๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„

By hellencristine

๐‹๐ˆ๐’๐“๐„๐, Selene didn't want to be a Goddess... She was a normal fifteen-year-old-class president, a ded... More

๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„
๐๐‘๐„๐‹๐”๐ƒ๐„
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ - ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐š๐ง'๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž
๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐•
๐•
๐•๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐—
๐—
๐—๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐•
๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐ˆ
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐›๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฅ๐š๐›๐ฒ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ก
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐—๐•
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ

๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ

1.7K 85 120
By hellencristine

I ain't a kid no more
We'll never be those kids again

𝒊𝒗𝒚, frank ocean

Selene woke up in a tow truck, leaning against the tow wench of a pickup bed.

The world seemed hazy as she struggled to sit up, her limbs feeling heavy and weak. Her body felt heavy, and she could sense a dull ache lingering.

When her eyes fluttered open, first thing she saw was Zoe Nightshade. Zoe's head was lowered, and it appeared she was holding back silent sobs.

"What..." Selene attempted to piece together a sentence. Then, it all crashed down on her—everything that had happened earlier. The image of Bianca vanishing right before her eyes, the man leading her away, and her final words echoing in Selene's mind—it was an honor being your friend. She had been too weak before to comprehend, but now, it all made sense. "Bianca is dead."

Zoe nodded, her head still low.

Selene looked around. They were driving through the desert, under clear blue skies, the sand so bright it hurt to look at. Thalia was at the front with Percy and Grover. At the back, there were only the two of them.

"I saw her."

Zoe locked eyes with her. Tear glistened her eyes and marked tracks on her cheeks. Her braid was all messy, and her hands trembled uncontrollably. In that moment, Zoe seemed as if on the verge of breaking into a million pieces. "What?" Her voice quivered as she spoke.

Selene wasn't much better than Zoe. "I saw her walking away with a man. He was holding her hand." Her voice choked with grief, gasping for air between fits of inconsolable weeping.

Zoe squeezed her eyelids shut, probably in the hope her tears would stop.

Selene looked away. "It's my fault," she said, biting her lip. "I should've done more, I should've... If I tried harder... Maybe Bianca wouldn't..."

Without warning a sharp, stinging sound echoed.

Selene's head snapped to the side and her hand instantly went for her cheek. She looked back at Zoe, eyes widened.

Zoe had just slapped her in the face.

"Stop pitying thyself." Zoe's eyes, swollen and red, bore into Selene's face as the words hung in the air. She wiped the few remaining tears with the fabric of her coat. "It isn't thy fault, but thee should have done more. If grief weighs upon you for Bianca's death, cease thy self-pity and own up your burden. This wasn't thy fault—the next may be."

Selene's cheek throbbed, and she stared at Zoe in shock. The sting of the slap resonated through her, yet Zoe's words cut even deeper. For a moment, she felt a mix of pain, surprise, and a strange realization.

Selene had never witnessed someone's death before. The Mist had led her to believe her parents were gone, but she never saw their death. Despite telling herself that she couldn't bear to lose Bianca, she hadn't fought hard enough when it mattered most. If only she had mastered her powers, perhaps she could have defeated the monster on her own... none of them would need to risk their lives.

Zoe was right. Selene kept fighting against herself until now. She didn't accept who she was, she didn't accept who she needed to become, and the cost of her denial was the life of someone she deeply cared for.

Bianca was twelve. All of Bianca's bravery and potential were stolen away.

Selene knew she was supposed to be millions and millions of years old, but she'd never felt younger than now. She longed for the comforting embrace of a mother to brush her pain away, the reassurance of a father, and to crawl in a bed full of teddy bears, as if everything had just been a nightmare. Part of her even wished to switch places with Bianca, to sacrifice herself instead and spare the young girl's life.

Selene was just a coward wearing the skin of a god. She was scared and she refused to accept her burden.

She steadied herself, pressing her lips together tightly. "What happened to Bianca won't happen to anyone else." she said, her voice a hollow deadpan. "Teach me all you know, Zoe."

The tough lines on Zoe's face softened. She extended her hand, and Selene felt it pressing on top of her own.

Zoe weakly nodded. "Even if it's the last thing I do," she whispered.

Zoe, having wiped her eyes to conceal the remnants of sorrow, moved towards the window. She stuck her head through the back window that separated the inside of the car and the pickup bed.

"Come on, Perseus Jackson. Exchange seats with me."

If Selene wasn't drowning in sorrow, she would've had a blast watching Zoe and Percy attempt the seat swap. Zoe, determined not to touch Percy, had her nose scrunched up like she was dodging a another Nemean Lion, while Percy, clearly amused, couldn't resist trying to get in her personal space. In the end, it resulted in Percy getting a faceful of Zoe's foot.

Zoe shut the sliding window whilst Percy stuck his tongue out at her.

