A Wall Between

By overlordpotatoe

Eighteen year old Sasha isn't ready to live independently, but his parents didn't give him any choice. Too an... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56

Chapter 54

910 69 33
By overlordpotatoe

Mason and Ellie dedicated two full weeks of their lives to intensive house hunting, and then they heard through the local grapevine that a house on their street was about to go up for sale, and all other prospects were instantly forgotten. When they'd discovered that the house had a pool, Mason had immediately turned to Cooper and offered him a job as a pool boy, and then he'd gone and made an offer on the property.

Navigating the sale of Mason's old house and the move to the new one had been a whole ordeal, but fortunately Cooper's involvement in the whole thing was limited to helping Mason move in and reassemble his furniture.

The old owners of the house had left them a stock of pool chemicals and a list of very thorough instructions on how to use them, but Cooper and Mason had been sitting by the side of the pool for about half an hour trying to figure out what they needed to do. Sometimes the combined powers of their brains felt like two rocks they were hitting together in an attempt to make fire.

Cooper's phone binged, and he leapt at the opportunity to do anything that wasn't thinking. He reconsidered his enthusiasm when he saw 'mum' on the screen. She'd sent him a text message. Resigned, he opened it to find a candid picture of himself and Sasha at the wedding, sitting closely with their shoulders touching. Cooper was turned toward Sasha, a fond smile on his face.

I saw this picture and just wanted to tell you that you have a lovely smile! was the message Cooper's mother had left beneath the photo.

"Hm," Cooper found himself saying out loud.

"Hm?" echoed Mason, curious.

Cooper explained, "Before the whole childbirth adventure, I told mum she should text me when she had something, anything nice to say about me. She sent me this picture with a compliment about my smile. Mission accomplished, I guess."

"You know how there's a thing about compliments? How you should focus on things within someone's control rather than inherent physical traits, to avoid it being weird or creepy, or having HR get involved? Does that rule apply when it's your mom?"

Cooper considered this. "Well, I'm pretty sure she's not making a sexual advance, so there's that. I would've preferred a compliment on my personality or achievements, but a compliment is a compliment. We take those."

"Let's give her a C. Just barely a passing grade. Also, we should establish that this is a special school for challenged mothers, so the grading is a little generous."

Cooper laughed. "Okay, it wasn't that bad. I'm only being judgy about it at all because I don't expect to get another compliment from her any time soon."

"And that's fair. As a one and only compliment, it's undeniably mid."

Cooper sent back a quick, Thanks, mum! and saved the picture. It was a nice shot of himself and Sasha, if nothing else. Sasha was the one who really deserved credit for Cooper's smile.

Stuffing his phone back into his pocket, Cooper's focus shifted back to the task at hand. "Alright, let's figure out these chemicals..."

They stumbled through another quarter hour of confusion, their brows furrowed over cryptic instructions and mysterious pool chemicals. Eventually, their patience worn thin, Cooper enlisted the help of a pool-owning neighbour. The neighbour's explanations initially floated over Cooper's head like aimless clouds, but when the man began demonstrating the proper measures and techniques, everything clicked into place. What had seemed like an arcane science suddenly became laughably simple.

After everything was settled with the move, Cooper and Mason drove down to visit their baby niece for the first time since her birth. The last time Cooper had seen her, she was more idea than individual, but now, as she gazed up at him with clear, curious eyes, he could tell that she was really seeing him. He even got her to smile at him and they spent a while making noises at one another.

From then on, they visited Abigail and her parents every other weekend. Every time, Cooper expected Abigail to be the same as she had been last time he'd been her, but every time she had grown a little and gained some new skills. It felt too fast, like he barely had the chance to get to know this tiny human before she grew and changed again. A baby, he was coming to realise, was an extremely fleeting thing.

It was a warm November day, and they were all outside in the garden having lunch, Abigail content on the grass, babbling at the chickens under Bianca's watchful eye.

"So," Logan said as he clanked the ice around in his glass with his straw. "We found a new place."

"Oh, wow!' Cooper said. "Congratulations!"

Mason eyed Logan with suspicion. "Why did you say it like that? Like it's a source of trepidation?"

"No, it's a good thing," Logan insisted. "It's suburban, but it's got plenty of space. Enough room for pets and a great yard for Abby to play in as she grows."

"But..." Mason prompted.

