The Side Character | Hermione...

By UnknownFlash

An Ace Player is nothing without his teammate. A Star is nothing without his Fans. A Protagonist is nothing w... More

Philosopher's Stone
Y1 Chapter 2: Flying
Y1 Chapter 3: Halloween
Y1 Chapter 4: Comfort

Y1 Chapter 1: And So It Begins

64 3 0
By UnknownFlash

This part of Scotland is flat and as plain as it can be. The endless field passing by the window is hypnotizing, one can find oneself just gazing at the green mindlessly. But it's not about the journey, it's about the destination. Especially for this situation.

How many times has he put his book down to admire the outside, to calm his rapid heart?

How many times has he pinched the back of his hand to confirm his reality?

How many times has he asked himself if this was real?

Despite the owl, the witch, the Diagon Alley and his wand. Young Robert had still felt dreamy since his birthday. Can he be blamed?

He could still remember the expression on his poor mother's face when that witch came. She turns their table into a pig!

Suffice it to say, that table has now been receiving the best treatment in their household. It's hard to treat a table as a table when it could've been a pig this whole time. Honestly, the only reason it's in the house is because both mother and son feel guilty abandoning it.

A giggle slipped out as his brown eyes wandered back to the words of his thick book. It was about Potions. Everything was new and so fascinating, that studying was more enjoyable than usual.

He hums a random tune, absorbing the information bit by bit. When he hears the squeaking of wheels. Robert, confused looked toward the door, an excited glint hidden within in.

It was a trolley.

It was normal.

As he blinked, the lady with a lovely smile asked, "Anything of the trolley, dear?"

"Oh. Yes, please." Robert quickly moved on and approached the trolley with curiosity. They were all foods he had never seen before and half he could only imagine. He spends a few minutes scanning most of the snacks and opts to choose the Cauldron Cake, something safe but more out there than the Pumpkin Pastries.

"Sorry if I took some time, a lot of these things are novel to me. I'll take the Cauldron Cake please." Robert said apologetically, taking out some galleon.

The Lady smiled warmly. "That's quite all right. You're from the muggle community, yes? I hope you enjoy Hogwarts and the world of magic."

Robert smiled and saw the trolley lady off, before looking down at the cake in his hand. It was small and could fit in one hand, with the design of a black, well, cauldron, with flames spewing out of it.

It smelled citrusy.

He took a gentle nibble and closed his eyes to focus on the flavour. Only to gobble it up with angry disappointment. It tasted like a muffin. Perhaps he should've been braver. Alas, that was simply a waste of money.

30 minutes later, he popped his head out of his 5th book when the door of his compartment was rudely open. A girl his age with noticeably bushy brown entered, looking around his compartment and scowled.

Robert looks around his compartment as well and only sees his books tidily in a corner. 'Is it unsightly?' he thought.

Then they made eye contact.

Perhaps because he looked incredibly confused, the girl looked away momentarily and smiled awkwardly, "Sorry, but do you happen to see a toad?"

"A toad? No? I'm sorry, what's going on?" As if the toad would have magically appeared, Robert looked around and even got up, hugging his current book to his chest tightly. He rather not have a toad touch his books, they are dirty animals.

"Well, a boy named Neville lost his." She said. Maybe because Robert looked panicked, her voice was softer. Covering a grin behind her hand.

"Ah, I see. Poor fella. Does he need any more help?" A toad is an interesting choice for a pet, Robert thinks, but a pet is a pet. He can only imagine Neville's distress in losing one.

As he approached the girl, he found that he is barely taller than her. Though they both have curly hair, upon closer inspection, Robert was amazed at the messy state of her hair. But when her hand dropped, Robert had to admit, she was surprisingly cute.

"A helping hand would be nice."

"Then, I suggest we get into our merry way." He said quickly and slid his door shut. "As far as I can tell, we should be arriving soon."

Together they made their way to the other compartments. It brings little result though. Just how far could a toad travel? The search unfortunately led to them meeting some unpleasant people too, shutting the door in their faces.

A frown was etched on their faces as the door closed behind them. The search was fruitless and time was running out, unlike her, Robert had yet to change. Along the way, the girl cleared her throat and spoke to clear the awkward air, "My name is Hermione Granger by the way, what's yours?"

"Ah, it's Robert Corbyn. It's a pleasure meeting you." Robert replies and offers a handshake. Realising then, that he is still carrying his book.

Gently shaking his hand, Hermione continued, "You are a first-year too, correct?"

"Yes. Are you excited to learn magic? I certainly can't wait." Hermione noticed the glimmer in Robert's eyes as he hugged the book tightly. Though her eyes shared the same glimmer, for a different reason.

"Are you muggle-born as well?" She asks.

Robert gasp. It's like their excited energy of meeting someone in the same boat broke their walls down. They chit-chat excitedly over the most mundane things.

"Honestly, I felt like I was dreaming until today," Robert said. "It took the professor quite a while to convince my mother."

"Mine as well. I was ever so delighted when the professor took us to Diagon Alley." Hermione said, causing Robert to remember his own experience. "Have you decided which house you would like to be placed in? I would be pleased to be placed in Gryffindor."

"Ravenclaw for me. I do find more value in intelligence than courage." Robert replied. Also, he read that there are exclusive books that can only be found in the Ravenclaw Dormitory. It would be an opportunity he can't miss.

Approaching another compartment, Robert gently knocked on the door and open with a 'sorry'. He was momentarily stunned.

Quite opposite to his compartment, two boys were sitting there. Yet they somehow manage to collect a pile of snack wrappings and the sort on their seat. Furthermore, there is a rat, head deep into a snack box. It is spine-tingling.

Robert grimaces. He exchanged glances with Hermione who shared the same expression. With a cough, Robert starts, "Sorry, but have seen a brown toad?"

The redhead answered no, but Robert didn't trust it. For all they know, it could be hiding within the pile of wrappers and they would mistake it for a Chocolate frog.

But Hermione's eyes are on something else.

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see, then." Hermione said, crossing her arms. The excitement in her voice was quite obvious. Though if Robert didn't know her any better, he would have thought she was mocking the redhead.

The redhead cleared his throat and waved his wand randomly, "Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

The moment he said the first word, Robert's eyes narrowed. Forming a frown, by the time he's done. Surprised that he even formed a spark.

As the redhead exchanges glances with the spectacled boy, Robert can't help but question, "Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but are you sure that's a real spell?"

"I saw my brother used it." The redhead answered.

"Then you must not be very good at it," Hermione said with Robert nodding in agreement.

The two boys are about to frown when Robert continues, "Most spells are usually of Latin origin. I suppose your brother didn't tell you what the actual spell was. I think it's a Charm."

"It is a charm," Hermione said. Taking a seat across from the duo, she spoke confidently. "Of course, I tried a few simple ones myself. For example,"

Pointing her wand at the boy's broken glasses, she cast, "Oculus Reparo."

Watching this, Robert takes a seat beside her and comments, "That's amazing! I wish I had practised during my free time."

"Why didn't you?"

"What if I messed up?" Robert said, with the girl nodding in understanding. They look toward the boy who is adjusting his newly fixed glasses. As he swept his hair, a scar in the shape of a lightning bolt came into view.

"You're Harry Potter!" Robert and Hermione exclaim.

A sad sigh escaped Robert's mouth. Robert had read about him, of course, he did. There was nothing beautiful or great about his story. It was just sad.

After Hermione introduced herself, Robert offered his hand. "Robert Corbyn, pleasure meeting you."

"You as well." Harry sputtered.

Robert offers the same to the redhead who introduces himself as Ron Weasley. Though with gritted teeth as his hand was too close to the rat for his comfort.

Robert and Hermione excuse themselves from the compartments. Of course, Hermione didn't forget to remind them to change as well as for Ron to clean his nose.

"It's unfortunate, but I guess we failed to find the toad," Robert said, leading Hermione back. The girl sighs.

"I'll have to apologize to Neville."

"Has he retraced his steps by the way?" he asked.

"Of course, he did." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Regardless, send my apology to him please." Robert sigh. Somewhere in his heart, he felt relief in not finding the slimy creature.

Robert suddenly widens his eyes and turns to Hermione, patting her on the shoulder. "Sorry, but I'll have to change. So I'll see you later, Granger. Once again, pleasure meeting you."

.

The moment the train opens its door, a sea of black spews out and within that ocean, is Robert. A bump here and there and Robert felt fed up. Using the cover of his 'polite' excuse-me, Robert forced himself through the crowd.

It was partly his fault. If he wasn't so insistent on keeping his books, he wouldn't need to put his books back into his suitcase. Only to be dragged around a minute later by the others.

He stumbles out of the crowd, panting. Smoothing the wrinkle of his clothes, he quickly heads to where the rest of the first years are gathering, led by a giant man with a big beard.

He seamlessly blends into the crowd and just waits. His curious eyes watched his seniors heading in a different direction.

"Robert!" he turns to the voice and sees Hermione a few heads away, waving.

Eventually, the Giant man led them to the lake as black as the night. Robert found the view unsettling but soon found his eyes hurt from the lamp that was forced into his hands. With squinted eyes, Robert listened to the order of the giant.

The crowd disperse and Robert opts for the nearest boat. Even with magic, Robert questions the safety of such simple boats to cross the lake. Holding the lamp up high, he slowly takes a step on the boat. As it creaked under his feet, Robert held his breath and bit his bottom lip.

Before the seed of doubt could take root into his heart, three other students quickly took the remaining seat. His cheek reddened at their speed and promptly took a seat with his head down. Honestly, the tremors from their movement didn't make Robert feel any better.

"Robert." a familiar voice calls out and Robert immediately recognizes her, especially with her hair that can be easily mistaken for a bush. But at least, Hermione is a source of comfort.

"Hello, Hermione." Robert looks at her with a relieved smile. She smiled and patted a small boy opposite her. He has black hair and a rounded face, with a stature similar to his own. Except he looks timid, especially with how often he sniffed.

"This is Neville Longbottom."

Now that makes perfect sense. Robert hums and offers his hand. Considering the sniffles and Neville's slightly red eyes, Robert softens his tone, "Robert Corbyn. Sorry about your toad."

"Thanks anyway." the boy sniffled. Robert could hear him muttering something about a howler or sort. Robert turns to his right and exchanges a shrug with Hermione.

"Everybody, ready? Right then, forward!"

A gasp escaped his mouth as the boat started moving. Robert sat up straight and marvelled at how smoothly all the boats were moving. There are no stops or crashes. As the boats move forward, Robert leans back slightly and peers into the darkness below. He could barely make out his own reflection.

"Did you know? I read that in this lake, resides a-"

"Ah, Hermione!" Robert quickly turned back and cut her off. Earning himself a scowl from her. Why did he stop her from telling a simple fact?

"I don't think you should mention the creatures here." Robert whisper. "Just take a look at Neville."

The boy in question is holding on to the boat for dear life. If he trembles, Robert reckons the whole boat will shake.

Hermione snorted and looked down at her fingers awkwardly. She had been studying every hook and crook of the magical world for the last few months. Eager to show she belongs, but most of all, eager to discuss the curiosity of the magical world. Her parents are a no-go, her friend, is better left unsaid.

For now, she has no choice but to put a lid on her excitement.

"Though I have to say, I don't think I can see the mermaid the same way anymore," Robert whispers suddenly after a few seconds of silence. "they are quite hideous."

Hermione looks up at Robert with wide eyes, before cracking into small giggles. She whispered back, "I don't think the merfolk would appreciate that."

Robert pause.

And came closer with a softer whisper, "You don't reckon they can hear that well, do you?"

"Well according to 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," Hermione smiled when she saw Robert's eyes brighten with recognition.

For the next few minutes, among the fascinated gasp from students, you can hear a hushed but excited conversation between the two. And as the castle came into sight, it was like their excitement exploded as their discussion became louder. Topics such as how many rooms are there in the estimate, how it fares compared to other schools and even its origin.

Poor Neville and the one other student sitting in the boat. They feel a headache just listening to their conversation. Not to mention they speak quickly too. Do the two even breathe?

It was understandable when the boat landed, the one student quickly rushed off leaving Neville standing behind awkwardly. These two, while annoying, are the only ones he is familiar with. Thankfully both of them seem to be done, with satisfied expressions, both of them walk quickly to the front of the crowd. Neville trailing behind.

The giant man, who introduces himself as Hagrid point the students the way to the great hall. With the thrill fresh in their heart, it was inevitable that they climbed the stairs with a spring in each step.

However, waiting outside the closed doors to the Great Hall is a familiar witch. Her presence alone killed any giggles that even threatened to come out. Robert finds himself in the very front beside Ron Weasley to his left and Hermione to the right, facing her stare head-on.

Professor McGonagall was as scary as he can remember. It's like she's been glaring all her life as her wrinkles seem to emphasise her fierce eyes.

'I doubt she has nightmares.' Robert thought.

Every student there hung to every word spoken by Professor McGonagall as she explained the different houses. The topic is very light-hearted but Robert can hear his own heartbeat loud and clear. Fortunately for him, as she approaches the conclusion, an innocent shout completely breaks the tension.

"Trevor!"

Robert and Hermione were shoved aside as Neville approached a toad, croaking near the foot of the Professor. As he held him in his hand, Neville looked up in horror, gulping.

And the tension returns.

For a second.

"Now, how did that happen?"

All eyes went to the source of the voice. Hermione looks horrified. Because it was Robert, right hand covering his mouth and index finger tapping profusely. His eyes, with a twinkle, zoning to the brown toad.

Amused, Robert mused, his voice crystal clear to everyone there, "Neville lost it on the train. We've travelled past the station and a bloody lake, yet here it is. How could it be?"

Instantly, those horrified eyes turn to wonder as they land on the croaking toad. Everyone here had once been questioned about the toad so they are now very curious.

"Toads are not magical creatures. That means the only way it could be here is someone had him, but who?" To everyone's disappointment, Robert was cut short by Hermione's slap on the shoulder. Robert looked at Hermione, confused, before realisation dawned.

Quicker than his eyes, Robert apologizes and then makes eye contact with the Professor. Robert swore, that there was a slight curve of her lips of the old witch. Professor McGonagall looked amused.

However, it disappears as quickly as it appears. She snaps her finger to attract attention and finish her explanation while Neville quickly hides in the crowd.

As Professor McGonagall left, Robert sheepishly smiled at Hermione. She is glaring though her lips are trembling upward.

"Is it true then?" their attention snapped to a boy with slick back blonde hair. "What they're saying on the train? Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

His words cause a murmur in the crowd. Neville whispered his name in shock. Showering in the attention, the blonde boy introduced two large stocky boys, Crabbe and Goyle and himself proudly, "I'm Malfoy, Draco Malfoy."

His dramatic introduction causes Ron to snort and Robert to grin. Something Draco take offence to. He glares at both of them, "Think my name is funny, do you?"

"Sorry, no. Just your introduction is a tad dramatic is all." Robert replies innocently, chuckling even. Ron joins in the chuckling as well. Especially at Draco's red face.

"Don't you know who I am?" Draco said sharply. Robert didn't expect to be so him angry, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yes, I read about your family. Pleasure meeting you, I'm Robert Corbyn." As he always does, Robert reaches for a handshake. However, unlike others before, Draco left him hanging. He looks insulted even.

"Don't even touch me." Draco snorted and turned to Harry. Offering his own handshake. "You'll see some wizard families are better than others. You don't want to be friends with the wrong sort."

In the latter part, Draco practically points at Robert with how fiercely he glares at him. The boy in question isn't even paying attention to the blondie and is asking Hermione for a napkin. She rolls her eyes but smiles. This seems to spread as Ron looks away to hold his laughter.

Harry meanwhile, focused on Draco, rejects his offer.

Draco was fueled with anger as even when Professor McGonagall eventually returned and led them in, his fist remained clenched. Robert on the other hand was gushing with Hermione about the ceiling.

At this point, everyone in the first year has an idea of where Robert will end up. Besides Harry Potter, he's probably the most memorable person. So it was to none of their surprise when Robert was immediately assigned to Ravenclaws just a second after putting on the sorting hat. Not as fast as Draco, but still fast.

And being one of the first students to be assigned, gave him ample time to scan his surrounding.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

351K 6K 76
Stella Blackwood, a pureblood witch who spent her life following traditions living by the rules of parents. Dating the hottest guy at Hogwarts, getti...
40.4K 930 61
*COMPLETED* The Golden Trio go back to Hogwarts to retake their seventh year. They then find out they must be married to someone with no choice. Herm...
115K 4K 41
❝You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?❞ ❝You should know the answer to that by now, Harry.❞ ⁂ Life has always been a bit disorganized f...
53.5K 2.4K 183
#2 IN HARRY POTTER CHANGED THE COVER AGAIN Water, water, everywhere, as I open my eyes and the moonlight, so striking, so beautiful, shines brightly...