Forbidden Feast

Od MissBonnett

The beloved prince of vampires, Mathew didn't want a bodyguard, didn't want to fall in love with him, and def... Více

Standalones in the Picky Eater series
Ch. 1: I'm Mathew Darling
Ch. 2: brown eyes and pretty boys
Ch. 3: Can I touch you?
Ch. 4: Your highness
Ch. 5: I can do this
Ch. 7: Follow your heart
Ch. 8: I'm a fly on the wall.
Ch. 9: Just stay by my side.
Ch. 10: you're with me now
Ch. 11: No Hickeys
Ch. 12: I got him
Ch. 13: stay close to me
Ch. 14: You laughed
Ch. 15: Okay, Nancy Drew
Ch. 16: It was me
Ch. 17: I locked the door
Ch. 18: your bodyguard is so hot
Ch. 19: You've never?
Ch. 20: a killer
Ch. 21: I'm kidnapping you.
Ch. 22: Do you love me?
Ch. 23: You're mine.
Ch. 24: Good luck at school.
Ch. 25: This is crazy.
Ch. 26: Don't lie to me.
Ch. 27: You're not my King.
Ch. 28: We can change you too.

Ch. 6: Did you hear that?

373 23 19
Od MissBonnett

Mathew was homeschooled his entire life, but he knew when you were called to the principal's office, it was typically a bad sign. Led by the police, Mathew and Jace with a full group of guys from their dorm joined an extensive line of students, waiting for their turn to be questioned.

Mathew recognized over half of them from the party last night by what they were still wearing and the way they still reeked of alcohol. Everyone else looked like they were ripped right out of bed in their pajamas. Some people were also better at hiding their hangover than others.

Jace passed the only empty chair left, standing right beside it and motioning Mathew to sit down. This couldn't be in the job description. It was too cheesy, and who was he trying to impress? Dante wasn't even here to praise his work. Glaring at him, Mathew sat down anyway to avoid making a scene. Everyone was whispering, keeping their voices down, and Jace took out his phone.

Mathew received a text:

Jace: Mesmerize the police. Tell them we're not suspicious enough to be suspects.

Mathew glanced up and Jace was already looking at him. He nodded and pocketed his phone. He wasn't worried about Jace being the murderer, not with those vampire bites on Elijah, and especially not when Jace spent the entire party arguing with him. Mathew's phone buzzed again and checked the message without thinking.

Jace: You can also tell them I'm too cute to give a hard time.

Mathew bit down a smile, put his phone away, and turned his face away from Jace. He had twice as many reasons to be angry with Jace and hate him than to have any reason to smile for him. If this was his way of trying to get on Mathew's good side, it wasn't a trick Mathew would fall for. Jace tapped his shoulder urgently, and Mathew turned right into Jace's pointed finger like a sucker.

Mathew's jaw dropped at Jace's great big smiling face, letting out a huff. "You're so stupid."

Jace shrugged a little, obviously pleased with himself, but didn't bother Mathew again. They called students inside one by one until finally it was Jace's turn. He popped off the wall, glancing back at Mathew to whisper, "I'll wait for you."

Jace disappeared into the office, and he wasn't there for long. They let him go, and the officer called, "Mathew Darling?"

With a nod, Mathew followed the police inside. They showed him a leather armchair that faced the police and the headmaster, Stewart Wilkie.

"They're just going to ask you routine questions," the headmaster explained. He motioned towards the door. "You're free to go, if you'd prefer, but they're just general questions."

"Okay," Mathew said, glancing at the officer.

"Thank you," she said. "Mathew Darling, correct?" When Mathew nodded, she went on with her question. "Did you know the victim?"

"Yes, we were having sex," Mathew said, and all eyes pinned onto Mathew's face. It was an old trick his sister, Bianca, abused to mesmerize multiple people at once. Say something shocking and you have their complete attention.

"You questioned Mathew Darling and found nothing suspicious from his answers. Jace Wright is also not suspicious. We're both free to go."

"Thank you for answering our questions," the officer said in a daze. She took a breath, blinking the brain fog away. Mathew just sat there patiently with a smile, waiting for his cue. "You're free to go," she said.

She followed him to the door, letting him go, but not before one last comment. "If you think of anything that might help, feel free to call."

"I will."

Headmaster Wilkie called, "Grant Mahoney!"

Mathew got out of the way, letting the next guy through and he found Jace, standing up for them to go when suddenly, Grant stepped in the way. "Hey, Matty," Grant said.

"Grant. I'd stop to chat with you, but I'd rather throw myself into the lake."

Grant grinned, as if Mathew had just told him he was the prettiest girl at the dance.

"Mahoney," the officer called him again.

"I'm coming," Grant said, dragging himself past Mathew. He whispered in passing. "You just get cuter every day."

Mathew flinched away. Falling right into Grant's game and he just snickered to himself, all giddy as he stepped into the office.

A sigh filtered into the room and Mathew was surprised it didn't come from him. He turned around and found the dorm mother, Noah. Noah shook his head. He wore a big sweatshirt and sweatpants, all branded by the school.

"What is it?" Mathew asked.

"It's just crazy to me he can act so normal," Noah said. He glanced up and Mathew followed, his eyes behind him. Jace was right there, quietly looking over Mathew's shoulder.

"Because they were dating?" Mathew whispered.

"Dating is a big word, but... but I know Elijah was special to Grant or he wouldn't have been with him so much. I mean..." Noah blinked and readjusted his seat. He glanced around as if he just remembered where he was sitting.

Mathew stood closer. "What?"