"Well..." Logan took a deep breath in. "Okay, so, it's getting close to Christmas, and I was talking to mum, and we thought maybe we could do a family thing at the new place."

Mason's reaction was immediate and less than enthusiastic. "I'd rather hang myself, but go on."

Logan grimaced. "Of course you don't have to, but hear me out. We've been going to family therapy, and it seems to be helping. She's actually making an effort."

"Don't care."

"She's even gone out of her way to buy presents for everyone. That includes your housemates, Cooper," Logan added, trying to sweeten the pot.

Mason, however, was far from convinced, sinking further into his chair and crossing his arms defiantly. "Her history of gift-giving is so legendarily shit that I've learned to expect nothing. So, no, that doesn't tempt me."

"She consulted with me, and I made sure the gifts were something you'd actually appreciate. The whole point was to get you something meaningful."

"What could possibly top the sheer joy of not having to see my mother's face for another day?"

"She has something to tell the two of you, and I think you'll want to hear it in person."

Mason narrowed his eyes. "Are you clickbaiting me into spending time with my mother?"

Logan could only offer a half-hearted shrug. "Is it working?"

"I don't get why you're pushing for this so hard. Even you can't possibly enjoy her company that much."

Logan let out a deep sigh. "It's... complicated. I haven't talked about it because I didn't want to jinx it, but we've been doing the therapy twice a month and we've gotten pretty deep into things. Plus, she's constantly over to see Abigail and, believe it or not, she's great with her. She's going to be in Abigail's life, hopefully in a good way. We don't need to pretend everything's perfect, but it'd be nice if, as Abigail grows up, we could at least be in the same room without any dramas."

"You know what?" Mason said. "Fine. I'll show up. She can try to impress with her gifts and play nice. We'll see how it pans out. That way, it's out of the way before Abigail is old enough to understand what I'm saying so I can speak my mind. No way am I being put in a situation where mum's still shit but I have to hold my tongue because there's a kid listening."

"Deal," Logan said. "And you're right. She's had the therapy now and we've worked through some things. If you still don't feel like she's making a real effort to treat you right, then you shouldn't be around her. I believe in rehabilitation, but there's a limit for your own mental wellbeing. We're aiming for around a week before Christmas."

Cooper chimed in, "Ellie and Abra already planned to be up here with their family for the holidays, so the timing's good. I'll need to check with Sasha, though. Last time wasn't too bad, but Christmas can be hectic."

"It would be nice to have him over, but no pressure," Bianca said, sending a quick glance in Abigail's direction to make sure she wasn't putting any of the grass she was tearing up with her tiny fists in her mouth. "He should do what feels right for him."

Cooper smiled, "He's been wanting to meet Abby. Even if it doesn't work out for Christmas, we'll find another time. He loves seeing her photos."

"Well, he's welcome here any time," Logan said.

"It's just... Sasha tries not to make waves. He wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone by leaving early, even if he needs to."

Mason cracked a grin. "That's why he and I are such good buds. I'm upfront enough for both of us. He knows he doesn't have to dance around me with all that etiquette stuff."

Logan frowned. "I hope Sasha doesn't think we care about all of that. I mean, it's a part of the world I'm in and it's a game I'm good at, but family gatherings shouldn't be about that. They should be about feeling comfortable and happy."

"Yeah, well, tell that to mum," Mason retorted dryly.

"I have, actually," Logan replied. "It's been one of the things we've focussed on in therapy."

Mason could only respond with a dismissive, "Bleh," clearly unconvinced yet out of arguments.

"We'll iron out the details later," Logan said, his optimism undimmed. "I think it's going to be good for everyone."

Mason leaned back, arms crossed. "And I think it won't be. I'm overwhelmingly unenthusiastic to find out who's right."

#

Cooper walked in to find Sasha immersed in a world of icing and biscuits at the kitchen counter, meticulously crafting treats for a children's party they were catering. Sasha's concentration was palpable, his tongue peeking out in a silent testament to his focus. As he finished with one biscuit, his gaze lifted, meeting Cooper's with a warm, welcoming smile.

Without a word, Cooper wrapped Sasha in a warm embrace from behind, a silent hello after a day apart. Circling to Sasha's side, he watched the precision and care with which Sasha added a raspberry gummy to the biscuit's centre, the final touch on his edible masterpiece. "How was the baby?"

"She's good," Cooper said. "It's crazy how much of a little person she is now. She does stuff! It's so cool. What are you doing?"

