𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐈𝐓 𝐎𝐅𝐅 ( 𝐌𝐀𝐓...

By -THEGREATSIMP-

❝ what is this? every time we fight are we just gonna kiss and make up? ❞ ❝ you know i can't focus on anythin... More

𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐈𝐓 𝐎𝐅𝐅
𝟬𝟬𝟭, 𝗶'𝗺 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸
𝟬𝟬𝟮, 𝘀𝗵𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗴𝗶𝗰
𝟬𝟬𝟯, 𝗶 𝗺𝗶𝘀𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂
𝟬𝟬𝟰, 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴
𝟬𝟬𝟱, 𝗼𝗵 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗹 𝗻𝗼
𝟬𝟬𝟲, 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲𝗱?
𝟬𝟬𝟳, 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗰𝗶𝘁𝘆
𝟬𝟬𝟴, 𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝗸𝗶𝗱𝘀
𝟬𝟬𝟵, 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗸𝗲𝗿-𝗶𝘀𝗵
𝟬𝟭𝟬, 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝗮𝗴𝗼 𝘁𝗼𝗱𝗮𝘆
𝟬𝟭𝟭, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗶𝗳 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝘆...
𝟬𝟭𝟮, 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝘂𝗺𝗯
𝟬𝟭𝟯, 𝘆𝗲𝘀 𝗺𝗮'𝗮𝗺
𝟬𝟭𝟰, 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝘂𝗿𝗹𝘀
𝟬𝟭𝟱, 𝗴𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗱?
𝟬𝟭𝟲, 𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝗼
𝟬𝟭𝟳, 𝗺𝗮𝘁𝘁 𝗹𝗼𝗿𝗲
𝟬𝟭𝟴, 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗮 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗹𝗲𝗱
𝟬𝟮𝟬, 𝗶 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹 𝘄𝗲𝗶𝗿𝗱
𝟬𝟮𝟭, 𝗹𝗲𝘁'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸 𝗶𝘁
𝟬𝟮𝟮, 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗲
𝟬𝟮𝟯, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗳𝗮𝗶𝗿
𝟬𝟮𝟰, 𝗵𝗲'𝘀 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗮 𝗯𝗼𝘆
𝟬𝟮𝟱, 𝘄𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗴𝗼 𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱
𝟬𝟮𝟲, 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗵𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗺𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲
𝟬𝟮𝟳, 𝗶 𝗱𝗼𝗻'𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄
𝟬𝟮𝟴, 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝗱𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲?
𝟬𝟮𝟵, 𝗸𝗶𝗱 𝗶𝘀 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗽𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵𝘆
𝟬𝟯𝟬, 𝗮𝘄𝗸𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱
𝟬𝟯𝟭, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝗮 𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆
𝟬𝟯𝟮, 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂

𝟬𝟭𝟵, 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁'𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝗹?

2.3K 106 298
By -THEGREATSIMP-

CHAPTER NINETEEN !
⤷ ❝ WHAT'S THE DEAL? ❞

matthew.sturniolo

liked by em.jagger, christophersturniolo, and 63,684 others

matthew.sturniolo ⌛️

tagged - ///

comments

user hey bf

doriangilmore what day is it????
matthew.sturniolo game dayyyy

em.jagger hey ur cute
matthew.sturniolo hey thanks

user no warning this is sick

lenarossi kid thinks he's him
matthew.sturniolo am i not ?
lenarossi no

user YEAR THREE LFGGG

user can u hurry up and graduate we need u in montreal
user realistically he's prob gonna get his rights traded to either the rangers or bruins..

christophersturniolo that's my brother fr
matthew.sturniolo fr

nicolassturniolo handsome hockey player fr
matthew.sturniolo real

user hey can u please stay in la and join the kings I BEG

user do u need another dog

zararossi baby face killer
matthew.sturniolo shout out ryan kennedy

issacnelson why'd u kinda eat matt
matthew.sturniolo should i be offended by the kinda

xavirossi he can hang with the big boys
matthew.sturniolo chill

user suddenly i like hockey

user GOOD MORNING ? TAKE ME TO DINNER FIRST ?

user this shit made my chest hurt wtf

user i've never seen your account before this but i'm sure i love you

ZARA SITS IN THE UCLA ICE RINK alongside chris and nick. the stands are filled with cheering fans since it's the first game of the season. zara laughs when she thinks about it, but she can almost guarantee that some people (girls) are only here for matt.

zara can't relate. she's watching dorian too! 

so far, the game against umass has been more intense than anyone expected. the score remains tied at 2-2 as the third period looms ahead. zara can't help but feel nervous as she watches the players in the huddles on the bench. 

zara is sitting at the very top level of the arena, right behind the players. chris got them the seats because he's a celebrity now. he doesn't want to have to deal with potential fans. he just wants to support his brother. 

that's the reason why he's sitting next to zara with a cap over his head and his hoodie over half his face. he's such a goof. everyone knows it's him too.