"Hey," he awkwardly waved at her as he sat by her side.

The corners of Selene's mouth slightly curved upwards. "Hey, Poseidon Junior."

Selene turned to look at him and stared right into his eyes—sea-blue, with speckles of green. She noticed how, in certain lightinings, it could change, but it was still unmistakably his—as if he owned this color. As if everyone else could have similar colors, yet nobody else would have Percy Jackson's sea-blue ones with the same speckles of green.

"I've got something for you."

She watched as a strand of hair fell across his forehead as Thalia drove faster. His hair seemed like the ones to get curlier during summer, but still, she couldn't help but look at every detail of the slight curls at his ends while he brushed it away.

She arched an eyebrow, "What?"

"One night, a few moons ago, I saw flecks of what could've been lights. But it might just have been you passing by unbeknownst to me. Life is emotionally abusive and time can't stop me quite like you did. And my flight was awful, thanks for asking. I'm unglued, thanks to you..." He stopped singing, and looked at her.

Selene managed to hold her face still before bursting into laughing. "Why are you randomly singing Snow at the Beach?"

"I don't know. Thought your favorite song would ease up the mood," he shrugged. "And it's like snow at the beach, weird, but fuckin' beautiful. Flying in a dream, stars by the pocketful. You wanting me tonight, feels impossible. But it's comin' down, no sound, it's all around. Like snow on the beach..."

She pressed her hand on his mouth. "Please, that's enough..." Selene couldn't stop laughing. Percy had no rhythm or whatsoever. Even Sister Natalie was a better singer than him—at least she could sing 'Christ, Be Our Light' without sounding like a tortured duck.

"Made you smile. Mission accomplished."

"Actually you made me wanna kill myself."

"At least it's something, right?" He winked at her. But then, he took something from his pocket, and his eyes lowered. It was a Mythomagic statue. "Bianca wanted to give Nico this."

It hit Selene like a ton of bricks, and the tears welled up again. She couldn't contain the flood of feelings. She hid her face between her legs, shoulders shaking with silent sobs.

Percy, seemed unsure of what to do, so he just kept giving awkward pats on her shoulder.

After a while, she lifted her head and wiped away the tears. "I'm so sorry Perce."

"Don't be sorry..." he whispered. "You can cry if you want, but please don't. You look uglier than usual when you do."

She hit his shoulder. "You're the worst friend ever."

"I can just go back..."

"No!" She yelled.

The window glass slid open. "Is everything alright?" Grover asked.

Percy suppressed a smile. Selene wrinkled her nose, "Mhm, yea. No worries."

"I hope she's killing him," Selene heard the muffed sound of Zoe's voice as Grover shut the window back.

She turned to him, "How did you know my favorite song?"

Percy shrugged as if it was the most obvious thing ever. "What don't I know about you?" Selene almost smiled. "It's not a compliment. You're very vocal about everything and never shut the fuck up. I've heard you singing this song over forty times during lessons."

"Why are you so mean?"

"I'm not mean. I'm your best friend."

She hugged her legs and looked away to the desert. "Is this our new tradition? Singing to each other every time the other is sad."

Percy also hugged his legs, but he was looking straight into her. "We've got a lot of traditions already—eating blue cookies, wearing matching costumes on Halloween, swimming to the Indian Ocean..."

"Why did you take me to the Indian Ocean anyways?"

He shrugged. "Thought the tides were better there, so it was easier to teach you how to swim. Did you like it?"

"Well of course I like it. If I hadn't, I would probably have incinerated you at the spot."

He shook his head, "No, you wouldn't." Percy raised his finger, "First of all, you wouldn't survive without me. Second of all, my father would be very mad, and you don't want to see the old man mad."

"You think he'd turn you into a sea-horse like Zeus turned Thalia into a pinecone?"

"I'd go for a dolphin," he leaned in, whispering in her ear, "they've got quite the reputation with the ladies. Just like me."

"Oh, really? Where are they?"

Percy waved his hand dismissively. "They're everywhere. The girls are crazy about me."

"Like Zoe?"

He winked at her, "Especially Zoe."

Selene chuckled, but suddenly, her eyes lowered. "I had the chance of saving Bianca," she said.

Percy looked at her. "What do you mean?"

"I knew I was getting weaker. I knew I could've taken Talos down if I saved my last bit of energy... But then I used it all on you, to toss you away from him. And then I passed."

They remained silent for a while, just the sound of muffled music coming from the front of the truck and Zoe and Thalia's discussion.

"Mene..."

"I know what you'll say. 'It's not your fault, Selene. Don't blame yourself.' But I already do. I cannot stop comparing myself to the person I once was and I cannot understand why I'm so weak and such a cowa—"

Percy interrupted her by suddenly giving Selene a quick kiss on her cheek.

Her eyes widened in surprise, and she asked, "Mhm, what was that?"

