Worst Cupid Ever

Por Precious_Nkem

Genevieve had a crush on her boss. Yes, HAD. After witnessing how much of a cold, dead-on-the-inside grinch h... Más

Yep...
He Is Not That Awesome
Invisible
You Must Love Raymond
Going Down The Drain
There's Something In The Cake
Deal?
Shouldn't Have Done That
Your Tears Are Infectious
Show Me His Picture
This is Embarrassing But...
He's Kinda Like Me
Just Do It
Characters
Can I Say The L-Word?
Mama Bear
The Childish Contract
Sweet Tooth Boss
Bellamy and Jules
Personal Paparazzi
Losing Daylight
You Need To Chill
An Insane Deal
Haruto's Decision
Teacher's Favourite
Haruto's Request
Raymond and Jane
Howaboutwedate?
I'll Help You
Tell Me More
Let's Go
Go Lower
Hug Me
Butterfly
Crazy Zapping Love
Don't Do It
I Regret Nothing
Run
Haruto's Trial (1)

This Is Bad

98 14 5
Por Precious_Nkem

Genevieve's heart dropped to her belly before bursting into a thousand butterflies. "Oh." She blinked at Ray, noting the seriousness in his eyes. He wasn't joking. He really wasn't joking.

"Be my girlfriend, Genevieve," Ray repeated as he took her hand in his and wove their fingers. Never in all her past relationships had her body reacted with such intensity to simply holding hands. Suddenly, she felt so hot. He was hot; everything was hot.

"I've shocked you to silence." There was a chuckle in Ray's voice, his smooth baritone rolling over her like a soothing wave.

It was happening again, this sudden shyness. Genevieve averted her gaze and shrugged. "Sure, I'll be your girlfriend."

Ray touched her chin, urging Genevieve to face him. "At least look me in the eye when you say that."

Genevieve still couldn't look at him. But this silly excitement she was feeling... She bit the corner of her lip as she struggled to stop a smile from appearing. The Batman boss asked me to be his girlfriend, and I said yes. Inner romance-obsessed Genevieve did excited cartwheels.

"Hey." When Ray swept a thumb over the back of her hand, Genevieve dragged her gaze up to meet his. He leaned closer, the muted scent of his cologne cranking up her anticipation to an even higher degree. "Say it." His focus dropped to her lips before lazily travelling back up.

"Say what?" Genevieve clenched her fist to keep herself from grabbing Ray by his shirt and pulling him in for a kiss. His proximity was beginning to cause Genevieve a factory shutdown.

"Say you'll be my girlfriend while looking at me." There was an anticipatory light in his eyes and that teasing smile.

"F-fine. I'll be your girlfriend."

"Good," Ray mumbled. Leaning forward, he brushed his lips against hers. Once. Twice. "You're my girl now," he whispered.

"Mhmm." Genevieve's belly spasmed at the contact, her heart doing a double as she gripped his shoulder and bunched his shirt. His lips were warm and firm against hers, and when he cradled the side of her face, she leaned into his kiss. He pulled her closer and swept his tongue over hers.

Their breaths mingled as Genevieve looped her arms around Ray's shoulders, surrendering to the moment—wishing it wouldn't end.

Breaking the kiss, Ray dragged his nose down her neck and drew a deep breath. "You smell divine."

Genevieve chuckled in response, still caught in a haze of excitement and disbelief. When he pressed a kiss on her neck, a shiver stopped her chuckle.

Ray drew back and swept his nose against hers. "It's almost 11 pm. We have a flight to catch tomorrow, don't we?"

Inner horny Genevieve shook her fist in disagreement. "Yeah," she said instead.

There was a new spark in Ray's eyes, and it suited him. As much as his broody personality intrigued her, Genevieve preferred this version of Ray. He felt more down-to-earth and... alive.

When she got to her bedroom door, she said good night first and rushed inside before she attempted something stupid.

Collapsing on her bed, Genevieve squealed into her pillow. Her emotions were a jumble of excitement, misgiving, even more excitement, curiosity, and disbelief.

Where was Ada?

Unable to sleep, Genevieve grabbed her phone and walked to the balcony. Maria picked on the second ring. She sounded groggy.

"Did I wake you?"

Maria yawned. "And if you did, what should I do? I know you're dying to tell me something. Go ahead."

"Ray asked me to be his girlfriend, and I said yes."

"You're joking?" Maria's voice rose a notch, all traces of sleep gone. "Raymond Dominic is your boyfriend."

"Yup."

Maria laughed the loud belly kind that forced Genevieve to pull the phone from her ear. "I told you, didn't I? I have an eye for couples. I'm a freakin' cupid, yo! Ha."

Genevieve laughed. Maria sounded even more excited than she did.

"It's going to be wild at the office. I'll be watching you guys with binoculars."

"You weirdo." Genevieve laughed again. Maria was the absolute worst and best all at once.

"Must you go to that IDP camp? Just come back already, jor. I miss you."

"I have to see Chima. I told you why."

"Would I sound like the devil if I told you not to see him? That dude has some screws loose."

Genevieve shook her head. "Don't say that. I planned to stay for three days but cut it to one. After I see him and give relief materials, I'll bounce. Happy?" And Maria wouldn't understand. Chima wasn't always a daredevil.

Maria paused for a moment before speaking. "Viv, I think that guy is in love with you."

Genevieve made a face and swatted Maria's ridiculous comment. "Nah. Maybe when I was eighteen, not now. We dated and it was a disaster." They didn't even last up to three months. And if he loved her as Maria claimed, he would have listened to her and stopped risking his life across the globe.

"Denial is strong with this one." Maria sighed. "Anyway," excitement returned to her voice, "tell me how it went. How did he ask you?"

