Research: Romance

Da Melpomene16

๐–๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ข๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ž๐ซ, ๐‹๐ž๐š๐ก ๐€๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง, ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฌ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ง๐ž๐ฑ๐ญ ๐›๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ... Altro

prologue
interview
in-convenience
darlin'
finally
leap
meeting
phone call
wallpaper
plot
the study
a horrific idea
sweet dreams
ghost
plans
proximity
the four pt.1
the four pt.2
double trouble
shrink
IOU
note
faking it
history
coffee
motel
one bed
morning
urgency
manic monday
sobered
home
amusement park
holiday
road trip
dinner & dessert
friday i'm in love
take me out
the line

creepy-crawleys

196 8 10
Da Melpomene16

Before I could set my chapter's on Desi's desk, Maizy called. She "cordially requested" that I come over for a tour of the studio. Which was manipulator talk for: "I told you I'd be checking up on you. Refuse me and I'll seek revenge for hiring Robin behind my back and this." 

My plan was to fake sudden food poisoning and have Desi call her to cancel. However, Henry noted that I should be mature and that it would be important to "make nice" with Maizy and as many film people as possible before production begins. I promptly took this and said if it was of that much importance then he wouldn't mind coming along and doing most of the "nice" making as my very mature PR agent. That earned me a dirty look...and his company on my way over to the studio.

We end up walking around the studio for hours, meeting with executives, writers, and producers. There are multiple movies being directed at once, including one that is under the strict supervision of Maizy and "a very dear friend" as she so cryptically put it. Rolling up on the set my blood runs cold. Henry flashes a knowing look at me, and nods slowly.

We knew this was coming. He tells me with his eyes. I've got you.

Other than the sparse number of technical staff working on the set, the room is mostly empty. The lights are dim and there are four spotlights hanging over the backdrop of a teenage girl's bedroom. Letters scratched in crimson blood drip down the wall. It's eerie to look at such an empty space that should be teeming with people, like walking into an abandoned department store. One gets the feeling that something bad is about to happen... Whatever Maizy had up her sleeve wasn't the jump scare we were expecting.

Maizy guides us to a woman standing at the edge of the set, flipping through a set of pages in her hand. Her long curly hair is chestnut brown, but under the stage lights you can see the sheen of red undertones. Full lips pursed in thought, she shakes her head and speaks to one of the crew members, "We need to reset."

The voice is eerily familiar. Clearer and less breathy than her daughters, Antiona Crawley turns to look at us the minute Maizy calls out to her. Her large brown eyes, clearly the blueprint for Delynn's, widen in joy at seeing Maizy and she grins. It lights up her face in a way that makes her enigmatic features absolutely radiant.

And there's the hidden motive. I grumble to myself, looking at Maizy slantwise as she grins at Antonia. Her arm is slung through mine, tightening ever so slightly as if she expects me to bolt.  Maizy let's her gaze drift over to me, and the corner of her mouth curls up in a secretive smirk. 

She is ruthless. I try not to narrow my eyes at her as my mind screams: I know (most of) the truth now you psycho!  Whatever manipulation you have in store, won't work.

"Maizy!" Antonia leaves the movie set to meet Maizy halfway. Her eyes caught on me for a moment before turning back to her friend, trace notes of her accent make every word sound melodic, "I thought you were remodeling today? Don't tell me you've given up already?"

Maizy shakes her head, "I have someone I want you to meet--" As she says this, she waves her hand over toward me and Henry. "Antonia Crawley, let me introduce Emilia Aplin and her PR agent, Henry Lockwood. As you know, they are contracted for a book adaptation in January with me, and I was hoping you could show them the basics of what's to come."

There was no need to introduce Antonia to us. Everyone knew exactly who she was just by name. Horror movies had seen a boom since she started directing films, and there was no question as to why. Her last movie, the one with Delynn and Robin, was a box office hit and won several accolades before it was even out of theaters. 

Antonia Crawley was one of the rare individuals with absolute genius for scaring the bejeezus out of people. Which... wasn't a very promising sentiment now that Henry and I were being offered up to her for an afternoon. 

Henry extends his hand out warmly, saving everyone else the embarrassment of having to do it first. Antonia shakes it with a soft smile, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Lockwood."