Percy looked around. "I don't know. You did this before, so I thought it would be nice to do the same. If you feel uncomfortable, I can just sto—"

"It was nice. Thank you."

He gave her a lopside grin, "Thank you for saving me... again."

"Anytime."

The tow truck ran out of gas at the edge of a river canyon. That was just as well, because the road dead-ended.

Thalia got out and slammed the door. Immediately, one of the tires blew. "Great. What now?"

Selene scanned the horizon. There wasn't much to see. Desert in all directions, occasional clumps of barren mountains plopped here and there. The canyon was the only thing interesting. The river itself wasn't very big, maybe fifty yards across, green water with a few rapids, but it carved a huge scar out of the desert. The rock cliffs dropped away below them.

"There's a path," Grover said. "We could get to the river."

Selen tried to see what he was talking about, and finally noticed a tiny ledge winding down the cliff face. "Not to fat shame or anything, but I don't think any of us fits."

"That's a goat path," Percy told her.

She narrowed her eyes. "Since when are goats that skinny?"

"We can make it..." Grover said. "...I think."

Selene thought about that, but then she looked over at Thalia and saw how pale she'd gotten. The girl looked terrified.

Percy probably noticed the same thing, as he interjected, "No," he said. "I, uh, think we should go farther upstream."

Grover said, "But—"

"Come on," Selene smiled at him, "A walk won't hurt us."

They followed the river about half a mile before coming to an easier slope that led down to the water. On the shore was a canoe rental operation that was closed for the season, but Percy left a stack of golden drachmas on the counter and a note saying IOU two canoes.

"Why are you leaving Chuck E. Cheese's coins?" Selene grabbed one of them and analyzed.

Percy took it from her hand and placed it back, "Those are golden drachmas."

"...for fliperama?"

"Real money. For, you know, Greeks."

"Oh cool. Maybe I'll get a discount if I bring one to Chuck E. Cheese. They might let me play Street Figh—"

"We need to go upstream," Zoe said. She sounded like somebody with the flu. "The rapids are too swift."

"Leave that to me," Percy raised his hand as they put the canoes in the water.

Thalia pulled Selene to the side, "Would you take Zoe?" she asked. "I think, ah, maybe you can talk to her."

"We've already talked a little back in the truck."

"Please? I don't know if I can stand being in the same boat with her. She's... she's starting to worry me. Maybe you and Percy could..."

Selene nodded.

Thalia's shoulders relaxed. "I owe you both one."

"Two."

"One and a half," Thalia winked at her.

She turned and helped Grover get their canoe into the water. As soon as they got in the river, Selene looked over the edge of the boat and found a couple of naiads staring at Percy. She had a nice memory of naiads helping her before, but why were those smiling and giggling so much?

The naiads each chose a canoe and began pushing them up the river. They started so fast Grover fell into his canoe with his hooves sticking up in the air.

"I hate naiads," Zoe grumbled.

"Tell me about it," Selene added.

A stream of water squirted up from the back of the boat and hit Zoe in the face.

"She-devils!" Zoe went for her bow.

"Whoa," Percy said. "They're just playing."

Selene shot him a glare. "I'll show them a water play they won't forget."

"Cursed water spirits. They've never forgiven me."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Forgiven you for what?"

She slung her bow back over her shoulder. "It was a long time ago. Never mind."

They sped up the river, the cliffs looming up on either side of them.

"What happened to Bianca wasn't your fault. Neither of you," Percy said. "It was my fault. I let her go."

Zoe's shoulders slumped. "No, Percy. I pushed her into going on the quest. I was too anxious. She was a powerful half-blood. She had a kind heart, as well. I... I thought she would be the next lieutenant."

"But you're the lieutenant."

She gripped the strap of her quiver. She looked more tired than Selene had ever seen her. "Nothing can last forever, Percy. Over two thousand years I have led the Hunt, and my wisdom has not improved. Now Artemis herself is in danger," she sighed. "Selene, I'm sorry for hitting thee before, and not paying attention about what thou dream with Bianca."

Selene gave her a faint smile, "I deserved it. But honestly, I was hoping you'd do the same to Percy too."

"Wait, what?" Percy had a quizzical look on his face. "Zoe hit you?"

"Don't worry. I kinda liked it," she winked at him. Then, Selene turned to Zoe, "Look, you can't blame yourself for that... Artemis kidnap, you know."

"If I had insisted on going with her—"

"I'm not the most intelligent one here, but I'm sure there's nothing you could have done."

Zoe didn't answer.

The cliffs along the river were getting taller. Long shadows fell across the water, making it a lot colder, even though the day was bright.

Percy took Riptide out of his pocket. Zoe looked at the pen, and her expression was pained.

"You made this," he said.

"Who told thee?"

"I had a dream about it."

Selene looked at him with her eyebrow raised. He didn't tell her about his dream.

Zoe just sighed. "It was a gift. And a mistake."

