𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐓𝐇, Clarisse la...

Autorstwa eurikacherries

❝ always an angel, never a god. ❞ ( not strong enough, boygenius ) ━━ Nabi Cho-hee learns to find the str... Więcej

𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐓𝐇
𝐨. prologue
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈. LET THE DEAD RISE
𝐢. nabi falls off the lava climbing wall
𝐢𝐢. capture the flag games suck
𝐢𝐢𝐢. movies and monsters
𝐢𝐯. the traitor that lies amongst them
𝐯. the heroes return, wings break free
𝐯𝐢. nabi's father finally pays a visit
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈. LET THE CURSE GROW
𝐢. talks of love and centaurs get sacked
𝐢𝐢. flaming freaking bulls are not cool
𝐢𝐢𝐢. clarisse gets issued a quest
𝐢𝐯. the island of the fountain
𝐯. the lovers of life and death
𝐯𝐢𝐢. sea creatures with bad teeth, yikes...
𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. witches, guinea pigs, and pirates, oh my!
𝐢𝐱. a glimpse of nabi's true desires
𝐱. sneaking sheepishly into the cyclops' lair
𝐱𝐢. clarisse flies home alone
𝐱𝐢𝐢. a showdown interrupted by party ponies
𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. celebrations with chariot races
𝐱𝐢𝐯. a plan suddenly set in motion
𝐱𝐯. a million and one thoughts
𝐄𝐗𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐒. ONE - SHOTS & SPECIALS
𝐨. valentine's special, nabi has a date?
𝐨. nabi's birthday special, ft. an evil cat

𝐯𝐢. picking up pals on the css birmingham

2K 136 232
Autorstwa eurikacherries

STRENGTH
━━ act two, chapter six.

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

NABI HADN'T EVEN REALISED SHE WAS CRYING UNTIL SHE OPENED HER EYES. She tried to wipe them away, but they kept streaming down her face. Nabi mumbled, like she felt guilty about it, "I never remembered her last words."

   "It isn't your fault, Nabi." Hebe said.

She knew it wasn't her fault. Nabi was too young — they'd taken her mother away too soon. Yet, her not remembering emphasised just how little she was, and that made it all the more painful.

"Your mother never forgave me," Hebe said as she removed her hand from Nabi's shoulder, "I truly do apologise."

Nabi didn't know what to say, so she just shook her head and continued to cry. Now what? The fates would snap her string in a few years, give or take? It was all so unfair.

   Hebe sighed, "Please don't be angry at your parents, either. Thanatos was afraid he'd put you in further harm if he'd claimed you sooner, and your mother—"

   "I know." Nabi said. She wanted her to stop talking. Hebe's words weren't any comfort to her.

   Of course, as a child, she cried over missing her mother a lot. Though Nabi grew, and her memories grew more hazy — she couldn't mourn someone she hadn't really known. But after seeing what she was like, of what could've been, Nabi didn't want anything more in her life than to be scooped into her mother's arms; to live safely and happily together as a family.

   "The Golden Fleece," Nabi muttered, "we're on a quest for it."

   Hebe nodded. "Yes, your friend has made work of the Caledonian Boar. I sense it's no longer trampling on my forest's flowers."

   "Then, can't the Golden Fleece cure me? It's supposed to have healing powers, right?" Nabi asked.

   "You would have to be exposed to it at all times, since the curse grows stronger as you grow older and more powerful." Hebe reminded her, "Knowing the person you are, you'd rather save the camp than keep it for yourself."

   Nabi bit her lip. She couldn't deny it, instead she said, "So... there's no other way to get around it?"

"You saw how Mika and Thanatos tried." Hebe gave her a sympathetic look, getting up to walk over to the fountain. "It's unpreventable."

Nabi watched as a vial magically appeared in her hands, and she dipped it into the fountain to fill it up with water. Looking at it closer, the water had a faint white glow. Nabi asked, "What are you doing?"

"Here." Hebe gently took Nabi's hand to lift her up from the ground, then placed the vial in her palm, "Water from the Fountain of Youth will give you my blessing — you'll be twice as agile and swift with your movements, and it heals you... think if it as ambrosia and nectar but tenfold."

"Thank you." Nabi said, putting it in her pocket.

   Hebe murmured, "I hope it'll be effective in a time of need. For now, hold on to it close."

   "Nabi!"

   Hebe and Nabi both turned to the sound. They could hear someone running through the forest, yelling Nabi's name with such panic that their voice sounded hoarse. Nabi said, "That's Clarisse."

The garden around them seemed to flicker out of existence, slowly fading away.

"I must go." Hebe said, "Those I do not wish to, are unable to enter the garden—if everyone knew of the fountain's existence, people from all over the world would seek out its benefits."

"But..." Nabi swallowed down her countless questions and nodded. "Okay."

