Back To Square One

By sei_mari

Donghyuck has moved on. Hate replaced love and anger replaced infatuation... Yet the hardest step to take is... More

Prologue - The Onset of War
Chapter 3 - Seatmates
Chapter 4 - Date To Busan
Chapter 5 - Vulnerable
Chapter 6 - Extra
Chapter 7 - Mishaps

Chapter 1 - Best Friends vs. Best Friends

45 1 1
By sei_mari

Present Day

It's Monday morning once again, and the campus is packed with busy students, trying to catch up with each other and chatting about how their weekends gone by. There’s one particular place that is more crowded than any other place though – it was the soccer field, and Donghyuck didn’t bother guessing why. For sure, the cause of the commotion is just a certain someone having his luxury as Mr. Popular, getting flocked by the students because they want to catch up with every second of that jerk’s breathing.

Whoever plays ball during the first period anyway? Mark Lee isn’t afraid to get all sweaty, he’s THAT confident. The idiot is at the field playing with his friends, Lee Jeno and Park Jisung.

Unfortunately, he has to pass by the noisy crowd. Hopefully, no one among those people would notice him, or it would be another one hell of an encounter with the school’s most displeasing soul—Mark Lee.

“Heads-up!”

He halted on his track when he heard the warning, looked up and –

“Hell!” He mumbled. It was too late to dodge when he saw an incoming ball, hitting him straight on the face. “Ouch!”

The students started flocking him, there was also Lee Jeno trying to help him up.

“Lee Donghyuck! Are you okay?” He just nodded, still feeling a bit dizzy.

“I think you should get checked, hyung. You might have gotten whiplash.” Jisung on the side remarked, he said ‘hyung’ as he’s a year younger but is in the same year as them. “Mark hyung exerted a lot on that kick.”

Yes, he fucking exerted a lot, but stupid Mark Lee hit the wrong target… or did he? Donghyuck’s blood started boiling upon the thought that it was intentional.

“Shoot, I’m sorry. I did warn you though!”

He sneered when the devil walked up to him, looking truly sorry, but his eyes seemed mischievous.

“Be careful next time, Lee Minhyung.” It was the only thing he bothered to reply. He wanted to leave immediately but said guy held him by the arms to stop him.

“Okay, if it makes you feel better, why don’t you hit me as well?” Mark said with a lot of confidence, with no further words, he dragged him a few feet away from the crowd. Mark created a distant between them. “Here, I won’t budge… free kick.”

Donghyuck gritted his teeth. He dreamed of doing this for a while now – not just to hit him with a ball, but to actually put Mark in a catapult and shoot him out to the moon.

“What are you waiting for?” Mark asked again. “C’mon.”

“M-Maybe, we can settle this differently.” Jisung said as he walks up to them, while Jeno was trying to disperse the crowd before following them too.

Donghyuck shook a head. “I’m not that low.” And why would he hurt Mark Lee in front of other students? No, he can have his payback in secret, but right now, he has a reputation to uphold. “I’m leaving, Mark.”

“I insist… unless you’re not confident that you can hit me.”

That made him frown. “If you have forgotten it, Mark Lee, I was once part of the soccer team too.”

Yet the idiot only laughed at his annoyance.

“What are you laughing at?”

“You really think I can forget that, when your only reason for being there was—"

Donghyuck’s eyes widened. “Shut up! You’re such an attention whore.”

The brat crossed his arms. “It’s pretty pretentious to say when we know you actually love giving me attention.”

“Dream on!”

“Hah!” Mark smirked, eyes shining with playfulness. “Glad to say you’re never in my dreams.” He then looked at him from head to toe and laughed at the sight of his shoes. “I see, you’re afraid your shoes won’t hold for longer if you kick the ball.”

Donghyuck clenched his fists as he looked down at the pair he was wearing. It was old and worn out… but was it his fault for not having enough money to buy new ones?

“What’s the matter? Are your parents too poor to buy you a new pair?”

“Oh no, Mark, not that.” Jeno said, scratching the back of his head. Jisung also made a comment about how it was foul.

On the other hand, Donghyuck felt like he was poured with ice water at the mention of his parents. He stiffened and felt his cheeks burned—anger bubbling up inside him.

