My Best Friend's Brother

Galing kay edgarallenyo

"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so lo... Higit pa

My Best Friend's Brother
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 5

65 1 0
Galing kay edgarallenyo

"What does one wear to a football game?" I asked Connie through the phone rummaging through my bags. "Just wear something athletic. If you don't have anything you can borrow from me or Susanna."

"I wish you would've told me. I would've come later just to avoid this." I groaned pacing around the Bed & Breakfast room I was staying in. "Oh, come on." She chuckled. "All you have to do is come cheer for the team."

Throwing on a pair of leggings and a tee shirt before throwing my long wavy hair in a high ponytail. Driving towards my old high school where people began to set up for the game and vendors organized their booths of popcorn and candy.

"Beth! Over here!" Connie yelled from in front of the bleachers. "This is for you. Just to show your Sunnyfield spirit." She handed me a yellow tee shirt of our high school football team's logo and mascot.

"Fine, but I'm not wearing one of those foam fingers." I pressed, making Molly laugh as Kieth, Dave and Alex walked over. "Hey, Bethany. Come to see us kick butt?" Alex smiled, cracking his knuckles.

"Thought I'd see what I was missing." I replied. It wasn't often that I went to one of Aaron and his friends' football games. Just whenever Connie bribed and pleaded for me to join her. And at the time I used it as an excuse to see Aaron.

Ten years later and still nothing changed.

"Is Aaron going to play with you guys?" I asked Connie nonchalantly as everyone looked at one another. I frowned watching their demeanor change as they grew quiet.

"Maybe." She smiled weakly. "I'll get the popcorn!" Molly exclaimed excitedly.

Throwing on the matching t-shirt Connie gave me, noticing the bleachers quickly began to fill. Hearing a whistle blow loudly beside me made me practically jump out of my skin.

"Bethany! You're back In Sunnyfield?" Peter, Aaron's father walked up to me. "Mr. Russel?" I laughed surprised. "My, God! How long has it been?" He reached out of a tight hug.

"I don't think I've seen you since high school graduation." I smiled weakly. "Woah, look at you. It's so good to see you." Aaron's father expressed genuinely. "You too, sir."

"Betty at a football game? Do my eyes deceive me?" Aaron's voice said behind me, startling me. Turning to face him as he smiled walking over to me.

Now I was able to see him under the bright sun in the light of day. His features had barely changed since the last time I saw him. Aaron grew a 5 o'clock shadow and his wispy dark blonde hair was covered by a baseball cap.

"Yes, I am. I'm a changed woman. I'm quite fond of sports." I said nervously trying not to stare at him for too long. "Oh?" He asked inquisitively, making me nod.

Aaron grinned showing off his attractive smile lines. "Definitely. And beer and clubbing and... pilates." I lied, making him look down at me full of amusement.

"Pilates, huh?" He asked, seeing right through my nerves. Internally groaning at how much of a nervous wreck I still was around him. "I'm an L.A gal now. Through and through." I internally scolded myself for lying my butt off to them.

"Well, see about that." Aaron said with a small smile. "Leave Beth alone, son. This is why she hasn't come to visit us." Peter said making Aaron roll his eyes.

"I, uh, have to say I'm surprised you two lost touch. You three used to be so close." Peter continued making me look away in guilt. Aaron rubbed the back of his neck as we stood in awkward silence.

"I always thought maybe you two would've ended up together." He continued with a grin before walking away to sit down up on the bleachers. "Dad!" Aaron scolded turning around as his father walked away with a wave. "Sorry about that."

"It's okay. I missed hearing his blunt opinions. It's comforting to see he hasn't changed." I confessed. "Yeah, you two were always similar in that way." Aaron laughed as I couldn't help but stare up at him in awe as the sun illuminated his golden brown eyes.

"Besides can you imagine? Us?" I laughed never tearing my eyes away from his. "Absolutely not." Aaron scoffed looking out onto the field. Turning my head away ignoring the ache in my chest.