"Farewell, Nabi." Hebe smiled softly, with something like sorrow in her eyes.

The garden faded with her, and Nabi stood in the empty forest — cheeks stained with dry tears and a heavy heart.

   "Nabi!" Clarisse's voice was getting closer, louder through the trees, "Where are you?!"

   Nabi ran towards her yelling until Clarisse spotted her. The Ares girl was still in her full greek armour, stained with gold dust but unharmed. The beastly boar must've been no match for her. A wave of relief was evident on her face as she spluttered, "Why'd you leave the ship? The soldiers said you were gone for ages! Gods, you— you had me worried... fuck, I know what I said was really shit. I'm so, so sorry for getting angry. You didn't deserve that."

   In all honesty, after hearing about the curse, Nabi didn't have it in her to refuse the apology. In fact, she didn't have much energy at all. Nabi nodded and mumbled, "Okay."

   "Okay?" Clarisse frowned, She pursed her lips, noticing Nabi's eyes. "You've been crying."

Clarisse looked like she'd been crying too, which was a rare occasion.

   Nabi wanted to ask her why, but if they continued to look at each other she was afraid she'd break down and spill the secret. "I'm fine. We should head back. The sooner we find the Golden Fleece, the better."

   She trudged on ahead; Nabi didn't want to tell her friend about her supposed tragic fate. Clarisse walked slightly behind her, but Nabi noticed how she picked at her nail polish and stared at the ground.

They walked the rest of the way back to the ship in complete silence.

【 🦋 】

   "I REALLY AM SORRY." Clarisse muttered, sounding desperate as she wrapped an arm around Nabi's waist to try and gently turn her around.

They had stayed quiet for a little bit, the only sounds being the working confederate soldiers and the ocean waves, when the CSS Birmingham had set sail once more — this time, to the Sea of Monsters.

Eventually though, Clarisse broke the silence by stuttering strings of apologies. No matter how many times Nabi shrugged and said she was over it, Clarisse just kept going.

"I'll make it up to you," Clarisse insisted, "when we get back, I'll do whatever you want. I'll— I'll give you all my desserts, or I'll take you out wherever you choose."

   Nabi said, "I really don't care, anymore. I promise."

   "Then, why won't you look at me?" Clarisse muttered.

   Nabi couldn't just go: I'm dying, sorry! I don't want to look at you, since I'm kind of afraid of how I'm feeling right now and sometimes when I look at you whatever I feel always doubles in... feeling?

That was a lot of 'feels' she used. She was in the feels. Where was that random confederate soldier from earlier to rant to?

   "I hurt you." Clarisse's voice was so quiet, and so fragile. She seemed afraid to say something for a minute, until, "I was mad earlier because of what my father said."

"You're never usually mad enough to say those things to me, though."

Clarisse exhaled shakily. "It wasn't... I dunno. It was probably because he talked about you. He's never brought you up, before. Not until then."

   "...What did he say about me?"

   "It was stupid," Clarisse mumbled, "I was stupid for letting it get to me."

   Nabi sighed, and turned to face Clarisse. She took the Ares girl's hands in hers and gently pulled her in closer. "You're not stupid. C'mon, tell me."

   "Okay," Clarisse swallowed, "well, he said a bunch of stuff. But he told me to 'At least have the guts to complete the quest, by yourself,' or something. More glory. He said I didn't need you."

   "And do you?" Nabi asked, "Do you need me?"

   "Yeah." Clarisse croaked. "I always need you, Nabs. Quest or no quest... I actually, uh, prayed to my dad for a chance to prove myself. He made sure I got it. I just wanted be to hero, alright? I just— I didn't... nevermind. I'm sorry for making you think you weren't important."

   "You're fine, Clarisse." Nabi mumbled, "Did he say anything else?"

   Clarisse nodded, hesitantly. "A bunch of stuff about how you wouldn't need me. He laughed, and made some joke about how a goddess was waiting on the island for me. I knew who he was hinting about. I got scared."

   Nabi's eyes widened. "Hebe talked to you too?"

   "What?" Clarisse said, "No, I meant Aphrodite."

Nabi could tell that some of the confederate soldiers who were accidentally eavesdropping were a little invested. Clarisse glared at them all, and they scurried off.

   Confused, Nabi asked, "What did Aphrodite want to speak to you about? I don't..."

   "It was nothing." Clarisse blurted out, face tinted pink.

   Nabi frowned. "Clearly, it was something—"

   "What did Hebe want to speak to you about?"

  "...It was nothing." Nabi echoed back.

   They never kept secrets from each other. This was something new, and neither of them liked it. Clarisse reluctantly muttered, "Okay, cool."

   Nabi repeated back, "Cool."

