Dragon Age Origins: I Am Cous...

By LavenderShae

~~~BOOK ONE OF THE DRAGON AGE SERIES~~~ Katria Cousland has grown up in nobility, betrayal against her family... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Betrayal
Chapter 2: Ostagar
Chapter 3: The Joining
Chapter 4: Breath Before the Plunge
Chapter 5: The Disaster at Ostagar
Chapter 6: The Last of the Grey Wardens
Chapter 7: The Arl of Redcliffe. Part 1
Chapter 8: The Arl of Redcliffe. Part 2
Authors Note! advice?
Chapter 9: The Tower
Chapter 10: Nightmares
Chapter 12: The Unending Cycle
Chapter 13: Haven
Chapter 14: The Urn of Sacred Ashes
Update!
Chapter 15: Return to Redcliffe
Chapter 16: The Dalish
Chapter 17: The Nature of The Beast
Chapter 18: Darkness is Coming
Chapter 19: Obstacles in Our Path
Chapter 20: Orzammar
Chapter 21: Nightfall
Chapter 22: Into Darkness
Chapter 23: The Dead Trenches
Chapter 24: The Anvil and The Paragon
Chapter 25: Breathe
Chapter 26: Captured
Chapter 27: Old Friends
Chapter 28: Revenge
Chapter 29: The Landsmeet
Chapter 30: So it Begins
Chapter 31: A City In Flames
Chapter 32: The End of All Things
Chapter 33: The Ultimate Sacrifice
Epilogue
Announcement

Chapter 11: Broken Circle

2K 75 7
By LavenderShae

*Notes*

Thanks for the support in reading my book. I'll try to make the rest of my book have different words and sound more professional. Thank you again(:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 11: Broken Circle

I opened my eyes slowly and look around, I was back in the Tower, curled up and half-asleep, but back none-the-less. I could hear Morrigan grumbling behind me, I can't say that I really missed that; I pushed myself off the ground and walked over to Niall's body. I looked down at it solemnly and grabbed the Litany out of his pack.

"What's that?" Leliana asked as she struggled to stand.

"The Litany," I explained shortly, holding a small piece of paper out. Alistair was helping Wynne get back on her feet. She smiled at me and cracked her back.

"Are you all right?" Alistair said, setting his hand sweetly on my shoulder, I smiled weakly and nodded.

"We should keep moving," Wynne said delicately, I turned on my heel and walked up another set of stairs. "The Harrowing chamber is the next floor," Wynne said in a low tone, I drew in a deep breath and walked through the door that led onto the fifth floor; there was no bodies on this floor but the room was covered in the disgusting sacks of flesh that grew on the floors and walls and up statues like an affliction. I avoided looking at these walls for long because it made me feel squeamish, we walked through several rooms and confronted only a couple demons.

"Wynne," I said briskly, and turned on my heel to face her. "What am I supposed to do when we face Uldred?" I asked as I walked over to her.

"I will recite the Litany, if you wish." She said gently, but still with rigidness. I acknowledged her idea and handed her the Litany, she studied it carefully then waved for us to continue. We walked through another passage which ended with a small set of stairs, I turned around and looked at Wynne who had a grim look on her face. I grabbed the door and haltingly opened it, we walked up a few stairs and into a very small room that had another staircase on the other side that led the way into the Harrowing chamber, I walked gently into the room and looked around vigilantly, in the corner of the room a brilliant barrier was surrounding a Templar, he was bent down on one knee beseeching the Maker to save him, his short, curly strawberry blonde drapped onto this forhead. I arched my eyebrow and walked over to the barrier slowly, the Templar saw me and jumped up, backing away as far as he could get from me.

"Why do you torment me with these visions?" The Templar asked hopelessly, holding his hand against his eyes, blocking his vision.

"Get away, demon. I will not let you put her into my mind! I will not fall for your trickery!" The Templar said with conviction as he knelt back onto his knee. I looked down at him painfully.

He seemed familiar, but I couldn't exactly place him. Maybe a Templar who came through Highever? I couldn't really see his face. 

"I am not a demon, I'm here to try and save the Circle," I said kindly as I knelt down his level, he looked up at me skeptically, his auburn eyes burning into mine. I winced at the pain that was in them. His eyes were soft and still familiar. I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to place him. "I'm Katria," I said gently and smiled at him reassuringly. The Templar sighed with relief and stood up slowly. I knew this man from somewhere.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly.