"Who was the hero?" He asked.

Zoe shook her head. "Do not make me say his name. I swore never to speak it again."

"You act like I should know him."

"I am sure you do, hero. Don't all you boys want to be just like him?"

Selene raised her hand. "I know! Timothee Chalamet!"

Zoe frowned. "Who?"

Percy looked down on his pen, then lifted his head. "Your mother was a water goddess?"

"Yes, Pleione. She had five daughters. My sisters and I. The Hesperides."

"Those were the girls who lived in a garden at the edge of the West. With the golden apple tree and a dragon guarding it."

"Yes," Zoe said wistfully. "Ladon."

Selene raised her hand again. "But the book Greek Gods 101 said there were only four sisters...?"

"There are now. I was exiled. Forgotten. Blotted out as if I never existed."

She leaned closer to Zoe, "Why?"

Zoe pointed to Percy's pen. "Because I betrayed my family and helped a hero. You won't find that in the legend either. He never spoke of me. After his direct assault on Ladon failed, I gave him the idea of how to steal the apples, how to trick my father, but he took all the credit."

"But—"

The canoe was slowing down. Selene looked ahead. The river was blocked. A dam the size of a football stadium stood in their path.

"Hoover Dam," Thalia said. "It's huge."

They stood at the river's edge, looking up at a curve of concrete that loomed between the cliffs. People were walking along the top of the dam. They were so tiny they looked like fleas.

The naiads had left with a lot of grumbling—not in words Selene could understand, but it was obvious they hated this dam blocking up their nice river. Their canoes floated back downstream, swirling in the wake from the dam's discharge vents.

"Seven hundred feet tall," I said. "Built in the 1930s."

"Five million cubic acres of water," Thalia completed.

Graver sighed. "Largest construction project in the United States."

Zoe stared at us. "How do you know all that?"

"Annabeth," Percy said as if it was so obvious. "She liked architecture."

"She was nuts about monuments," Thalia completed, glancing around.

"Spouted facts all the time." Grover sniffled. "So annoying."

"I wish she were here," Percy said.

"Who wouldn't want their true love around..." Selene muttered.

He turned to her, "You heard that? What Aphrodite said?"

She shrugged, but didn't respond.

"How much you heard?"

"Enough, I guess."

"We should go up there," Percy said. "For her sake. Just to say we've been."

"You are mad," Zoe decided. "But that's where the road is." She pointed to a huge parking garage next to the top of the dam. "And so, sightseeing it is."

They had to walk for almost an hour before they found a path that led up to the road. It came up on the east side of the river. Then they straggled back toward the dam. It was cold and windy on top. On one side, a big lake spread out, ringed by barren desert mountains. On the other side, the dam dropped away like the world's most dangerous skateboard ramp, down to the river seven hundred feet below, and water that churned from the dam's vents.

Thalia walked in the middle of the road, far away from the edges. Grover kept sniffing the wind and looking nervous. He didn't say anything, but Selene knew something wasn't right with him.

"How close are they?" She overheard Percy asking him.

He shook his head. "Maybe not close. The wind on the dam, the desert all around us... the scent can probably carry for miles. But it's coming from several directions. I don't like that."

"There's a snack bar in the visitor center," Thalia pointed out.

"You've been here before?" Selene asked her.

"Once. To see the guardians." She pointed to the far end of the dam.

Carved into the side of the cliff was a little plaza with two big bronze statues. They looked kind of like Oscar statues with wings.

"They were dedicated to Zeus when the dam was built," Thalia continued. "A gift from Athena."

Tourists were clustered all around them. They seemed to be looking at the statues' feet.

"What are they doing?" Selene asked. They were a little far from everyone else.

"Rubbing the toes," Thalia said. "They think it's good luck."

"Oh..." Selene looked at it, "but like, why?"

She shook her head. "Mortals get crazy ideas. They don't know the statues are sacred to Zeus, but they know there's something special about them."

"When you were here last, did they talk to you or anything?"

"No. They don't do anything. They're just big metal statues."

Selene nodded.

Thalia looked back, as if she was making sure everyone else was at a safe distance from them. "Remember when I told you I needed to talk to you?"

"Oh, right. Before we were attacked by the giant Wall-E."

"When are you telling Percy you like him?"

Selene abruptly stopped. "Uh, what the heck?"

Thalia grabbed her by her arm, and pushed her to keep walking. "You like him, don't you?"

She shook her head, a faint blush creeping onto her cheeks. "Nah, I don't like like him," she insisted, but Thalia continued to eye her with a mischievous grin. "Okay, maybe a tiny crush. But it's Percy. Who doesn't secretly crush on him?"

"Definitely not me," Thalia wrinkled her nose. "And I can't picture Zoe falling for him either. Grover, on the other hand..."

