To The Ends of The Universe (...

By Silverdawn_

"When just being alive makes you a target, you learn to keep your head low." Being a nurse in an ER clinic, E... More

Chapter 1: A Midnight Meeting
Chapter 2: The Gray Eyed Man
Chapter 3: The Truth
Chapter 4: Lyria
Chapter 5: The Council
Chapter 6: The Journey
Chapter 7: Crash Landing
Chapter 9: The Plan
Chapter 10: The Cave
Chapter 11: The Hybrids
Chapter 12: Hybrid 393
Chapter 13: Aecor
Chapter 14: Disaster
Chapter 15: The Plesiosaur
Chapter 16: Break In
Chapter 17: The Final Battle
Chapter 18: The Aftermath
Epilogue: The Wedding

Chapter 8: Lumanora

30 4 47
By Silverdawn_

Lumanora was a fantasy village in the trees. Houses were clumped together similar to mushrooms along thick trunks. Branches and vine bridges lead up and down among the various clusters. The most beautiful part however was the bioluminescent flowers and insects that decorated the walls and bridges.

"It's beautiful."

Her words earned a small smile from the woman. "Thank you. It's my home."

With that, she approached one of the trunks and headed up. As Ursus approached, Eileen examined the bark. It was sharpened into a point with jagged edges along the side.

"Hold on, love."

"Wait, what about the edges?"

Grabbing the bark, Ursus pushed himself up. "Quies' hands are tough enough to climb up without being cut. Pavel and Donovan should have special gloves on."

She glanced down to see he was right. Oh ."That must add a layer of protection then."

The woman grunted. "The human is smarter than she looks."

"I have a name, you know."

"I know, and I don't care."

Eileen's annoyance flared. Are all the Quies this rude? Donovan's chuckle earned a glare from her. Reaching the top, Ursus eased over the railing with little trouble. Turning, he helped Pavel and Donovan up, though the latter was reluctant to accept.

"My father will be at the top of the trees in the meeting house." The woman gestured for them to follow. "Come, I will take you to him."

Easing herself off Ursus, Eileen followed behind. The Quies people reminded Eileen of cats in the way that they moved. Always alert and aware of their surroundings, while styled in the camouflage of the forest.

Bzzt! EIleen ducked her head. "What was that?" The insect landed on a branch nearby. "Is that a giant dragonfly?"

The woman nodded. "We use dragonflies to deliver messages around the forest, and we use Arthropleura to import and export goods to other villages." Her eyes darkened. "This is why we need to get rid of the fungi. Without our Arthropleura, we'll starve."

"Any idea how the fungi could have spread this quickly?" Pavel pulled up some holographic notes. "From my notes alone, the fungi isn't even supposed to be in this region."

"We think someone may have brought it. Who? We're still not sure."

Eileen staggered to the side as one of the Arthropleura came crawling down a trunk. It slowed its approach as a low clicking noise left its mandibles. Rearing up, its head nudged against the woman's like a dog nuzzling its owner.

Ursus's hand against her back kept Eileen from scattering. As the creature went on its way, Eileen kept her distance.

"Still," Pavel continued. "Even if they brought it, the fungi shouldn't have taken over that quickly."

Donovan frowned. "Could it have been genetically modified to spread faster?"

"That's possible." Pavel met the woman's gaze again. "Do you have a sample?" At her nod, he turned to Eileen. "Get your scanner out of your backpack. It has a small little molecular tube that can break down and analyze organic compounds and poisons."

Pulling out her scanner, Pavel took it. "Alright, lead the way." As they continued up to the top of the trees, the shops and homes thinned out. Soon there was nothing but a single large court style hut on a large platform.

A man stood up at their entrance. "Etta, there you are." He was decked out in leaves, forest leaves, and flowers styled in that of a village chief. "I heard your patrol was eventful."

"It was." She gestured to the others. "The prince and his misfit entourage came down in a crashing hovercraft." Misfits? Eileen's eyes narrowed. Who was she calling misfits?

"Etta," her father scolded. "Mind your tongue."

Etta lowered her head at his scolding. Stepping forward, Pavel bowed. "Leader Anito, I have heard about your infection problems and want to help. If you're willing to, I would like this challenge to prove that I am a capable leader that respects your way of life."