"The boy is exhausted," Wynne explained as she walked up beside me, "And this cage, I've never seen anything like it." Wynne said, looking amazed at the barrier that held the Templar inside.

"I'm here to help." I said sweetly, the Templar just glared up at me solemnly.

"Enough visions! If anything left in you is human, kill me now and stop this game!" he begged.

"He's been tortured... and has probably been denied food and water, I can tell." Leliana explained hastily,

"I can help, I have-" Leliana was interrupted.

"Don't touch me! Get away!" The Templar yelled, "Filthy blood mages, getting into my head... I will not break... I'd rather die." He said to himself, his voice breaking.

"Calm down, you're safe now." I said calmly, the Templar stood up confidently.

"I will not listen to anything you say! Now begone!" The Templar closed his eyes as if he was going to will us away, I arched my eyebrow at him as he opened his eyes slowly and stared at us. "Still here? But that's always worked before, I close my eyes, but you are still here." He said astoundingly, I smiled at him warmly.

"I'm real, I'm not a demon or a vision, I'm here to help you." I walked closer to him and he looked me over carefully.

"Don't blame me for being caustious, the voices.. the images... they seem so real. My name is Cullen." He said anxiously. I took a step back from the cage, maybe I was crowding him. "Did Greagoir send you?" He asked quickly, "How did you get up here?" He asked sharply.

"I'm a Grey Warden, I'm trying to save the tower." I responded.

"Good.. kill Uldred. Kill them all for what they've done." The Templar said darkly, "They caged us like animals... looked for ways to break us, I am the only one left." He said sadly, closing his eyes painfully as if he could see the images as clear as he could see me. "They turned some into monsters... there was nothing I could do." He said sadly.

"Where is Irving and the other mages?" Wynne asked quickly, the Templar got a crossed look on his face.

"What?" He asked, shaking his head, "What other mages?" He interrogated.

"Irving and the other mages who fought against Uldred, where are they?" Wynne asked again, slightly more annoyed, the Templar shut his eyes.

"They are in the Harrowing chamber, the sounds that come from there..." His lips curling up in disgust.

"We must hurry." Wynne said sternly walking away from the Templar and towards the stairs.

"You can't save them. You don't know what they've become!" The Templar cried out to Wynne.

"We can't just kill innocent people." I replied calmly, the Templar turned to me with an anguished look on his face.

"They've been surrounded by.. By blood mages whose wicked fingers snake into your mind and corrupt your thoughts!" He said, a sick look on his face.

"His hatred of mages is so intense," Alistair said in a low tone, "the memory of his friends' deaths is still fresh in his mind." Alistair continued.

"You have to end it now, before it's too late." The Templar said to me commandingly, I frowned at him.

"I will not kill an innocent, I want to save everyone who can possibly be save." I said sternly, The Templar walked closer to the barrier.

"Are you really saving anyone by taking this risk?" He asked in a low tone, "To ensure that this horror is ended, to guarantee that no abominations or blood mages live, you must kill everyone up there." He said gesturing to the chamber.

"I'd rather spare maleificarum than risk harming an innocent." I said again in an irked tone.

"Thank you," Wynne said gratefully, "I knew you would make a rational decision." Wynne said.

"Rational? Do you even understand the danger?" The Templar said sternly, crossing his arms glaring at Wynne, "I know full well the danger Ser, but killing innocents because they might be maleficarum is not justice. I know you are angry-" "You know nothing of my anger!" The Templar intruded, "I am thinking about the future of the Circle. Of Ferelden!" The Templar spat out, staring icily at Wynne who frowned.

"I will not have the blood of innocents on my hands," I said soothingly.

"I am just willing to see the painful truth, which you are content to ignore," He pointed at me sternly, "But what can I do?" He trailed off soberly, "As you can see, I am in no position to directly influence your actions, though I would love to deal with the mages myself." He said crossing his arms.

"Perhaps I can free you?" I said looking at the cage carefully.

"Don't waste time on me," The Templar waved his hands, "Deal with Uldred, if that is what you plan to do. Once he is dead, I will be freed." The Templar explained, "Or at least, I should be." He continued doubtfully, I nodded and headed towards the stairs.

