Number 9: The Genetically Mod...

By everyday_imstumblin

-Completed- [Definitely not your average Werewolf story, if you expect love at first sight - please thou sha... More

Number 9
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 Part l
Chapter 15 Part ll
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21 Part I
Chapter 21 Part ll
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 Part I
Chapter 29 Part II
Epilogue

Chapter 22

39K 1.3K 396
By everyday_imstumblin

 "What are you doing here?" Slade snapped and moved to stand in front of Mason. His heavy frown and eyes narrowed showed his aggravation.

"Now, now, no need to release your anger out on me." Mason responded with a superior smirk. He shrugged half-heartedly and casually glanced at Nine who already shifted, donned on clothes and was standing just behind Slade.

"But if you must know...." Mason trailed off as his eyes roamed over the mysterious she-wolf who captured his undivided attention since the moment he met her at the arena. As a wolf she was powerful and now standing in front of him, she was just how he pictured her to be.

Exotic. Dark. And Tempting.

Although, Mason slightly narrowed his eyes and his lips curled in distaste at all those retched scars and her awfully striking eyes. Thankfully he knew a guy who was a good plastic surgeon. A couple of appointments with him and all those atrocious mutilations would vanish and maybe a change in eye colour.

Also he would make her grow her hair out. Can't have his future mate looking like a boy. Best to get rid of that scruffy look and make her look more classy. Other than that, Mason was fine with the rest of her body. Long legs, an hourglass curve and her feminine face.

She would do nicely.

Apparently Alpha Mason was looking too long when Slade stepped in. He grabbed Mason's shirt non to lightly and lifted the pup up with one hand, making sure to humiliate him by dangling his feet off the ground.

His guards tried to step in but Slade's pack was already warning them off with threatening growls. Heavily outnumbered they could do nothing.

"Keep your eyes off my mate!" Slade spat, his arm bulging as his fists tighten.

Alpha Mason struggled to get the brute to let go. His face was turning red from embarrassment and anger when Slade's pack began to snicker.

"Is this how you treat Alpha's in your territory?!" he shouted just as Slade dropped him. Mason stumbled a little, his men caught him before he fell but he harshly shrugged them off.

Mason snarled. "I'd appreciate it if you kept your hands off me." He straightened his shirt roughly.

Slade let out a scoff and the crossed his large arms.

"What do you want?" He asked not to kindly, ignoring the duty to respect and honour all Alpha's that visit another's' territory. His jade eyes glistening with subtle anger and annoyance.

Letting out a sharp exhale, Mason straightened his back in order to gain some height. But he was no match for Slade's 6'3 stature.

"I want an alliance."

Slade's eyes twitched in irritation at the pup. How dare he enter his territory, without permission and then demands an alliance?! That mutt! He should just kick him out and-

"I mean, you wouldn't want me to contact the council. I'm sure they would like to know the Rogue problems you are having and not to mention the way your mate can control them." Mason grinned maliciously at the now livid Alpha.

Nine having had enough for one day, moved to her mate's side and wrapped her hand around his. She peered up at him, both having a silent conversation with their eyes.

Sighing, Slade turned his head slightly to Ryan who stood to his other side.

"Prepare rooms for our...guests." He spat out the last word and shot a glare at the arrogant Alpha. Once they went inside, Slade nodded to Nolan who went about dealing with the aftermath of the Rogues, along with the other warriors – leaving the Alpha and Luna to themselves.

Turning to his mate, Slade laid his hands on top of Nine's shoulders and bore his eyes into hers.

"Stay away from him." He ordered sternly.

Nine nodded her head. "I was going to anyway, because I can't kill anyone anymore..." she looked to the side distractedly, "I wanted him to be my second last kill too..." she mumbled sadly.

Slade didn't know whether to grin in amusement or let her do what she wanted. Tough decision.

Cupping her face and making her look at him, he leaned down and gave her lips a light kiss.