There was an awkward few seconds of silence. Clarisse cleared her throat and asked sheepishly, "...Are we cool?"

"Yeah," Nabi gave her a small smile and said, "we're cool, but you're treating me out when we get back."

"Ugh," Clarisse fake groaned, but Nabi could see how her mood was already lightening up a little, "why?"

"'I'll take you out wherever you choose.'" Nabi mocked teasingly, with a higher voice.

Clarisse pouted. "I don't sound like that."

"I don't sound like that."

"My voice is lower than yours!"

Nabi mimicked, but this time her voice was comically low, "My voice is lower than yours!"

"You're not funny." Clarisse huffed.

Nabi giggled, and this time returned to her regular voice. "You are literally smiling."

   "That has nothing to do with this." Clarisse tried to keep a straight face, failing miserably.

   Nabi only burst into more laughter, and soon Clarisse was laughing too. This was fine. They were fine. They could pretend there weren't any secrets — Nabi could pretend she wasn't walking to an early grave.

They were fine.

【 🦋 】

NABI AND CLARISSE WERE PLAYING A CARD GAME, SITTING ON THE DECK AN HOUR LATER, when one of the soldiers called out that a monster had been spotted.

"You don't win!" Nabi insisted, "I didn't hear you say Uno!"

"You not hearing me doesn't mean I didn't say it," Clarisse smirked, "besides, you were cheating."

"Uhm, no I wasn't." Nabi folded her arms.

"Nabs," Clarisse deadpanned, "I can see the cards you're trying to hide by sitting on them."

"Whaaaat..." Nabi blinked, feigning surprise, "How did that get there...?"

"Lady Clarisse!" One of the soldiers shouted, interrupting them, "We've caught sight of a possible enemy!"

   They jumped up to lean against the ship, and Nabi could see it on the nearby island — a giant hydra with a bunch of heads, chasing after three dots in the distance. As they got closer, Nabi blinked and realised, "Oh my gods! That's Percy, Annabeth and Tyson!"

   "What are they doing here?" Clarisse looked irritated. "Let's just kill that damn monster. Captain, get the cannons ready!"

   "I'll go and make sure we don't hit them!" Nabi said, and her wings appeared.

Before Clarisse could say anything, Nabi had already taken off. She flew dangerously close to the monster, and yelled, "Hey!"

Percy, Annabeth and Tyson all gave her bewildered looks, eyes darting to Clarisse on the horizon who was yelling a bunch of stuff and pointing at them. Nabi shouted, "Take cover! There's explosives!"

Annabeth was the first to react, pulling down Percy, who then pulled down Tyson, as they all heard Clarisse yell, "Fire at will, Captain!"

They dove for the ground as an earth-shattering BOOM! echoed from the nearby river — a flash of light, a column of smoke, and the Hydra exploded right in front of them all, with Nabi just barely managing to avoid getting showered with nasty green slime. Percy, Annabeth and Tyson weren't as lucky, but at least it vaporised as soon as it was smeared across their faces. Monster guts weren't really that nice.

"Gross!" Annabeth shrieked.

"Not awesome." Percy grumbled.

"Steamship!" Tyson yelled.

There was coughing from the three, and a cloud of gunpowder smoke that was rolling across the banks. The ship chugged down the river, and Nabi flapped in the air as she watched it getting closer. Clarisse sneered at the three newcomers, "Losers. But I suppose we have to rescue you... come aboard."

【 🦋 】

   AFTER GIVING PERCY, ANNABETH AND TYSON A TOUR OF THE CSS BIRMINGHAM, they were having dinner in the captain's quarters. It wasn't necessarily a very friendly group to be in, with Nabi awkwardly asking Tyson to pass the salt and Clarisse glaring daggers at the rescued three.

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse told them, "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy asked, incredulously.

"'Course not. My father did."

"Ares?"

Clarisse scoffed, "You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The losing side of every war owes a tribute to Ares. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?"

The captain stood behind her looking stiff and angry. His glowing green eyes fixed me with a hungry stare. "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything. Destroy anyone."

Clarisse smiled. "Destroy anyone. I like that."

"A bit overkill." Nabi murmured.

Tyson gulped loudly as Annabeth said, "Clarisse, Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters—"

"Good! I'll blow him out of the water." Clarisse glowered.

"You don't understand," Annabeth said, "We have to combine forces. Let us help you—"

"No!" Clarisse pounded the table. "This is my quest! Finally I get to be the hero, and you two will not steal my chance."

"Who's the other person?" Percy asked, "Nabi's obviously one of them. But the third member?"

"They didn't... I let them stay behind." Clarisse said, "To protect the camp."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "You mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?"

"Shut up, Percy! I don't need them, or you!" The daughter of Ares growled.