Then she turns toward me, and the corners of her eyes narrow just slightly when she offers me her hand. I'm not sure what to make of it when she tilts her head slightly, as if appraising me, "Miss Aplin, I've been eager to meet you."

I compel myself to smile despite the anxiety-induced shivers trickling down my back... then again, that might be sweat. It's suddenly quite stifling in here.

Before there's a chance to return her greeting, Antiona drops her hand and gestures to follow her "Let's get started."

"Wonderful!" Maizy interjects, then takes a step back. "Why don't you two go on without us. I just remembered; I have some business matters to discuss with Mr. Lockwood."

Everyone stops, surprised by this. Henry is surprised because Maizy had hardly looked his way this whole tour and now, they had sudden business to attend to. I'm surprised that Maizy would dare to let me out of her sight given the situation is on the precipice of becoming tv drama material. Here I was, the writer researching a romance book with the man who was in a scandal with Antonia's daughter... and Maizy was just going to walk off? 

Hmm... I hear Desi's voice in my head. I don't like it.

Henry lifts his eyebrow at Maizy, then glances at me. Not seeing the harm of me being further from Maizy's clutches, I shrug my shoulder at him, "I'll meet up with you later?"

He instructs me to meet him at Maizy's office when I'm done, then Henry follows Maizy back the way we came. Antonia takes me in the opposite direction.

--
Hallways lead off in all directions once we're at the next building. Antonia glances over at me with a little smile, "This place will conclude our tour."

I nod happily, looking forward to being off my feet soon after hours of walking around. The studio was gigantic, taking up multiple blocks, and we had walked most of it in the span of two hours. For a woman in her mid-fifties, Antonia could hold a brisk pace and wasn't attentive of water breaks. Meanwhile, my throat was parched, and I had been trying to mask the fact that I was out of breath for the last fifteen minutes when we took a hill back toward the buildings we started at. 

If I learned one thing today it was this: Golf carts are a valued commodity on movie sets. Find one and seize it!

We arrive a few minutes later at a door that has her name on it. Antonia opens it with her key, "Come on in."

Entering, she gestures to a plush couch against the wall. I fall into the seat obediently, observing my surroundings reservedly as I rub the cramp threatening to twist in my calf. Antonia moves to a desk where she detaches her walkie-talkie from her belt and turns it off. Then she moves to a mini fridge and pulls out two bottles of water. I receive mine with thanks when she offers it to me.

"Is this your...dressing room?" I ask, noting all the movie posters with Delynn on them and the director's chair folded up in the corner. There's a movie poster of Robin's latest film hanging on the wall behind me, I spot it briefly in the mirror across the room before moving my eyes away. 

"I guess you could call it that." Antonia replies, looking around as if she's also never been here. "It's more like a breakroom or a transportable office." 

"You're probably wondering why we are here, right?" She says, watching me fidget with the wrapper on my bottle. When her eyes meet mine, they narrow again, but in this lighting it doesn't look appraising. It looks approving.

My smile is nervous, wobbling at the corners little when I joke, "Because you saw me burst into tears on that last hill and took pity on me?"

"Well, that," Antonia laughs genuinely. Then she comes to sit beside me on the couch, "and because I wanted to speak to you, in private."

She looked around the room and a sly grin crept over her lips, "This studio is a haunted house... coffee gets mysteriously spilled on scripts, props go missing, doors slam during important takes, and there's a constant feeling that someone is spying all the time. Especially when they shouldn't."

There's something about the way she pointedly glances in the direction of Maizy's office that puts me immediately at ease and I laugh. Antonia watches me relax and grins, "Ah, see. Now you understand me, Emilia."

I nod but keep any definite agreement under control. "Writers always appreciate a metaphor." 

"Writers and directors have that in common, then." She hums and makes herself more comfortable on the couch. Facing me, Antonia pats her heart, "First, let me address something personal. My daughter told me what happened at the party when she went to drop off her gift."

"Oh. Yes... I'm sorry."  I say, not sure what it is exactly I'm apologizing for other than having seen her daughter in discomfort and not being able to do anything about it. Dropping my chin, I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. The memory of Delynn sneaking behind the office door makes my heart sink but it's Robin's words that play in my head: She let me down... We aren't, we never were...The whole truth is half hers.