"At least make sure you aren't alone with him." He spoke softly and caressed her cheek. Once again nodding, Nine smiled up at him. She lifted her head and gave him another kiss which Slade was quick to deepen if only his mate didn't pull away.

He pouted at her and whined when she turned around and walked away in order to help those who needed it. Slade let her go but his gaze was looking at her longingly. Too bad he had another nuisance to deal with first.

"Damn that pup!" he growled angrily and stalked inside the house.

***

"Yes, yes – Thank you Councilman Zander." Slade cut the call and leaned back in his office chair. Placing his hands on his head and letting out a tired sigh, he check the clock on his desk and saw it was nearing six. With the sun sinking down, his pack finally under control and the council contact for the damn alliance, Slade could finally have a moment of peace.

The only thing that could top it off was-

The door opened and Nine's head peeked through. She blinked up at him and he grinned. He gestured for her to enter. Nine walked through, closed the door and casually strolled towards him while swinging her hands. Once close, he brought her onto his lap to straddle him. With his hands on her exposed thighs through her jean shorts, the mates gazed silently at each other.

Lifting her hand, Nine watched as her finger trailed from his forehead, down his nose to his lips. Thoroughly interested with his lips, Nine rubbed her thumb across it. Slade was humming in delight but his eyes shown with desire.

"When's the mutt and his pack leaving?" she asked, her hand moving back up to tug at Slade's hair that was falling over his eyes.

"I'm afraid we have to wait 3 days for the councilmen to come. He's the one who mediates the alliance." He told her and winced lightly when she pulled his hair too hard. Noticing it, Nine ran her hand through his hair and then began to fiddle with other things she could get her hands on.

"Why do you need the council?"

Slade took a hold of Nine's wondering hands in his large ones and placed a kiss upon both her knuckles.

"The council is sort of the middle man in between packs, making sure that all laws pass through them and that packs do not get out of hand and if so then the council steps in." he explained. "For an alliance, a councilmen comes in with a formal contract in order for both parties to abide by the alliance. It's nothing much but it will take time for him to come since they are busy people."

"Right." Nine mumbled, not fully understanding but would get used to it eventually. She watched as her hands toyed and played with his large, warm ones.

"We just have to survive for 3 days with the mutt and then he'll be on his way home but until then, we will still work on your control. We'll continue training tomorrow." Slade said and chuckled when Nine tried to air arm wrestle with him. He grinned at her concentrated face but used his other hand to tickle her sides, laughing along with her when she began to giggle and then burst out laughing.

Nine and Slade stayed there in the office, playing and touching and bonding over such simple things. To them it truly felt like they were the only ones there.

***

"Okay, Nine. Let's take it nice and easy." Slade said to her and watched from a distance as she sparred with a nervous, young pup.

She was holding back her strength because last time she used her normal power, Nolan went flying! So it was best for her to just use light touches.

"That's good! Keep it up!" Slade encouraged when she lightly pushed the pup down. He took notice of her eyes, thankful that it stayed mostly white but there was still the lingering red.

Slade felt Ryan slip next to him. "You look like a proud soccer dad, supporting his daughter." He told his Alpha bluntly which resulted in an elbow to the stomach.

"What's the situation with the bastard?" Slade grunted.

Knowing exactly who he was referring to, Ryan answered, "He's touring the pack but I made sure Nolan was keeping a close eye on him."

Slade snapped his head to Ryan who looked back innocently. Then both erupted in laughter. They knew that Nolan was doing his job of annoying the hell out of Alpha Mason. He had an uncanny ability to annoy just about anyone. Even the toughest of people cracked under Nolan's irritating pressure.

"Oh, here they come." Ryan nodded behind Slade. Both hid their snicker at Mason's fuming expression, along with his pack warriors compared to Nolan's overly happy face. He dressed in his tour guide uniform, consisting of a bright yellow shirt, khaki shorts and a long stick that had a flag at the end of it.

All in all – he looked like an annoying bugger.

