𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒, Daryl D...

By nicbelles

❝ You're caught in my crosshairs again. ❞ In which a Navy SEAL, a doomsday prepp... More

𝑪𝑹𝑶𝑺𝑺𝑯𝑨𝑰𝑹𝑺.
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑶𝑵𝑬.
⁰¹, A LIFE LIKE MINE
⁰², CRISIS CALL
⁰³, THE SEARCH BEGINS
⁰⁴, RESCUE MISSION
⁰⁵, A NEW INTRODUCTION
⁰⁶, HOPE FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE
⁰⁷, SNIPER SHOOTING
⁰⁸, BEHIND BARN DOORS
⁰⁹, ROMANCE READERS
¹⁰, FLY ME TO THE MOON
¹¹, HERE TO STAY
¹², HUNGOVER INTERROGATION
¹³, A BASIC UNDERSTANDING
¹⁴, ONE MAN LOST, ONE MAN SAVED
¹⁵, A FAMILY AFFAIR
¹⁶, ALL OUT MANHUNT
¹⁷, A BARN IN FLAMES
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑾𝑶.
¹⁸, A NEW HOME
¹⁹, TWO DOORS OPEN
²⁰, SOLITARY CONFINEMENT
²¹, BACK FROM THE DEAD
²², LEFT BEHIND
²³, FROM THE WATCHTOWER
²⁴, PAST LIVES
²⁵, TARGET PRACTICE
²⁶, THE START OF WAR
²⁷, THE PRICE OF SAFETY
²⁸, SCARE TACTIC
²⁹, FAMILY LINE
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬
³⁰, BIG SPOT PLANE
³¹, SHAKEN SODA CAN
³², BEHIND GLASS WALLS
³³, SCARED TO DIE
³⁴, LEAVING HOME
³⁵, BIG WHITE HOUSE
³⁶, BULLET WOUND
³⁷, HURT
³⁸, TO LIVE AND LOVE AND CARE
³⁹, NEW DOCTOR
⁴⁰, US AGAINST THE WORLD
⁴¹, CALL FOR MOM
⁴², TRAIN CAR REUNION
⁴³, JAILBREAK
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑭𝑶𝑼𝑹.
⁴⁴, PICKIN' VIOLETS
⁴⁵, LIGHT THE PAGE
⁴⁶, FAITH AND CHANGE
⁴⁷, TOGETHER
⁴⁸, BLOOD-STAINED LEADER
⁴⁹, PARENTAL AUTHORITY
⁵⁰, GRADY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
⁵¹, UNDER A WILLOW
⁵³, STILL WITH HER
⁵⁴, THE WALKING DEAD
⁵⁵, DANCE TROUPE
⁵⁶, WANT
⁵⁷, CANNED ORANGES
⁵⁸, RV RUMMY
⁵⁹, UNCLE JACK
⁶⁰, COLD SHOWER
⁶¹, CHIPPING PAINT
⁶², PHOTO PROOF
⁶³, KITCHEN LIGHT
⁶⁴, HAIRCUT

⁵², OUR SHERIFF HAT

1K 75 9
By nicbelles

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter fifty-two; Our Sheriff Hat
The kids are gonna be alright. "

  WASHINGTON D.C. WAS determined to be their next destination. One of the vehicles had given out so the entire group piled into a van, piled together like a mess.

  It wasn't helping that water and food were entirely depleted at this point and just as the sun was at its peak, the gas in their van ran out.

  "I'm gonna head out. See what I can find."

  "Hey, don't be too long."

  Carol gave a not-so-subtle glance to Vex at Daryl's announcement of his departure.

  They had both been worried. Both been distant against their own wishes. And had been trading off trying to crack back through to the man. It was officially Vex's turn, but with Zeppelin looking miserable and a sunburn forming across her face, Vex knew she couldn't muster the hope that today would be any different.

  Vex shrugged, bumping Carol's arm with her own, and the woman seemed to understand.

  "I'll go with you," Carol said.

  "I got it."

  "You gonna stop me?"

  She peeled off with Daryl, clearly against his hopes, but neither said anything else as they disappeared into the thick of the forest.

  "Need a hat, Zep?"

  The girl peered up as her uncle spoke up. He'd been quiet too, but he'd been there for her.

  "I'm okay," Zeppelin said weakly, "I've had sunburns before."

  Dean scoffed, starting to take off his baseball cap.

  "Really, it's okay, Uncle Dean," Zeppelin urged, "You need it, too."

  He hesitated, staring down at the girl who seemed so hellbent on something so small. So desperate for him to keep something for himself.

  And then a familiar sheriff's hat was plopped on her head, momentarily hiding her eyes.

  "We can share it."

  Zeppelin's lips curved into a small smile, readjusting the hat as she looked at Carl.

  "Okay."