"matt is getting frustrated," chris says as he adjusts himself on the seat. "i can tell."

nick nods. "they're playing a 2-1-2, pushing mainly on his side." 

zara looks between both nick and chris like what they're saying is a foreign language. see, even after three years of coming to matt's games, she still doesn't understand hockey. there's just something about the way that points are different from a goal and that there are no out-of-bounds that just confuses her.

"it's a 2-1-2 and strong-side overload." chris turns to zara and sees her nodding. he laughs because he knows there's no way in hell she understands. "it just means that they're outnumbering matt on his side because they know how good he is." chris pauses and when he sees the light bulb flickering in her head, he continues. "it's almost like every team on messi or on mbappe."

"that i understand!" zara says with a nod as she adjusts the hat on her own head. it's one that matt gave her and told her she has to wear any time he's having a rough time on the ice. "trust guys. i'm working on my hockey knowledge."

nick hums sarcastically. "you'll get there one day!" zara rolls her eyes at him and nick pulls out his phone. "matt is so upset right now look at him."

zara turns to matt and can see that he is visibly frustrated. nick opens up his snapchat and turns on his dual camera feature. he leans his phone over to get zara, him, and chris in the front lens, and a very mad matt in the back.

"i feel bad," zara says with a shake of her head. 

it's clear that matt is feeling the pressure of the game weighing heavily on his shoulders. zara knows matt takes losses more personally than anyone she knows. he's always been competitive and refuses to accept anything less than the best. the prospect of starting the season with anything less of a win isn't something he'd even consider.

matt, playing left wing, is one of the team's star players. known for his speed, agility, and scoring ability, he's kind of a big deal on the ice. however, umass and every other team in the country knows that. they closely mark matt, making it difficult for him to find open space.

still though, matt has two assists, setting up dorian for crucial goals. that's not enough for him though because his team still doesn't have the lead. his usually calm, laidback, 'i don't care about anything' demeanor is replaced by a visible tension, evident in the way he angrily squeezes the water bottle in his hand and the way he runs a hand through his hair with force. 

as the break between periods comes to an end, zara watches intently as the players prepare to return to the ice. she can see the determination on matt's face as he wipes the sweat from his forehead with a towel. 

she watches a he picks up his helmet and throws his head back. with a quick shake of his head to settle his hair, matt swiftly dons his helmet before gliding back onto the ice with purpose.

as he takes his position on the ice, zara notices him scanning the crowd. a small smile tugs at his lips as he waves at nick, chris, and zara, his frustration momentarily forgotten. the three of them return the gesture, then matt points to his head, acknowledging the hat.

zara returns the gesture with a smile and a nod, hoping that the hat brings the luck he thinks it does. she does not feel like dealing with a grumpy matt after the game.

ZARA WORE THE HAT. zara wore the hat and matt still can't help his team get that third goal. as the final seconds of the game tick away, matt can't shake the feeling of disappointment gnawing at him. 

it's not that he truly believes in the superstitions or lucky charms of the hat, but there's something about zara's faith in it that makes him hesitate. the fact that it has to do with her makes it so much more important to him.

he's disappointed her before and he'd rather not do it again, even if it's just by failing to score a goal. matt knows he needs to step up his game. not just for himself or his team, but for zara. 