"And this, my dear grumpy friends – is the training area. Okay! Let's move on! Isn't this exciting?!" Nolan barely made it anywhere close to the other warriors before twisting around and walking back to the pack house. But Alpha Mason had better ideas.

He ignored Nolan and walked to Slade who immediately put on a blank face.

"What do you want?" Slade spoke out.

Mason shrugged. "Nothing really. Just curious about your training."

Slade had nothing to hide but he didn't particularly want Mason to be close to his mate. Especially when he didn't need any distractions. By that he meant he was probably going to end up in a fist fight if the damn Alpha wouldn't stop looking at his mate!

Steeping in front of Mason's view of Nine, he not so subtly snapped, "Get lost mutt."

"I don't think I will!" was Mason's arrogant reply. "You know, you should treat me better than this." He smirked and casually walked around a furious Alpha, so he could catch Nine in training. "I mean, the councilmen is coming in a couple of days and I would hate for it to slip about your mate being one of Victor's creations."

Slade eyes narrowed dangerously.

Mason ignored his intense glare. "I wonder what would happen if they found out!" he pretended to gasp, "Oh, would they take her away from you?"

"I'd never let them!" Slade snarled loudly. Both Alpha's were face to face. One slowly losing control and the other smirking.

"Nine is my mate and under the law she-" but Slade was cut off.

"But if she was a danger to other packs, then she will be removed." Mason interrupted. His wicked smirk growing as Slade's eyes turned black and signs of him shifting were showing.

"Are you so blind that you forget that your mate is a monster?"

Slade viciously roared and shifted on the spot. He lunged at Mason but another body intervened and shoved his massive wolf form to the side. He quickly got up to snap at whoever did that but paused when he saw it was Nine. She was standing in front of Mason, her posture was alert but not fully on guard.

She carefully walked towards her mate and rubbed her head against his.

'If I cannot kill him then you can't too.' She told him, her eyes staring deep into his. Slade hesitated for a moment, he switched to the damn bastard to see him with that stupid smirk on his face and moved to Nine who sat down in front of him.

She gazed upon him intently. 'But if you do wish to kill him, I would like to join you as well.' She said seriously, her eyes slowly glowing red.

Just like that Slade calmed down. Nine was improving in her control and if she killed someone now than they would have moved backwards. Not to mention that killing an Alpha without a reason had some serious consequences.

Slade could be stripped of his title and separated from Nine. Not only because she was his mate but also because Slade did not mention to the council that Nine was Victor's creation. She was not born a Werewolf. She was an abomination – the very thing that the council hated.

You were either born a Werewolf or bitten. There was no other way. More like there shouldn't be another way.

Only the ones Dexter told about the true birth of Nine, know what she is. But somehow Alpha Mason found out. After he leaves, Slade had got some serious investigating to do.

'You're right.' Slade said to Nine and used her touch to relax him.

Nine began to wag her tail and ears perked. 'You mean we can kill him!' she yipped happily and Slade immediately shook his head.

'No, no, no! I meant you were right that if you can't kill then I shouldn't either.' He confirmed and watched as Nine's tail and ears dropped.

'Oh...' she sounded so sad which made Slade a bit weary. Nine was looking for any reason to kill. He was hoping the beast wasn't messing with her thoughts. He'd have to keep an eye out for that.

'You want to go for a run?' He asked her and watched as she perked up again and dashed for the woods without waiting for him. He internally grinned and turned to his Beta.

'Deal with him.' He ordered, referring to an impatiently waiting Mason.

Not giving him another second or else Slade would have the need to attack the pup, Slade headed after his mate. A much needed time with her was way overdue in his opinion. For now, he could forget about everything else and just enjoy being with is mate because Slade knew that something was coming.

His instincts never failed him and for once, he wish they did.

***

"Nine, could you go down to the basement and get the box with all the stuff for donations." Tori asked her friend who was following her because Slade said that she must not be alone while Mason was around.

"Uhhh...." Was Nine's reply.