"We used to tear each other to shreds just in the few minutes we were together. Could you imagine us alone?" He continued. "I think hell would freeze over before we ever got together. I don't think we're physically capable of being civil to one another." I continued unable to look him in the eye.

Aaron smiled weakly as I tried to study his masked emotions written on his godly features. "Aaron, stop flirting! We're not waiting all day!" The coach roared as all the other guys ran to the field.

"Is that Coach Travis? He hasn't retired?" I asked in complete shock, watching our previous school football coach huddle with the players. He looked much older with less hair and a bigger beer belly than the last time I remembered him.

"Nope. Still alive and kicking. I'm convinced all the terrorizing he does gives him immortality." He said, making me laugh. "Wish me luck." Arron smirked before running out onto the field.

"I got you your favorite, kettle corn." Connie said as I sat next to her, Susanna and Molly. Trying to push through all of the eager townspeople sitting on the edge of their seats.

Watching Aaron on the field as they all huddled around with their coach. Throwing kettle corn in my mouth getting lost in Aaron's features and muscular physique. "Bethany? Hi, I-I doubt you remember me." Someone suddenly came up to sit beside me.

"Hi, Becca. Of course, I do. You were in my Biology class." I smiled as her face lit up. "Yes! I-I was just wondering if I could get your autograph." She hesitantly handed me the first book of my victorian romance series.

"Of course." I put my bag of kettle corn on my lap as I dusted off my fingers to grab her book and pen. "I just absolutely adore how you wrote Byron's character. The love he has for Eloise. How infatuated they are with one another. You wrote them beautifully." Becca gushed, making me smile sweetly.

"Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That means a lot." I handed back her autographed book that I dedicated to her. "It really makes me hopeful to someday have a love like that. What was your inspiration?" Becca asked as her eyes never left me waiting for my explanation.

"Uh... I-" I hesitated as my eyes wandered to Aaron talking to Dave out on the field. Jumping at the sound of the whistle blowing again initiating the game. "Oh, forgive me! I'll bother you some other time." She beamed over the loud chatter realizing the game started.

Watching Aaron in the distance passing the ball to Dave and his other old teammates. Getting flashbacks from when we were teenagers watching him practice in his front yard the days I stayed over at their house.

Jumping as people occasionally yelled and stood up from the bleachers enthusiastically. Catching me off guard not really knowing what was happening as I clapped along. "Who's winning?" I asked, leaning into Connie's ear.

"We're 13-5." She smiled, making me hum in reply. "Wooh! That's right! I own you, I own you!" Alex beamed to Aaron after he made a touchdown. Aaron blew him off shoving his shoulder weakly to get him out of his face.

"Let's go, Aaron!" Connie cheered. "Let's go! Hut -Hut!" Aaron clapped his hands. I was more infatuated with Aaron than the actual game itself.

The way Aaron moved and how precise he was. He was extremely talented as he dodged everyone's blows and attempts to tackle him trying to throw the ball to Dave and other teammates. I didn't know the game well enough to know what was actually going on.

Suddenly Alex snuck up on Aaron as he caught the ball colliding into him. Alex picked him up, throwing him to the ground.

"Oh, gosh. That's gotta hurt." Molly said as everyone stayed still. I stood covering my mouth as all the air got sucked out of my chest unable to breathe. One of the other players grabbed the ball from him. "Why isn't he getting up?" I asked, watching him struggle to stand as his teammates began to circle him.

Pushing through the people running down onto the field without a second thought. "Aaron?!" I yelled out as he held his knee. Dave helped him on his feet as Aaron smiled weakly over at me. "Worried about little ol' me, Betty?" He groaned in pain as I struggled to come up with an explanation.

"Y-Yeah, well I worry when you fall down and don't get up right away. And you wonder why I never enjoyed these things." I replied frustrated as he chuckled amused at my concern for him.

"You need to sit out for the rest of the game." Dave insisted. I began to grow worried about how injured he was since Aaron has always been able to take a beating on the field in the past. But maybe with age that's also changed.