"switch with me," matt whispers urgently to dorian as they exchange a quick glance. dorian nods in understanding. it's something they do often. if movement gets static, they switch positions to inject a new energy. right now, they both know that a goal now could make all the difference.

with a seamless transition, matt and dorian execute their plan flawlessly. as dorian swiftly steals the puck from the other team in the corner, matt positions himself perfectly in the center, ready to receive the pass.

dorian's quick thinking and precise execution catch the opposing team off guard, giving matt the split-second he needs. with lightning-fast reflexes, matt darts towards the net, his eyes locked on the puck as it glides towards him.

every muscle in his body is tense as he sprints towards the net. the crowd's roar echoes in his ears so loud that it's almost quiet in his ears. with a flick of his stick, matt moves the puck past the last defender, his eyes locked on the goalie. the goalie braces for impact, ready to make the save, but matt has other plans.

in a move that catches everyone off guard, matt jukes to the left, leaving the goalie lunging helplessly in the wrong direction. 

with a powerful swing of his stick, matt sends the puck soaring towards the open goal with pinpoint accuracy. time seems to slow down as the puck rockets into the back of the net with a satisfying thud, sending the crowd into a frenzy of cheers and applause. 

matt spins away from the net in celebration. using his hockey stick as an air guitar, he bends a knee and pretends to rock along to an imaginary tune, a playful grin stretching across his face. he knows that zara finds this celebration amusing, and he can't resist in doing it for her.

he is engulfed in a wave of excited teammates. they surround him with cheers and bone-crushing hugs.

"good fucking shit matt!" dorian exclaims as he jumps into matt's arms. the real bromance honestly. 

as the final seconds of the game tick away, matt is just glad. he knows that he's just secured a hard-fought victory for his team, and the joy of that accomplishment is almost overwhelming.

amidst the chaos of the celebration, matt's eyes scan the crowd for one familiar face. and when he spots zara, up on her feet and embracing nick and chris, he feels that weird, warm feeling in his chest. he has to look away from her before the feeling overtakes him.

after the final buzzer, he lets the game celebrations take over him. his teammates and coaches around him, congratulating him on his game-winning goal and patting him on the back. there are high-fives, fist bumps, and shouts of victory.

the celebrations continue in the locker room, but matt knows he can't linger for too long. with chris, nick, and zara waiting for him outside the arena, he quickly wraps up the post-game festivities and heads for the showers. 

outside, he knows that chris found himself caught lacking and is now engulfed in a mini-photo opp. it gives matt a bit more time to emerge from the locker room, freshly showered and dressed. 

with a quick glance at his watch, matt quickens his pace, eager to just go home. as he approaches, chris spots him first, breaking away from their spot at the vending machine and rushing over.

"matt, you fucking legend!" chris exclaims, practically leaping into matt's arms with an exaggerated hug. matt literally stumbles back with his bag in hand, trying to keep both himself and chris up right. "that goal was insane!"

matt laughs, returning chris's hug with equal enthusiasm. "thanks chris."

next in line is nick, who follows suit with a hearty hug of his own. "i've never been more proud to be your brother," nick says with a smile. "these girls literally only knew you because they watch my channel and i felt a little giddy."

grateful for the support of his brothers, matt's smile widens as he finally turns his attention to zara, who stands a few steps behind chris and nick. instantly, his smile brightens the sight of her, her presence lighting up his win just a tad bit more.

wait what? why? matt is tweaking right now. maybe he needs some electrolytes.

for a moment, matt hesitates, mindful of zara's relationship with grayson. he wants to be respectful of their relationship, but before he can overthink it, zara steps forward, a radiant smile gracing her lips.

"you're awesome matt," she says as she wraps her arms around matt in a tight hug, pulling him close with an affectionate squeeze. 

matt instinctively returns the embrace, savoring the warmth and comfort of her presence. "thanks, zar," he murmurs softly. for a moment, matt almost forgets how to hug her normally. with their past and all, usually matt would be a bit more... touchy. he keeps his composure though.

he's a new man! trust!

when they part, their smiles lingering as they exchange a brief glance. matt's heart feels that same warmth it was feeling before and he's suddenly feeling a little bit sick.

before he can dwell on it further, chris interrupts, the moment. "so are we going to the gas station for a sweet treat... or?"

"absolutely," both nick and zara say at the same time.

matt snorts at the fact and shrugs. "i'm down."

chris pulls his car key out of his pocket and swings it around his finger. matt doesn't miss the fact that he has an alessia flores sour tour chain connected to it. his brother is so down bad. "say no more."

the four of them are about to make their exit out, but their conversation is cut short. a familiar figure approaches, catching chris's attention. it's emily. matt's heart skips a beat as he realizes she's come to congratulate him on his performance.

with a quick glance at zara, matt feels a twinge of... guilt? he's not sure why. zara has a boyfriend and since when does matt feel guilty? he meets zara's gaze and finds nothing but a smug look on her face. why is that shocking to him? huh?

he's so fucking confused.

"hey, matt," emily greets him with a bright smiles. "i was working one of the food stands, but made it out to see him score the winning goal. you really played good."

"thanks," he replies, returning her smile with genuine warmth. he likes her! he's been putting energy into her! why all of a sudden does he not want to do it anymore now that zara is watching him? "glad you were here to see it."

emily unexpectedly pulls him into a hug, the warmth of her embrace sending a jolt of confusion through him. before he can fully process what's happening, she presses her lips against his, catching him off guard with the suddenness of the kiss.

he wasn't expecting this at all, and he's unsure how to respond. his mind flashes to zara, standing just a few steps away. why is he thinking of another girl while kissing her?

looks like matt is not becoming a better man after all.

as emily pulls away, her smile still lingering on her lips, matt's mind is in turmoil. he wants to say something, to explain, but the words get caught in his throat. "i got to go finish cleaning up." emily speaks for him. "text me later?"

"uh, yeah, see you later," he manages to stammer out, offering a weak smile in return. with a sense of unease gnawing at him, matt watches as emily walks away, disappearing around the hallway.

with a playful wink, chris turns to matt. "so, matt, you want that victory snack or what?"

matt nods eagerly, grateful for the distraction. "yeah, let's go," he says, casting a quick glance at zara before following chris towards the exit. he hopes that no one says anything but he knows that's just wishful thinking.

as they make their way towards the exit, nick turns to matt's shoulder, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "so, matt, things with emily seem to be heating up, huh?"

"don't say heating up nick that's weird," matt says, completely avoiding the question. he doesn't have an answer. is he even sure about emily? why is he feeling so conflicted about it?

chris chimes in, his tone teasing. "he's not gonna say anything nick," chris wraps an arm around matt's shoulders. "this is classic matt. remember last winter when he was with that mystery girl and wouldn't tell us who it was?"

zara catches matt's eye, and they share a knowing look. of course, it was her last year. but chris doesn't know that, and matt isn't about to tell him now.

matt lets out a forced chuckle, trying to brush off the conversation about emily. "doesn't matter now," he says, hoping to steer the conversation away from his personal life. matt knows it's a lie and he hopes that zara knows that too.

"whatever you say," chris replies, dropping the subject as they step out into the cool afternoon air. 

as they walk towards chris's car, the conversation turns into a lighter one. zara walks beside matt and he can't help but notice the fact that she didn't indulge in any of the teasing. usually she would.

as they drive off for their sweet treats, matt can't help but steal glances at zara, her silhouette drawing his attention all the time. the confusion and uncertainty swirling inside him is all stemming from her. he doesn't know what to do with that information.

it's actually making him ill.

nicolassturniolo added a photo to their story

emily jagger

matt sturn ─── matt
emily jagger ─── emily

emily jagger

hey

matt sturn

hey

emily jagger

wyd rn ?

matt sturn

u say i'm the worst at texting
look at u rn

emily jagger

i'm just trying to get to the point

matt sturn

😭
what's your point

emily jagger

to ask u to come over

matt sturn

oh
i can't tn sorry

emily jagger

not even for victory sex? 😕

matt sturn

oh wow bold text

emily jagger

to the point

matt sturn

 i can't
i'm with my brothers right now

emily jagger

and zara

matt sturn

and zara
but her siblings are here too

emily jagger

did u guys have thing?

matt sturn

me and who?

emily jagger

u and zara

matt sturn

not really
freshman year for a little
we're just friends now though

emily jagger

u sure ?

matt sturn

yeah ?

emily jagger

lol okay
text me if u change your mind

matt sinks into the plush couch, surrounded by the lively chatter of his friends as they watch premier league highlights on the tv. it's two teams matt doesn't even know the name of, but it's on due to xavier and lena's request. soccer isn't really his thing, but he can appreciate the excitement and skill of the game.