"I would like to thank you." She emphasizes the words and tilts my chin back up with her finger. When my eyes meet hers again, she lifts her eyebrows as if it's imperative I understand. Antonia nods her head slightly, "She said you were put in an uncomfortable position but acted with kindness. I'm grateful."

I sat stunned. Of all the things I expected Antonia--for Delynn-- to say, this was not one of them. Then again, who was I to expect Delynn to say anything about me? I figured she would have forgotten me the minute she saw Robin or when she left. In the scheme of things, and despite what Maizy seemed to think, I held no standing in their private dealings. My lips part and I feel my face scrunch up, which makes Antonia hum a little laugh.

But when she pushes her hair over her shoulder, Antonia's eyebrows draw in to form a more serious expression. She inhales sharply, "Unfortunately, I now ask you to show that same kindness once again. For I am about to do something that may be a bit uncomfortable."

I set down my water bottle and gave her my full attention.

"I know it's tact-less to ask this so early on in our acquaintance," She pauses, thinking for a moment before saying, "But will you let me direct your book's movie? I will make it an absolute success, I promise."

At first, I felt relief at such an innocent request, but it turned rapidly. Intuition twists my stomach hard, almost knocking the wind from me. Leave. Now. 

"No..." I whisper without thinking, growing aware of the feeling Antonia mentioned before. The walls seem to lean in, waiting for my response. The longer I ignore the pit in my stomach, the more nauseous I grow, but I press on. There was something she wasn't saying, I could see it in the way she looked at me. 

Her eyes widened in shock at my response, and I shook my head. "Sorry, I meant to say, 'I know.' Everything you do is a success! Of course, the adaptation would be no different."  I force a laugh and watch Antonia relax into an understanding smile. 

Steadying myself, I attempt to lighten my tone, "I'm honored! I'm just surprised. You want to direct a romance movie?" 

Or are the "eyes and ears" of the studio forcing you into it as a way of keeping me under control?  I swallow hard and force my face to rest in a blank but polite expression.

She nods once, offering another smile but this one doesn't quite make it to her eyes, "Maizy shared the premise with me and it sounds like a perfect segway into something different. She told me how you are putting in special research and I know it would benefit..."

I tense at the words "special research" feeling the unease of my stomach climb into my shoulders. Antonia drifts off mid-sentence. Her eyes scan me, and the way she watches my face makes me freeze. It's as if I am a script, sitting right before her, and she's pulling out every hidden detail. Her eyes narrow again, and Antonia sits back.  

"What am I doing?" She whispers dejectedly, and mostly to herself.

Just then the door flies open, and another figure is movie into the room with two bags in each hand, "Mama, come eat. I got--"

Delynn stops, eyes widening to find me sitting on her mother's couch. I'm not sure what to do, so I wave my hand. 

Her eyes trace over to her mothers, and It's as if I disappear from the room, "So?"

 Antonia shakes her head in reply. 

Delynn glances my way again, then bursts into a torrent of Spanish. She speaks to her mother quickly, shaking her head and gesturing with her hands despite them being full. Antonia replies calmly and assertively, continuously gesturing between us. I watch awkwardly, resorting to counting the lines on my palm before Delynn clears her throat.

Looking up, I met her eyes. They're stronger than the first time I've seen her. More resolute and commanding this time. Her body is still frail and waifish though, and there are circles under her eyes. It usually adds to her "haunting" image on screen, but in person she just looks weary.

"It's not what you think." Delynn says, watching me carefully. "I ask you to reconsider." 

"Not what I think?" I asked, hesitantly. My mind was already spinning a million miles an hour, it was hard to track where the conversation began and ended.

Delynn heaves a sigh, looking irritated, "I'm not doing this to hurt him, or you, I owe him. Okay?  This is the only way I know how to repay him for what he did." 

"Both of us." Antonia interjects sternly. "We both owe him. And we would be in debt to you if you did this for us..."  

Debts? Repayment? I'm not sure how to navigate that information. In fact, I have no idea how to navigate any of this, so I sit there staring at them uncomfortably. "I don't know what's happening right now, but that seems like something you should discuss with--

"I've tried." Delynn intrudes, already seeing where I was going. 