"What about the game?" I followed them as Dave helped him to a seat on the sidelines. "Well, Betty. Since you're a changed woman who takes pilates, I'm sure you won't have any problem filling in for me." Aaron smiled up at me.

"W-Wait, what?" I stuttered. "No." I scoffed as he tossed me a velcro belt. "You take pilates?" Dave asked, making Aaron chuckle.

"You're serious? I-I don't know how to play." I laughed nervously looking around at the crowds waiting for the game to conclude. "You're a smart girl. You'll be able to figure it out." He replied.

Connie, Susanna and Molly were up on the bleachers chatting looking down at me curiously. "Why so I can get tackled too?" I asked trying to hide my worry but failing.

"I'll make sure no one touches you. Just go have fun. There's only a few minutes left on the clock." Aaron said, making me scoff. "Come on, L.A." He grinned. God, that smile hasn't changed a day.

"And Dave will watch you. Won't you?" He continued glaring up at him. "I'll guard you with my life." He smiled hesitantly, making me give a heavy sigh. "Fine." I groaned.

Reluctantly following Dave as I put on the velcro belt with flags stuck to it. "Bethany? The girls are that way." Alex said, making the guys laugh as I glared at him.

"I'm not so sure about that. I'm looking at one right now." I responded making all the guys laugh and extended "oh's".

The coach walked up to us as Dave explained our situation. "Beth? The girl who took ten minutes to complete a mile. Are you sure?" Coach Travis asked me as the guys snickered.

"Hey, don't be so quick to judge. She's a changed woman." Dave quoted as I rolled my eyes.

"Alright, whatever. Dave you're quarterback and Beth you're on defense. Just... stay out of the way." He said before blowing the whistle in my ear as they all instantly fanned away from the huddle.

I should never have come back here.

But there was a sliver of truth behind what I said, I was more athletic than I used to be.

When I started dating my ex boyfriend he insisted I tagged along with him to the gym and his daily morning jogs. It was something we eventually bonded over and used as our quality time together.

When we broke up I then used it as a way to cope instead of moping around my house eating all the ice cream I could get my hands on and rewatching Dirty Dancing days on end. Which in all honesty I did do at first.

"I expect a clean game! I don't want to see that again Alex!" The coach yelled as they all got into formation. "Don't worry we won't hurt you, sweetheart." Alex smirked, tossing the football. "Funny, I was going to say the same to you." I replied as all the other guys laughed again.

Not knowing where to go, Dave pointed behind Keith as we all faced each other. "If you happen to catch the ball, go that way." Dave explained loosely pointing into the distance.

I squatted down slightly, copying everyone else. My heart raced not knowing what to expect. The whistle blew as they all instantly crashed into one another fighting and following the football.

I listened to Coach Travis and stayed off in the background as they all tackled and fought for the football. Suddenly Dave caught the ball and threw it my way. "Wait, no." I shook my head as Dave threw the ball desperately and with wide eyes. "W-What now?" I muttered as I unexpectedly caught it. 

Holding it like a foreign object and wide eyes as everyone turned to me surprised. "Run!" Dave yelled. "Run, Betty!" Aaron cheered as Alex and the rest of his team charged towards me. Suddenly filling with adrenaline I ran with the ball and swerved around and between them.

"Woo! Go Bethany!" "Go, go, go!" I heard cheering and whistling from the bleachers as I ran into the direction Dave pointed to earlier. Feeling Alex and everyone else creeping up behind me before I made it to the end of the field making everyone go crazy.

They all stopped charging towards me as Dave and the rest of his team cheered and jumped up and down. "Did I do it right?" I asked Aaron as he limped over to me.

"Yes." He laughed. "You did great." Aaron smiled in bewilderment. I was about to reply when suddenly Dave and Kieth grabbed and lifted my legs placing me on their shoulders.

Yelping in surprise made Aaron laugh as everyone began to chant my name. Feeling uneasy with all of the attention from my classmates and townspeople who before now acted as though I didn't exist.