Tori sighed in exasperation. "Look, it's just a quick run-down, grab the box and come back up. Knowing you, you'd probably be back in 10 seconds!"

Nine still looked unsure. She spent the last two days avoiding Mason but he always seemed to pop out of nowhere. She always stayed close to another person because each time he tried to get her alone. It was a shame that she promised Slade that she would not kill anyone.

Tori laid a comforting hand on her shoulders.

"If Mason does something then all you gotta do it is not kill him. Slade never said anything about attacking his weak ass." Tori said with a cheerful smile but internally she was hoping that Nine would kick that pups ass since he thought he was the king around here and kept ordering everyone around like they were his servants.

That bastard!

Nodding thoughtfully, Nine grinned. "You're right – thanks Tori!" she said and then skipped happily towards the staircase that led to the basement. It wasn't even a second when Nine detected Mason as he followed her down the stairs.

She barely paid attention to his presence as she looked for the box but it was when he moved right behind her that she began to bristle and her body started to shake unconsciously.

"You know, you're quite the beauty." He murmured lowly, his breath fanned the back of her neck making a chill run down her spine.

Twisting around, she was eye level with Mason. "Step. Down." She commanded. Eyes locking on to her target.

Instead of being in fear, Mason was fascinated. He could feel his body hum as the she-wolf emitted her dominance over him.

Chuckling, Mason made no move to back away. This may have been their first time alone but he watched Nine closely. No matter how much she avoided him, he could always observe her from a far. He may not be the perfect Alpha but when it came to observing others and picking upon their behaviour, Mason was an expert.

His observational skills was what took him to the top. He noticed the last Alpha's struggle but no matter how much he tried to hide it, Mason noticed. It's funny because the old fool was trying to hold his position just so he could hand it down to his son on his twenty first birthday. Of course he would have made it if Mason hadn't challenged him and easily taken him down thanks to his sharp eyes.

And right now, Mason was not blind to the subtle shift coming from Nine. From what he had gathered, that thing within her was agitated. Like it wanted to come out. But it seemed as if it was holding back. And then at this moment, it clicked to him.

That thing was slowly consuming Nine.

But she didn't notice. Not even her mate, Mason thought conceitedly. The process looked slow, but he noticed the subtle red in her eyes – always lurking but never fully taking control.

He could use this to his advantage. If he released that thing then imagine the destruction it would cause! Everything was ready and set and all Mason had to do was take Nine to his pack. And if that old man was right then Nine was naïve to lying. Another thing that Mason excelled at.

"Alright, alright – I'll back away for now." He said lightly and raised his hands in surrender. "I mean I wouldn't want to awaken that thing inside of you."

Nine suddenly jerked forward. She stumbled to a stop, confused to what just happened. Frowning deeply, she looked to the ever smirking Alpha.

"What did you do?!" she snapped, her fists clenched to her side and she took a threatening step forward.

"Me! Nothing!" Mason replied with false innocence. "But you on the other hand are slowly losing control." He told her and watched the internal battle occur within her changing eyes.

"W-What are you taking about?" Nine finally relented. She didn't like the way he looked at her – like he knew something she didn't. And that was making her angry.

"You haven't noticed?!" Mason let out an abrupt laugh and wiped away a fake tear before letting a solemn look fall upon his face. "Don't you find your behaviour a little strange lately?" he asked and watched as her head tilted down slightly.

"Maybe." Nine's eyes narrowed.

Nodding his head, Mason looked around the basement casually. "I can assure you that the training you have going on to ease whatever problem you have, will not work."

Nine deeply inhaled and held in a growl.

She knew that! She knew the sparring would not work but it at least taught her some control. But it was not enough! She needed-

"Wolf Bane." Mason said as if he read her thoughts. His eyes bored into hers making her feel uncomfortable.

"You know it's not an easy plant to come by." He started and slowly inched his way closer to her. "I mean, it is banned for packs to have it and I'm sure Slade is all about obeying the law, so he definitely would not allow Wolfs Bane into his pack."