"Okay, okay, maybe apart from you," Selene admitted with a chuckle. "But honestly, it's just a small little crush.. I mean, his hair is kinda cute, and when he's in battle mode with that sword of his... No big deal; it's not like it's going to turn into anything rather than it, and honestly I'm fine with it. Besides, he doesn't like me either."

Thalia grinned slyly. "You really think he's not into you?"

"Well, when we found out about sister Natalie and everything, he comforted me by saying I should be happy we might be related. So..."

"He's truly living up to the Seaweed Brain nickname."

Selene chuckled. "It doesn't bother me. I don't dwell on it. And even if I did, your dad would probably put a stop to it."

Thalia shrugged. "True, true. I just wanted to confirm my suspicions."

"So that's what this was about?"

"Duh." Thalia nudged Selene, who just rolled her eyes. "But let's say if he tried to kiss you..."

"...we both know he'd end up tripping over his own feet."

"Fair point. Now, what if he found someone else, some crazy girl not afraid to confess her feelings..."

"...then congrats to Percy, he's upgraded his relationship status."

"But what if that girl kisses him in front of you?"

"...I'd cheer for them. Encore, encore!"

"Wow. Tough crowd."

"Let us find the dam snack bar," Zoe said as they caught up to Thalia and Selene. "We should eat while we can."

Grover cracked a smile. "The dam snack bar?"

Zoe blinked. "Yes. What is funny?"

"Nothing," Grover said, trying to keep a straight face. "I could use some dam french fries."

Even Thalia smiled at that. "And I need to use the dam restroom."

Maybe it was the fact that they were so tired and strung out emotionally, but Selene started cracking up, and Thalia, Grover and Percy joined in, while Zoe just looked at them. "I do not understand."

"I want to use the dam water fountain," Selene said.

"And..." Thalia tried to catch her breath. "I want to buy a dam T-shirt."

They all busted up, and Selene probably would've kept laughing all day, but then she heard a noise:

"Moooo."

The smile melted off her face. She wondered if the noise was just in her head, but Grover and Percy had stopped laughing too. He was looking around, confused. "Did I just hear a cow?"

"A dam cow?" Thalia laughed.

"No," Grover said. "I'm serious."

Zoe listened. "I hear nothing."

Thalia was looking at both Percy and Selene. "Are you two okay?"

"What's wrong?" Grover asked.

"Nothing," he said. "I... I just need a minute. To think." Then, Percy turned to Selene. "Could you stay?"

"Mhm, yeah, sure."

They hesitated, but maybe it was because Percy looked upset, because they finally went into the visitor center without them two. As soon as they were gone, Percy grabbed Selene's hand and jogged to the north edge of the dam and looked over.

"Percy, what...?"

"Moo."

She was about thirty feet below in the lake, but Selene could see her clearly: their friend from Long Island Sound, the cow serpent Percy had named Bessie.

They looked around. There were groups of kids running along the dam. A lot of senior citizens. Some families. But nobody seemed to be paying Bessie any attention yet.

"What are you doing here?" Percy asked her.

"Moo!" Her voice was urgent, like she was trying to warn them of something.

"How did you get here?" This time, Selene was the one to ask.

They were thousands of miles from Long Island, hundreds of miles inland. There was no way she could've swum all the way here. And yet, there she was.

Bessie swam in a circle and butted her head against the side of the dam. "Moo!"

"Percy, she wants us to come with her."

"We can't," Percy told Bessie. "Our friends are inside."

She looked at them with her sad brown eyes. Then she gave one more urgent "Mooo!," did a flip, and disappeared into the water.

Percy seemed to be hesitating. Something was wrong. She was trying to tell them that.

"What if we jump together?" he asked.

Selene shook her head, "We can't. The others..."

The hairs on her arms bristled. She looked down the dam road to the east and saw two men walking slowly toward them. They wore gray camouflage outfits that flickered over skeletal bodies. They passed through a group of kids and pushed them aside. A kid yelled, "Hey!" One of the warriors turned, his face changing momentarily into a skull.

"Ah!" the kid yelled, and his whole group backed away.

Without warning, Percy grabbed Selene's hand and they ran for the visitor center.

They were almost to the stairs when Selene heard tires squeal. On the west side of the dam, a black van swerved to a stop in the middle of the road, nearly plowing into some old people. The van doors opened and more skeleton warriors piled out. They were surrounded.

They bolted down the stairs and through the museum entrance. The security guard at the metal detector yelled, "Hey, kids!" But they didn't stop. Instead, Percy just tightened his grip on her hand.

They ran through the exhibits and ducked behind a tour group. Percy started looking for their friends, but neither him or Selene couldn't see them anywhere. Where is the dam snack bar? she thought.

"Stop!" The metal-detector guy yelled.

There was no place to go but into an elevator with the tour group. Percy guided them there and ducked inside just as the door closed. With no breathing room, he hesitantly ended up holding Selene by her waist to make space. The close quarters had Selene holding her breath, feeling the crush of people around them.