Green eyes glowing, Anito nodded. "Very well. Help us clear the infection, and we'll stand by you as king of Lyria and head of council. Etta, can you lead the others to their rooms? I would like for the prince and I to discuss plans."

"Very well." With another bow, Etta turned to them. "Follow me." Making their way back down the levels, Eileen glanced at Donovan. His hand rubbed at his eyes with a slight clenched jaw. As if sensing her gaze, they snapped toward her. Distrust and something else flickered across his gaze.

What are you hiding, Donovan?

"And here is your room." Stepping into the room, Eileen's jaw dropped. The glowing flowers from the ceiling illuminated the room like ceiling fans. Vines and moss created vivid details along the walls while wooden furniture grew glowing life. Even now dragonflies rested along their windows while the bed sheets were quilted flower petals.

The door clicked shut behind them, announcing their alone presence. She watched Ursus make his way to their bed. As he sat down, his head tilted slightly. "I can feel your emotions shifting." He frowned. "What are you thinking so hard about?"

Too many things. Her jaw clenched. Ursus, probably sensing her confliction, was up and pulling her into his arms. He nuzzled her neck, causing the tension to ease from her body. "You can tell me."

Eileen sighed. "Well, there's Donovan." She shook her head. "I can't help but think he's hiding something."

"Or, maybe he just doesn't want to get squirted in the eye with water." She glared mockingly up at him. "I would have been gentle." Ursus simply hummed in agreement. Moving closer, he buried his face into her neck. Her breath hitched at the burst of warmth. "What are you really thinking about, love?" His warm breath tickled her skin. "I know you have something more pressing on your mind."

Swallowing, she looked down at her hands. "Can you tell me about the bond?"

Ursus paused. For a minute, she feared he would pull away. Instead, he grabbed her hand and led her over to their bed. He pulled her down beside him. "What do you want to know?"

"Well, Pavel said the hybrids lost the ability to bond ages ago." Ursus nodded. "Yeah, between the hybrids being forbidden and the laws against mixing, it wasn't long before bonds were stressed to the point of shattering with many. Full bonds became rare."

"A full bond?" Eileen questioned.

"A full bond is close to your human equivalent of marriage, except it's more personal."

Eileen squeezed his hand. "And how can we become fully bonded?"

"It's not that easy, I'm afraid." Leaning forward, his forehead pressed against hers. Closing her eyes, Eileen sighed at the sense of warmth that washed over her. Any tension from the journey fell away. "To be fully bonded, we would need to share intimacy."

Intimacy? Heat blushed across her face. "Like sex?" But we had sex plenty of times.

Ursus coughed. "No, not...um..." Red tinted his ears. "Not like sex." He cleared his throat. "Intimacy isn't just sex, love. It can mean different things to different people. Some people are more emotionally intimate while others are more physically intimate. It all depends on what the person struggles the most with. Each bond is unique and that's why full bonds are so rare but special."

He pressed a soft kiss against her cheek. "Some couples never become bonded but as long as you're by my side, I don't care either way." He pressed another kiss to her cheek then her neck. Eileen leaned into his touch. Her breath hitched as he cupped her chin. His lips brushed against hers in a silent question. She answered the question with a kiss. Warmth bloomed across her chest as the kisses deepened, sending her into a desire she never thought possible.

Her back was pressed against the bed as his lips continued to cover every inch of her skin. A moan left her lips as her hands reached up. Her hands pulled at his shirt, revealing his chest that her fingers traced over before reaching and tugging his pants. Desire darkened his eyes, as his lips trailed down her neck. His hands dipped underneath. Her body shuddered as his hands pulled her free of the clothing.

As their kisses turned into a dance of passion under the glowing flowers, Eileen found herself wishing that the two of them could stay in this place forever. Away from the hurt and danger that threatened to swallow them whole and away from the fears of survival that creep across her mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

678 186 19
What do you do when everyone wants you dead? At twenty-two, Eileen thought her life was perfect. With a loving boyfriend and new opportunity to final...
16.6K 1K 29
highest rank - #87 science fiction!!! "Don't you ever trust them, Emily. They will get into your heart, and then they will kill you" 3056 The earth...
52 0 15
There are times in our lives that we look for something deliberately and grow tired of the search when it isn't found. Later, we might decide that it...
151K 7.8K 54
New edited version out now!!! I highly recommend reading that one instead, as this was the very first rough write of this story! As an alien invasion...