Sasha swept his hand across to indicate the biscuits in front of him and then murmured a word that wasn't quite 'decorating'. Sometimes he did that when he felt like something was self-explanatory. He didn't always mind talking about nothing in particular for no reason, but it was always on his terms. It was a burden he often rejected when someone else placed it on him.

"They don't need to be perfect," Sasha said, his focus returning to the biscuits as he adorned another with vibrant blue icing. "Abra's going for the classic children's party aesthetic—lots of colours, nothing too fancy. He wants to do a really nice cake, though, so he went to get some stuff for that. Do you want to help biscuits decorating?"

Cooper smiled at his phrasing. Sometimes he'd just kind of cram his words together in a way that got the point across. Cooper suspected this was why he often seemed to struggle more with speaking around people he was less comfortable with. It took more effort for him to phrase everything correctly.

"Sure," Cooper replied, reaching for an icing tube. "By the way, Logan and Bianca have finally settled on a new place."

"Oh, good! They wanted to move before Abigail started walking, right?"

"Yeah. It seemed like that would be ages away, but she's growing so fast. Could be another year before she starts waddling around, but it also could only be another few months. Some babies get there faster than others, and she's always been a tenacious little thing."

Sasha nodded. "Such a big little baby."

"Right?" Cooper said, smiling as he spread icing across his biscuit. "Anyway, they're throwing a sort of housewarming slash Christmas party. But it's going to be a family affair, so..."

Sasha's hand stilled, the hint of a frown forming. "Your mum will be there?"

"Yeah," Cooper said, punctuating the word by placing a chocolate freckle in the centre of his biscuit. "And Logan says they've been doing family therapy and she's really trying now, so, you know... maybe? Mason has zero faith in her, but he agreed to go so that if she fucks it up, there'll be no more debate in the future. I don't know how much I believe she's changed, but I do hope she has. And, of course, you're invited. Abra and Ellie too. But no worries if you'd rather not. Your comfort's what matters here."

"I will go because I need to protect you from your mother."

Cooper smiled. "Going to fight her for me, are you?"

"No, I'll just look at her disapprovingly if she's mean. It's very powerful."

"I mean, that would crush me, so I guess you're right," Cooper said as he distributed green icing over half of his biscuit.

"Ooh," Sasha said, leaning in to admire Cooper's work as he picked up the tube of blue icing and began decorating the other half of his biscuit. "Very creative. I like it."

Cooper flashed a grin. "Thank you. Anyway, apparently she has gifts for everyone, including you, so we'll see how that goes. Logan thinks she's actually put thought into it."

"Hmm," Sasha said. "What would a person who doesn't know me at all get me as a gift? Interesting. I hope it's another train set. Me and Mason could start a club."

"Sadly, she's a very proper woman. Toys for adults probably don't fit her bill."

"Then I hope it's a... hm..." Sasha chewed at his lip as he stared up at the ceiling in thought. "A vase," he decided. "I don't know your mother very well, but I feel like she's the type of woman who would have good taste in vases. That's my headcanon for her."

"A vase, huh?" Cooper raised an eyebrow, amused by the specificity. "Can't say I've ever taken inventory of her vase collection. Do you want a vase?"

Sasha nodded. "Yeah, actually. Ellie and I found these wildflowers—or weeds, but they were bright yellow and we liked them. We ended up sticking them in a drinking glass because that's all we had. So... we need a vase."

"I'm not sure my mother would have intuited that about you, but we can cross our fingers and hope, I guess."

Sasha crossed the fingers on both of his hands. "I hope, I hope."

Watching Sasha, Cooper couldn't help but laugh, a warm feeling spreading through him. He mentally added 'finding the perfect vase' to his Christmas shopping list.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229K 6.5K 43
Blaine. A peculiar boy with white hair. Every part of his body is covered with scars and signs of abuse. Depressed and suicidal, he cuts to escape t...
1.8K 67 5
Dylan and his little sister, Layla, recently had to move to a new house due to their Dad's new job, which means a new school which means new friends...
214K 8.5K 21
[COMPLETED] Everyone wants what Pembroke has, good looks, fortune, and fame. But Pembroke feels like he's missing out on something; he has a hard tim...
932K 45.6K 29
When Charlie gets away from his drug dealing father and is sent to live with his grandparents, things aren't suddenly okay. Charlie's broken. He's no...