"We'll be going down seven hundred feet," the tour guide said cheerfully. She was a park ranger, with long black hair pulled back in a ponytail and tinted glasses. "Don't worry, ladies and gentlemen, the elevator hardly ever breaks."

"Does this go to the snack bar?" Percy asked her.

A few people behind them chuckled. The tour guide looked at Percy. Something about her gaze made Selene's skin tingle.

"To the turbines, young man," the lady said. "Weren't you and your friend listening to my fascinating presentation upstairs?"

"Oh, uh, sure."

"Is there another way out of the dam?" Selene asked.

"It's a dead end," a tourist behind her said. "For heaven's sake. The only way out is the other elevator."

The doors opened.

"Go right ahead, folks," the tour guide told them. "Another ranger is waiting for you at the end of the corridor."

They didn't have much choice but to go out with the group.

"And kids," the tour guide called. They both looked back. She'd taken off her glasses. Her eyes were startlingly gray, like storm clouds. "There is always a way out for those clever enough to find it. This time, I allow you to cheat a little, Lady Selene."

The doors closed with the tour guide still inside, leaving them alone.

"Who the fuck was that?" Selene muttered. Well, since she found out she's a goddess, it became quite common random people knowing who she is (more who she used to be), yet still—it was too damn creepy.

Before they could think too much about the woman in the elevator, a ding came from around the corner. The second elevator was opening, and she heard an unmistakable sound—the clattering of skeleton teeth.

Percy, who hadn't let go of her hand, ran after the tour group, through a tunnel carved out of solid rock. It seemed to run forever. The walls were moist, and the air hummed with electricity and the roar of water. They came out on a U-shaped balcony that overlooked this huge warehouse area. Fifty feet below, enormous turbines were running. It was a big room, but they didn't see any other exit, unless he wanted to jump into the turbines and get churned up to make electricity. Selene didn't.

Another tour guide was talking over the microphone, telling the tourists about water supplies in Nevada. Selene prayed that Thalia, Zoe, and Grover were okay. They might already be captured, or eating at the snack bar, completely unaware that we were being surrounded. And stupid Titaness Selene attacked again: Percy and her had trapped themselves in a hole hundreds of feet below the surface.

They worked their way around the crowd, trying not to be too obvious about it. There was a hallway at the other side of the balcony—maybe some place they both could hide. Percy kept his free hand on Riptide, ready to strike, whilst Selene had both fans hanging by her belt.

By the time they got to the opposite side of the balcony, Selene's nerves were shot. They backed into the little hallway and Selene watched the tunnel they'd come from.

Then right behind them she heard a sharp Chhh! like the voice of a skeleton.

Without thinking, Percy pushed Selene behind him, uncapping Riptide and spinning, slashing with his sword.

The girl he'd just tried to slice in half yelped and dropped her Kleenex.

"Oh my god.'" she shouted. "Do you always kill people when they blow their nose?"

Selene narrowed her eyes, trying to think of a way of telling her Percy wasn't actually holding a sword. But the first thing that went through her head was that the sword hadn't hurt her. It had passed clean through her body, harmlessly.

"You're mortal!" Percy exclaimed.

Selene wanted to hit him. What the fuck?

The girl looked at him in disbelief. "What's that supposed to mean? Of course I'm mortal! How did you get that sword past security?"

"It's an action figure. From Attack on Titan—he's cosplaying Armin."

"Wait, you can see it's a sword?"

Thank you, Percy Jackson. Living up to the nickname—Lord of the Bathroom? Seaweed Brain? Poseidon Junior? All of them.

The girl rolled her eyes, which were green. She had frizzy reddish-brown hair. Her nose was also red, like she had a cold. She wore a big maroon Harvard sweatshirt and jeans that were covered with marker stains and little holes, like she spent her free time poking them with a fork.

"Well, it's either a sword or the biggest toothpick in the world," she said. "And why didn't it hurt me? I mean, not that I'm complaining. Who are you two? Are you siblings or dating? You don't look good together, though. She looks too old for you, so maybe siblings. And whoa, what is that you're wearing? Is that made of lion fur?"

She asked so many questions so fast, it was like she was throwing rocks at them. It was very clear Percy couldn't think of what to say. She looked at his sleeves to see if the Nemean Lion pelt had somehow changed back to fur, but it still looked like a brown winter coat to Selene.

He turned to Selene, releasing her hand, "You think Mr. D. is a good professor? Watch this and learn." He seemed to concentrate hard as he snapped his fingers on her face. "You don't see a sword," he told the girl. "It's just a ballpoint pen."

She blinked. "Um... no. It's a sword, weirdo."

Selene suppressed a chuckle, "Nice one, Dumbledore."

"Who are you?" Percy demanded. He looked almost offended.

