That Stupid Little Waiter

By Sakumira-Agashi

"Chasing petty romances isn't the end-all be-all in life." Vincent was not a man who could easily be swindled... More

Chapter 1 - Raining Thoughts
Chapter 2 - Thunderbolts on Your Shoulders
Chapter 3 - Sour Candy
Chapter 5 - Shadow of the Night, Shadow in My Mind
Chapter 6 - Rain in Your Eyes
Chapter 7 - Silent Cries of the Night
Chapter 8 - Crimson Craving
Chapter 9 - Whistles of Your Heart
Chapter 10 - Sunkissed Lovers
Chapter 11 - Stardust in Our Steps
Chapter 12 - The Spring Admist the Winter Breeze
Chapter 13 - Same Heart, Same Mind

Chapter 4 - Lemon on Your Lips

490 10 46
By Sakumira-Agashi

Rody wouldn't consider himself an extrovert, at least not the typical person people often thought about when they talked about an extrovert. Actively seeking out to talk to people wasn't something he was known for doing. But something he was known for doing was to always finding an opportunity to spend time with his girlfriend Manon. Whether it was at the park, with a meal at restaurant he could barely afford with his minimum wage paycheck, or just lounging on his couch watching TV, in his apartment that would exclusively be cleaned when a visit from her was anticipated. It was not an option to let her see the undone laundry scattered across the floor, the leftover takeout on the kitchen counter and the unfolded clothes just almost spilling out of his closet. What would she think of him, an unfit partner unworthy of her attention? Rody couldn't let that happen. She was his everything, he fully had every intention to sweep her off her feet and he couldn't let her slip away from his life. Not like this.

They were on a break, or from how he would like to perceive it, she was giving him an opportunity to prove his worth and his ability to take care of her in the future. Even though Rody had yet an idea of what she was unsatisfied with, he knew he had to get his shit together. No matter what it may be that she wanted him to change, he knew he had to do something, and he figured it would all start with a job, or moreover, better-paying job. A bigger payment would mean he could afford better things for her, such as an expensive necklace to compliment her pretty face, a beautiful dress for her to don while out and about, a nicer apartment for her to visit, or even a house for them to spend their future together. If only he had stayed in college...

But that didn't matter, it wasn't too late to start job hunting now, although it had proven to be a bit more difficult than he had anticipated. Finding a job wasn't the issue per se-he had survived on minimum wage salary on his own and still would have enough to buy a little gift for Manon by the end of the month-the real problem was finding a well-paid job as a college drop-out. Either the job gave high salary but required advanced education, or it didn't but only paid minimum wage or a little more. So, after a long time of searching, his feet took him to La Gueule de Saturne, the world-renowned restaurant that had still been the talk of the town ever since its road to fame not too long ago, with exquisite cuisines made by the most qualified chefs out there, and its uniqueness of having a different menu per day.

He knew he'd stick out like a sore thumb here, from the fancy front, the... questionable rich folks decor, to the fact he was not at all familiar with the world of fine dining. Technically he didn't even have the credentials to apply for a job here, but he thought, maybe they weren't that important for a waiter and that he could hope they would let it slide. Still, there was a high chance he wouldn't get accepted, but it was better getting rejected knowing that you tried, rather than not trying. And hey, he went out of his way to whip out his white collared shirt that had been collecting dust in his closet just for this occasion. Usually he reserved it for date nights with Manon in high-end establishments. His hair, he could've done a better job at it, but oh well, the interviewer probably wouldn't notice it anyway, right?

What Rody didn't expect, however, was seeing Vincent sitting there in the office, the Vincent Charbonneau, the familiar face that had popped up on the newspapers plenty of times, and the person who would regularly be mentioned in the banter of the ladies he would hear in passing on the streets. It absolutely caught Rody off-guard-he was expecting a manager of some sort to interview him, not the actual owner himself. It totally wasn't his relaxed yet professional posture, his tall slender figure, his dexterous fingers elegantly flipping the newspaper in his hands, his sharp jawline, his perfect neat hair and his gorgeous dark eyes that seemed to sparkle under the dim light like a starry night.

No, definitely not that.

