Avoiding Past And Future

By PikaWings

He lost his family. Twice. But Danny was in a place where he wouldn't be able to hurt anybody again. Until a... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25

20

654 27 5
By PikaWings

Daniel 'Danny' James Fenton,

Previous alias; Daniel 'Danny' James Grayson

Born December 1 2010

Adopted July 18 2020

Missing, presumed deceased November 7 2022

Family relations;

Parents

John Grayson (deceased March 20 2020)

Mary Grayson (deceased March 20 2020)

Maddeline 'Maddie' Nicole Fenton (adopted, deceased November 7 2022)

Jackson 'Jack' Jacob Fenton (adopted, deceased November 7 2022)

Siblings

Richard 'Dick' John Grayson

Jasmine 'Jazz' Josephine Fenton (adopted, deceased November 7 2022)

Residence

'Fentonworks'

Bodach avenue 11, Amity Park, Illinois

That's it.

That's all their file on Danny had after countless hours of research.

Filled with death and abandonment.

Abandonment that Dick had added onto

Batman, well, Bruce had found Dick at the main computer in the Batcave once the man had finished his business with the League. It had already been a few hours since the debrief and it very much looked like all that time was spent at the desk.

The boy had barely taken any time to change, only removing his mask and cape, before planting himself in front of the machine. His hair looked like a genuine bird's nest, likely from repeatedly running his hands through it. Dark circles were already forming under his eyes.

Bruce could immediately tell something about his ward was off. Dick had gotten obsessive over some cases here and there but nothing to this extent. Not since his parents' accident.

It hadn't taken that much pressure for Dick to crack. Of course the man had noticed inconsistencies in the mission reports the others had handed in. And of course Batman of all people was the one to review them.

Really, trying to sneak something past Batman was like trying to not be seen while having neon signs pointing at you.

Bruce, being the paranoid bastard he is, was sceptical at first. They hadn't received any reports of new metas or anything happening in sleepy Amity Park.

But for the sake of the distressed teen in his care, and knowing the boy had killer intuition, he decided to humor the boy and aid in his investigation.

What a mistake that had been

Within half an hour, Dick had gone through everything he had found and everything they had hidden from the reports. A detailed walkthrough of the incident and the literal digital hole that was Amity Park.

Bruce had tried to double check the research. Backtrack everything Dick had looked for.

Nothing

Everything about Amity had been wiped off the internet.

The only way they even found out about the deaths of Danny's adoptive family was from a post Maddeline's sister, Alicia had made.

The great detective was starting to understand why Dick had looked like an absolute wreck.

Between the two of them, they had gone through copious amounts of coffee and energy drinks. It was an act of mercy that Alfred had continued to supply them after the 24h mark hit. It was only due to the power of the Englishman that they had even gotten out of their chairs and into the showers.

Amity park had been completely wiped from any digital records they could find, even the ones procured in...less legal ways than usual.

As far as they could find it didn't even exist anymore. Anything that ever referenced 'Amity Park' had fully been deleted. Only a handful of articles and various documents made it thought the apparently purge as they only mentioned 'Amity'.

Dick refused to give up.

He knew the answers were out there. He knew something happened. And he damn well knew those answers were somewhere within hidden records in Belle Rêve. They just hadn't found the right ones.

Yet.

Connor said he hadn't seen anybody like him or the entity in the prison the entire time he was there. General Population was ruled out for places he would be at.

He very clearly wasn't wearing a guard's uniform so even if the prison negated youth labor laws, he wasn't working there either. Not officially at least. From what the two resident aliens mentioned, he hadn't outright attacked them. He tried to stop them. Stop the escape. Even with their admittance of striking first, he would still be classified as the hostile one in official records. The League's prejudice against their opponents aside, they were in a prison and he did attack Icicle Jr. That counted enough for the majority to vote him the bad guy.

Solitary was the only option left.

But what could he possibly have done to deserve that? Belle Rêve is very openly against using solidary confinement. Their psychological team claims in sets back their mental health more than active war soldiers experience.

Depressingly enough, when they had looked into the solidary records, they found holes in the logs. Security was also cut down on the second floor about a year ago. It irked them beyond belief that there weren't more records to hack their way into. More files to find and dissect. Hoping to find that one bit of information they were looking for.

But they were getting closer.

That had to count for something

It wasn't until they were nearing the 48h mark that Alfred's compassion ran out and the threats of spiked beverages came up.

Begrudgingly Dick actually got up on his own accord after Alfred gave him the choice of dignantly going to his room on his own or being carried there after being sedated.

Grumbling annoyedly, Dick waddled his way through the manor halls. Socks left abandoned in the shoes he wears in the Cave. He didn't need another lecture about not wearing dirty shoes inside the house on top of everything else.