She huffed indignantly. "Rachel Elizabeth Dare. Now, are you two weirdos going to answer my questions or should I scream for security?"

Selene didn't hesitate. "Please, security."

"No!" Percy shouted. "I mean, we're kind of in a hurry. We're in trouble."

"In a hurry or in trouble?"

"None of your business?" Selene said.

Rachel looked over their shoulders and her eyes widened. "Bathroom!"

"What?"

"Bathroom! Behind me! Now!"

This time, Selene grabbed Percy's hand and slipped inside the boys' bathroom, leaving Rachel Elizabeth Dare standing outside.

"Shouldn't we get her?" Percy asked.

"Nah she's good. Maybe she can use her big fat tongue to protect herself."

Percy pressed his hand on Selene's mouth as they heard the clattering, hissing sounds of skeletons as coming closer to them.

Percy's grip tightened on Riptide. "What are you thinking? You left a mortal girl out there to die!"

"And I would do it again."

Percy seemed to be preparing to burst out and fight when Rachel Elizabeth Dare started talking in that rapid-fire machine gun way of hers.

"Oh my god! Did you see those kids? It's about time you got here. The boy tried to kill me! He had a sword, for god's sake. You security guys let a sword-swinging lunatic inside a national landmark? I mean, jeez! They ran that way toward those turbine thingies. I think they went over the side or something. Maybe they fell."

The skeletons clattered excitedly. Selene heard them moving off.

Rachel opened the door. "All clear. But you'd better hurry."

She looked shaken. Her face was gray and sweaty.

They peeked around the corner. Three skeleton warriors were running toward the other end of the balcony. The way to the elevator was clear for a few seconds.

"I owe you one, Rachel Elizabeth Dare."

Selene narrowed her eyes, "I don't owe anything to anyone," she muttered. "Maybe a few dollars to Sister Natalie and a backpack to Camp Half-Blood... but that's all."

"What are those things?" she asked. "They looked like—"

"Skeletons?"

"Your mom?"

"Skeletons, yes." Rachel ignored Selene's remark.

"Do yourself a favor," Percy said. "Forget it. Forget you ever saw us."

"Forget you tried to kill me?"

"Yeah. That, too."

She turned to Percy, "Now you watch this and learn." Selene leaned in, her eyes focused on Rachel. "This is how you make her forget she ever saw us."

Out of nowhere, Selene threw a punch at Rachel's jaw.

The impact was so strong that Rachel instantly passed out, falling to the ground.

Selene took a step back, shaking off the punch, while Rachel lay unconscious on the floor. She glanced back at Percy with a satisfied nod. "More effective than your mist." Then the skeletons turned around. "Now come on."

"You punched her?" Percy shouted as they ran. "Are you fucking crazy?"

The cafe was packed with kids enjoying the best part of the tour—the dam lunch. Thalia, Zoe, and Grover were just sitting down with their food.

"So what? She called me old!"

"We need to leave," Percy gasped as they caught up with the group. "Now!"

"But we just got our burritos!" Thalia said.

Zoe stood up, muttering an Ancient Greek curse. "He's right! Look."

The cafe windows wrapped all the way around the observation floor, which gave them a beautiful panoramic view of the skeletal army that had come to kill them.

Selene counted two on the east side of the dam road, blocking the way to Arizona. Three more on the west side, guarding Nevada. All of them were armed with batons and pistols.

But their immediate problem was a lot closer. The three skeletal warriors who'd been chasing them in the turbine room now appeared on the stairs. They saw Percy and Selene from across the cafeteria and clattered their teeth.

"Elevator!" Grover said. They bolted that direction, but the doors opened with a pleasant ding, and three more warriors stepped out. Every warrior was accounted for, minus the one Bianca had blasted to flames in New Mexico. They were completely surrounded.

Then Grover had a brilliant, totally Grover-like idea.

"Burrito fight!" he yelled, and flung his Guacamole Grande at the nearest skeleton.

Now, if you have never been hit by a flying burrito, count yourself lucky. In terms of deadly projectiles, it's right up there with grenades and cannonballs, and Selene spoke from experience. Grover's lunch hit the skeleton and knocked his skull clean off his shoulders. Selene was not sure what the other kids in the cafe saw, but they went crazy and started throwing their burritos and baskets of chips and sodas at each other, shrieking and screaming.

The skeletons tried to aim their guns, but it was hopeless. Bodies and food and drinks were flying everywhere.

In the chaos, Thalia and Percy tackled the other two skeletons on the stairs and sent them flying into the condiment table. Then they all raced downstairs, Guacamole Grandes whizzing past their heads.

"What now?" Grover asked as they burst outside.

The warriors on the road were closing in from either direction. They ran across the street to the pavilion with the winged bronze statues, but that just put their backs to the mountain.

