Research: Romance

By Melpomene16

๐–๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ž๐ซ, ๐‹๐ž๐š๐ก ๐€๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง, ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฌ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ง๐ž๐ฑ๐ญ ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ... More

prologue
interview
in-convenience
darlin'
finally
leap
meeting
phone call
wallpaper
plot
the study
a horrific idea
sweet dreams
ghost
plans
proximity
the four pt.1
the four pt.2
double trouble
shrink
IOU
note
faking it
history
coffee
creepy-crawleys
motel
one bed
morning
urgency
manic monday
sobered
home
holiday
road trip
dinner & dessert
friday i'm in love
take me out
the line

amusement park

162 7 23
By Melpomene16

Robin and I meet at the entrance of the amusement park on Tuesday at 10 am. Right on schedule.

After our heart-to-heart conversation on Friday night, Robin and I ended up falling asleep on the couch talking. We woke up a few hours later, on Saturday morning, with sore backs and dark circles under our eyes from staying up. Still, despite his usual grumpiness in the morning, the first thing we did was smile at one another from opposite ends of the couch. 

I snuck him out the best I could without being seen, and the rest of the weekend was spent trying to get myself back on track for the week. Hence, standing in front of two massive green gates leading into the park.  Our next trope: Amusement Park. 

Screams of joy and fear mixed in the air as roller coasters whooshed and turned deep in the park. There were sounds of kids and adults talking alike, with delicious food smells floating across the air. It was getting too cold to stay open now, so this was the last week the amusement park would be open for the season. Which was a lucky break, because I didn't even think about how the weather would affect that trope when I thought of it.  

"Hello, Leah." Robin grins at me, as he steps up to the gate. I hand him his ticket before he can move to the ticket line and he frowns at me, "You know, you don't have to pay for everything." 

"I don't mind," I shrug, with a smile, "Besides, it's a company card. Desi lets me use it for book expenses for tax reasons or something like that." 

He shakes his head, looking at the ticket in his hand like it's some kind of rare and delicate flower. He's wearing another hoodie, but this time, he's also got a blue beanie tugged over his head and ears. I've never seen Robin in a beanie, and the effect it produces on me could only be described as "unbelievably adorable."

He looked so cute. I almost wanted to reach over and tug it over his eyes before running away, like a little kid trying to flirt. Then again... When wasn't I the embodiment of a little kid trying to flirt with Robin? At least now I could mentally admit it. 

"Ah, so Desi's buying? Remind me to thank her." He retorts, tucking the ticket between his teeth, and then reaching into his hoodie pocket. When he pulls his hand out there's another beanie in his hand. 

Before I can ask why he's brought two, he stretches the white fabric between his fingers and pulls it over my head. When it's secure over my ears, he tucks a few strands of hair back under the fabric and smooths it out. 

Robin removes the ticket from between his teeth, "Just in case. For the wind." 

Then he smiles at me upside down, "Shall we?" 

It is hard to pretend... It's hard not to like him sometimes. 

I nod, and once our tickets are punched, we walk through the gates and into the amusement park. 

We start off small doing our favorite rides first, and enjoying the snack foods as we walk around. It's a lovely day, with bright blue sky and only a little chill in the air when the breeze crosses the air. Our cheeks and the tips of our noses get pink, but it only adds to the thrill of the activity. Sunshine dapples in the trees and pools in the main walk, warming us as we go. 

Although I knew that we were technically researching a trope, there was a stronger sense of enjoyment between the two of us that told me today wasn't about the book. He was different from before. His gaze was more open, more... attentive in the way he would try and catch my eye. Each time it made my heart skip a beat, but I did my best not to respond to it. 

After walking around for a few hours, I had to get us back on track.  Pointing up to the roller coaster, I grin, "Alright, let's get down to business. Time for research." 

He looks up at it, then narrows his eyes, "Hmm... are we sure we want to do this one?" 

"What's wrong with this one?" 

"Nothing," Robin shrugs, casually, "It's just that everyone goes on the roller coaster. We should do something for the book that's going to be new. I mean it's a book about..." 

As he says this, his eyes snag on something behind me and he grins, "Let's do that!

Raising my eyebrows, I turn around and see there's a bungee swing. My heart leaps into my throat, and lands like an elephant at the bottom of my stomach. Two people are dropped off the platform, soaring through the air as they scream loudly. They plummet in an arch, swinging and bouncing at the bottom before swinging backward and forward again. 

The corn dogs we ate earlier start barking. If you know what I mean. 

"That?" I can hear the shake in my voice, as each scream quakes like tremors in my skeleton. 

Robin is looking at it like it's a tower of ice-cream and he has the only spoon, "That." 

"No." I shake my head, staring at it in complete dread. "I can't. I mean... I can't. I'm." 