Dick felt the hairs on his arms stand up as a cold yet fuzzy feeling brushed past him. Stopping dead in his tracks, he looked around but couldn't spot any danger.

Then he saw it

He was almost willing to write it off as Alfred still having drugged his food earlier but that would go against the man's beliefs. He always gives the choice first before secretly drugging you. He was a man of standards after all.

Standards Dick was willing to throw out the window as he rushed to the end of the hallway towards what he had seen. As he rounded the corner, he was sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him. Going down another hallway he saw little neon green hind legs walk away.

That couldn't possibly be

Right?

Dick chased after it again, hoping to catch up. It wasn't a long halfway, only a few doors, surely he could, right?

The chase continued through the manor. Doing down passageways Dick hadn't even remembered existed until the green entity walked through the door like it wasn't even there. Somehow he had even found himself in crawl spaces that hadn't been on the floor maps Bruce had shown him;

Had this happened even a week before Dick was sure he would have written it off as sleep deprived hallucinations. But now anything felt so out of place, it wouldn't have been the strangest thing to happen.

Dick panted as made his way out yet another vent like crawl space. He looked out in front of him and started straight at what he had been chasing this whole time.

That definitely was the entity they saw at Belle Rêve.

The green hound

Danny's dog

Dick felt his heart race as he watched the puppy in front of him lazily scratch his collar, back turned towards the boy. Did they make a special dog sized collar for the pup too? God, if his own brother suddenly needed five was it really that ridiculous to think they'd make one for a meta dog too?

He stood up straighter again as he tried to inch closer. Years of training, and well maintained floorboards, letting him move without making a sound.

Skills that apparently weren't enough to sneak up on a meta dog. As soon as Dick was only a foot or two away, its head snapped up and looked straight at the boy.

Both locked eyes and froze for a second. Neither even letting out a single breath.

Was the dog even breathing to begin with?

Was it even real?

What if it really was just a hallucination from hours upon hours of stressful research. The mere possibility his brother is in a prison again was painful on its own. But now he also had to factor in that same brother being in a meta supervillain prison. The how's and why's already making him lose focus again even with the entity they all saw right before him.

Recognition flashed through the pup's eyes as it jumped around to wag its tail at the young boy. It playfully bowed forward as its tail wagged up a storm. Yipping excitedly it hopped around a bit, begging Dick to engage with it. Apprehensively, Dick tried to reach out. If he could touch it, it's real, right?

Tried being the keyword here.

The moment he got closer to try and touch the hyperactive pup before him, it jumped up and back. It looked back a few times, egging Dick on to follow it. Taking the bait, Dick took a few steps forward as it still yipped at him.

The moment it seemed to know Dick would follow, it darted across the hall and went straight through one of the doors. Dick cautiously followed but broke out into a light sprint as he heard something in the room fall.

He almost threw open the door. Somehow the entity had led him all over the manor and in some way led him to his own room. Dick looked around, trying to see where it had gone and what the noise had been. His room looked just how he left it, nothing out of place.

Had he imagined it all?

Walking further inside, he still felt that odd cold yet fuzzy feeling. Late September evenings didn't feel this cold, even in Gotham. He started walking towards the windows to check for some type of draft when a noise from behind startled him.

Panicked, he jumped up into a perch on the corner of his bed. There had been nothing behind him. There still was nothing where he knew he heard the noise.

Nothing except for his closet.

For safety's sake, Dick pulled out a hidden bo staff from between his mattress and stalked towards the closet. Now that he's closer, he could tell the door was ever so slightly opened. Keeping his distance in case something actually was inside, he used the staff to pry open the door.

Dick felt all the color drain from his face.

On the inside of his door hung his old Flying Grayson's poster. It was the newer version that they had designed special for when the twins would start actively performing in shows.

Sadly they never actually got to use it as promotional material

That wasn't what had shocked him to his core however.

No, under the poster, on the midrail of the door itself sat one of his batarangs perfectly balanced. It wasn't a brand new one. This one has some scuffs and were those teeth marks?

It can't be

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 288 9
"Would you believe me if I told you other universes exist." "What-," "Answer the question, Tony." ___ Portals seem to be opening up all over the pl...
19K 738 16
Jason has been watching over his brother for years. After saving him from there parents cruelty, Jason is alone with his parents...until Batman take...
317K 11.9K 40
Danny Fenton has just witnessed his parents, friends and teacher die at the hand of the nasty burger explosion. To avoid Vlad and becoming Dan he mov...
150K 4.8K 27
Robin asks his team, the Teen Titans, for help in finding his little brother. Danny has to confront his parents if he even hopes to meet his possible...