The skeletons moved forward, forming a crescent around them. Their brethren from the cafe were running up to join them. One was still putting its skull back on its shoulders. Another was covered in ketchup and mustard. Two more had burritos lodged in their rib cages. They didn't look happy about it. They drew batons and advanced.

"Five against eleven," Zoe muttered. "And they cannot die."

"It's been nice adventuring with you guys," Grover said, his voice trembling.

Something shiny caught the corner of Selene's eye. She glanced behind her at the statue's feet. "Whoa," she said. "Their toes really are bright."

"Mene!" Thalia exclaimed. "This isn't the time."

But she couldn't help staring at the two giant bronze guys with tall bladed wings like letter openers. They were weathered brown except for their toes, which shone like new pennies from all the times people had rubbed them for good luck.

Good luck. The blessing of Zeus.

Selene glanced at Percy, and it seemed as if he caught exactly what she meant.

She thought about the tour guide in the elevator. Her gray eyes and her smile. What had she said? There is always a way for those clever enough to find it.

"Thalia," Percy said. "Pray to your dad."

She glared at him. "He never answers."

"Just this once," He pleaded. "Ask for help. I think... I think the statues can give us some luck."

Six skeletons raised their guns. The other five came forward with batons. Fifty feet away. Forty feet.

"Do it!" Selene yelled.

"No!" Thalia said. "He won't answer me."

"This time is different!"

"Who says?"

Percy hesitated. "Athena, I think."

Thalia scowled like she was sure they'd both gone crazy.

"Try it," Grover pleaded.

Thalia closed her eyes. Her lips moved in a silent prayer. Then, Selene remembered what else Athena said. This time, I allow you to cheat a little, Lady Selene.

She grabbed Zoe's arm. "How do I move the Moon?" she asked. "To make an Eclipse."

"What?"

This time, Selene screamed, "How do I move the Moon?"

"Focus on the essence inside you. Picture it dimming. Channel that energy, and the eclipse will follow. It's a connection, not a physical move!"

The skeletons closed in. Percy raised Riptide to defend himself and Selene, who had her eyes shut tightly. Thalia held up her shield. Zoe pushed Grover behind her and aimed an arrow at a skeleton's head.

A shadow fell over them. Selene opened her eyes, seeing that the Moon had covered the Sun. Wouldn't be very helpful, yet the lack of light would help them gain time.

A flash of bronze, and all five of the baton-wielders were swept aside. The other skeletons opened fire. Percy raised my lion coat over him and Selene for protection, but they didn't need it. Bronze angels stepped in front of them and folded their wings like shields. Bullets pinged off of them like rain off a corrugated roof. Both angels slashed outward, and the skeletons went flying across the road.

Selene lost concentration, and the Eclipse quickly faded.

"Man, it feels good to stand up!" the first angel said. His voice sounded tinny and rusty, like he hadn't had a drink since he'd been built.

"Will ya look at my toes?" the other said. "Holy Zeus, what were those tourists thinking?"

As stunned as Selene was by the angels, she was more concerned with the skeletons. A few of them were getting up again, reassembling, bony hands groping for their weapons.

"...mhm, guys?" She pointed at the skeletons.

"Trouble!" Percy screamed.

"No shit."

"Get us out of here!" Thalia yelled at them.

Both angels looked down at her. "Zeus's kid?" Yes!

"Could I get a please, Miss Zeus's Kid?" an angel asked.

"Please!"

The angels looked at each other and shrugged.

"Could use a stretch," one decided.

And the next thing Selene knew, one of them grabbed her and Thalia, the other grabbed Zoe, Grover and Percy, and they flew straight up, over the dam and the river, the skeleton warriors shrinking to tiny specks below them and the sound of gunfire echoing off the sides of the mountains. 

If you could see my thoughts
You would see our faces

𝒊𝒗𝒚, frank ocean

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

231K 7.7K 50
โ ๐™Ž๐™Š๐™๐™๐™”, ๐™Ž๐™๐˜ผ๐™ ๐™‚๐™„๐™๐™‡, I just have to make sure I can still look at you." โ ๐™๐™ƒ๐™„๐™‰ ๐™๐™๐˜พ๐™†๐™„๐™‰๐™‚ ๐™„๐˜พ๐™€, Jackson.โž ...
130K 3.6K 31
โ ๐๐„๐‹๐ˆ๐„๐•๐„ ๐ˆ๐“ ๐Ž๐‘ ๐๐Ž๐“ ๐๐”๐“ ๐˜๐Ž๐”'๐‘๐„ ๐Œ๐˜ ๐…๐€๐•๐Ž๐”๐‘๐ˆ๐“๐„ ๐ˆ๐ƒ๐ˆ๐Ž๐“. โž or sarcastic plus sarcastic seemed to mix well-or not. iro...
55.1K 1.3K 10
Annabeth moves back to her old school. Goode High. The place she was forced away from because her dad got a job in California. The place that she ha...