How the interview went was a blur, he didn't remember the exact details of it, probably because his brain had blocked it out in an attempt to not remind about the stress he felt during those short minutes. The only tiny bits he managed to recall was him practically pleading to get the job, and Vincent's stare on him. He wouldn't describe it as "intense", but there was just something about it that still stuck to Rody now. He could feel like he was being judged, probably from his lack of qualification and lack of care to his looks, but it wasn't just that, and it could honestly drive him crazy trying to figure out what it was-

Ring ring ring...

The sound of the telephone snapped him out of his thoughts. How long had he been here, he did not know, but it had been a habit of his ever since Manon initiated the break. They had not talked for a week and more, so now, he suddenly didn't have anything to do anymore. So, every day in the past week, at the usual time they would talk on the phone together, he would sit there on the couch, stare at the telephone, and wait, and wait, and wait... He wasn't really sure what use it would serve, but it also didn't hurt to anticipate her call. Besides, if he wasn't spacing out to wait for her to call, then what else would he be doing? The only thing he would look forward to every day after work was talking to her on the phone or going on a date with her.

Hopefully, it was Manon who was on the other side of the phone right now and his effort had paid off.

"Hi, hello? Manon, is that you-?"

There was a long silence between him and optimistically Manon, it wasn't until a good few moments before he heard a male voice from the other side.

"Pardon?"

"Oh, Vince-"

A small part of Rody died on the inside. He wasn't sure whether to be sad, disappointed, mad or embarrassed. Perhaps it was a combination of both.

There was also a hint of surprise in his emotions. His boss Vincent was the last person he would expect to call him, especially not at this hour.

"Sorry about that, I thought-" Rody scrambled to explain his undeniably desperate voice but all the words were stuck on the tip of his tongue, so he just let out a sigh. "Nevermind, what's up?"

"Are you free tonight?"

"Uh-"

It took a while for Rody to truly process Vincent's question, and panic began to run down his body. That could arguably be the worst question to ever ask someone out of nowhere, especially if they were your boss. What did he mean, "are you free tonight"? That could open up to so many possibilities. And it was way past business hour, what could Vincent possibly ask from him at this time of the day? While he was tempted to lie from the anxiety about what Vincent was thinking about, a part of him was curious. Or, perhaps it was an unexpected late shift and he could be paid extra that way, but another part of him said it was unlikely.

There was also another possibility based on Vincent's treatment towards him this week, but truth be told, Rody just wasn't daring enough to go anywhere near that. If people would consider Vincent the danger zone (although some didn't mean it as a bad thing), then the idea just popped up in Rody's mind was the nuclear weapon zone and he should leave it the fuck alone.

Before Rody could give his answer, Vincent jumped in and saved the day.

"I'm hosting a dinner party at my apartment and was checking if you'd be available."

Rody let out an audible sigh of relief. Vincent was an asshole sometimes, but thank goodness he at least wasn't those people who asked if you were free and refused to tell you what their intention was until they got an answer. Having confirmed that it was, in fact, not the nuclear weapon zone Rody had in mind, Rody chuckled, feeling a huge weight lifted off his shoulders.

"Oh-That's what you meant"-Right as he was feeling relieved, another realization hit him-"Wait, you're inviting me?"

"Is that a yes or no?"

Rody gulped. Countless thoughts ran through his mind, what could Vincent be wanting him at his dinner party for, if not as a guest? Well, only one way to find out. Plus, he genuinely had nothing to do tonight and he doubted Manon would be calling while he was gone. If so, he could always call back, but he didn't have high hope for it today.

"I-Well-Sure? But why so sudden-"

"Be there in the next few minutes."

Click.

As quickly as Vincent called, he hung up, leaving Rody there mid-sentence. After a few moments of silence, Rody begrudgingly slammed the phone down.

"Couldn't even let me get a word in."

Be there in the next few minutes, huh, Rody looked at the clock, sighing. Even outside work, Vincent still liked to be in a hurry. Guess your daily life could translate to your work style in a way, at least with him.

While Rody could hop on his bike and started speed-cycling there right now, he thought he should at least eat something before he went, just in case. His mom used to tell him to never leave the house with an empty stomach, and he had followed her words since. Opening the fridge that was rarely stocked with fresh grocery, his eyes landed on the brightest-colored item in it-a slice of fresh lemon tart.