"I mean, it wouldn't be weird if Grant was the last person to see Elijah alive."

"Right." Mathew nodded, glancing at the headmaster's door. The curiosity inside of Mathew crackled, sparking life into his soul. He smiled awkwardly at Noah before sliding around Jace and hurrying down the hall. He noticed there was a window outside the office and a tree. If he could manage it, Mathew might hear even just a little of Grant's interview.

Breaking back into the fall outside and the crisp air, Mathew went for his phone to text Jace to follow him, but as soon as the door closed, it opened again.

Jace was right behind him again. Mathew didn't have to ask. Jace said, "You want to eavesdrop on Grant's interview?"

"I do."

"What does this have to do with your parent's death?"

"You saw Elijah's body, right? Those were vampire bites. Even if Grant isn't involved, Noah is right, he might know Elijah's last whereabouts." Mathew arrived at the tree outside the headmaster's office. "It could be nothing, but that's all I really have. Nothing."

Jace hummed, neither agreeing or disagreeing. He just bent down and held his hands. Mathew stepped into his fingers and helped lift Mathew into the tree. He held out his hand to stop Jace from joining him. There was barely enough room for him, let alone that mountainous man.

Ducking his head, Mathew just listened, hearing Grant tell his story. "Look, the party was mine and a few buddies. I didn't have time to focus on Eli."

"Did he need focus?" An officer asked.

"He's always mad about something. Elijah and I bickered, but we were still flirting. We fought, but it was all foreplay. That's just the way me and Eli worked."

"When did you see him last?"

"At the party. We never had the chance to talk. I was too busy drinking my buddies under the table."

"Mahoney," the headmaster sighed.

"What?" Grant laughed, happy to have gotten a rise out of their headmaster. "I don't want to lie to the officers."

"Where were you between the hours of midnight and two am?"

"I wasn't checking my watch. I could've been eating, just hanging, playing beer pong, or taking a shit. I don't know, but you can ask anybody. I got a house full of people who would vouch for me. I was there all night."

"Alright," the officer said after a lull. "Thank you for your time, Mr. Mahoney. We might ask you a few more questions at a later time."

"Fine by me."

Mathew heard some shuffling and the office door opening. He waited, listening to the silence, anticipating more. Just when he thought about giving up, Mathew overheard the officer. She sighed. "It's strange. No one has mentioned Robin."

Mathew perked up.

"Not one person has asked, and she's missing on top of everything. Was Robin less popular than you thought?"

The headmaster said, "It's only been a day. Give it time."

"Only her roommate noticed she was gone. It's like she never existed."

"Don't you think that's dramatic, officer?"

The officer didn't answer. Mathew tried thinking back, but he didn't know about any Robin in his class.

"I might keep my reaction in check if she wasn't the third person to go missing this year and now there's a body."

"Matty," Jace whispered, yanking on Mathew's pants. Without thinking, Mathew let himself slide off the branch and he landed with a thud inside Jace's arms. Finding purchase against his chest was more stable than if he hit the ground. Mathew's cheek grazed Jace's and a pop of static pricked Mathew's cheek. That one little spark was enough to set Mathew's skin on fire. His blood warmed, threatening to boil. His body was having a reaction to Jace. Mathew leaned back, meeting Jace's equally surprised face. It was clear. Whatever just happened to Mathew? Happened to Jace too.

Jace blinked, something catching his eyes at the side, and he took a sharp breath, whipping Mathew around until his back hit the tree. Jace covered Mathew's cheeks with his big, warm hands and closed the distance. Jace swept Mathew up into a kiss. Mathew's body went rigid. He clutched Jace's arms tight as everything disappeared. Mathew forgot everything at the moment. No thoughts. He could hear people talking, but it was like being plunged underwater.

The only thing that existed was this kiss. Jace's nose sliding up against Mathew's as his mouth seized control. He opened Mathew's mouth, kissing his bottom lip, then top, and Mathew squirmed, unable to handle the heat. Jace's mouth was so hot. Mathew could stick his hand in an oven, but Jace's mouth would be hotter. He was going to be burned alive. Mathew had always thought werewolves received their powers from the moon, but Jace was so much closer to the dangerous sun.

Breaking the kiss, Mathew slowly opened his eyes and found Jace. He was looking at the building door, checking their surroundings. His brow furrowed, and Mathew noted the deep wrinkle between his brows. His lips too. They were naturally downturned. Mathew had a thought that maybe that was why he had a bad first impression.

"Did you hear that?" Jace asked, his eyes still on whoever was passing by. "They think the bites might be animal related."

"No," Mathew whispered, still needing more time to catch his breath. "I didn't hear anything."

Jace's brows jumped up his forehead, and he looked back at Mathew again. Their brown eyes meeting again, sparking up the air around them.

Jace chuckled and shook his head. His smile changed. It was brighter and sunnier than what Mathew was used to seeing. "You know," he said. "This is why you get bullied."

"Huh?" Mathew blinked, sobering up.

"It's because you're cute."

"Huh?"

Jace just shook his head again and left Mathew, taking all his warmth with him. He shoved his hands into his pockets and this time, Mathew was the one who had to follow him. 

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

100K 1.6K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
3M 35.7K 26
*{COMPLETED}* *First book of MHIAG* That's when I remembered that I bumped into someone. I looked up quickly to be met with two grey eyes looking me...
249K 13.8K 36
For the last year, Audrey has been watching over Charlotte Astor, heir to the world's biggest software company. She knows this summer will be filled...
52.6K 3.3K 86
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 | 𝐌𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐇𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 It's all fun and games until someone suggests killing each other's spouses for revenge. M...