"You've always made that look hard." I teased as the crowd died down and thinned out. "You had the element of surprise. No one knew you had that in you." Aaron retorted.

"I told you I'm a changed woman." I stood tall with a smug smile before Connie, Molly and Susanna ran up to me. "Beth?! What was that?" Connie beamed running up to us.

They all continued to gush over what I did even though I really didn't understand the big deal. But I let it go. We all drove to Duke's Bar & Grill to continue the celebration.

"Bethany! I heard the news. Drinks are on the house!" Duke handed me a glass of beer as we all sat down. "Hey, what about me? I'm injured." Aaron yelled across the bar as he sat across from me with an ice pack resting on his knee.

"How's your knee?" I asked Aaron as everyone laughed and talked around us. "Fine. Nothing I've haven't handled before." He blew it off before Alex came up behind him, slapping his shoulder.

"Sorry about that, man. You remember how it gets when you're in the zone." Alex said, looking down at him as he sat with his leg extended. "Don't worry about it." Aaron replied before Alex was called away.

"Do you not play anymore?" I asked him as he adjusted in his seat. He avoided looking at me for a moment, making me frown. "A lot has changed, Betty. Clearly you know." Aaron smiled motioning to me.

On the contrary. My life and appearance may have changed drastically but I was still that young, shy teenage girl still completely in love with her childhood crush. I knew I needed to confide in someone about the deep feelings I've been keeping to myself for more than twenty years or I would eventually go crazy. If I hadn't already.

I just hummed in reply not wanting to talk about how I'm still that girl everyone remembers. Tossing a french fry in my mouth as someone walked up to our table.

"Hey, baby." A tall blonde woman purred as she strut up to him. Aaron looked up at her with a smile, grabbing the side of her face as the beautiful woman leaned in for a kiss.

I stared at them feeling as though someone sucker punched my stomach as my heart sank. Freezing as I watched them kiss until I quickly averted my gaze feeling uncomfortable.

"Tara, this is my friend, Bethany." Aaron introduced us once they finally stopped. "Oh, right! I saw you at the game. Thanks for taking his place. We can't afford letting anything else happen to him." She cooed kissing his cheek.

"Y-Yeah, it was fun. They always made it look harder." I joked trying not to make it obvious how much stress I was under. Tara sat down beside him pulling an empty chair from nearby. Aaron slid his arm around her shoulders and pulled her in tight making take a sip of beer.

"I've never seen you like that before. Who knew Beth could run like that?" Renee laughed at the other end of the table. "Did you go to school with Aaron too?" Tara asked, making me look at him.

Ignoring the ache I felt as I answered. "Yeah. I'm just friends with his sister."

"Oh, gosh, I would've loved to have met you back then. Go to all your games and wear your letterman jacket around school. I bet we'd be the 'it' couple." Tara giggled, leaning into him. I think I'm going to barf.

"Was he as devilishly handsome then as he is now?" Tara asked, catching me off guard practically choking on my food. Aaron and Tara furrowed their eyebrows as I smiled while swallowing. How do I even answer that?

Aaron and I's eyes met as they waited for me to reply. Getting flashbacks of watching Aaron flaunt his newest fling down the school halls, bragging about how popular and easy it was to get any girl he wanted. And he did. He dated practically every girl in school.

And it seems that same egotistical, narcissistic, self absorbed teenager still sat before me a whole decade later.

"Absolutely nothing has changed."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

869 1 21
Choosing her cost me everything I'd ever loved... including her. I had everything a guy could ask for, a loving family, the perfect small-town life...
307 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
456K 13.3K 37
𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙍 π™Žπ™„π™‰π˜Ύπ™€ Harven Aller stole her soccer ball as children, Emery has sworn to hate him. Now, as petty as that sounds, He never apologized. H...
371 22 18
[Excerpt] I looked at the eyes of my lover, so beautiful, so bright. A tear dropped from those pretty eyes and rolled down my lover's face. We both a...