Rody's eyes narrowed at it, not because he was wincing from the thought of lemons, but because of the situation he was in when he received this piece of tart just a few hours ago, as a matter of fact. It was at the end of the shift and everyone was getting ready to close up for the day, including Rody. After having wiped down the last table, he picked up the dishes and proceeded to bring them into the kitchen, as he had been doing these past few days.

"Oh, Rody, I assume that's the last one for today?" Vincent said when Rody came in, pushing open the doors with his shoulders.

"Yup!" Rody replied enthusiastically.

"You seem oddly fine for someone who had just got done cleaning an entire restaurant." Vincent crossed his arms, his eyes scanning Rody up and down. "Remember, if I see a single speck of food out there-"

"Y-Yes, chef, I-I've cleaned everything from top to bottom!" Rody's voice shook, failing to hide the panic in his voice upon seeing the look Vincent gave me for a split second there. "I-I promise if everything isn't clean, I-Uh-"

In the midst of Rody's flustered stammering, he wasn't able to notice the corner of Vincent's lips ever so slightly twitching and slowly morphing into his signature shit-eating grin.

"God, it's so easy to fuck with you." Vincent let out a big huff. "You should see the look on your face right now. Of course I have an actual janitor, did you think I'd trust you with the hygiene of this place?"

There was a deadpan look on Rody's face as Vincent could barely hold back his laughter. Oh how the table had turned. "W-Well, you're my boss. Obviously, I'd take your words seriously!"

"Okay, okay-" Vincent steadily recollected himself, returning to his usual up-straight, proper posture. "Wait here, I have something for you."

Vincent dashed up the stairs up, presumably to his apartment, and before long, he had returned with a small box in his hand and extended towards Rody, signaling him to take it, which he did. Rody couldn't help looking in and found... a piece of lemon tart?

"Eh-?"

"What, you don't know what it was? I thought you'd know since you mentioned it when I told you I liked lemons."

"No, just..."

Rody struggled to speak, his words tip-toeing on the tip of his tongue, and right away, Vincent caught what it was that Rody may be experiencing.

"Why are you surprised?" Vincent tilted his head in curiosity. "I always give you something at the end of the day, don't I?"

"I-Well-" Rody scratched the back of his head. "Yes, but-Why?"

Vincent raised his eyebrow at him. "What do you mean, why?"

"Um-" Rody he averted his gaze, trying to figure out how to best phrase his sentence. "I appreciate it, just-Why? Why me? You don't normally just-give out free food to your employees, do you?"

His question seemed to have catch Vincent off-guard, from the way he went quiet and stared into the distance. In fact, Rody even had a feeling even he didn't have the answer to that from the look on his face. Vincent was not an expressive man, not by a long shot. Reading his expressions had proven to be a difficult task, Rody would know as he had tried and had failed, multiple times. His true emotions were as secretive as whatever thoughts he may be having in that pretty head of his. However, right now, it was clear as day, the perplexed feelings visible in those deep dark eyes of his. It was as though he was questioning it himself-why, of all people, Rody was the one receiving free meals every day, meals that would've amounted to hundreds of dollar if you were to dine at this restaurant.

"I'm a chef, Rody." Vincent cleared his throat and gave his answer after what seemed like an eternity. "Cooking is my passion, and I'm always seeking to refine my craftsmanship. Why does this restaurant only serve one menu every day? Because I don't wish to distract my attention from the harmony of courses in an attempt to have a 'variety'. However, I've not stopped looking for a way to introduce new recipes and dishes to the list, so I like to test things out in my own kitchen. The food you've been given are simply the products of said tests, because I'm unable to finish it all on my own, if at all due to my lack of taste, and I dislike wasting food."

Rody just gave a blank stare, to Vincent, then at the box, then at Vincent again before speaking. "So, basically a fancy way to say I'm your guinea pig."

The response he got was huff of laughter from Vincent, probably because he wasn't expecting it. "Pretty much. Well, are you still taking it or not?"

"Depends. Did you put anything strange in it?"

Rody threw a cheeky smile at Vincent and received an even cheekier grin back. "Rody, no, how could I? Because killing anyone else would've benefitted me more."

