Dragon Tamer - Book 1

By EstherDramaqueen

Marcie is an oddity in her village, the daughter of a widower with both village and outsider blood in her vei... More

Chapter 1!
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69 ;)
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81

Chapter 36

45.8K 3K 158
By EstherDramaqueen

They arrived at the village in uncomfortable silence that had persisted despite attempts from Jin and Aldren to break it.

Sebastian had abandoned his previous efforts of civility and Marcie was responding with offended indifference.

She led them through the trees and onto the crest of the hill that overlooked the village. Glancing at her charges she saw them all blink against the uninterrupted winter sunlight and gaze upon their long forsaken prize.

Jin sighed heavily and raised his arms above his head to stretch. All three of them looked like they might have whooped and cheered if they had not been so tired. The last stretch had been tough. She had pushed them to travel faster and for longer periods so to rid herself of their company all the quicker. Well, Sebastian's company mostly. The others she wouldn't mind continuing their association.

Unexpectedly embarrassed by her proximity to them, Marcie moved away from the others and began to sing a song proclaiming that visitors were here. It was one she had not sang in a while and she stumbled over the words a little until she found the right ones.

The villagers stopped what they were doing and turned towards the hill, some disappearing to gather their friends and relatives, other voices joined hers. The old language drifting over the valley and becoming lost in the dense trees of the forest.

She brought the song to a close and motioned the men to follow her down the hill, but Aldren caught her arm to stop her.

"You speak the Gods Tongue" he said in the Old language urgently,

Marcie blinked, "Of course" she replied, also in the Old Language, "We all speak it" she gestured at the gathered village people.

Aldren released her arm with a frown. Marcie tilted her head inquisitively at him but when he offered no explanation she continued down the hill, feeling the others follow her.

In her mind she felt Dara mourn her leaving the forest and saw how he watched her from the safety of a tall tree. She also felt his fascination with the village, it being a place denied him, and how he longed to follow her into its unknown depths. She urged him to go back home and warned him of the dangers of others seeing him, expressing her own inherent fear to him. Dara was so terrified of this that he leapt off the branch as fast as he could and flew over the trees back to the the cave, and sanctuary.

The usual clamour that accompanied her return from hunting trips was not present as she led the strange men down the hill.

The villagers moved out of her way, staring intently at the strangers, whispering among themselves, their eyes full of suspicion. The children pointed excitedly at the horses having only seen paintings and descriptions of them in story books.

Marcie kept her head high, avoiding all eye contact, they kept away from her, even the children, so disturbed were they by the unexpected visitors.

She kept walking until she saw Roor's shaggy mane of hair approaching above the villagers heads. He stopped in front of her, his expression wary.

She greeted him in the traditional manner and he returned it after a moments pause.

"Who is this you have brought before us, No Ones Bride?" he asked after a pause,

Marcie heard Jin snort behind her and resisted the urge to turn and glare at him.

"Leader Roor" she said, adopting a formal manner of speech and raising her voice so all those gathered would be able to hard her, "I bring before you, Aldren of Thoughts Burrow, his man servant Sebastian and Jin-" she turned back to Jin when she said this, unsure what his title was, he answered this by saying,

"No title" happily and seemingly unconcerned,

"What is the purpose of their visit?" Roor asked, speaking to Marcie but keeping his eyes on the men.

Marcie couldn't quite remember what it was Aldren had told her when they first met, so she turned to him and motioned him to answer the question. He stepped round her and bowed at the waist respectfully, and regaled the villagers with his lengthy and flowery speech of his and his companions.

Roor did not appear to be listening, he kept his eyes on Marcie until Aldren finished speaking then turned to the noble,

"Well met, Aldren of Thoughts burrow. We welcome you. There be beds and hot food at the tavern, The Barman will take care of any of your needs. However I must ask you turn in your weapons" he eyed their swords,

Sebastian looked ready to protest but Aldren quietened him by unbuckling his sword belt and handing it to Roor, at his direction Jin followed and after a tense moment Sebastian did also,

Aldren addressed Roor, "I ask you take care of those" he indicated the weapons, "They hold significant value"

Roor nodded then raised his voice "They shall be kept in a secure place and if anything should befall them I will take personal responsibility"

The villagers set about muttering.

Aldren inclined his head, "It would be most appreciated sir"

Roor acknowledged him with a grunt then turned to the small child at his side, his son, Armin,

"Armin will show you the way to the tavern" Armin grinned and began walking down the hill, expecting them to follow.

Aldren turned back to Marcie, "My thanks again my lady" he said, bowing low again,

"Yeah thanks" Jin said happily

Sebastian said nothing

All of them trailed after the boy and the rest of the villagers followed, murmuring excitedly.

Roor watched them leave, Marcie stayed with him, sure he would wish to know the details of how she came about to be in the company of three outsiders.

When everyone was gone he said

"Come with me" and walked towards The Hall.

The Hall was a meeting place for the whole village a large building with a high ceiling and a stage in the middle where Roor conducted meetings, weddings and summer court. A large stone fountain of the Goddess stood in front of the steps, polished white. The Hall was the most well kept of the village buildings apart from the Tavern.

Marcie had only been in there a handful of times, she chose not to go to summer court in case someone took offence, but she also found the building a little intimidating, so big. Even times when the whole village was in attendance it had room for more.

Marcie followed Roor over the polished oak floor, past the stage and through a small door to the side of the Hall that led to Roor's private meeting room. This was where he usually dealt with small disagreements and business deals as well as where marriage contracts were finalised.

The walls were covered with an array of dusty books on worn shelves, somehow Roor did not strike Marcie as someone who read a lot. A small fire burned in the grate and small table lay in the middle of the room with a large chair on one side facing the door and a smaller chair facing away from her.

Roor took the big chair so Marcie took the other.

"Tell me how you came about those men" Roor asked without much ado.

Marcie shrugged, "Not much to tell, they followed the misdirection of an old Forest addled trader who forgot who was the real master of The Forgotten. They lost their whole party and wandered onto a new trader route I've been scouting. Its the only reason they alive"

"Did they say what they wanted? What they were after?" Roor asked,

"They said something flowery bout wanting to observe the wonders of our village or something, but they warrior types, don't look like no explorers looking to experience a poorer way of life" she said,

Roors at back on his chair, "I agree. I don't trust them"

He stared into the distance for a few minutes, enough time for Marcie to squirm uncomfortable in her chair,

"I need you to go tell Dafne they have arrived" he said eventually,

Marcie frowned, she opened her mouth to ask why but Roor slashed his hand through the air,

"Don'task me why, just do this for me. Please" he added as an afterthought,

Marcie stood, thumped her fist to her chest then left, she looked over her shoulder at the door. Roor's bushy eyebrows were pulled down low, he looked troubled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

577 52 32
Life could not have gotten more complicated for Willow and Moira. Willow was a university going student with her eyes set on the future. In her final...
11.9K 619 11
Three mystical dragons. One legendary dragonlord. Take part in the epic adventure four friends embark on to the deepest parts of the forest. Experie...
166 1 32
The realm of the fairy's, a world alien to mortals, filled with beings of legends and folklore. It is a land only a hairs breadth away from earth, ye...
127 4 1
Pierce has never liked his life, and the only friends he had was Oliver and his pet cat, Koi. One day Pierce decided to venture into the dark forest...