"Thank you again," Wynne said thankfully, I acknowledged her and we walked up the stairs.

We came into a large open room, there was a mage standing in the middle of it, lightning was shooting all around the room, we jumped behind pillar. I peaked around to see what was happening; one mage, I inferred that he was Uldred, he was torturing another mage, abominations surrounded him, laughing diabolically, the tortured mage was screaming. There was a group of mages bound close to him, one of them was trying to protect the others.

"Irving," I heard Wynne say to herself, I frowned, we were extremely outnumbered, abominations were already powerful, there had to be at least six here and who knows what Uldred was now. I took in a deep breath and pressed my back against the pillar, Alistair smiled at me weakly trying to calm my nerves. Uldred lifted the mage up into the air and strode over to him, lifting his chin up so his eyes would look into his.

"Do you accept the gift that I offer?" Uldred said in a foul voice, it almost sounded like several voice were talking all at one time, the mage nodded quickly and Uldred smiled viciously, and the mage dropped to the ground. I walked out and coughed, Uldred and the abominations turned to face me.

"Sorry, am I intruding on your blood ritual?" I asked sarcastically, Uldred scowled and walked towards me and smiled at the corner of his mouth.

"Ah... Care to join us in our... revels?" Uldred asked darkly as he paced the floor and studied me carefully, I glared at him darkly. "I am quite impressed that you're alive. Unfortunately, that means you killed my servants." Uldred's voice snaked through the room, "Oh well, they are better dying in the service of their betters." Uldred waved his hand.

"You're turning these people into abominations!" I growled, putting my foot forward, Uldred rolled his eyes.

"I am freeing them! Your Chantry vilifies us, calls us 'abominations' when we have truly reached our full potential." Uldred explained, "Look at them," Uldred gestured to Irving and the other mages, "The Chantry has them convinced, they deny themselves the pleasure of become something glorious!" He said spitefully.

"You're mad!" Wynne stepped forward, "There's nothing glorious about what you've become, Uldred." She spat out, Uldred glared at Wynne.

"Uldred? He is gone." Uldred laughed, "I am Uldred, and yet not Uldred, I am more than what he was." The Uldred continued, Wynne frowned at him. "I could give you this gift Wynne, you and all mages. It would be so much easier if you just accepted it." Uldred crossed his arms and smiled at Wynne, "But some people can be so stubborn." He grumbled, I glared at him.

"I'm glad so many stood up to you." I said, looking at Irving who was watching us carefully.

"And what good did that do? I still won." Uldred said arrogantly, "I even have the first enchanter on my side. Don't I Irving?" Uldred gestured at Irving who was shaking and looked distressed, I looked at him sadly, and stared at Uldred who was smiling.

"What have you done to him?" Wynne said starting to walk over to Irving, Uldred stepped in her way.

"Stop him... He is building an army.. He will destroy the Templars.." Irving struggled.

"You're a sly little fox, Irving, telling on me like that." Uldred chortled, "I thought he was starting to turn." Uldred frowned at Irving who looked up slowly and glared at him.

"N-Never!" Irving said in a loud whisper, straining his voice.

"That's enough out of you." Uldred waved his arm and looked back at me, "Do you think I am stupid?" Uldred growled, I arched my eyebrows at him. "I know you are a pawn of the Templars. You are a thorn in my side and I must remove you before you fester." Uldread said sternly, I gagged slightly.

"Did you have to use such a disgusting analogy?" I mumbled repulsively, Alistair chuckled.

"No, but it served on getting my point across. I cannot let you be, but killing you... such a waste." Uldred frowned, "Your raw potential with the strength of a demon behind it, would.. would be unstoppable!" Uldred said excitedly, "I can give you power, and a new life." He smiled at me darkly.

"I really don't feel like becoming an abomination today, maybe tomorrow." I waved my arm at Uldred.

"Well, your opinion doesn't really matter. I have decided. Fight, if you must, it will only make my victory all the sweeter." Uldred smiled wickedly.