"Clarisse," Percy said, "Tantalus is using you. He doesn't care about the camp. He'd love to see it destroyed. He's setting you up to fail."

"No! I don't care what the Oracle—" Clarisse stopped herself.

Sitting next to Clarisse, Nabi slipped their hands together under the table. Percy didn't mean harm, but Nabi could tell where both of them were coming from.

It had been a long day.

Percy asked, "What did the Oracle tell you?"

"Nothing." Clarisse's ears turned pink. "All you need to know is that I'm finishing this quest and you're not helping. On the other hand, I can't let you go..."

"So we're prisoners?" Annabeth asked.

"Guests. For now." Clarisse propped her feet up on the white linen tablecloth and opened a can of soda. "Captain, take them below. Assign them hammocks on the berth deck..."

"I'll take them, instead." Nabi said.

Clarisse frowned. Ever since Percy had somewhat humiliated the Ares cabin, with his victory against their dad in a battle last summer, her hatred for Percy stayed the same. But she knew that Nabi cared about them. So, Clarisse let the four of them exit the room, grumbling to herself.

Nabi led Percy, Annabeth and Tyson to their rooms. Percy murmured, "I don't know how you deal with her."

"She's better than you think." Nabi assured him. "You guys could be friends if you just gave each other a chance."

"Us?" Percy laughed at the idea. "No way."

Tyson shrugged, and smiled. "You and Clarisse look like good friends. Super nice!"

"Yeah well," Annabeth muttered, "you also only have one eye..."

"How have you been?" Percy asked.

Nabi groaned, "Quests suck."

"Not a fun time?"

"Don't even get me started..."

Once they got to the berth deck, Percy and Tyson were immediately out cold. But when Annabeth slipped into her hammock, she gestured for Nabi to lie down in the one next to her — facing the opposite way so that they were looking at each other. The Athena girl whispered, "Let's talk."

Nabi questioned, "Talk?"

"Yeah," Annabeth smiled, "when was the last time we were able to actually just talk to each other?"

They hadn't done this in ages, (Iris-messages didn't count...) not since Annabeth had spent the entire year away from camp. Nabi shrugged, and settled herself into the hammock with a sigh, "Nothing on the quest has been great, to be honest. Wanna start ranting first?"

   "Sure."

   Annabeth happily obliged, talking about a bunch of things. Nabi listened intently as Annabeth rambled about her mortal family, and how she still cared about them, despite all the hardships. They still weren't close, but Annabeth told Nabi she saw potential of getting there. There were also better things like being able to visit places with fancy architecture or having free time to learn how to bake.

   In return, Nabi caught Annabeth up on all the stuff she'd missed when she wasn't at Camp Half-Blood. From Lee Fletcher getting stuck to the Demeter cabin; to Connor and Travis accidentally starting a prank war between the demigods and the dryads. Everything she remembered, she told the daughter of Athena.

   Catching up was fun, talking about books they'd both read or simply favourite hot chocolate brands, a small reprieve from such a chaotic day. It wasn't long before their sentences became slower and their eyelids got heavier. After talking for a while, THE TWO GIRLS DRIFTED OFF TO SLEEP.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝗥𝗜𝗞𝗔'𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘𝗦!

જ⁀➴ clarisse in this chapter thinking she'd finally messed up bad enough for nabi to leave her 🤷‍♀️ nabi who would never leave clarisse no matter what and understands how she is but is too busy overthinking abt her fate !! wow guys .. but on the bright side they made up and nabi gets girl time w/ annie yippee !!

   also i think we're near / at the half way point of the sea of monsters so yippee !! so fun and i think we're on circe's island guys ,, but if i'm behind writing schedule it's bcoz of things going on irl with school so ya lol 🫡 i was thinking abt it and i was like omg my specials are just me technically writing fanfics about my OWN fanfics .. like i was thinking abt a royalty au w/ clanabi earlier and had to be like wait a minute . it's so silly to think abt lmao

anyways thanks so much for reading this chapter and i love ur comments and ur love !! <33 see u in the next one 🫶🏼 forever grateful for u all !!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

18.2K 1K 16
𓅫 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐅𝐔𝐄𝐋.(inf) Something capable of inducing nightmares, highly disturbing. ❝ She walked with darkness dripping off her shou...
773K 23.5K 88
CURRENTLY UNDER EDITING "We reached for each other, and I thought of how many nights I had lain awake loving him in silence." -Madeline Miller Book 1...
242K 8K 50
❝ 𝙎𝙊𝙍𝙍𝙔, 𝙎𝙏𝘼𝙍 𝙂𝙄𝙍𝙇, I just have to make sure I can still look at you." ❝ 𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙉 𝙁𝙐𝘾𝙆𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙄𝘾𝙀, Jackson.❞ ...
37.4K 1.2K 46
EDITING. 𝘈 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦...