Lament (Sebastian Sallow)

By EllaSallow

In the year 1900, Penelope Silverthorn returns to Hogwarts after eight years of leaving only to find herself... More

Lament (Sebastian Sallow)
Prologue
Chapter 1: Floor -4
Chapter 2: Professor Sallow
Chapter 3: Luna, The Dog
Chapter 4: Percy
Chapter 5: P.S (P.S)
Chapter 6: Sebastian's Journal
Chapter 7: Pen, Get It?
Chapter 8: We're All Parentless
Chapter 9: Cecil's Red Flags
Chapter 11: Sebastian's Grudge
Chapter 12: A Summer Fling
Chapter 13: A Drunken Owl
Chapter 14: I Think I'm Drunk
Chapter 15: Sister-In-Law
Chapter 16: Prewett's Legacy
Chapter 17: Coach Sallow
Chapter 18: Time For A Proper Welcome Back
Chapter 19: The Rabid Fiancée
Chapter 20: At What Cost?
Chapter 21: The Undercroft
Chapter 21 1/2: Expect The Unexpected
Chapter 22: Missed Me, Britain?
Chapter 23: Poppy's Reflection
Chapter 24: Matching Rings
Chapter 25: Sebastian's (Dis)Respect
Chapter 26: Professor Sallow's Office
Chapter 27: Halloween Night Part 1
Chapter 27: Halloween Night Part 2
Chapter 28: Did Merlin Do This Too? *
Chapter 29: Dreams Show Signs *
Chapter 30: Sebastian's Nemesis
Chapter 31: Professor Sallow's Outburst
Chapter 32: Restricted Section, Restricted Things *

Chapter 10: Professor Sallow's Distraction

1.9K 72 217
By EllaSallow

Chapter 10: Professor Sallow's Distraction

"So if the chain is on your door,
I understand,"
Taylor Swift

Penelope Silverthorn sat leg-crossed inside that room in the Headmaster's wing the very next morning. Her fingers tapped nervously over the parchment documents below as she bit her lower lip anxiously.

"Miss Silverthorn?"

Penelope's eyes shot up at the name call and she felt as if her forehead line was beginning to sweat from the spotlight in today's faculty meeting.

"Sorry, Pro—I mean, Headmistress Weasley?" Penelope cleared her throat, dropping the quill pen from her fingers.

"We are recollecting your experience at St. Mungos last week," Matilda Weasley spoke to her, adjusting her glasses, "I know you explained your crossed connection with the ill students already, but I was wondering if you wanted to elaborate more."

Penelope blinked, her mouth parting a little and her eyes landing on the familiar brown leather journal on her lap.

The notes, right, the notes. Penelope reminded in her head.

Penelope cleared her throat, her fingers going down and flipping through the journal; it was out of sight from the others around.

Sebastian Sallow was nearby. It would've been a secondhand embarrassment to release his personal items to the other members right there.

Her eyes scanned through the note-taking of the case. Sebastian's notes getting her attention at each read while she tried to focus on her own.

At some point, Penelope's eyelashes glanced over the brown hairs from afar. Professor Sallow's stare was already on Penelope's as he had been watching each movement of hers since the meeting.

His notes were distracting. Penelope wondered whether this had been the proper time to call out the professor and ask him about what he had written himself, but the topic would change.

Perhaps, Sebastian wasn't revealing these notes for a reason. Perhaps, it was a discussion that needed to be held more privately first.

"Uh, no," Penelope finally brought her gaze back at the other members, "I've explained well enough my experience with the students. I would like to elaborate more when I look for more findings and investigate. If that's alright?"

"Of course, Miss Silverthorn," Matilda gave a nod, "Would anyone else like to add-in to the case?"

Victor Baufort, the French Auror, raised a finger and Penelope flushed a little, realizing that he was about to speak with her on the topic.

"Morning, Dame Silverthorn," Victor gave off with an accent on the tip of his tongue as he bowed, "I would like to incorporate...these 'visions' that you seen with so children...are they all the same?"

Penelope slightly nodded, "No. Same vision, but there is a concept and connection regarding all of us."

"Us, as in you too? Does this make you involved in the curse?"

Penelope felt heated, not wanting to be the center of the curse. It was rare that it was her who discovered it was a haunting connection over her head, but she didn't want to be at fault.

"Wizards with special abilities tend to have more of a deeper feel with certain magic," Percy Dumbledore saved the conversation over her, "As in, how I mentioned, I also do sense a certain bad aura within the luring effect. It's not just her."

Penelope nodded, but stared over at Percy next to her, giving off a "Thanks," expression and he nodded back.

"Very well. Making sure." Victor nodded, adjusting his tie before taking a seat.

"Silverthorn—pardon me, Miss Silverthorn," Aesop Sharp cleared his throat loudly, "My apologies, I am still adjusting to the fact that you are no longer a student."

The potions professor grew a hate-care relationship with Penelope Silverthorn since her late arrival at Hogwarts. The students tested his abilities in potions and always bothered him to exceed more lessons and spells over the years at Hogwarts.

Plus, Aesop Sharp taught her powerful spells that only she was capable of performing.

Penelope gave a small laugh over the understanding, "I would say the same, Sharp."

"Say, you had some knowledge about potions, alongside Mister Sallow here," Aesop pointed at the young professor beside him.

Penelope avoided looking straight in that direction and kept her nods short at the reminder.

"You two exceeded potions class both OWLs and NEWTs, so it would only be fair to say if there is any possible potion that could be recommended in the meantime." Aesop wondered.

Penelope wondered along, beginning to think through the questioning.

"Well," Sebastian Sallow's firm voice echoed over the room.

The twenty six year old shuffled within his seat, bringing his fingers forward as he began to speak very professionally over the topic. All in front of his old professors, and of course, past lover.

"I believe with the new findings Miss S has unlocked us with," Sebastian glared over Penelope, but immediately looked away to the others, "We know now that the hallucinations and night terrors play a big role. The Sleeping Draughts might no longer have an effect if that's the case."

"Then what do you recommend?" Aesop stared over Professor Sallow.

Penelope watched as Sebastian put on his glasses and crouched over his spare journal; his long fingers tracing over his handwriting as he spoke.

"Maybe, in the meantime, we could press small doses of, Tranquart." Sebastian suggested.

...

Fifth year Penelope Silverthorn glared over the cracking fireplace ahead of her. Her eyes were at their lowest as her fingers trembled every second from the events of defeating Ranrok and losing her only guardian, Eleazar FIg.

"Pen?"

Penelope ignored the voice, avoiding to speak to anyone. Her ancient magic was only fresh and she was afraid she'd hurt anyone from the upcoming depression.

"Pen..."

"If you're here to tell me to go rest, I'd rather you leave me alone," Penelope said in a whisper, her words only sounding murmurous, "Be like Ominis."

Sebastian Sallow sighed, his tired hazel eyes upward over the enchanted clock in the common room; 4am.

"I'm not," Sebastian said, walking his way slowly to her and gliding his hands over the rough green couch, "Can I sit with you?"

Penelope blinked, taking the realization that Sebastian Sallow was back in his common room. He was back from being held in the Headmaster's office the last few days.

"I'm surprised you're here," Penelope said in a more settled tone.

Sebastian sat slowly on that couch beside her and rested his hands on his knees as crouched forward, also looking at the crackling fireplace.

"Well," He turned to her, with also a tired expression, "Would you rather me be here or in Azkaban?"

Penelope sighed and closed her eyes, "Please, stop. I already lost enough."

Sebastian gave an apologetic look, and looked down, "Well, I'm not going anywhere. I'm here to stay, with lots of consequences that are going to affect my future, but I'm here." He sighed at the thought.

Penelope Silverthorn wanted to turn to Sebastian Sallow and ask him so many questions about what they told him. What were the consequences of taking his uncle's life? Where was he going? How was this affecting his future? — but she was too emotional to ask at the time.

Penelope was relieved Sebastian was beside her. She wasn't capable of also losing someone she cared about the very same year.

"Here," Sebastian let out of the blue a few minutes later, bringing his hand forward with a small item.

Penelope stared down at the vial in place and shook her head, ignoring it, "No use. There's not enough vials of draughts I've taken to help me."