“Lee Donghyuck.” Jeno turned to him, wearing an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry, Mark doesn’t know that your parents are—"

“Dead.” He finished what the other was saying. “He doesn’t know my parents are dead… it’s okay, Mark Lee doesn’t know jackshit about anyone anyway, and even if he does, I doubt he would care.”

Jeno and Jisung bowed while chanting ‘please forgive him’ and Donghyuck’s gaze stayed on them, even when he heard Mark’s gasp, and he saw the other’s face softened from his peripheral vision, he didn’t bother to look at him. He doesn’t want to see guilt in his eyes… because Mark Lee is not entitled to feel sorry or guilty.

“I – I… I don’t know… I’m—”

“I'll see you later, Lee Minhyung.” He quickly said, cutting off what the moron was about to say. He would rather not hear his sorry… he doesn’t want that bastard’s pity. Likewise, he just walked away.

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

“Finally! My best buddy!”

The first thing to greet Donghyuck when he opened the door of their classroom was his best friend, Jaemin. The guy’s eyes are wrinkling from smiling too much.

“What’s with you getting all softie with me?” he asked while taking a seat beside the now pouting boy.

“Yah, Haechan!” He covered his eyes from Jaemin’s yell. “You’re making it look like I’m not soft with you! If I’m not, then how do you think I’d be when it comes to other people? You are one Jaemin-privileged rat.”

“Tch.” He chuckled. “Other people here think you are cute and adorable, Nana but if they’ll be given the chance to encounter your mouth, I’m sure they’d think twice before describing you as that…”

Nana and Haechan, those who are close to them are the only ones who call them that.

Jaemin let out a very dramatic sigh and turned to him. “I just want to ask if you’ll be happy to have me as your guest later? You know, sleep over?”

“Oh!” Donghyuck nodded knowingly. “That’s why you’re acting all cute right now because you need something from me.”

“You’re making it sound like I’m a user! I just don’t want to be alone, and crashing in your house sounds like the perfect getaway. I’ll be lonely all by myself and the remedy is in front of me!” Jaemin motioned him. “It’s you!”

Perfect getaway? Right. Playing video games, movie marathon, and snacking is the perfect getaway for Jaemin.

“You’re all alone again?” he asked, curiosity peeking obviously from his heightened eyebrows.

“Do you really have to ask?” The other crossed his arms. “Mom left this morning for a business trip, it will take a week, Haechan! A whole damn week! And dad’s too busy to even visit. If I want to see him, then I should visit him instead. Urgh—No fucking way! I might end up killing his entire family! They should have at least left me with a sibling before getting divorced.”

Donghyuck scowled. “Fine!” He agreed, trying to sound not sympathetic because the last thing his best friend wants is pity.

Jaemin might be cheerful and all, but it makes it easier for him to hide his past wounds. He was from a broken family – the usual stuff like his father cheated on his workaholic mother and his stepmother was the worst kind of bitch. He also has step siblings who are wicked and love pissing the hell out of him. You’d get a picture that he’s the male version of Cinderella, however it’s A BIG NO! Jaemin is not the kind to get defeated easily, be it physical fights or stupid fights—especially stupid fights.

“You can sleep over our house. I know Taeyong hyung would love that too.” It’s just the two of them living together anyway.

“Uwaah~! You really are my savior.”

Just when his best friend was about to jump on him from excitement, the classroom door opened. The former pouted the moment their Math teacher, Professor Kim Minseok walked in. “Here we go again! Geez! Having Mathematics early in the morning makes my brain more twisted than it ever was.”

Donhyuck let out a chuckle. “If I remember it right, in middle school, you tried your best in Math more than any other subject just becau—ow!” he wasn’t given a chance to finish his sentence when the other flicked his forehead.

“There’s no way you’d say that again without me slapping your mouth, get it?” Jaemin smirked. “That makes us even, don’t you think? You once tried to enter the soccer team for obsession too.”

“Good morning class!” Professor Kim’s energetic voice shuts both Donghyuck and Jaemin up.

“Hey! What’s the answer to #4?” After spending a lot of time on question number 4, Donghyuck decided to copy whatever answer Jaemin had. “I can’t get the answer…” he whispered, eyes glued on the teacher, making sure that he wouldn't notice.

“Tell me you love me, and I’ll tell you…”

Donghyuck wasn’t looking at his friend, but he knows the tricky rabbit is smiling cunningly right now… like he always does. “Son of a bitch.” He muttered.