as the goals and saves flash across the screen, matt occasionally nods along, pretending to understand why lena is complaining about a player passing the ball backwards instead of backwards to the left. he glances around the room, taking in the familiar faces of nick, chris, xavier, and lena, but his gaze lingers on the empty spot next to nick.

where's zara?

her absence creates this void, like a missing puzzle piece in the room. matt always notices when zara isn't in a room. it's like the air is a little cooler without her there. matt fidgets with the remote control in his hand, suddenly feeling restless. 

with a sigh, matt pushes himself off the couch, catching the attention of his friends. he's just gonna keep thinking about it, so he might as well just go find her. "i'm gonna go look for zara," he announces, trying to keep his voice casual as possible.

"alright," nick says, not even taking his eyes off his phone.

"i think i saw her go either to the kitchen or she's in her room," lena explains, turning to look at him. she holds her hand out to him. "give me the remote before you go."

matt gently throws the remote in lena's direction. as he's in the process of turning around, he catches a knowing glance from chris. matt just shakes his head at him, not really wanting to get into it.

walking down the hallway to the kitchen where zara presumably is, matt finds himself lost in his own thoughts. why is he so concerned with where she is? it's not like they're attached at the hip or anything. at least they're not anymore.

but then again, whenever she's around, things just feel... better to matt. there's an inexplicable warmth that her presence brings, a comfort that he finds hard to explain.

as he rounds the corner into the kitchen, matt spots zara standing by the counter, her attention focused on cutting up something. he can't see what it is because he back is to them. the soft light from the overhead lamp casts a gentle glow around her, highlighting the curve of her cheek and the way her hair falls in loose waves around her shoulders. for a moment, matt simply watches her, captivated by the simple act of her slicing the fruit.

clearing his throat softly, matt calls out to her, his voice breaking the quiet of the room that was once only filled with the sound of the knife slicing through. 

"hey, zar," he calls out, his voice softer than he intended as he walks closer to her.

zara pauses her cutting, turning slightly to acknowledge him with a warm smile. "hey, matt." then, she resumes her task, her attention returning to the apple on the cutting board before her.

for a moment, there's a comfortable silence between them, broken only by the rhythmic sound of the knife against the cutting board. matt finds himself at a loss for words, unsure of what to say or do next. he shifts his weight from one foot to the other, feeling slightly awkward in the presence of someone who knows him so well.

"what are you making?" matt asks, standing a few feet away from her, careful to maintain a respectful distance. he knows all too well the dangers of letting his guard down around her, especially in moments like these when the air feels charged with something he can't quite define.

sometimes he finds it hard to control himself around zara, and now days it's just extra hard.

"apples and cinnamon," zara answers easily. matt looks down at her apples of choice, and sees that she's using green apples instead of a red ones.

he can't help but scrunch his nose slightly when he notices. "green apples? are you sure about that?"

zara laughs softly at his expression, shaking her head at his immediate apprehension. "it tastes better with these," she says, flashing him a playful grin that makes his stomach flip a little. "trust i'll make you try it."

matt raises an eyebrow skeptically but decides to take her word for it. after all, zara has a knack for cooking, and he's learned not to doubt her culinary skills. "alright, i'll give it a try." 

as zara continues to slice the apples, the sweet aroma of cinnamon fills the air, mingling with the warmth of the kitchen that matt didn't find in the living room. matt watches her work, admiring the way her hands move with practiced ease. he can't help but feel a sense of comfort wash over him in her presence, like everything is right with the world when she's around.

"thanks for coming to my game tonight," he says, his voice sincere. "i know you didn't have to do that."

zara pauses her slicing and turns to face him, a soft smile playing on her lips. "it's no problem, matt," she reassures him. "i wanted to be there to support you."

matt nods, grateful for her understanding. "i appreciate it," he says. "and i'm sorry again for how i've treated you. not just recently with grayson, but just with..." matt trails off and meets zara's eyes. "everything over the years."

matt feels stupid. all these words are spilling out his mouth and he can't even stop them. he doesn't even know why. 

of course, zara has been long overdue an apology. matt for sure needed to gain some maturity to give it to her, but for some reason he hopes the apology does more than just earns him a smile and an 'it's okay'.

zara's laughter fills the air, cutting through the tension like a knife through butter. "it's okay, matt," she says. dreams do not come true. "you're not always the brightest bulb in the box, but that's what friends are for. to pick up each other's slack until the other pulls their head out of their ass."

matt tries to ignore the way his heart sinks at the mention of him and zara being friends. that's what they are! why is he acting shocked? why is he suddenly at a loss for words because it's not something he wanted to hear?

