Worst Cupid Ever

By Precious_Nkem

Genevieve had a crush on her boss. Yes, HAD. After witnessing how much of a cold, dead-on-the-inside grinch h... More

Yep...
He Is Not That Awesome
Invisible
You Must Love Raymond
Going Down The Drain
There's Something In The Cake
Deal?
Shouldn't Have Done That
Your Tears Are Infectious
Show Me His Picture
This is Embarrassing But...
He's Kinda Like Me
Just Do It
Characters
Can I Say The L-Word?
Mama Bear
The Childish Contract
Sweet Tooth Boss
Bellamy and Jules
Personal Paparazzi
Losing Daylight
You Need To Chill
An Insane Deal
Haruto's Decision
Teacher's Favourite
Haruto's Request
Raymond and Jane
Howaboutwedate?
I'll Help You
Tell Me More
Let's Go
This Is Bad
Hug Me
Butterfly
Crazy Zapping Love
Don't Do It
I Regret Nothing
Run
Haruto's Trial (1)

Go Lower

83 12 4
By Precious_Nkem

Ada turned panicked eyes to Maya. "W-what's going on?"

"Please, sit." Maya gestured at two chairs next to Bo.

"Don't tell me you were expecting the rifter," Luke said, displeasure colouring his face. "Is this a frequent occurrence? Rifters coming in and out of a cupid division?"

"That's not the case, Luke," Maya answered with an exasperated sigh.

Luke scowled at Haruto. "Is this another attempt to plead your case? How many years had it been? It seems you're yet to learn your lesson or accept your place."

Ada itched to reach over and cover Haruto's ears. It was strange seeing a Helmet behave this coldly to a cupid. Or was this the norm? Maybe the Southern Division simply lucked out with their Helmets.

Instead of answering Luke's question, Haruto's eyes remained downcast with his arms folded across his chest. He wouldn't stop bouncing his leg.

"What's with this dude?" Bo barked at Luke. "Why are you obsessed with our division? Your visits have become too frequent. It's annoying."

Luke waved as if to brush aside Bo's outburst. "I see you are yet to fix that fragile temper of yours. And I have every right to visit as often as I wish." Relaxing more in his chair, he pinned Ada with a sharp stare. "What's your name?"

Flinching to an upright position, Ada clenched her fists on her thighs. "Adarosa," she whispered in a shaky voice.

Why was she suddenly scared? It wasn't like she had failed her match. Luke had no power to drop her. But there was something about him, that permanent condescending look on his face, the way he seemed disappointed in everything and everyone.

I've done nothing wrong. I have no reason to be scared. Luke can't drop me because I'm not part of his division. Raymond and Genevieve will fall in love. Things will work out.

"I didn't hear that. Speak clearly." Luke glanced at Maya. "Why is she whispering? I've never heard of a speech-impaired cupid."

Bo's fingers curled as if readying for a punch. "Ha. Don't give in," she muttered. "Don't give in to that lizard, Bo." Digging into her pocket, she retrieved a pair of earbuds and furiously stuffed them in her ears.

Instead of giving Luke an answer, Maya sat at the head of the table and gave Tasha a nod. "Pull up the file. And," she gave Luke a pointed look, "next time, we would appreciate it if you inform us before you visit."

"Why? What rule says I must?" Resting his forearms on the table, Luke clasped his fingers and looked straight at Haruto. "Perhaps you do not wish I learn that you let rifters into your division."

"No," Ada said before she could stop herself. Everything was going horribly wrong. It was all her fault. Everything was her fault. She should have listened when Haruto told her to let things be. "That's not it. I am—"

"Turns out she's not speech-impaired after all," Luke said in a bored voice. "What's your name?"

"A-Adarosa."

Frowning, Luke appeared to be in deep thought before his eyes lit in recognition. "You are the one." He snapped his fingers and chuffed. "You're the cupid my colleagues here boast about. They say the One Up High personally named you. It's an honour to meet you."

Awe and pride always warmed Ada's heart whenever the Helmets recounted her delivery story. But the way Luke said those words, that disbelieving tone and subtle mockery. Ada hugged herself and hunched.

Tasha sent Ada a small sympathetic smile and mouthed 'logger'. Pulling out the device, Ada saw a message notification.

Don't let his words get to you. Ada read the lines over and over until she felt a tad better.

"Since Luke is here," Maya inclined her head in his direction, "we might as well begin the process. We raised an official inquiry about an incident you oversaw some years back."

"Interesting. What's this inquiry about?" Luke asked. "And why are we doing this with those present?" He gestured at Ada and Haruto.

"Because the complaint has to do with them in some way," Maya said as she slid a file across the table screen to Luke.

After sliding past its pages, Luke closed the file. "How cheaply vindictive. Did you pick this up because I drew your notice to your inability to manage one of your cupids properly?"

Maya's left eyebrow twitched. "Far from that. I simply felt concerned when I learned about Haruto's treatment," she said. "You take pride in doing things by the book, but handled things differently regarding his case."

Luke released a disbelieving huff. "Spare me the lecture."

"One of your cupids was dropped, made to join the rifters and his wings were taken away. All these happened without due process. Remember checks and balances? We were never notified of this incident."

Tapping a finger on the table, Luke's gaze shifted to Haruto and lingered on his bowed head. "Due process? And if I had notified you, what would have changed? Assignments come first! Have you forgotten that cupids exist for humans and not the other way around? You don't know the weight—the drastic consequences of his foolish behaviour?"

"I wish to leave," Haruto said. His head was still bowed and his hands were trembling. "I need to attend to my assignment."

Ada moved to hold Haruto's hand, but he flinched away.

"There is a reason we called you here, Haruto." Tasha tapped at her virtual keyboard before swiping a file Haruto's way. "We are carrying out an official inquiry on your dismissal. You can read the details there."

"So, this is the decision you're sticking with." Luke chuckled. "Are you sure Haruto would want this? Where he is now is his rightful place. The business with his wings was an unfortunate but necessary move. Knowing his Rollick disposition, he would have continued to frequent my division. Rifters are banned from entering the Northern Division—a standard this division is incapable of maintaining."

Ripping off her left earbud, Bo glared at Luke. "Hey! Unlike Maya and Tasha, I am VERY vindictive, and I plan to pursue this matter to the very end. These rules you clutch like pearls, not allowing an inch but taking a mile, I'd stuff them down your throat until you choke on them. You wish to go low? I'd go so low we'll be swimming in Earth's core. Who gave you the right to get his wings removed? You mutilated him, you fool. What sort of Helmet are you? Spewing bullshit about assignments over cupids. What dumpster did you rummage through to find that cruel logic? You'd have to go through me before you touch one of our cupids, you wacko. You even dared to bring up Ada when—" Tasha flashed behind Bo and slapped a hand over her mouth.

"I'll lead Bo out to cool down." Tasha offered Luke a tight smile. "Excuse us." Ada had never seen Tasha force a smile. And Bo's reaction. Ada didn't know whether she should laugh or cry.

Tasha had just shut the door when Luke stood. His scowl had grown darker. "An inquiry is needless at this point. She said something about going low. Let's do that."

Haruto still wouldn't lift his head.

"I'll file for an official hearing," Luke said. "Let's get everything out in the open."

What? Ada's head grew woozy. Wasn't a hearing taking things too far? From the sparse knowledge she knew about it, there has been no hearing in both divisions in the past two hundred years.

Luke paused when he reached the door. "I visited because the Retired gave another prediction, and it had to do with this one."

Ada flinched when Luke pointed in her direction. "Huh?" What now?

"With the way things are advancing, we just might have a double hearing." Luke glanced at Maya, a flat expression replacing his scowl. "Sometimes, it's wiser to accept that some cupids are beyond saving," he said before vanishing.

After a brief silence, Haruto finally lifted his head and looked at Maya. "May I ask for a favour?"

"What is it?"

"Can... can you withdraw the inquiry?" Haruto asked. "I am a rifter now. What happened in the past is in the past."

"I'm sorry, Haruto," Maya said in a gentle voice. "It's too late."

"Oh... okay," Haruto said. "I'd take my leave then."

Too ashamed to reach for him, Ada watched Haruto go.

Blinking back tears, Ada returned her attention to Maya. "I've lost him." Her throat grew stuffy as she struggled against the urge to cry. "I didn't mean to..."

"Adarosa." Maya walked around the long conference table and drew Ada into a hug. "It's not your fault. Your intentions were good. Blame us; it looked like the right time with Luke and Haruto's coincidental visit. We thought we could kick-start the inquiry process. If Luke wasn't so stubborn, we would have been able to sort out the business with Haruto's wings."

"He hates me now," Ada whispered. How did things escalate to an actual hearing? She looked up at Maya's face. "Luke said something about me? It sounded scary. And the hearing..."

"Don't worry." Maya patted her head. "It's not your place to worry about these things. Focus on your assignment. We'll take care of everything, I promise."

"But—"

Maya lifted a brow.

"Fine," Ada croaked.

"And give Haruto some time. I don't think he hates you."

Ada wanted to argue but she bit her lips. Wiping her tears, she drew back. "Who would be Haruto's representative at the hearing since he is no longer a cupid?"

"Why do you ask?" Maya chuckled. "You wish to take that position?"

"What if I want to?"

Instead of answering, Maya led her past the door. "Rest and focus on your assignment. Haruto will be fine. You will be fine. Even Luke will be fine at the end of the day. Don't worry."

________________________________________________________________________________

Don't worry 🎶 About a thing  🎶 Cause every little thing...

Imagine Bo and Luke as a couple. Catastrophe.

Anyhoo, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 
Vote and comment. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24K 3.5K 41
~~~~(Mature)~~~~ "We're worlds apart..." "But I'm right here." "I'm far, farrrrrrrrrr far beneath your class..." "And so? I don't care." He shrugged...
80.1K 17.4K 50
"Didn't you just ask me to be your girlfriend?" I asked. He flashed a smile and replied, "Yes, I did!" "Then, what are you doing with that paper and...
274K 9.6K 48
#1 IN COMEDY-ROMANCE As soon as the door clicked, he removed his shoes and threw me on to the bed. Getting above me on all fours, he eyed me playfull...
19.8K 662 17
All you need to know is, if you love sex, A lot of sex and some more..... This is your book. If you love to learn pidgin..... This is the book. If yo...