Nine's eyes fell to the ground. She remembered the discussion she had with him. She told him about needing the Wolfs Bane but he said for that to be the last resort. He wanted her to use a different method because of the side effects of the plant. He wasn't willing to risk her safety even though it helped her more then it harmed her.

"But..." Mason drawled out. He was a foot away from Nine. "I do have some and I am willing to give them to you."

Her eyes snapped to his in a second. Nine looked at Mason as if she was a hard core drug addict and he was dangling the addicting drug right in front of her face. Though it was not Nine he was aiming for, no – she had no need for the plant, but that monster...now he craved it.

Mason chuckled darkly. Guess the old man was right, he thought wickedly.

"Too bad I left it at my pack." He said sadly moving away from the she-wolf who looked like she wanted to say something but bit her lip to stop herself.

"I am leaving tomorrow, so maybe you could tag along?" he left the question hanging in the air before turning around and walking away.

As soon as he was gone, Nine's feet gave out. Dropping to the floor, she was dripping in cold sweat, her throat tightening and she felt herself suffocating. She couldn't swallow or breath but her mind was running a mile a minute.

Though there was only one thought that always repeated itself.

Wolfs Bane.

***

"Nine, there you are!" Tori called out when she spotted her hunched over and slowly walking down the hallway with the box in her hands. Catching up to her, Tori took the box and placed it on the ground. She looked at Nine in concern.

"Hey, you okay?" she asked softly and brought Nine into a hug. She didn't like that Mason came out without a scratch but Nine came out like she saw a ghost or something much worse.

Shaking her head and pulling away, she looked at her worried friend. "I need Slade." Nine whispered, suddenly feeling exposed and vulnerable.

Nodding her head and her arms still around her, Tori led Nine to her mate. On the way others noticed their Luna's suddenly blue mood and all asked if she was alright. Tori was the one who answered them all the while briskly walking towards Slade's office.

Finally reaching it, Tori let Nine slip in and closed the door behind her. She paused with her hand still on the knob and a deep frown on her face. There was something different about Nine and it was not what happened moments ago. She couldn't put her finger on it but Nine was slowly acting like someone entirely different.

Tori hoped she was wrong and that it was just a phase for Nine. But as she turned around and left, there was that lingering feeling in the back of her head that things were about to change.

***

"Nine? What's wrong?" Slade stood up from his seat and walked straight to his mate and engulfed her in a hug.

Laying her head on his shoulder, she whispered, "I feel strange."

Slade tried to keep himself from stiffening. "Is it the beast?" he asked and rubbed her back soothingly. He tightened his grip when she nodded slightly. Nine lifted her head and looked at her mate with a scared expression.

"I-I don't know what's happening b-but I think I'm changing." She told him, her fear shown through her eyes.

Slade didn't know how to reassure her. He felt it to. Nine was not acting like her normal self. It was also affecting the mark. He could feel something strange whenever Nine would act differently. It always put him on edge.

Placing his forehead on hers, he sighed. "I don't know what to say Nine." He said to her truthfully. "All we can do is try to find a way to dim down the beast."

Biting her lip, Nine hesitated to ask but did it anyway.

"Maybe Wolfs Ba-"

"No!" Slade pulled back, now his eyes showed his fear. "No." he said more softly. "We'll keep that last. You know the effects of it Nine and I don't want it to happen to you." He told her gently and laid a kiss on her temple.

The silence was broken by the sound of Slade's phone ringing. Letting go of Nine, he moved to his desk and answered the call.

Nine waited patiently until he finished before asking who it was.

"It was Councilman Zander. It turns out he can only make it next week." Slade moved back to Nine and brought her in his arms, smiling down at her. "But the good news is, Alpha Mason doesn't have to stay here any longer. He can go back to his pack."

Slade barely picked up Nine's tension before she forced herself to relax.

"I guess you should go tell Mason." She mumbled into his chest.

Humming in agreement, Slade stepped away and took a hold of her hand. "Let's go get rid off him together."