"It's not any of those," Sebastian assured.

Penelope kept her view on the vial, the purple hue liquid swirling magically inside it.

"W-What is it?"

Sebastian shrugged, "Well, you know I've spent the last year expertise and experience with potions that might save Anne." He informed, "Which I failed, unfortunately."

Penelope closed her eyes at the reminder of Anne Sallow having no contact with her twin brother from the prior events that had happened.

"But...but, you came along too," Sebastian swallowed from his confession, "And I know you mentioned how your ancient magic affects you and now...your nights might be brutal."

"They are." Penelope said weakly.

"I call it the Tranquart Heal." Sebastian let out.

"I never—"

"Because I made it up," Sebastian fixed, bringing the vial forward, "I want you—I need you to take it, Pen."

Penelope never doubted Sebastian Sallow. He always knew his ways with potions and healing. He had helped her a lot in their ventures together, so second-guessing anything from him was rare.

"If it doesn't work, you could ignore me too," Sebastian shrugged, "It's not like everyone else is already."

"Sebastian..."

"If it does work, then let me know. I have the formula. I'll make more until you feel better, again." Sebastian assured her in care, "It's the best I can do after everything you've done for me."

And he did care about her, a lot. They were only in the fifth year, but the care they grew between them was uncommon.

Penelope Silverthorn doesn't remember much of that night. She remembered taking the vial and feeling sleepy beside Sebastian Sallow. In a flick, she dreamt of sunshine and rainbows before she woke up in her dormitory bed.

It worked for her, but she lost the formula when she moved to America.

...

"Tranquart Heal," Aesop Sharp repeated, "The potion you've mastered."

"Tranquart Heal? Curse-breakers carry around vials of those for victims before a mission at the ministry," Percy out, squinting, "You invented it?"

Professor Sallow shrugged, not used to the praise, "I did, but I sold the credibility. Nothing special."

Penelope froze in surprise at the information being given out. It felt like every good news that happened in the region, stayed in the region. She knew nothing of this, but it was also her fault.

"I agree," Penelope Silverthorn finally called out, making heads turn, "I agree vials of Transquart Heal should be made to test out on the students. It's the best we can do in the meantime."

"Yes," Sebastian agreed with her, "We could start with one vial every 12 hours, and if it does not take effect, we can decrease time intervals."

Penelope just nodded at him

The direct eye contact between the two seemed rare, but there was a small spark of communication. Something they hadn't done at all. Communicating like proper adults and working together.

"We can keep up-front with Nurse Blainey on the intakes. It sounds like a proper layout for now." Matilda Weasley let out, closing the parchments with her wand, "I believe we can call this an end to the meeting."

Penelope let out a relief from the end. Nothing felt more overwhelming than being in a room full of adults and targeting herself on the cause. It was challenging.

Penelope Silverthorn exited that important room with no hurry. Her arms clutched over her books as she slowly walked, letting others pass her.

Sebastian Sallow passed her, his journal on his side as he seemed on a rush down the stairs.

Penelope wondered if he had a class. She wondered what his classes were like. She wondered how he taught. She wondered—

"Miss Silverthorn!"

Penelope stopped mid-stairs, turning over the voice and glancing up at Percy Dumbledore who walked down the stairs, succeeding in catching up to her.

"May I have a word with you?"

"Percy....oh, yeah, sure," Penelope said as they both continuously went down the long spiral stairs.

"I know there's lots to uncover on this case, as you know," Percy reminded.

Penelope huffed, "Yeah, believe me."

"I'd like to add, have you done a stroll to Hogsmeade already? It'll be great if you've had the time to discuss and catch, let's say, a drink in Hogs Head one of these days." Percy invited.

Penelope stood frozen for a moment at the invitation. She hadn't stepped foot in Hogsmeade for years, but going with Percy Dumbledore felt odd. Not in a bad way, but It felt different.

This might've been a perfect opportunity to get to know the Dumbledores. It was said he wasn't the only one at Hogwarts and the family history seemed intriguing. She wanted to know more.