"i guess so," matt says, feeling this suddenly heavy weight lift place on his shoulders. "thanks for being patient with me."

zara reaches out and gently squeezes his arm, her touch sending a shiver down his spine. "of course," she says, her voice soft and comforting. "the apology does me a lot to me, so thank you for that."

matt meets her gaze, but she looks away before he can decipher the look in her eyes. maybe it's a good thing that she looked away. a second longer and matt might've been doing something stupid.

again.

as the weight of their conversation settles between them, zara breaks the tension with a teasing smile. "so, matt," she begins, her tone light and playful, "what's the deal with you and emily? are you two a thing now?"

matt feels a flush rise to his cheeks at the mention of emily. he hadn't even had a chance to process what happened earlier, and now zara's bringing it up. she's that last person he wants bringing it up.

"you know," matt starts, searching for the right words. "i'm not really sure, to be honest. we're... figuring things out, i guess."

zara raises an eyebrow, a knowing smirk playing on her lips. "figuring things out, huh? sounds complicated." 

matt nods, feeling a knot form in his stomach. he knows he needs to sort out his feelings, but right now, everything feels so uncertain.

"guess so," he admits, unable to meet zara's gaze. she's the one making it so complicated. if only she knew.

zara laughs softly, a gentle sound that soothes matt's nerves. "well, just let me know if you need any advice. i'm always here to help." yeah never mind. matt wants to die.

as zara transfers the cut apples to a bowl, she points to a back cabinet without looking up. "sorry to ruin the moment, but can you grab the cinnamon and brown sugar from there?" she asks, her voice casual as she continues to work. how can she be so casual after that?

matt nods, appreciating the opportunity to contribute in some small way and to get away from the tension he's starting to feel building. he walks over to the cabinet and rummages around until he finds the containers of cinnamon and brown sugar. 

"these?" 

zara flashes him a grateful smile in return, her eyes briefly meeting his before returning to her task. "yeah. thanks," she says, her voice warm with appreciation.

as matt watches her sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar over the apples, he forgets about everything else—his hockey game, grayson, their complicated history—and simply focuses on the simple act of making cinnamon apples with zara.

with the way things are going with grayson, matt might not be able to have many moments with her like this one. in that moment, he realizes just how much he values zara, how much he cherishes these small moments that they share together. he's already known that he has, but it's just... oh no.

as matt assists zara with the cinnamon apples, he finds himself slipping into a comfortable rhythm with her. too comfortable of a rhythm. they work together seamlessly, each knowing exactly what needs to be done without the need for words. 

everything just continues to remind him of what he and zara used to be. it makes him sick. he feels like a broken record, but he's actually sick.

once the apples are coated to their liking, zara heats a skillet on the stove, adding a knob of butter to melt. matt watches as the butter sizzles and melts, and he watches zara carefully transfer the cinnamon-coated apples into the skillet, the sound of them hitting the hot surface making his mouth water.

the kitchen fills with the sweet scent of cinnamon and butter, mingling with the tartness of the apples. the scent is just so... fall. matt and zara stand side by side, watching as the apples begin to soften and caramelize, the edges turning golden brown and crispy.

finally, after what feels like an eternity of waiting, the apples are done. zara turns off the stove and grabs a spoon.

zara takes a spoonful of the warm cinnamon apples, blowing on them gently before bringing the spoon to her mouth. matt watches intently, his heart beating a little faster than usual as he waits for her reaction. her eyes light up with delight as she tastes the sweet and spicy flavors, a smile spreading across her face.

"these turned out amazing," she says, turning to matt with a grin. matt can't help but smile back. zara turns to him, blowing on the spoon again. there are more of the apples on it and she holds out the spoon with a mischievous glint in her eyes. 