I start backing away, as if the ride is a rabid animal about to attack me. My eyes trail all the way up to the platform and I feel like the world tilts underneath me. "That's really high up there." 

"You're scared of heights?" 

"I'm not scared of heights," I manage to tear my eyes away from the ride to level a stern look at Robin, "I mean, I'm not scared of them when it comes to roller coasters or moving objects. Planes, elevators, and stuff. I'm fine when I'm moving it's..." 

"Dropping?" He guesses, and I can tell he is tracking my eyes as they watch the next set of people drop. 

A cold sweat breaks out on my neck, "I went base jumping once." 

He laughs like I've told a joke, but when our eyes meet, he's surprised, "Oh, wow. So then, this should be a piece of cake!" 

I think back to when I burst into tears, strapped to the instructor at the top of a building. Just jump! Just go! I had screamed at him, my body trembling. Even the instructor had insisted I back out if I was that scared, but I couldn't. I had a book to write, and I wanted to know what it felt like. However, while some say facing your fears helps you overcome them, my fear of heights got worse after that day. 

Turns out plummeting off a building does not encourage a lot of security when it comes to facing a biological fear of falling from great heights. It does, however, make for some very vivid nightmares. 

When I return from my flashback, Robin is watching me with a peculiar look. I examine him for a moment, then clear my throat, "You aren't budging on this, are you?" 

He smiles a little, "If you go with me, I promise I won't let anything bad happen to you." 

I narrow my eyes skeptically, "Oh, yeah? What if we die?" 

He laughs at my tone, and tucks me under his arm, "Then I'll make sure I die first by breaking the fall... to increase your chances of survival." 

This does nothing to comfort me, but I let him walk us closer to the ride. Every step feels like a nail being hammered into my coffin. I can see it, the two of us dropping through the air and the cord snapping, or the cord being too long, and the two of us smashing into the pavement like bugs on a windshield. 

"Besides," Robin thinks for a moment. When he looks over at me, those hazel eyes are dancing, "Aren't you a little curious what it would be like?" 

"Dying? No. I think I'll leave the mystery, and my head, intact on that one." 

He grins at me like we're about to be in on the same joke. "Come on, Leah, tap into your sense of romance." 

When I still don't get it, he twinkles those eyes at me, "How many people can say they've literally fallen in the name of love?"

----

By the time we reach the top of the landing, my knees feel like jelly, and I'm seconds from hyperventilating. Robin, who was all smiles and chuckles on the way up, now looks a little uneasy as well. However, his unease pales in comparison to the green that is working its way through my complexion. 

We stand in line, waiting inside this transparent box area as they lead the next couple of riders out. On one section, riders are hoisted out to the center of the drop before a rider pulls the rip cord and sends them both soaring through the air. On the other section is the bungee jump where people are willingly jumping off to swing. That's the one we're doing. Naturally, Robin wouldn't even give me the courtesy of just dropping.

"Are you doing, okay?" He whispers, his hand taking mine only to find it clammy with sweat. I met his question with my most fuming look. A look that says why did I let you talk me into this?

He rolls his lips into his mouth in understanding. 

I don't respond; I just continue glaring at him like my eyes will somehow have enough strength to incinerate his brain. When he can't take my glaring anymore, he clears his throat and smirks at me a bit, "I take it you're not staring in admiration of me?" 

Despite my best efforts, I snort, and it makes me feel a little better. He knows it too because we both start smiling. The next couple goes, and it's only a pair of sisters before our turn. The older one looks like she's about to throw up and the younger reminds me of Tom Cruise the way she's grinning from ear to ear. 

Meanwhile, my heart is racing, and I feel like I'm about to start crying. Everything starts to swim, and my lungs struggle to draw breath. More sweat pours out of my palms and starts to trickle down my back. I fight to keep from throwing up, just out of pure anticipation. 

Squeezing Robin's hand, I take a shaky breath, "You can't leave me." Then I whisper before I can think better of it. "I mean it Robin; you have to be there the whole time. You can't pass out, you can't bow out, you must be with me the whole time. I can't do this any other way." 

He hears me and squeezes my hand back. We watched the couple drop, " Don't worry, I will be with you the whole time." 

"Vow." I respond demandingly. 

"What?" 

"Vow. Swear on your life." 

He laughs, but when he sees I'm perfectly serious, Robin squeezes my hand again and says seriously, "I vow on my life that I will be with you the whole time we fall. You won't be alone so long as I'm there." 

Nodding, I force my eyes to close. It does nothing to stop the trembling in my bones and the nausea climbing up my throat. Just when I think I might pass out, one of the girls in front of us nearly does.  The older girl swoons and is caught by the attendant, who sets her down against the wall. Her sister rushes to her. 