"Damn it." Rody groaned under his breath. What he was not aware of was, while he was trying so hard to get Vincent with his jokes, he had already done so with many of his nonchalant questions, and he did it all unintentionally. Looking at the beautifully decorated slice of tart, he let out a small chuckle. "Well, I guess if you did want to poison me, I would've been dead by now, and it would be all worth it."

As quickly as the grin was getting wider on Vincent's lips, it faded and was instead replaced by a very concerned look. "What-could you possibly mean by that?"

"I remember reading about how your cooking isn't 'made with love', and no offense Vince, I can kinda see where they were coming from. But"- Rody looked up at Vincent and gave him a smile. But it wasn't a playful smirk, or a half smile to mask his annoyance. A true, genuine smile-"That's not entirely true. Sure, it's not-how do I say this-'in your face', but I could see it's there. It's subtle, and you know, I think with more care, you could totally change those critics' mind."

Rody's eyes could be messing with him, but he swore he saw a light shade of pink painting those usually pale cheeks of Vincent, who then turned away with his hands over his mouth as though it was an attempt to hide the blush slowly creeping up his face.

"D-Don't try to flatter me, you're still not getting a raise!"

Rody wasn't unsure if he had a death wish, or if he was even aware he had a death wish, but before his mind could stop him, his legs had already take one step forward. With his body slightly leaning closer to Vincent, he shot a mischievous look up Vincent and teased the man who was already having a hard time making eye contact with him, when he usually would be the one to menacingly stare at you from afar when he caught you slacking at your job. "The only thing I'm looking to raise here is the assurance that you can, in fact, cook with love."

Vincent snapped his head back to give Rody the biggest look of astonishment ever. He didn't even look this stunned when Rody told him he had no credentials whatsoever but still hoped to get hired. To be truthful, Rody didn't even think Vincent could be shocked by anything, really. With a perpetually monochrome look on his face, it was as if nothing could ever faze this man. Not negative reviews, not the worst insult you could conjure up, not getting screamed at by an unsatisfied customer, not getting slapped in the face by said customer, not even the end of the world itself, yet somehow Rody's simple compliment was the thing that broke him?

"G-Go the fuck home! You're clearly tired from the nonsense you're saying!"

Those flustered words of Vincent as he walked up the stairs to his apartment rung in his head as Rody took the piece of lemon tart out of his fridge, a small smile of endearment making its way up to his lips. Rody had been here for less than a week, but he already made a reputation for himself, fortunately not for being horrendous of his job, but for being, to quote the chefs there, "boss's little boyfriend". Actually, now that he thought about it, he wondered if it was probably better to be known for being bad at his job.

During lunch breaks and when Vincent wasn't there, they all had the same thing to tell him-that Vincent was the very antonym to the word "forgiving" himself-as well as many tales where if they had been Rody, it would've gone a lot better. Vincent's special treatment towards Rody definitely had not gone unnoticed. Well, "special" was a stretch, but it was certainly unique based on how strict he was with everyone else. Despite Rody's protest, they all would insist that he and Vincent must've been in a secret relationship, and some even teased that whether Rody was actually "working" there, and that he didn't actually just move in with Vincent so he "hired" him to not make it look suspicious when a random guy was just walking in and out of the restaurant.

Sure, it must be nice to be in a relationship with a young and charismatic world-renowned chef who owned a big famous restaurant, but Rody would never forget about Manon, his dear Manon, the one and only woman he was fight for and would fight for.

Plus he wouldn't be at this restaurant for long, anyway.

Speaking of, he had better scoffed down this piece of tart real quick, and also maybe the left-over slice of pizza from yesterday as well, so he could get to Vincent's apartment for the dinner party. Vincent was not a man who liked waiting, after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 74 12
Rody Lamoree works at Vincent Charbonneau's bistro, La gueule de saturne as a waiter. He discovers the unholy things Vincent has done, creating a rif...
7K 265 16
A Dead Plate fanfic (which needs to be more on here in my opinion) of Vincent and Rody slowly getting closer together then maybe even becoming more...
1.4K 43 8
This fic is a continuation of ending one: Table for one. Rody goes back to work at the Bistro, because well he needs the job, to fix up his place (an...
240K 6.3K 52
L U C I F E R' S L O V E Lucifer has never known love. He's been beaten all his life. Told that he's worthless, but one day he escapes his abuse. He...