a profound impact on their lives, either enhancing it or causing it to deteriorate. "I don't need a man to be happy....besides you know-"

He shrugs with a cocky grin, "I was hoping you would change your mind on that." He confesses, "this place won't be the same without you," he tries, and really tries to make it sound sincer but even I can read between the letters. This place, Davenport will not even notice when I am gone. "I should really get-"

"Yeah, go for it," I wave him on, "call me and let me know," I encourage as he walks away. He even walks like an Echo, head held high and confidence in each step he takes.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The Soup Kitchen has this playground out in the front of it and a sandbox. I remember playing on that playset..... I start with the tables and chairs, arranging them for more individuals to have a seat. The meals are usually donated, or we spend today making them. Like I made spaghetti and Cole is making tuna sandwiches. "What are you doing here?" Darla asks coming in from the back entrance, "you should be getting ready for the dance tomorrow!" But I ignore the statement. Darla runs the Soup Kitchen, her family has had this business for over 83 centuries, all in an attempt to help the homeless and their families.

During my youth, my mother and I used to visit the Soup Kitchen, where she would bring back clothes that had been donated but were still in poor condition with holes and unpleasant odors. These items would be given to the orphanage as donations. At the age of ten, I began volunteering at the Soup Kitchen after school and during various events.The Soup Kitchen is open every Friday with more donations from around Davenport. {One man's trash is another's treasure.} That's Darla's family's phrase for their business. I am unsure of the reasons behind my decision to volunteer at this place. I am uncertain about the benefits I gain from it. However, I believe it gives me a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. If I were not leaving, I am confident that I would continue to come here every Friday, just like the families who regularly visit.

I place the meals in the fridge for tomorrow evening. There should be more than enough after tomorrow morning's meals are made and set aside. "Looks like we have company," Darla says from the front windows, she moves the curtains and sure enough there is a line of vehicles coming into Davenport.... "The Rippers are here too," shivers race down my spine to the word....the scariest men alive....The Rippers. They ride in groups on their motorcycles..... how many are there? Didn't I just see over twenty of those guys with the SUV's?

"Is there a reason your not going tonight?" Darla motions towards the clock, its almost six. With her big round glasses perched perfectly on her nose, she sports short brown hair that adds to her charming appearance. Currently, she is five months pregnant with her second child, radiating a glow of motherhood. Her choice of clothing reflects a perfect blend of comfort and casual style, allowing her to effortlessly navigate through her daily routine.

Stepping away from the refrigerator, I close the door with a gentle nudge from my foot. Unbeknownst to her, I am slipping away quietly, wary of the potential consequences if she were to discover my departure and spread the news like wildfire. The risk simply isn't worth it. While there may not be any legal repercussions, the vindictiveness of people is not to be underestimated. Though I have a fondness for Darla, my trust lies more securely with Franny. "I am in no rush to find him," I lie through my teeth, I wonder if she can tell.

"I think you should go to this dance, you could find him," Darla is marred to her highschool sweetheart and they have five childern together...but last year she met her mate and now carries his second child, a boy. Meaning, she is free to be with her husband after the birth. Again, with me leaving I don't understand how any of this is of my concern. Why do I always disect someone when I talk to them? Whatever happened to the simple nod and smile? "I tell you what, why don't we wrap things up early and you head back home to get ready?" And the pit of my stomach is growing deeper and twisting.

"That isn't nessarry though," this was supposed to my escape for the night, to get away from everyone bothering me about the dance. I guess I could just hid out in my room...call Chloe or I could binge watch something on Netflix. But she gives that very determined glance, I have no choice but to pack up and leave, she might think she is doing me a favor but she couldn't be more then wrong.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Leave your thoughts for a shout out in the next chapter! Please be honest!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

541K 17.6K 157
Genre: Space, Doting, Farming, Time travel, Healing Synopsis: Xu Linyue from the 21st century crossing over with the heavenly space soul penetration...
1.9M 97.2K 38
Presenting the story of ISHIKA MEHRA Whose innocence made the king bow down to her AND ABHIRAJ SINGH RATHORE Whose presence is enough to make the per...
441K 24.4K 166
Featured at Wattpad's Editor Picks list. Luna, an overworked Engineer, had an unfortunate end. Her spirit, feeling wronged, fights Death for a second...
1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...