"I can't do it." The oldest cries, covering her face, "I'm sorry, I just can't. I can't do it." 

The girl sitting before her looks incredibly disappointed. She pats her sister's leg reassuringly. Kenna smiles, and it's so understanding that I feel my own heart breaking at such a kind action. She passes her eyes over the drop, and there's a sense of reluctance in her words, "It's okay. I'll walk you down." 

"No!" Kenna's sister shakes her head, "You have to go! You've waited all year to go. I can walk down and wait at the bottom. Can I wait for her at the bottom?" 

This second half is said to the attendant who nods, but then he frowns at Kenna, "How old are you?" 

Kenna knows where this is going because she's already hanging her head, "I'm seventeen. Today's my birthday." 

He feels bad when he says it, but the attendant is forced to shake his head, "I'm sorry, minors can't ride alone. You'll both have to go down." 

Tears brim Kenna's eyes, but she nods, "Come on, Reese. Let's go." 

Before I realize it, I'm gripping the railing and stepping forward, "I'll go with her." 

Everyone stops to look at me in astonishment. Even my own mouth is gaping after making such an offer. But when I see the hope sweeping through Kenna's eyes, I know I can't take it back now. 

"I mean, if it's okay with you. I--I can take you instead. I've done a jump like this before." I stutter awkwardly, looking at the two sisters. 

"Leah," Robin steps forward, glancing at me uneasily, "Are you sure?" 

"It's her birthday." I force a smile at him, though it's wobbly, "If you let me go with her first, I'll go with you again. I promise." 

Something crosses his face, and Robin almost looks like he's been punched in the stomach or had the wind knocked from him. I feel bad to disappoint, but when I look back at Kenna, she's already wiping her tears. Excitement is filling her expression, and her eyes are gleaming. 

I gestured to her, "I know what it feels like to miss out on an experience you really want. I will go with you if it's okay?" 

Her sister looks relieved, and although I don't know Kenna at all, she hugs me tight, "Thank you! Thank you so much!" 

When I check with Robin again, he's looking at me in a way I have never seen him look at me before. For a moment I thought he was disappointed in me for abandoning him, but he isn't. The look in his eyes is much deeper and there's something about it that makes me think I'm braver than I give myself credit for. That he has a way of bringing it out in me. 

It also made me think: Robin's about to kiss me in front of all these people. 

For a moment... I believed it. I also believe I would let him. 

Robin just nods after a moment, and then looks at the older sister, "I can walk you down? We can wait for them together at the bottom." 

Both sisters look immensely pleased at this and I smile at him proudly. Robin helps the older sister stand and as I watch him walk away, all my sense of safety going with him, I must repeat to myself: Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry. 

Just before they disappear, Robin glances back at me with that same look. I don't have time to do anything but watch him go before Kenna smiles at me, as we get strapped into the gear. 

 I offer her my best reassuring smile back. "Ready?" 

"Ready." She laughs, and shakes her head, "What's your name again?" 

"Leah," I respond watching the attendant secure the last strap. "I'm Leah." 

Kenna hugged me again and I hugged her back. We stay like that for the fall. "Thank you, Leah." 

Before I know it, the attendant gives us the okay and Kenna jumps. We scream our heads off the whole way down, and I let a long string of cuss words fall from my mouth.  Soon we're laughing harder than I have ever laughed in my life. 

----

Hello lovelies!

Okay, we are back on track for the tropes!! I know this chapter is a bit of a filler/ bridge chapter, but it is super important and sets us up for what happens next *eyebrow wiggling* which involves a certain holiday and a road trip hehehe

Still, I feel unsure about it so it could change if it keeps me up at night ahah! 

Anyway! I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the story! Thank you all so much for your support. Research: Romance is almost at 2,000 reads!! My gratitude is unending <3

Please vote, comment, and share if you are enjoying! I will see you for the next chapter :>

I love you all, 

e.g.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.1K 824 13
(Rewriting) Tired of reading same old cliche teen romance where the good girls falls for the bad boys and the bad boys falls for the good girls? And...
3.6K 665 51
A dystopian young adult novel involving romance, secret experiments on human subjects, and a group of teenagers' will to survive. Reader Comments: "...
25.4K 530 18
R-rated, for mature audiences! So, where do I start? My name is Elizabeth. I'm 26 and I'm bored as f*ck. You could think I have a perfect life. My h...
1.1M 45.7K 74
Rated No.1 #matureaudience #separation #maturelanguage #contractmarriage #loveforever #funnyromance#chicklit || ๐‘ฏ๐’† ๐’‡๐’†๐’๐’ ๐’‡๐’Š๐’“๐’”๐’• ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’• ๐’”๐’‰๏ฟฝ...