“No. My mom’s great pal, you should try son of a jerk—or bastard, my father would fit very well.”

“That’s supposed to be an expression!” He whisper-shouted.

“Whatever. Time’s running, you love me or not?”

Donghyuck scratched his head. “Fine! Fine, I love you!” he cringed. “Now what?”

“I love you too and that’s 26.6° for you, look here for the solution.” Jaemin slightly raised his paper to let him take a peak.

“Eww! And thank you~” Donghyuck wrote down the answer and the solution with a smile.

“Oh! I almost forgot!” Professor Kim exclaimed out of the blue as they were in the middle of answering the given seat work. They all lifted their heads to look at the teacher.

“Starting tomorrow, you’ll be having Math with Class B since Mrs. Ka—”

“Really?!”

“OMG!! You’re the best, Professor Kim!”

“Finally, we’re talking about hot guys!”

“Will it be till the end of the school year?”

“I hope so.”

The poor teacher didn’t have the chance to finish when the whole class started to make noises… mostly girls, getting all excited because Class B is full of ‘hot guys’ as they have said earlier. Donghyuck didn’t know if it was an insult or what, since the only boys in Class A consist of him, Jaemin, Jungwoo, Sohee, and Shotaro.

“These traitors are being insensitive.” He heard his best friend whisper. “Can you please stop talking like that in front of us, hunnies?”

Donghyuck snickered when after whispering the first sentence, Jaemin pretended to smile sweetly and proceeded to say the last phrase to their classmates.

“Don’t misunderstand oppa, class A boys will always be the cutest, but we’re just happy!” Uchinaga Aeri giggled.

Jaemin smiled and raised his chin. “Right, I’m an oppa.”

“Okay, okay! Calm now ladies.” Professor Kim raised a hand. “I understand that you’re happy about this, but I still have 20 minutes before break so, if you could keep it in just a little longer, I’d be very grateful.” The noise quieted down, and the teacher continued what he was saying earlier. “As I was saying, Mrs. Kang starting tomorrow is on maternity leave and the faculty decided to pass it to me. Considering you’re all excited, I hope that you’ll treat them very well.”

“Yes, Ssaem!”

“Good! Now, go back to your work.”

As the rest of the students got back to their seat work, Jaemin shot him a sly grin. “Oh I’ll treat them very well, Lee Jeno is up for a nasty surprise if he does something stupid.”

Yep, Jaemin is a big anti-Jeno, the usual best friends vs. best friends trope yet the cause of Jaemin and Jeno’s quarrel isn’t clear to him. It’s as if one day came, and they just started hating each other.

“I wonder why you hate Lee Jeno. You used to get along well.”

Jaemin shrugs. “As you were with Mark but birds of the same feathers do flock together. If you started hating Mark Lee because he’s arrogant, then you can just assume that Jeno is as arrogant as him.”

Donghyuck shook his head. Talking about Mark Lee… as if having that jerk in the same school wasn’t enough. Fate decided he still has to suffer and went on to put that reptile into their Math class. He’s always been the worst in Math, with Mark around, may his last two brain cells be able to solve the x and ys.

After morning classes, Donghyuck found himself in the school cafeteria, with Spaghetti on his plate, but instead of focusing on eating, his eyes were busy darting back and forth from what he refers to as the most displeasing soul in the campus, Mark Lee.

Looking at him from this point, the guy seems… okay, innocent event. He was eating peacefully, smiles at anyone who greets him, even the so-called nerds who are usually bullied by campus jocks. He seems okay with everyone—yet when their eyes met, Mark only put on a smug grin before rolling his eyes and shaking his head.

He's the only one Mark hates.

“What is spaghetti when Mark Lee is in the area looking more edible than any other foods in the cafeteria?”

*COUGH COUGH*

Donghyuck retreated his eyes back to Jaemin and shot him a glare. “What are you yapping about?”

“We know he’s cute, Haech, but this isn’t the right time to daydream, you have to eat.” Jaemin intentionally made it sound dramatic.

“You must be shitting on me, Na Jaemin!”

“What?” his friend asked, acting all clueless. “You’ve been throwing glances at him for quite a while now. You must be checking out his sexy ass, right?”

Donghyuck scrunched his nose in disgust, not believing what the latter had said. “Seriously? Sexy ass?”

