Romeo. Eloise Bridgerton

By girIbite

'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter. Eloise Bridgerton / Fem! OC Bridgerton Season 1 ⎯ 3 ©girIbite... More

Romeo, save me, they're trying to tell me how to feel.
𝐨𝐨𝐨. History repeats itself
Act I. A diamond in the rough
𝑖. Something brittle
𝑖𝑖𝑖. Vauxhall celebration
𝑖𝑣. A scandal is best served cold
𝑣. Art is not always artistry
𝑣𝑖. Operation opera
𝑣𝑖𝑖. It's nice to have a friend
𝑣𝑖𝑖𝑖. Salt in the wound
𝑖π‘₯. Duchess Daphne
π‘₯. The queen's luncheon

𝑖𝑖. Lady Whistledown must die

993 51 81
By girIbite

Chapter 2
Lady Whistledown must die

A knock came from the closed door of Fleur's bedroom. And then another. And another. Until the knocking became so fast Fleur was unable to count them anymore.

            "Fleur, please," Lola's voice came through. "Open the door. You can't hide forever."

            "I can try." Fleur responded. She laid down on her bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Oh, come on, Fenny," Lola pleaded. "The Earth still shifts the same. The sun rises and sets every day still, whether the presentation was perfect or not. It wasn't all that bad."

            Fleur thought silently. She hoisted herself up from the bed to walk over to the door, opening it for Carlotta and no one else. The door closed again afterwards. Not that anyone else was in sight.

            "Hey, you wanna hear something that'll cheer you up?" Carlotta asked. Fleur nodded. "Mary Edgecombe, you remember her. She married the Count of Fulton," Fleur nodded again. "She apparently lives in agony now. She spends her days in a cottage alone."

            "Where'd you hear that?" Fleur asked as Lola sat down on her bed.

            "I don't know," Lola turned the paper in her hand around. "It simply showed up on our doorstep. But it is rather fun, is it not?"

            "I suppose I do find humour in it," Fleur managed to crack a smile at her sister's rebellion. "She was always very mean," She sat down beside her. "What else does this sheet of yours say? Lady Whistledown . . ." She read off of the page.

            Carlotta gave her sister the sheet, letting her read the front. When Fleur was about to turn the page, Lola protested. "Not the back—" She tried, but it had been too late at that time.

            Fleur read the words, and she wished she'd forgotten them immediately. The sheet spoke of Daphne's excellent appearance, and Fleur's lack of such. It described the situations of all families attending to the ton this year.

            "How . . . fortunate for Lady Whistledown," Fleur cleared her throat. "I've never heard of such a name. Should you think it is a pen name?"

            Lola shrugged. "I suppose. I don't find that part interesting. Her writing is what interests me more. Her gossip is real."

Before Fleur could answer, the door swung open. Zahara entered, a stressed expression on her face. "Why are you not dressed yet?"

Fleur stood up as Lola scurried out of the room under her mother's watchful eyes. "Sorry, Mama!" She shouted through the door.

Zahara scoffed, then sat down on the bed, in the place Fleur had only just been sitting. "You must not let the entrance bother you. We're just continuing what we've been doing, and that is finding you a husband," She said, sounding surprisingly stern. "Besides, it's not like we had extremely high hopes for today."

Fleur sniffed. "No, we didn't."

She thought about what her Mama had said. She felt more bothered by what she had said about finding a husband than what she said about the entrance. That wasn't normal, was it? This was the moment all young girls prepared for their entire life. Surely, she must feel more sad about ruining that chance (twice, might she add) than the promise of a husband, which was the entire reason this whole ordeal even existed in the first place.

"Silver tonight?" Mama asked out of the blue, practically running to the closet to take one of the newest dresses out. It always felt silly to Fleur, only being able to wear a dress once, or the ton will judge you. She nodded. "Perfect. I hear Lord Fenner's favourite colour is silver."

Fleur gave her mother a tight–lipped smile. She was yet to know how to respond to comments as such. Zahara left her alone with Elizabeth shortly after so she could get dressed. It was a beautiful dress, no doubt. All dresses that arrived in the Lachapelle household were beautiful.