I unsheathed my daggers quickly, Uldred radiated a dark light and without warning turned into a colossal demon, even larger than the darkspawn ogre. My eyes widened and I looked at Wynne who nodded quickly and ran to a place she could recite the Litany, Leliana was bombarding the abominations with arrows. I sprinted at Uldred and glided onto my knees between his legs and carved my daggers through his legs, the monster roared in pain and turned quickly, rushing at me. I dived out of the way.

"Katria!" Alistair called out, he was standing not far from me and holding his shield out in front of him, I smiled at the corner of my mouth and sprinted at it.

"Now!" I screamed out. Alistair flung me me off his shield and hurtling through the air, I landed on Uldred's head. He bellowed out in anger and swung his arms around his head I evaded his strikes, Alistair was hacking away at his legs trying to avoid getting trampled. I held my dagger in the air and screamed out as my dagger bore it's way deep into Uldred's skull. Uldred roared out in pain and swept his arms around his head one last time this time hitting me hard and throwing me to the ground, I cried out as I smashed against the floor. Uldred's body collapsed onto the ground, the boom echoed throughout the entire tower causing the ones standing to fall onto the floor. I rubbed my hand over my face and stood up slowly, holding my leg tightly. Alistair ran over to me and grabbed my arm, surveying my carefully, I walked over to Irving who was leaning against the wall, gasping for air.

"Maker, I'm too old for this." Irving said in a low, rumbling voice.

"Are you all right?" Wynne said jogging over to him and examining him closely.

"I've.. been better." Irving struggled to stand off the wall, "But I am thankful to be alive, I suppose this is your doing, Wynne?" Irving asked.

"I wasn't alone, I had help." Wynne replied, smiling at me gratefully.

"The Circle owes both of you a debt we will never be able to repay." Irving smiled weakly at us, "Come, the Templars will be waiting. We should let them know that the tower is ours again." Irving said, standing up proper. I nodded, "I will need you to help me down the stairs," Irving frowned as he limped towards the stairs. "Who decided that the Circle should be housed in a tower." He grumbled, I smiled and aided him down the stairs, we walked back down to where Greagoir was.

"Irving?" Greagoir's eyes widened as we came out of the apprenctice quarters, "Maker's breath, I did not expect to see you alive." Greagoir smiled at Irving, Cullen was standing beside Greagoir watching Irving doubtfully.

"It is over, Uldred is dead." Irving said solemnly.

"Uldred tortured these mages, hoping to break them and turn them into abominations. We don't know how many have turned." The Templar said, frowning at Greagoir.

"What? Don't be ridiculous." Irving said.

"Of course he'll say that, he might be a blood mage! Don't you know what they did? I won't let it happen again." Cullen said sternly, crossing his arms and glaring at Irving.

"I am the knight-commander here, not you Cullen." Greagoir replied, Cullen looked down at his feet. "I believe that order has been restored to the Circle." I said to Greagoir, "We will rebuild. The Circle will live on and we will learn from the tragedy." Irving explained. "I promised you aid, but I must look after the mages now, but they are free to help you, talk to them." Greagoir said quickly, "Now, I must see to a sweep of the tower, there may be survivors and we must tend to them." he turned on his heel and walked over to other Templars.

"Here we are, the Circle nearly annihilated.. But I suppose it could've been much, much worse." Irving said walking over to me, "I am glad you arrived when you did," Irving said gratefully, "Greagoir said you came here in search of allies, we will gladly help you." Irving continued.

"I'm glad I could help," I bowed my head and walk towards the exit.

"Wait." A voice cried out from behind me, I jerked my head around to see Cullen walking towards us. I arched my eyebrows at him.

"I spent all that time in that cage talking and thinking about how I could do nothing to help," He said pacing the floor, "I want to come with you," He said quickly.

"That sounds like a great idea, a tortured Templar with an extreme hatred for mages in the same group as me." Morrigan mumbled.

"We can use all the help we can get," I said looking at Morrigan who scowled.

"Fine, do what you will." She said, waving her arm.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked Cullen calmly, "There are two mages in our company," I said gesturing to Morrigan and Wynne, he examined them closely.

"I want to go with you." He repeated, I looked over at Alistair who shrugged. I nodded slowly.

"Have you talked to Greagoir?" I asked him, looking past him at Greagoir who was staring at us.

"Yes." He said quickly, "Let's just go." He said as he walked past me and out the door.