Dude is flat as a plank!

“Then is it his cute face? Or his arms? His biceps?”

Eww. “I’m not a pervert!”

“But your eyes definitely are…”

Donghyuck threw a glance at Mark once again. The latter is now laughing with his friends and even with just that, he looks—

He pouted and shook his head. “He’s not even that… attractive.”

“There’s no way in hell I’d believe you when you pout with that look in your eyes!”

“Okay!” he raised his hands as if surrendering. “Okay, he’s attractive—so what? He isn’t attracting me in any way, so that’s out of the question.”

“You seem like you’re devouring him with your eyes.”

Donghyuck massaged his temple. “You’re insane.”

“Oh, sorry… then maybe you like it more if he’s the one to devour you? Rawr!” the other growled at him, scratching a hand on the air like a lion. “Don’t worry, we’ll be having him tomorrow in class.”

“Fuck you.”

“You can’t”

He sighed. “I’m upset with him… He made fun of me this morning because apparently ‘my parents are too poor to buy me a new pair of shoes’.” He quoted and unquoted. “Just when I thought he wouldn’t disappoint me anymore, he goes on and does something worse… but that’s okay, it’s not like I’m a victim. I upset him too.”

At the mention of Donghyuck's parents, Jaemin immediately wiped off the stupid smirk that was plastered on his lips. He loves dissing his best friend, but he wasn’t that insensitive to still put on a cunning smile when he knows how sad Haechan must have been when someone made fun of them.

Especially since the events surrounding his parents’ death were dark… really dark and he saw first hand how it broke his friend… they were killed after all.

“I-I’m sorry!” He said, now serious. “He really is an asshole…”

Donghyuck saw how Jaemin’s playfulness instantly vanished. “I wish Lee Jeno would come here to ruin your day!” He joked, wanting to lift the mood and at the mention of that name, the other's lips contorted.

“He can try, but I won’t lose to him today, if he ever messed up with me right now, I’d hit his ass with my best shot…”

“I didn’t expect you'd like to top.”

“Yah! It’s not what I meant!” Jaemin defended, cheeks getting red from what he said. “Y – You’re stupid! It was an expression! Who said about me t-topping… I’m not even—I don’t even like him!”

Donghyuck laughed, he knows his best friend all too well and there are only a few things that could crush Jaemin’s composure and one of them is Lee Jeno. Just a perverted joke about the latter made his best friend stammer instantly. Shady words come out of his mouth naturally but was there a sassy comeback? None.

“Why are you acting so shy suddenly?!”

“Fuck you!”

“Stop being a pervert now, Nana. You’re not fucking anyone here.” Donghyuck laughed, entertained at his friend’s flustered face, and Jaemin with a flustered face meant a defeated Jaemin. It was satisfying to finally have the upper hand against the other, considering how tactless he was just a moment ago.

“Ugh! If you’re not my friend, I would have punched you already.” Jaemin threatened.

“But I am, and you can’t do anything about it. Now eat and stop talking about who’d top or—”

“Shut up! I never said I’d top!” Jaemin whisper-shouted.

Donghyuck nodded, voice was sarcastic. “Okay then bottom, let’s eat.” Jaemin just glared at him as he laughed some more. “Serves you right, Nana.”

But he only got a flick on the forehead as a reply.

He really did know how to get on Jaemin’s nerves, but why does he have to be flicked in the forehead every time he tries?

“You’re brutal.”

“I would just eat if I were you.”

He just giggled again and focused on eating, not minding the pair of eyes that are now staring at him.

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

“Yay sleep over~! Is Taeyong hyung coming home with us?” Jaemin asked as Donghyuck was busy putting aside his stuff, preparing to go home.

“Nope, he said they’ll be having a quick meeting for the upcoming school fest, and he will also need to go to the library to do some homework.”

“Oh! Then, can we go to the mall first?!”

Donghyuck raised a brow. “Why?”

“We'll buy you a new pair of shoes!” His friend pulled him, but he escaped from the grip.

If he wants to buy a new one, he would need to apply for a part-time job first. His student aid money can’t cover everything.

“I don't have the money yet, Nana.”

Jaemin’s eyes rolled heavenward, hands resting over his waist. “I'm not gonna drag your ass here from there if I'm gonna make you pay. Think of it as a gift!”