Nine laughed with him as they both exited the office and headed to the dining room where he and his warriors were having dinner.

Mason easily taking notice of the pairs presence, conceitedly grinned up at them.

"Ah, so glad you could join us! I was starting to think you hated me or something." Mason laughed at his own joke, along with his pack. Slade finding no amusement in it, got straight to the point.

"You can leave my territory now. The council can only come next week, so I'll see you then." He grumbled out.

Mason ceased his laughter but not his smirk. "Oh well, I guess our alliance will wait until then."

"I'll have Ryan get your cars ready." Slade muttered but was stopped by the Alpha.

"Come now, Slade. It's getting late. We'll stay one more night and leave bright and early tomorrow." He said, staring at Nine in particular as if he was silently inviting her to join him.

Nine looked away from him only to shake Slade's arm lightly when she knew he was getting angry. "Fine." Slade said through gritted teeth and walked away with Nine trailing with him. The pair headed for their room, thinking it was best for them to retire early. Any second more in Mason's presence would not end well for either of them.

When it was time for bed, Nine completed her daily routine before turning off the lights and joining her mate on the bed. She curled up under the covers, watching her mate while he stayed on his back and stared at the ceiling.

Slade exhaled through his mouth and moved to his side. His arms wrapped around his mate and brought her closer to him. Eyes feeling heavy, he breathed in Nine's scent and kissed her head.

"Don't worry Nine, we'll find a way. I promise." He said, eyes slowly closing. He felt a peck on his cheek and he smiled.

"Night, Slade." Nine whispered.

He tightened his hold. "Night, my Queen."

***

Nine awoke to a sudden pain in her left leg. She jerked awake and opened her eyes but what she saw was her worst nightmare.

'No, no, no, no!' She was stuck on repeat. Nine began to panic. 'Please! Stop!' She begged the beast who only chuckled at her.

She could only watch as her body was being controlled by the beast.

Nine was no longer in control of herself. She was pushed back inside that internal abyss that the beast resided in but now it was her turn. She didn't think the beast could take over her human form! It shouldn't be possible!

He was getting stronger while she was too weak!

She was helpless as she watched through her eyes as she slowly walked down the stairs. It seemed so foreign to her! To see herself but not be in control.

'Where are you going?' She yelled out into the darkness. Eyes wide with fright when her body moved to open the front door.

No need to be scared Nine. I'm going to go have my fun.

The beast responded.

'Please, don't!' she pleaded and tried hard to gain control but she was too far in. Her chest heaved as she saw Mason who was up and ready to leave. He turned to her and smirked.

"So glad you could join us!" he said and opened the back door for her. The beast easily manoeuvring her body inside the car.

'No, please don't do this! Anything but this!' Nine shook her head, tears sprung to her eyes. She couldn't go through this again!

Don't worry. The beast grinned. You won't be seeing a thing. Just leave it all...to me.

'No! Wait! Please! You can't do this!' Nine cried out just as the darkness consumed her. The light began to fade and slowly she began to fall.

Deep into the abyss.

***

A/N

Hmmm, this chapter seems a little rushed...WELL IT WAS!!! MWHAHAH! 

ya okay, well i did complete this in the last five hours before i went to sleep. I swear writing in 3rd POV is so much longer and tiring!! 

Now i will sleep. hope you enjoy this chapter and if you have any questions please hesitate first and then ask away :D hehe!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.9K 3.2K 36
{ I n p r o g r e s s } /ˈwerˌwo͝olf/: a human with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature. After the tr...
799K 36.2K 27
Drunk driving is a big problem in the world. One wrong decision can possibly end someone's life. That's what happened to Kasey Walker. She and her tw...
3.5M 155K 61
[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her best to fit in the pack. Just when she tho...
478K 15.2K 35
COMPLETED. Avery was best friends with the soon to be alpha of the pack, she was so sure they'd be mates. But her world is abruptly ripped apart when...