Enamored //joshler

By skellybonesremain

tyler meets a boy in college and is absolutely enamored with him. he doesn't want a relationship and is terri... More

author's note
1. the cute boy
2. ryan's birthday
3. the party
4. dang veggies
5. game night
6. being vulnerable
7. turmoil
8. boys are confusing
9. spilled juice
10. ripping off the bandaid
11. truth-filled texts
13. little baby syndrome
14. foam party
15. cold food
16. love language
17. orchard date

12. boyfriends

171 14 16
By skellybonesremain

4140 words

tyler nervously fiddles with the collar of his shirt, continuously buttoning and unbuttoning the top button in an attempt to determine which looks best. leaving it undone looks more casual, but keeping it buttoned looks more formal. josh isn't bringing him anywhere that fancy, but it is a nice local italian restaurant.

"ashleyyy!" he shouts, sighing in frustration. said girl enters his room a few seconds later.

"yesss?"

"help."

he turns towards her and shows her his fully-buttoned shirt first, then carefully unbuttons the top.

"i like it unbuttoned."

the brunette nods, leaving the shirt as is. he looks at himself in the mirror again, smoothing his hands over the few wrinkles. he asks ashley if she can make his eyelashes look pretty, to which she responds by leaving the room and coming back with a pink tube of mascara.

she carefully coats his lashes for him, using the tip of her index finger to clean up any smudges around his eye. "there you go."

"how do i look?"

ashley ruffles his hair softly, carefully pushing a few stray strands away from his eyes. "super cute. i'd offer you some blush but your cheeks are already so rosy."

"it's the anxiety."

"it's going to be fine, ty! you already know josh is going to ask you to be his boyfriend. what are you nervous for?"

"i dont know!" tyler groans. "i like him so much i just get nervous! and what if he was lying? or what if he changes his mind? and we're going to have to talk about it in person so what if it's super awkward!?"

"you're overthinking," she says simply.

feeling his wrist buzz, tyler glances down at his watch. it's a message from josh.

"oh my gosh. he's parked out front waiting."

"better get going then!"

ashley leads him downstairs, making sure he has a set of keys and his phone on him. it's friday night so she has plans with debby, and brendon and ryan have already began pregaming at du. nobody will be here to let tyler in later, and he has a habit of forgetting his keys.

she gives him a big hug and wishes him good luck before sending him out the front door.

josh is parked by the curb, standing passenger side as tyler approaches. he's holding a bouquet of pink carnations.

"hi." the boy can't contain his smile as he takes in his appearance.

josh is dressed in a collared button-up shirt similar to tyler's, but his is a different color and has a funky pattern. a silver chain hangs from the belt loop of his black jeans. his usually unkept curls are a bit more organized than they typically appear. nose rings adorn either side of his nose. he has on big, chunky black boots that tyler thinks look cool. he is so cool. tyler feels lame.

"you look cute," josh says, greeting him with a kiss to the cheek. it makes tyler's heart flutter. he hands him the bouquet. "these are for you."

"thanks," he squeaks, eyeing the delicate flowers. he lifts them to his nose, inhaling the sweet scent. "they're pretty."

josh smiles as he opens the passenger door, holding tyler's hand as he slides into his seat, and shuts it behind him. as he joins tyler inside the vehicle, he tells him that he can connect to the bluetooth and play music. tyler cautiously settles on his it's not a phase mom playlist which has music from several rock and punk bands. he figures josh will appreciate it, given some of the artists he likes are on there.

"aw yeah, i love this song," the older comments as a falling in reverse song begins.

"me too," tyler shares, too nervous to look anywhere other than the bouquet in his lap.

"are you okay?"

tyler answers with, "do you think i'm weird?"

"tyler!" josh can't help but laugh. "no, i do not think you're weird. do you think i'm weird?"

"what? no!"

"okay, then. i'm still me, you know. and you're still you. nothing has changed."

"well, kinda..."

"i mean fundamentally. don't worry that pretty little head of yours, okay? i like you just as much as before. that hasn't changed."

"really?"

"yep. really. i'm actually a bit worried you might not like me as much."

"what!" tyler gasps. "why?"

"because," josh explains, "i'm not exactly already what you were looking for. i don't know. maybe you had expectations and-"

"i didn't," tyler cuts him off. "i promise."

"if you say so. oh! i love this song."

josh reaches for the center console, turning the volume to the stereo up as papa roach comes on. tyler can't help but grin as josh starts singing along, his fingers tapping against the steering wheel in rhythm with the song. the boy finds himself singing along as well and, by the time they reach the restaurant, they've completed a duo performance of papa roach's last resort.

"do you think these will be okay in the car?" tyler asks, holding up the bouquet.