Money isn’t much of a problem for him, since his mother got a nice job as a creative director of some company while his father is a shareholder in a successful architectural firm and also owns some various businesses. Since they can’t give him much attention, they try their best to cover all his needs with financial support.

Yet even so, Donghyuck doesn’t want to seem like he’s taking advantage. “N-No… you don't have to.”

“Oh, please! Stop acting so shy now! We'll buy you a new pair in my account whether you like it or not. It’s not much considering the times I ended up in your house because I don’t want to be alone. I know you will do the same for me if we're in the opposite situation.”

“But—”

“No buts. I may come off as a sick bitch sometimes, but I promised to always have your back and help you in every way possible.”

With what he heard, Donghyuck couldn’t stop himself from smiling. He feels like hugging his best friend for what the other had said.

“Damn! Now stop smiling like that… besides I got five out of twenty on that stupid quiz because your sweaty feet smell like a warfare.”

But hearing Jaemin's last sentence, he smacked him instead.

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

“Thank you, Jaemin-ah! You’re cute when you’re nice!” Donghyuck cooed.

“And you’re not cute when you lie.” Jaemin shook his head. “Let’s buy some food before heading home.”

They were about to get out of the shop when something caught Jaemin’s attention.

“Oh shiiit!”

“What?” Donghyuck looked back at his best friend who suddenly halted, making him stop in his tracks too.

“Please tell me it isn’t the moron out there.”

He eyed the direction his friend was pointing at, and a sudden smirk tugged on his lips. “Shit for you, indeed!”

“So, it’s really him? Great!” Jaemin said as he slapped his forehead.

“Let’s just go before he takes notice of us. That would be worse.” Yeah, A LOT worse, and Donghyuck never dreamed of getting in between a bickering Jaemin and Jeno as they have a tendency to attract people’s attention and he’d be the one to end up in embarrassment.

He started to tug his friend and head to the nearest fast food named ‘Hot Sauce’ for a take out. The service was quick and just when they were about to head for the exit of the fast food, though, Jaemin bumped into something hard. What could it be? He lifted his gaze, but to his dismay, Jaemin saw the most stupid smile in this whole fucked up universe.

“Hey, ugly rabbit.”

Jaemin swears Jeno’s smile brings sunshine, but the word he speaks bring him wrath.

“smelLee Jenhoe.” He retorts back, but the other remained grinning.

Jeno’s gaze fell on the paper bags they were carrying. “I didn’t know that rabbits eat chickens?”

“Huh? What? Bark, bark, bark?”

“You think you’re funny, huh?”

“I’m also pretty.”

“You mean petty.”

Donghyuck rolled his eyes on the side. The world shifted, and the two have forgotten about everything else. “Maybe you want to save that for later?” He asked, but they just ignored him.

“Oh my God, I hate your guts!” – Jaemin

“Because you’re gutless. You’re a coward.” – Jeno

“I am not!”

“You are. Behind my back, you stole—”

“I never did! Fuck you, Lee Jeno.”

“I’d rather not.”

Jeno’s comeback made Jaemin’s cheeks burn, but he chose not to pay attention to it. “G-Good! You should keep that dirty dick inside your pants. Anyway—” he waved his hand in front of the former, brushing off the topic. “We’re leaving.”

Jaemin held Donghyuck by the arm and started walking away, muttering a string of incoherent curses.

-s-e-i-m-a-r-i-

“What was that earlier?” Donghyuck asked once they were at home while waiting for Taeyong.

He’s been thinking about that for a while now.

“Huh?”

“Lee Jeno called you a coward and for what I understand, he’s accusing you of stealing… something.”

‘It’s actually someone…’ Jaemin corrected in his mind. “That’s nothing, the dog just wants to piss me off. What would I even steal from him?”

Donghyuck just nodded.

“I’m home!”

The topic was quickly forgotten when the door opened and there entered Taeyong with a big smile on his face.

“President Hyung!” Jaemin greeted.

“Oh, you’re here, Jaemin-ah!”

Jaemin showed his signature smile with a scratch on his head, trying to act cute in front of the older. “I’ll be sleeping over here, maybe until next week, if it’s okay with you, hyung! You see, mom’s on a business trip again.”