"That's why I went to the party, but he wouldn't look at me let alone speak to me. You saw the way he--" Her voice fractures and she closed her eyes before taking a deep breath, "Look, regardless of what I say to him, you are the one in charge of the book and it's adaptation, so you are the one who needs to agree to this. Robin would just shut me down, so he can't know until the papers are signed. Neither can Maizy."

I examine Antonia accusingly as I piece it all together.

 Despite nearly making me sign my career away, she shows no remorse. This meeting alone was enough for Maizy to write me off in every column. "Do you realize how insane that would be? She owns the rights to the movie! She could destroy everything you've both worked for." 

"She won't," Antonia argues, "I make her more money than anyone else here. Maizy Barker lives for the bottom line; it won't matter what we do if she gets paid in information or money. I would give her both." 

"And Robin? What will happen to him?  You say you want to help, to repay him, and yet you would trick him into working under you against his will?" I look between them with disgust, and this time both show a small semblance of guilt. It only angers me further, "He's contracted to act in the movie. It wouldn't be right--"

"I know! " Delynn cuts me off again, her voice is commanding as it is desperate. "I know the risks. But it's all I have." She huffs, "I know he's probably told you everything, and you probably hate me, but I'm begging you, Leah. Please. Agree to this."

Lies and secrets. Secrets and lies. How did I become the epicenter of all this!?  My heart starts palpitating and I find it difficult to draw a full breath. My limbs feel shaky and flush with a chill. 

It was time I put my foot down. Not for Robin's sake, this time, but for my own.

"No." I answer decisively, shaking my head.

As Antonia deflates, Delynn echoes me in painful disappointment, "No?"

"I don't want any part of this." Standing up from the couch, I lift my palms up between us as I back away, "I know you just want to help, and I'm sorry. But I don't lie, and I don't like secrets."

Delynn tries to protest, holding out her hands to stop me, but my anger burns too fiercely at her to be delicate. She, of all people, should know what happens to people who are swept up into a situation they want no part in.

"And Robin didn't tell me everything. He protected your side of the story. So, I suggest you think long and hard about what you truly know before trying something like this again." Glaring at her pointedly, I seethe, "And if you want my advice, the best way to repay him is by listening when he says to leave him alone!

Before they can say anything else I excuse myself from the dressing room, walking down the hall as fast as I can.

---

Hello my lovelies!

Whew, well that got a bit hairy, didn't it? Poor Leah can't seem to get away from these people and their scandalous (and tbh poor) choices. But don't worry, there are some good things coming! In fact, ... a special trope is up next, and I know it's one you've all been waiting for *wiggles eyebrows*

Here's a hint, it involves... two people and one itty-bitty little bed.heheh :>

But! Before we get there, what do you think about Antonia and Delynn? Are they honest about their intentions or is this just another one of Maizy's tests? It's hard to tell with her--she's so shifty! Something tells me there's more to the story than just a well-timed paparazzi photo.

Regardless, I'm proud of Leah for standing up for herself. If I kept getting roped into something I didn't want to be in, I would hope I'd show the same gumption. Hopefully, we can start putting this scandal buisness behind us and get to the love stuff? Huh?... I mean, it could happen, right?

;) Patience young grasshoppers, love will come in time.

Speaking of LOVE. Thank you so much 1000 reads! I am so grateful. :,D

Today's chapter is dedicated to one of those very supporters: TinyZebraThing

Thank you again so much for taking a chance on my story! I am so thankful <3

With that, I'll see you next time!

love,

e.g.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerร  anche

31.1K 824 13
(Rewriting) Tired of reading same old cliche teen romance where the good girls falls for the bad boys and the bad boys falls for the good girls? And...
6.1K 1.7K 25
At age 26, Lavender doesn't have anything she wants. She has a crappy job, a crappy family and an even crappier boss. But one thing in her life is pe...
1.1M 45.7K 74
Rated No.1 #matureaudience #separation #maturelanguage #contractmarriage #loveforever #funnyromance#chicklit || ๐‘ฏ๐’† ๐’‡๐’†๐’๐’ ๐’‡๐’Š๐’“๐’”๐’• ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’• ๐’”๐’‰๏ฟฝ...
2.5M 84.5K 37
Tutoring the Bad Boy. ~~ He smirked. "Whoops! Look who has read 50 Shades of Grey. Trust me getting kinky is almost every guys dream. I knew you had...