"Merlin, I hope you're not thinking the wrong idea. I was just hoping with the overwhelming case we've had, perhaps, a bit of a break can help. You can refuse. I completely—"

"Sure." Penelope gave a smile to agree, "I don't mind, Percy. Thank you for the invitation. Let me know a day, I'm sure I'm free most of my time." She laughed.

Percy Dumbledore gave a bright smile, feeling a bit static from befriending a powerful witch who was as special as him, and nodded.

"Fantastic."

Penelope Silverthorn sat over the green grass of the Vivarium around noon time that same day. Her body rested as her hands caressed over the magical beasts around her and her dog, Luna.

"Now," Penelope blinked twice, tapping the dog's back, "Has Poppy been double feeding you with treats these days?"

Luna went on her back, rolling over her owner as Penelope just laughed, "Or perhaps the students?"

Penelope took a loud breath, enjoying the clear nature of the setting. The wispy air, the sounds of birds, and the bright shining sun that might've given her a tan if she didn't move anytime soon.

It felt like an escape. Penelope knew that once she left this magical place she made up in her head, she'll have to face reality. Confront the real problems and be unable to hide here again until later.

And she thought about the meeting. The curse. The notes.

"The notes," Penelope said out loud to herself, concentrating more.

There was debate for over an hour to herself whether it was the right idea to bring out the notes to Sebastian Sallow, but how?

"Am I capable of this, Luna?" Penelope asked, petting the dog, "It feels wrong."

Penelope shivered, feeling a few Puffskeins rolling over her feet as she sighed at the thought.

"Alright fine, if one more Puffskeim rolls over my leg, I'll go and try speaking to him." Penelope joked to herself.

Penelope had been sure no Puffskeins were left. She only owned five. Just five.

Poof.

A gasp escaped her mouth at the new appearance of a Puffskein and she sat up, eyeing it.

"Where the hell did you come from?" She screeched, "Did Poppy upgrade you?"

The Vivarium stared over at the owner and Penelope sighed, closing her eyes and bringing her senses to reality.

It was ridiculous. It was ridiculous to think this way. She was no longer a teenager to be thinking so immaturely. She was an adult.

As Cecil Greengrass mentioned, they were all adults. The past could be put aside.

Right, yeah. The man was fucking engaged, what was there to worry? It was professional talk. Penelope thought to herself.

Penelope Silverthorn's shoes clicked over those marbled floors of the Defense Against the Dark Arts tower. Her posture firm as if her heart wasn't racing a million beats per second at the entrance.

She hadn't entered the DADA tower since the first day. When she first confronted the professor and practically felt her heart drop to her stomach from the unexpected shows and news.

The setting became an unsettling place over Penelope's mind now. And it was upsetting because the DADA tower was once a safe place over her.

"You would have to flick your wand twice. Remember, ladies and gents, twice."

No classical music could take over the thick vibrational voice of Sebastian Sallow on those first two floors. The professor's tone was loud and clear from afar; it would overtake the echoes.

"He's teaching," Penelope whispered to herself at the voice.

Penelope debated whether this was an awful idea and left the premises, but she was already there. And if time was correct, the class was nearing an end.

It needed to happen. They were going to talk eventually, so why not make it happen now?

Penelope grasped the journal over her back as she climbed the stairs, ignoring the fact that the statue of the Undercroft entrance was feet away.

She wasn't ready for that, yet.

Professor Sallow's voice became clear and coherent at each step Penelope took. His voice being the music of the DADA hallways.

Professor Sallow tended to have his door open during class time. He had this sense of claustrophobia in close-in spaces, so he always kept his classroom door open. And for the comfort of his students.

Penelope was careful with her arrival, her body peeking slowly through the door frame of the classroom as she witnessed the last lesson of teaching.

"Now, if 60% of the class manages to master the incantation by this Friday, we can,"

Professor Sallow mastered multitasking. He was known for that, but for just a second, the well-known skill disappeared when his eyes flickered over the figure from afar.

He needed to blink twice to assure himself that it was Penelope Silverthorn standing over that door. Her figure was gentle over the frame as his hands rubbed his chin from the distraction and brought it back to his hip.

Penelope was burning from the catch. She wouldn't think Sebastian would take notice, but he did and now she felt like a disruption. She was right there.