"Are you sure this is wise?" Wynne said in a low tone, I looked up at her with a blank stare.

"I really don't know. We do need help." I said hastily, Wynne looked at Cullen carefully and nodded. "I'll be right there." I called out to Alistair who arched his eyebrows at me, I had to talk to Irving about Connor; we still needed to help the Arl.

"Irving," I called out, Irving turned around slowly. "I need your help, I need to rid someone of a demon." I said quietly, Irving widened his eyes. "I know this isn't a great time, but you said you had a debt to me." I said kindly.

"Very well, what is it that you need." 

"I need the mages to send someone into the Fade to save a child," I replied, Irving arched his eyebrows, "He's only a child," I said sadly, Irving nodded. "At Redcliffe castle, the Arl's son made a deal with a demon to save his father, now the demon has taken over the castle and the child," I explained, "I need to send someone into the Fade to kill the demon possessing the child," I said quickly, Irving held his hand out.

"A few mages and I will meet you there," Irving said calmly. "Stay safe child." He said kindly as he walked over to Greagoir. I sighed and ran to catch up with Alistair and the others, "We need to go back to Redcliffe," I said, Alistair understood what I had done and we crossed the lake. It was late into the night when we decided to make camp, there was no clouds in the sky, the moon glimmered across the landscape and a small wind was blowing through the trees, no one would ever think that a Blight was coming, the night was perfect. I was worn out, I struggled to even lay out a blanket, Morrigan, like always, camped as far away from the rest of the group as she could. Alistair sat down beside me, he was watching Cullen carefully.

"I don't trust him," He said in a low tone.

"I just think he needs to realize that the world isn't this terrible thing." I said looking at Cullen sadly, "I want to help him, I can't imagine what he's been through. And... I feel like I know him." I said looking up at Alistair. Alistair shook his head and looked down at me.

"How's your leg doing?" He said gesturing to my wound. I sighed and sat up.

"Bad," I said shortly, grabbing my pack to get more bandages out. Alistair frowned.

"I knew you shouldn't have gone," Alistair said grabbing my pack from me, I puffed out air and laid back down.

"And if I hadn't you would still be asleep in that tower." I responded, Alistair scoffed and started re-bandaging my leg.

"It's gotten worse," Alistair scowled at my leg as he wrapped bandages around it tightly, I winced. "Sorry," Alistair said as he tied off the bandage and laid down next to me.

"Do you really have a sister?" I asked Alistair.

"Uh.. A half sister, she lives in Denerim, I just haven't got the gall to go and see her." He said solemnly,

"What if I go with you?" I asked as I rolled over to face him, propping myself up on my arm.

"I'd like that," Alistair smiled at me. I let my hair down and curled up next to Alistair, who let out a deep sigh. "Do you think she's going to like me?" Alistair asked in a nervous voice, I smiled.

"Of course she will," I laughed, I could hear Alistair chuckle as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"Did you have a nightmare in the Fade?" Alistair asked me, I looked up at him and arched my eyebrows, "I'm just curious," He smiled, holding his hands up in defense.

"I was in Weisshaupt, with Duncan." I said sorrowfully, "I had to kill him." I said softly and curled into Alistair's neck.

"I- I'm sorry," Alistair looked for what to say, "It isn't your fault," I breathed and sighed, Alistair continued running his fingers through my hair and before I knew it I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well? Good? Bad? I really worked hard on this chapter, I tried to make it sound more mature. Cullen is going to play a large part in the rest of my story, I know he isn't recruited in the actual story line, but I wanted to do something different. Thank you for reading(: Please comment your thoughts below(: I absolutely looveee hearing from everyone. Next chapter will be up soon. Please vote up(:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 293 44
My name is Dawn Cousland. I had a normal life, a loving mother and a caring father. An annoying older brother that I loved. Until the night Father s...
2.5K 55 11
(This story is my first Dragon Age Inquisition story but has undergone revision and a few changes) Talila, a mid-twenties to late twenties year old w...
224 11 3
In a post-Inquisition Thedas, Inquisitor Lavellan has settled into a relatively quiet life with the ex-Templar who stole her heart. With the shadow o...
1.5K 40 27
Book 1 in Mother of Griffons series A fairytale ending tainted by infertility and an affair: the jaded Queen of Ferelden returns to her role as Ward...