The silver dress had details such as beading that looked like small diamonds, ruffles that fell down the shoulders, and a matching tiara. It was a shame Fleur didn't have the looks to match such divinity.

            Standing at the side of the dance floor with a drink in her hand, Fleur watched the dancing pairs. She hadn't been asked to dance, and hadn't been wanting to.  Her eyes fell on Sloane and Cristian being the center of it all. They really did steal all eyes in every room they were in. She heard the clanging of a cane coming closer.

"Is there a reason I've yet to see you on the dance floor, child?" Lady Danbury asked.

"Have you seen me on the dance floor last season, Lady Danbury?" Fleur said with a light chuckle. "I'm fine with watching."

Lady Danbury slammed her cane against the floor. "No one's ever been fine with just watching, child. Stop lying to yourself."

Fleur looked away, sighing in an exasperated way. Lady Danbury, despite being more than 50 years older, was a great friend for Fleur last season. Lady Danbury felt pity for Fleur, which wasn't the reason she's wished for for the start of a friendship, but so be it.

Fleur's attention was brought to the entrance, where the Bridgertons just arrived, all nine of them. Daphne was holding the bare hand of her younger sister. Fleur had seen her around the market with Penelope Featherington. She'd heard the fifth Bridgerton child was interested in literature, like herself.

As if called upon her, the brunette looked up. Her eyes found Fleur's, who fleetingly looked away. But it was too late already. Fleur turned her back to her, to Lady Danbury. Lady Danbury raised an eyebrow, eyeing the Bridgerton girl. She walked away.

"Lady—" Fleur tried to call her back. But as old as Lady Danbury was, she was quick on her feet. Fleur turned around to the brunette. "Hello."

"Hi," The girl said. "I saw you at the presentation today."

            "Don't remind me," Fleur said rather demanding. "Daphne's went well, I heard."

            "Oh, yes, it did," The girl nodded. She then extended her hand. "I'm Eloise."

            "Fleur." She accepted her hand, which wasn't something normally done, but certainly refreshing.

            Eloise said. "Would you care to join me at this ghastly ball? I fear there's no one particularly intelligent here." Despite only just having met, Fleur felt she could freely talk to Eloise. Like she shared her own opinions.

            "God, no," Fleur laughed. She took Eloise's arm in her own and started her walk along the dance floor. "But Mama thinks it of the utmost importance not to miss any balls. I'm glad my sister is here now. At least she's focused on her now," She gestured to Lola, who was drinking from as many glasses as she could, and her Mama, who was scolding her for it and trying to pull her away. "Sometimes I love that she's so ill–mannered."

            Eloise laughed. "I cannot say anything about that really. I think my younger siblings might have better manner than me," She said. "Oh, you and your family must come for dinner. I heard our Mamas knew each other when they were younger."

            That made Fleur's eyebrows rise. Her Mama had never mentioned that. They walked further, Fleur thinking about what she was about to say. "Are you not attending the season this year?" She eventually asked of Eloise. Her eyes fell on the bottom of Eloise's dress. Her dress had not been altered yet.

"No, just Daphne," She responded, a certain heaviness to her voice. "Though I wish to not attend next year either. They cannot expect me to be happy about being auctioned off to a stranger." She sounded so certain of herself, Fleur was sure this wasn't her first time mentioning it.

"You get used to it," She told the brunette. "I felt the same. I feel the same. It's chaos, but at least it makes my Mama happy."

"Well, I'm happy my Mama is focused on Daphne," Eloise was saying just as they passed Penelope Featherington. "Pen!" She called out, and embraced the red haired girl in a hug. "Pen, this is Fleur Lachapelle, you must know her."

"Nice to meet you." Penelope smiled.

Fleur laughed back at her. The three were laughing when Zahara came. She harshly grabbed Fleur's arm. "You should be talking to gentlemen, not those girls," She said it as if it was an insult. Fleur looked back to Penelope and Eloise apologetically. "The Duke of Hastings is here. Talk to him."

Zahara practically shoved her in the direction of the Duke. The same Duke that was already being swarmed by other girls and Mamas with the same ideas. Lady Featherington and her other two daughters were leading the swarm.