The newly arrived sat on the couch, still wearing the same huge smile that was plastered on his face since the moment he walked in. “It’s okay. Guaranteed of course that you won’t cook without me in the kitchen.”

It was one of their sleep over two years ago, Donghyuck, Taeyong and their two other friends – the cousins Chenle & Ten were still sleeping and Jaemin tried to cook breakfast for everyone. They woke up with a thick smoke and eggs that were scattered on the floor.

Chenle is a friend of Hyuck and Jaemin, while Ten is Taeyong’s best friend.

“By the way, hyung, he gave me a gift.” Donghyuck presented the box of shoes to his hyung.

“Aww~ you’re really sweet, Jaemin-ah but is it okay for you to—”

Jaemin raised his arms. “Mom wouldn’t mind, besides she nags me all the time, saying how I’m too much of a burden to you guys for always running here whenever I wanted to. Really, it’s okay.”

“Auntie is such a sweetheart—" Donghyuck cooed, making Jaemin proudly raise his chin.

“Yeah, yeah, it’s in the genes.”

“—while her son is a sweet little monster.”

“YAH!”

Donghyuck laughed at his best friend’s reaction, and they started to tickle each other.

Taeyong chuckled at their childishness. “You guys, continue that. I’d just change my clothes. Be sure to change your uniforms before we eat dinner too, okay?” He didn’t wait for an answer and headed to his room, still smiling as wide.

As they were eating, Donghyuck suddenly felt Jaemin slightly kicked his leg under the table. He threw a glance at his friend and the other was ushering him to look at Taeyong… and he obliged just to see the older, still smiling too much and, to be honest, he noticed it since his hyung’s arrival.

“You’re smiling too much, hyung. You’ve been like that since the moment you entered the house. Did something good happen during the meeting? Or when you were in the library?”

At the comment, Taeyong immediately reduced his smile and cleared his throat. “Nah. Nothing of worth to you Haechan.”

Donghyuck gestured at Jaemin signaling that it’s his time to ask.

“By the way Taeyongie hyung, what was your homework about?”

Taeyong shrugs. “Just some boring stuff. It was English, I couldn’t finish it at the school library, but a stranger saw me working on it in the subway… fortunately, he knows English very well.”

“Stranger, hm?” Donghyuck smirked. His instinct tells him it was the reason for his hyung's unexplained happiness. “Sounds like a meet cute.”

“Cute, huh, Lee Donghyuck? Why don't you tell me what cuteness happened this morning?” His Taeyong hyung's tone was sarcastic and he only calls him by his real name if he’s serious. “I heard you were bickering with Lee Minhyung again. That makes me wonder why, every time I see that kid, he seems nice and all.”

Donghyuck snorted because Mark really had that aura where you would think he’s nice. Until he opens up his mouth and you will only hear bullshits.

“We’re not really bickering. It was just… a f-friendly quarrel.”

Taeyong perched up a brow. “Make sure it’s just friendly… if anything happens, you know you can tell me, right?” Well, it’s because he hears rumors.

“I know hyung.” He pouted, wanted so bad to end the conversation about that jerk.

“Sometimes, I actually feel that Haechan would replace me with Mark. They’re just really that friendly with each other.” Jaemin butts in, trying to cover up for him.

Taeyong rolled his eyes at the two. “Fine! Fine! I will pretend I believe you both 100% but remember, Hyuckie, I have eyes all over the campus.”

Donghyuck scratched his nape. This is why he loves doing paybacks in secret because he doesn’t want his hyung to know.

“I’m a good boy, hyung and as you’ve said, Mark is nice—what are we gonna even fight about? We were once soccer teammates.”

“Yes, and I can never forget that they once performed on stage together—was that 2 years ago?”

Donghyuck wanted to roll his eyes at what Jaemin said, but he covered it with a nod and smile. That happened two years prior during a Christmas Party program. He was to sing “The First Snow” and “Mistletoe” but Wonbin, the guitarist, had an emergency at the last minute. The music club was able to get Mark Lee to replace him, they only practiced once and performed perfectly together.

Taeyong looked at the two of them for a while before he sighed. “Alright! I believe you. And since you guys bought dinner, I’ll be the one to wash the dishes.” He stood up and gather the plates, but before walking away, he glanced at his brother again. “But whatever happens, if you’re having some problems in school, I have to know. I didn’t sign up for it… but I’m now your guardian.”