***

Ada tried to see her division with new eyes even as Haruto darted about the garden, oohing and ahhing at Bo's unique statues and the general layout. When they landed some minutes back, it had been exciting to watch Haruto take in the main building with wide eyes and a slack jaw.

"Woah! It's bigger than the Northern Division. And the architecture." He gawked at the Colosseum-styled building before whipping out his logger thingy and taking a selfie of both of them in front of the Division. Ada obliged with a big grin, even though guilt nibbled at her conscience. How would she get him to see the Helmets without sounding sneaky?

Though it was entertaining watching Haruto turn into a total tourist for the Division's exterior, Ada was more curious to see his reaction when they got inside. "Come on," Ada called after him. "Let's go in."

Haruto flashed to her side and eyed the tall doors with misgiving. "You sure this is okay?"

"Sure." Ada swung an arm over his shoulders and directed him straight for the door. "Just act natural. No one would know you're not from the Division."

The door opened to a high-ceiling lobby with LED screens scrolling announcements, sleek white benches scattered about, trim indoor flowerbeds and wide corridors that led to the Divisions' districts. Ahead was a giant mosaic depicting numerous cupids gazing at a bright humanoid form. Ada could never tell if the One Up High was male or female.

"Woah." Haruto gazed up at the numerous cupids flying above, some chatting as they went, while some paused mid-air and scrolled through their logger. It appeared a tad chaotic, but there was also an order to their movement. No cupid bumped into each other up there. And on the ground as well.

"Isn't it weird that we're the only ones walking?"

"Nah. They know I hardly ever fly."

"But—"

Grabbing Haruto's hand, Ada led him towards the food court district. "Trust me on this, no one cares."

"This is my favourite drink place. Tada!" Ada dramatically gestured at the confectionery shop. Hopefully, Henry will be on duty today. He was a friendly highbrow who frequently volunteered at the shop.

Haruto blinked at the signage. "Sugar Bar?"

"Yep. Let's grab a drink."

Henry was the one on volunteer duties, and he was excellent at minding his business while being friendly at once. Not once did he ask why Haruto was watching everything with wide-eyed wonder and why he kept taking photos.

They were halfway through their milkshake when Ada asked her burning question. "So, what do you think? Is my division better than yours?"

"Fine." Haruto rolled his eyes and smiled. "Your division seems better and more... colourful." He dropped his attention to his drink. "It feels nice."

Ada grinned. "I'm not even surprised. If you—"

"Adarosa."

Ada's attention flew to the door. It was Tasha and Bo. What were they doing here? Though Tasha seemed like her usual bright self, Bo appeared annoyed.

"Both of you, come with me."

"Huh?" Haruto turned panicked eyes to Ada and whispered. "They've caught on, haven't they? They know I'm a Rifter."

Ada tried to catch Bo's eyes, but she turned and walked away. "Tasha. Is there a problem?"

"We were about to call for you before we noticed you were already in the division."

That doesn't answer my question!

"But my... friend doesn't have to tag along, yeah?"

Tasha nodded in Haruto's direction and smiled. "He must come along." She made it out of the shop, deliberately walking at a slow pace for them to catch up. Bo was nowhere in sight.

"They know," Haruto whisper-yelled at Ada. His brow was bunched with worry; Ada felt worse than scum. "I knew this was a bad idea. What are they going to—"

Stopping, Ada took Haruto's hand in her and squeezed once. "I wasn't totally truthful. The other day, the Helmets asked to see you when I shared the story of your dismissal."

"What?" Haruto snatched his hand from hers. "You... you brought me here knowing that?"

"It's not like that." Ada pleaded. "I already invited you before they even asked for your audience."

"You know what I mean. Stop acting like you do not know what I mean. I thought you understood me. Why would you—" his voice broke.

"Please, understand. I was trying to help." This was far from what she imagined when she thought of saving Haruto.

"Did I ask for it?"

"I—"

"Forget it. Let's get this over with." Pushing past her, Haruto followed after Tasha.

He wouldn't even look at her when they reached the doors of the Helmet's conference room. "I'm sorry, Haruto. It's not what you are thinking."

When Haruto walked in, Ada hurried after him. "You have to believe me. I—" Her jaw dropped at the sight of who stood next to Maya, hands in pocket, winking cufflinks, crisp dress shirt and a grey tie.

Luke.

Ada blinked hard as she broke into a cold sweat, wishing from the depths of her heart that what she was seeing was an apparition. But it was really Luke. No wonder Bo was in an awful mood.

His condescending gaze first lingered on Ada before sliding over to Haruto. "Of all the coincidences. What's a Rifter doing in a Cupid Division?" 

________________________________________________________________________________

The thing about perfect people is that they are really REALLY annoying... at least, that's what I think. They're like a mirror that reflects all the things you should have done or not done. Gah! Anyhoo, that's the idea I had while creating Luke.

Ten million chapters into the story and the love interests finally kiss. 😅

Thanks for the continued support, y'all. Vote and comment. 💕   

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

472K 26.3K 41
~Bhuva Agarwal~ Meet this bubbly and charming girl who brings a smile on everyone's face. Fiesty yet innocent, sweet yet sarcastic, loyal and stubbor...
9.5M 310K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
60.8M 2.9M 83
[IN BOOKSTORES AND KINDLE UNLIMITED NOW!] What if you were matched with the original love god? --- When Lila goes to the Cupids Matchmaking Service i...
54.5K 13.9K 37
"Do you remember your highschool in Nigeria?" I asked. "Nigeria? No, I studied abroad!" "No! You were in Nigeria.Do you remember me?" "You? Am I supp...