            It was clear that the Duke wanted nothing to do with the ladies, but that certainly didn't make them stop. Fleur looked back to Eloise and Penelope as a cry for help, knowing they could do nothing.

            Knowing there weren't going to be any suitors, Fleur made sure to be gone before her Mama could notice her absence. In the carriage with Elizabeth, she spoke freely of her concerns. She trusted Elizabeth — so much so that she told her everything.

Lady Whistledown's pamphlet in her hand, she talked to Elizabeth the entire way to Lady Danbury's house. Lady Whistledown was intriguing to her, a mystery to be solved. Only a few pamphlets published, yet she had the entire town wrapped around her pen already.

Once arrived, Fleur instantly made her way up to the parlour. Lady Danbury was say there in a chair, a pamphlet in one hand and a cigarette in the other, her cane leaning against the chair. Fleur let herself fall down on the couch opposite her just as a servant brought in a tray with tea. Lady Danbury had already expected her.

"Lovely day, is it not, Miss Lachapelle?" Lady Danbury didn't look up from her pamphlet.

"Lovely day, indeed," Fleur sighed. "If only Mama would actually allow me to enjoy my days. She's worse than last season. I've spent the last couple of days sitting in my parlour, all dressed, waiting for suitors I know aren't there. And yet she still continues to pretend there are."

Lady Danbury laid down her pamphlet to look at the young girl lounging in her couch. "Don't fret, child, you will marry eventually."

"But what if I don't want to marry?" Fleur replied rather sharply. "Why should I want to live my life inside, hoping that one day my husband should pay attention to me at all?"

Lady Danbury sighed at that. She had no answer that would satisfy her. Being a widow herself, Lady Danbury knew the pros and the cons of living alone. She had to say, she rather enjoyed it. But it was not standard, and some people would dismiss her for it.

            The doors swung open, the Duke of Hastings entered the room. A displeased scowl made its way to his face. "They'll do anything." He muttered to himself, heading for the drinks.

            "Don't worry, your Grace, I am not here for you," Fleur quickly said. Though she made no move to sit up in a more decent position. "I'm merely talking to Lady Danbury, as I have many times before."

            That seemed to please the Duke more. Until Lady Danbury spoke. "I've accepted an invite on your behalf. You will dine at the Bridgerton's tonight."

            "Brilliant." The Duke smiled, but it was obvious his intentions were different. He walked out of the room.

            "Will you be attending the Vauxhall celebration in a few days, Lady Danbury?" Fleur asked when he was gone.

            "I shall," She replied. "I suppose I'm to see you there."

            "Unfortunately," Fleur said, lowly enough for Lady Danbury not to hear. "Until then, Lady Danbury." She bowed, and made her way back to the carriage.

I know eloise wasn't at the ball, but let's say this was a ball for the entire family. i needed an in for the introduction. at first i wanted to do so at the entrance but that didn't work out so i made the first ball a family ball. super fun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

212K 5.4K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
48.6K 1.6K 26
Λšβ‚ŠΒ· ͟͟͞͞➳β₯ππ„π–πˆπ“π‚π‡π„πƒ 𝐀𝐧𝐭𝐑𝐨𝐧𝐲 𝐁𝐫𝐒𝐝𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐨𝐧 π…πšπ§πŸπ’πœ | 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐀 𝐎𝐧𝐞 ❝Naomi Sharma is it?❞
1M 29.6K 65
metanoia /ˌmΙ›tΙ™ΛˆnΙ”ΙͺΙ™/ noun change in one's way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion. In which the passionate Bridgerton sister...
6K 272 7
π—…π—ˆπ—‡π—€ π—Œπ—π—ˆπ—‹π—’ π—Œπ—π—ˆπ—‹π—οΌŒ π–Ίπ—‡π—π—π—ˆπ—‡π—’ π–Ώπ–Ίπ—…π—…π—Œ π–Ώπ—ˆπ—‹ π—π—‚π—Œ π—’π—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—€π–Ύπ—‹ π—Œπ—‚π—Œπ—π–Ύπ—‹'π—Œ π–»π–Ύπ—Œπ— π–Ώπ—‹π—‚π–Ύπ—‡π–½οΌŽ