This time, his hyung’s voice was dead serious and Donghyuck can only nod. Feeling a bit guilty.

Right. His Taeyong hyung is the only guardian that’s left to him.

Three years ago, there were people who trespassed their home searching for something to steal. Their parents were killed in front of them, with his Taeyong hyung's hands covering his eyes because his own ones were shivering out of fear. They couldn’t do anything, there were knives and guns pointing at them, and they were also beaten badly.

Police were late, but at least they got there even before the thieves could kill the two then middle-schooler too.

After the funeral, Donghyuck didn’t go to school for almost a month, he didn't want to eat or even talk to anyone. His hyung was sad too, but he promised that he’ll look after him… Taeyong never broke that promise.

“Hyung, I thought you want this gay show on, what are you doing with your phone?” Donghyuck whined when he noticed his Taeyong hyung’s focus wasn’t on the screen of Jaemin's laptop. “I can pause it if you like.”

One thing he hates the most? It’s people not focusing their attention in a good show and then missing out to some good scenes. This ‘Chen Qing Ling’ his hyung suggested seems promising.

Taeyong scratched his nape. “Sorry, Haechan, Aeri just texted. She said that she’s organizing the events for the upcoming school fest, and she’s been asking some questions.”

“Oh, hold on!” Donghyuck paused the show. “I remember, school fest is near.”

“Yes! OMG, last school fest, we were assigned to do props for the café.” Jaemin giggled as he recalled some things. “The only good thing I remember was when I listed Jeno and Huang Renjun on the blind date.”

Renjun was known in school for being hotheaded and scary, so Jaemin deliberately chose him. The date was hella awkward and a bit chaotic, the two ended up having a small quarrel when Jeno mistook Renjun’s food for his. They still ended up on good terms, though.

Taeyong laughed. “I’m sure it would be fun again. However, I still have one ongoing problem. Council members want to have a costume, and we still haven’t decided about the theme. We will have a voting this Friday.”

Both Donghyuck and Jaemin’s ears perked up at this.

“The only correct answer is anime characters, hyung!” His brother said.

“That’s cute, but they want something with a twist.” - Taeyong

Jaemin raised a brow. “Then cosplay but gender switch.”

Taeyong snickered at that. “Hah, I’m sure the members won’t agree to it.”

“Really, hyung? Why don't we make a bet? You put that suggestion and see if you’re right, or I’m right.” Jaemin challenged.

“Oh, well, I’m pretty confident.” Taeyong nodded. “And even so, I will make a pretty girl. What’s the consequences if you lost Jaemin-ah?”

Jaemin smirked. “I’ll pay the jail booth myself to be handcuffed with Lee Jeno for 3 hours.”

“That’s easy.” Donghyuck whined at the side. “You have some thick skin, Nana. Of course, you can do that.”

“Okay,” Jaemin raised his fore finger. “I’ll even marry him in the wedding booth. The largest package… w-with all that rings and stuff. We will be husbands for a day, our love language is going to be physical attack.”

Donghyuck and Taeyong cracked up.

“Alright then. Deal’s a deal.” The oldest of the three said, still laughing, then he turned to his younger brother. “Haechan, you’re in the deal too.”

Donghyuck’s smile quickly vanished. “No, hyung!” He eagerly shakes his head and the two laughed and tickled him to the ground, saying that even if he doesn’t want to, he’s already in it too.

“If we lose, I’ll even put Haechan and Mark in the jail booth too!”

Jaemin said and Taeyong easily nodded.

Haechan pouts at that. They can say what they want, in the end, they would still succumb to his cuteness and would let him get away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 99 12
Where in Donghyuck and Mark had suffered from past experiences but when they were together that dark feeling disappeared. Started: 03 / 19 / 21 Ended...
66.3K 3.5K 14
[COMPLETED] donghyuck's way of telling mark what he felt was through writing on sticky notes. started: 19.05.2019 ended: 18.06.2019 written & publish...
2.5K 116 24
Lee donghyuck was the type of person that you wouldn't recognize if u saw his life behind closed doors. You'd think he's a spoiled stuck up brat afte...
4.7K 319 37
| Sungchan x Donghyuck | "Please wait, Donghyuck. Wait for me," ★彡 In his little world, Sungchan was struggling to get out the hole he was trapped i...