  Vex fell back with Dean as Zeppelin and Carl walked side-by-side. It was a brief reprieve of happiness only they could find in a moment as bleak as this. Zeppelin had clearly made some kind of joke about the hat and Carl flicked the brim down, blinding her again, but it only made the both of them laugh. Rick smiled at the sound. Zeppelin seemed to notice him then, offering to carry Judith for a little so he had a break.

  She looked almost eager to hold the girl, so Rick couldn't argue.

  "The kids are gonna be alright."

  Vex looked at her brother in surprise.

  "They will be," He said quietly, "Zep and Carl. They're smart and determined if nothing else. And they have each other. Sometimes that's enough. Think you and I know somethin' about that."

  They did, Vex thought. They did know something about surviving even if only for each other. Crawling back from hell because they couldn't leave their sibling alone. Even when they had nothing else, they had someone who would live for them. Vex wondered if she'd ever have that kind of bond with anyone else.

  She'd live and die for the people in this group. But the bond she shared with her brother was inexplicable. Un-ending, un-dying; it did not have a beginning or end. Perhaps because that kind of devotion could only born, not formed.

  But looking at Zeppelin, Carl, and Judith, Vex knew it wasn't true. Because that bond existed between people who were not born by the same parents. 

  "Alright, listen up. . ."

  Vex turned her attention to Rick as he spoke out. 

  They would finally deal with the small horde of walkers that had been following them for some odd miles. The bridge they were approaching would be the crux of the plan; four people on each side, redirecting the dead into the steep pit below. Minimal energy, easy execution.

  Zeppelin, Carl, Judith, Eugene, Gabriel, Rosita, Tara, and Noah were positioned at the other end of the bridge holding any remaining gear. Abraham, Maggie, Sasha, and Dean flanked one side as walkers approached, while Rick, Glenn, Michonne, and Vex flanked the other.

  As the walkers approached, the plan began. Each side lured the walkers back before pushing them down the ravine; it was easy. Vex briefly thought it too easy, as she sidestepped a walker before it plummeted down, but at a time like this, she wouldn't complain. Her body ached, her skin started to dry due to dehydration, and she knew the ache in her stomach dulling wasn't a good sign.

  So simplicity was their best friend.

  But Sasha had other plans. She approached one of the walkers, grabbed it by its shirt, and buried a knife in its head.

  "Stay in line. Flank her."

  Vex felt back but she huffed out a sigh as she retrieved a bowie knife from her belt. 

  She was focused on taking out the walkers as they came, glad Michonne had peeled off in an attempt to control Sasha. 

  It was one of the bigger groups they had faced head-on, but with eight people it was at least slightly manageable.

  Until a walker emerged at Vex's side instead of in front of her; it was meant to be a funnel, not being dropped into the middle of anything. She pulled her knife from the head of a walker as Rick and Glenn took down their own, but the one that had snuck up grabbed Vex's arm that held her knife. She twisted quickly, placing her free hand on its forehead, attempting to wrench her arm from its grasp or swap her knife around so she could take it out.

  But she was running on empty. And the walkers were stronger than they looked, and Vex Williams, briefly, thought its teeth had grazed her arm.

  But then it was being pulled back, and a knife was buried in its head, and Daryl Dixon stood at the edge of the forest like a dirt-covered white knight.

  "You okay?"

  Vex hardly had the breath to respond, her eyes snapping down to her arm as the sound of walkers died around to all but nothing.

  "I--I don't know."

  Daryl grabbed her arm, perhaps rougher than intended, making an already-on-edge Vex flinch. He seemed to realize, eyes flashing up to hers, before loosening his grip. Daryl looked back down at her arm, turning it slightly in his hands.

  "No bite, no scratches."

  Vex nodded, his fingers still pressed into the tender skin of her bicep as if she was clay for him to mold.

  "Thanks."

  Daryl nodded only once, seeming to realize his hands were still on her, letting her go quickly and taking a step back.

  Putting space between them.

  "You good, V?"

  Vex turned her head, watching Dean approach slowly with Zeppelin in tow.

  "Yeah."

  She glanced back at Daryl for a moment. An invitation. To join her as he had so many times.

  But as Zeppelin slowed mere feet from them, Daryl departed.

  Vex brought Zeppelin into her side, squeezing her daughter tightly.

  She couldn't let anyone hurt Zeppelin. Not again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 71 6
"TRUE BLUE" - Young Lola, six years old, is left to navigate in a world of walkers. Lola finds herself with nobody to shield her from the horrors sur...
315K 9.3K 104
[seasons 4 - 11 ] STRANGERS TO FAMILY, 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙥 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙫𝙞𝙫𝙤𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙜𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙬𝙖�...
277 15 5
"𝐈'𝐝 𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐮𝐩 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐈 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐚, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 �...
20.4K 630 40
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇, separated from the rest of the group, they need to learn to work together to survive 【 Start: 12•24•22 】 【 End: 01•07•23 】