The professor cleared his throat, continuing his previous words, but he could sense a few of his fourth year students turning at the doorframe.

"As I was saying, if you master the incantation, we can learn the Impedime-"

Before the students could react, the bell rang, calling the class a finish and making the students prepare for an exit.

"Remember, more than 60%!" Professor Sallow pointed out, "Have a good rest of the day everyone."

Penelope stepped aside, letting the fourth year students begin to pass by her on that door.

A few students glared at her in a double take, assuring that it was the Penelope Silverthorn while others gossiped behind as they stared and waved at her.

"She's that cool witch!"

"I heard she can use magic with her hands like nothing."

"I heard her and Mister S dated,"

Penelope nearly had a choke in air from the last comment and tried to ignore the gossip as she lost count of how many students she interacted with on that exit.

As the last student departed, Penelope leaned over that frame, staring blankly at the floor and reflecting on her popularity before reality hit her.

"P—Miss S?"

Penelope gave out a weak gasp at the call out of Sebastian Sallow and she turned, adjusting her posture, finally confronting the professor from afar.

"I...I, sorry, I didn't mean to disrupt in any way in your class—"

"No, no, you didn't. Come in." Sebastian gestured in a motion to welcome her in.

Sebastian Sallow's fingers were twirling over the chalk in his hands as he tried to hide his shock at having Penelope Silverthorn's presence in the room. It felt like an illusion.

"T-Thanks." Penelope said awkwardly, stepping deeper into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and watching Sebastian's posture.

Sebastian leaned over his desk, crossing his arms and keeping a firm body language toward Penelope as he stared at her.

He still kept his glasses on from prior teaching and the white sleeves of his shirt were rolled up, the hairy arms peaking thoroughly as his chest rose from the view.

Penelope's lips parted. It wasn't intentional, but the view was distracting.

Sebastian Sallow was handsome, and she knew that. She always did.

"Can I help you with anything?" Sebastian asked, nervously.

Penelope's throat was closed. It was embarrassing for her. She had never failed a conversation with anyone. She was always proper and firm, but right now, it was new.

"I, uh, well," Penelope revealed the personalized journal she held since she got it and waved it a little, "I was just wondering if you had the time to speak about...if I could speak to you about the journal. The note-taking for the case."

Sebastian's lips also parted at her speaking — how silly of him to think she was here for other reasons. For closure or something. How silly.

"Oh," Sebastian leaned his throat again, unfolding his arms and walking toward the chalkboard, placing the small white chalk on it, "I apologize if my writing is scribbled. My handwriting hasn't been the best lately."

But his handwriting was perfect by nature. Penelope understood it so well. So perfectly.

"Oh, no," Penelope looked down, letting out the first ice break and laughing softly, "Your handwriting is well, Mister Sallow." She assured him, "I was referring to a few questions I've had over the note-taking involving the case."

Sebastian nodded, listening to every single word she said, and took a deep breath, "Yeah, right, right...erm, my notes are actually up in my office. Perhaps, we can discuss your questions and concerns in there?"

Penelope looked over at the locked office above the small stairs of the classroom, remembering how it once belonged to Professor Hecat years ago.

Penelope pressed her lips together and took a breath, nodding.

"Of course..." Her eyes played around with the green board of the classroom and read, "Professor Sallow."

_______

Eeeeeee, the slow burn is burning.

Finally, I don't send his ass to Azkaban on this story, HAHAHA. But he does deal with a consequence of his actions that would reveal soon. 🤫

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.5K 1.1K 64
Riliegh Peverell begins as a fifth-year Ravenclaw at Hogwarts with a hazy memory of her past and a new identity as Riley Piper. Soon, she discovers t...
16 0 8
Aurora Edevane is an 8th year Gryffindor student, the Captain of the Quidditch team and the Head Girl. Sebastian Sallow was her best friend in 5th ye...
34.5K 1K 43
18+ aged up, slow burn, Sebastian Sallow x Original Character book. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ It had been years since Scarlett...
26K 1.2K 28
Rain Lancaster, fought for her life in her fifth year at Hogwarts. Now, in her seventh, it is not monsters she must battle, but the growing feelings...