"here, open up," she says, gesturing for him to try the apples.

matt hesitates for a moment. in literally zero worlds is that a good idea. he knows that for sure, but still, he opens his mouth obediently, allowing zara to feed him a spoonful of the warm, cinnamon-coated apples.

as the sweet and spicy flavors explode on his tongue, matt can't help but close his eyes and savor the moment. the warmth of the kitchen, the sweet scent of cinnamon and butter, the gentle touch of zara's hand under his chin as she feeds him—it all feels so familiar, so comforting, yet so... wrong.

his stomach is quite literally in knots. he has never felt this way before and he doesn't even know what the feeling is! this is not okay.

but in that moment, none of it matters. all that matters is the taste of the cinnamon apples on his tongue, the warmth spreading through him with each bite. and as he opens his eyes to meet zara's gaze, he realizes just how much he's missed moments like these with her.

but at the same time, he knows that it's not like that. so as he swallows the last bite of the cinnamon apples, matt pushes aside his conflicting emotions and forces a smile. "okay they are really good."

"told you so," she says with a shrug. she moves away from him and matt just laughs at her.

zara gives matt a playful smile as she hands him a bowl. "alright, it's all you now," she says, tapping him on the chest twice to emphasize that it's his turn to take charge of the apples. he knows she's teasing him, but there's also a hint of truth in her words. after all, she did practically carry them through the cooking process.

also, her touching him is just not making things easier.

as zara steps back, matt takes a moment to look at the apples in the skillet, their golden-brown edges glistening in the soft light of the kitchen. he realizes one thing.

he's just as cooked as they are.

with a sigh, matt carefully scoops the warm cinnamon apples into the bowl, making sure to get every last bit of the delicious caramelized goodness. he can feel zara's eyes on him as he works, and he ignores the way it makes him feel.

once the skillet is empty and the bowl is filled to the brim with the fragrant cinnamon apples, matt turns to zara with a triumphant smile. "all done," he announces, holding out the bowl for her to see.

zara grins, her eyes sparkling with pride. "i'm so proud of you," she says, giving him a nod of approval. "doing something good for once." matt snorts but doesn't say anything else.

lena walks in first, her nose twitching as she inhales deeply. "what's that delicious fall smell?" she asks, peering over matt's shoulder to get a look at the bowl of cinnamon apples.

chris, nick, and xavier follow close behind, their curiosity piqued by the scent too. they crowd around the kitchen island, their eyes lighting up at the sight of the warm, caramelized apples.

"what kind of apples did you guys use?" chris asks, reaching for a nearby spoon.

zara looks at matt chuckles. they really are the same. "granny smith."

chris scrunches his nose, just as matt did. matt is already on the defensive though. "trust, they're still good. maybe even better than usual."

without hesitation, the siblings start grabbing bowls and serving themselves generous portions of the cinnamon apples.

as chris reaches for his bowl, he shoots matt a sly look, a knowing glint in his eyes. matt can feel the weight of chris's gaze, and he shifts uncomfortably under the scrutiny. he knows chris can see right through him, can see the way he's been acting strangely around zara lately.

but before matt can dwell on it further, nick interrupts with a dramatic hum. "wait these are actually good."

the tension in the room eases as the siblings dig into the cinnamon apples, their laughter filling the air. matt still feels a little sick being this close to zara. he just hopes that maybe all he needs is a little cinnamon and sugar to sweeten things up.

if not, he's cooked.

VAL SPEAKS

on a scale of 1-10 how cooked is matt

zara & matt are lowk dress coded

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

634K 9.8K 44
-'𝜗𝜚'- 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 ⎯ chris sturniolo winds up messaging a stranger without realising his mistake and somehow...
262K 8K 31
come on, baby, don't you hurt me anymore, i'm not the same way that i was before. ━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛. . . 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗻𝘆 has spent for as...
143K 1.7K 26
"i really love you for everything you've done for me, chris." "and i'd do so much more, naomi." ♡ 𝘐𝘕 𝘞𝘏𝘐𝘊𝘏 𝐍𝐀𝐎𝐌𝐈 and 𝐂𝐇𝐑𝐈𝐒 have alw...
12.2K 438 10
❝ here to watch me beat your boyfriend, denni? ❞ ❝ over my dead fucking body, sturniolo. ❞ 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛. . . ever since she was young, 𝗱𝗲𝗻𝗶𝘇...