"it should be fine. the lady at the flower shop wrapped them in a wet paper towel and said they should be okay for a few hours. you can just leave them on the seat."

tyler does just that, gently setting the bouquet on the seat as to not squish any of the flowers. josh shuts the door for him and extends a hand, which tyler graciously accepts with flushed cheeks. as their fingers interlock, the younger realizes how grossly sweaty his palm is. he can't tell if josh's is too, or if it's just him.

josh had been lucky enough to get a reservation, so the hostess leads them to their table right away. the waiter approaches just as tyler glances at the menu. josh orders a water but tyler hates water so he asks for for a pink lemonade instead. after josh tells the waiter they won't be ordering any appetizers, he leaves them alone.

tyler holds the menu in front of his face, scanning each item without actually reading its description. all he can focus on is the anxiety bubbling in his stomach regarding having this conversation in person, officially. he's practically hiding himself behind the menu, sinking in his seat once he peeks over the top of the menu and realizes josh is looking at him with that big, dumb smile.

"can i help you?" tyler asks before hiding his face once more.

"are you actually looking at the menu or just hiding?"

"yes."

"tyler." josh chuckles, reaching across the table to take the menu from him. he sets it down flat on the table, leaving the brunette feeling exposed. he gulps, holding eye contact with josh for a moment.

"what are you gonna get?"

"chicken parm and spaghetti. what are you gonna get?" josh raises an eyebrow.

"i am so anxious right now," is tyler's response.

"what? why?"

"i don't know. i'm kinda freaking out. i'm not good with confrontation."

"confrontation? this isn't confrontation. we're just having dinner together."

"yeah," tyler starts, "and talking about things i don't want to talk about."

"but they have to be talked about," josh points out.

"okay, doesn't mean i want to."

"hey." josh reaches across the table, taking tyler's hand into his own. god, why are tyler's hands so sweaty? "it's okay, ty. i know it's scary to be open and honest, but once it's done i'm sure you'll feel a lot better."

before tyler can respond, their waiter approaches. it's like they're trained to approach at the worst times. "are we ready to order?"

"not yet," josh answers quickly. he offers a smile. "sorry."

"no worries, take your time."

tyler waits until he's gone to say, "fine. but i don't know what to order."

josh releases his hand now, using it to point at things on his own menu. "what are you feeling? pizza? pasta? seafood?"

"pasta, probably." tyler furrows his eyebrows, scanning that section of the menu.

"okay. long noodles? short noodles? stuffed noodles?"

"ooo, stuffed noodles. i'll get cheese ravioli. that sounds good."

he looks up from his menu to find josh just smiling at him again! he can't help but ask, "what?"

"you're so cute," josh says, shaking his head in disbelief.

"shut up," the boy mumbles, feeling the tips of his ears grow hot.

"no, it's true."

"you're cuter."

"am not."

"are too."

"am not."

"are too."

they banter back and forth for some time before the waiter approaches them again, this time actually taking their order. once he's gone, both boys are silent for a few moments.

tyler speaks first. "can we just get this over with already?"

"what? is the anticipation killing you?" josh teases, grinning when tyler sticks his tongue out at him.

"yes."

"okay. i finished my project after lunch today, so i was able to look some stuff up."

"okayyy..."

"yeah, basically just to get a better understanding, i guess."

"and?"

"and i'm pretty sure i understand. i really like you, obviously, so i want to try."

"try?" tyler frowns.

"yeah," josh nods. "i can't promise to be exactly what you want or to be the best caregiver in the world because i've never done that before, but i can try. i want to try. i want to take care of you. i want to make you happy."

"but..." tyler gnaws on his lower lip, frowning slightly. "is that really want you want? like... i don't know. i don't want you to feel forced into this if it's not going to make you happy too."

"that is very sweet of you, but don't worry about that. i will be very happy. especially considering who the little boy is," he teases, reaching across the table to poke tyler's nose.

the latter can't help but smile, swatting josh's hand away. "are you sure?"

"positive."

"promise?"

"i promise," josh nods.

tyler extends his pinky, so josh carefully wraps his own around it. tyler kisses his thumb, making josh do the same. he explains, "if you break the promise i have to break your thumb."

"ah, i see. good thing that will not be happening."

their pinkies unravel, but josh keeps tyler's smaller hand within his own. he must not care how sweaty it is.

"so... am i your boyfriend now?" tyler blushes.

"if that's alright with you."

"okay," he agrees, ignoring the warmth spreading across his cheeks.

josh asks, "when do i get to see little tyler?"

said boy shrugs, fighting the smile tugging at his lips. josh doesn't realize, but he's already met little tyler several times before. gosh, even right now tyler is practicing his times tables in his head to stay big.

"what kinds of things help you age down?"

"a lot," tyler admits. "i'm pretty good at, uh, balancing it i guess you could say. like, i can make myself feel one way or the other pretty easily but sometimes i need a little push. ashley likes to tickle me, that works good. i guess also, like, i'm not sure how to explain it but just being treated or talked to like i'm little can make me feel little."

"tickling... got it."

tyler would never outright admit it, but he loves being tickled.

"yeah. but sometimes it just happens unintentionally. well... a lot of the time, actually. i don't really know how to explain it."

"i guess i'll just have to see for myself, right?"

"i guess so," tyler smiles.

he goes to say something else, but the waiter approaches with their food. they both utter a thank you before they start eating and continue their conversation.

"and sometimes when i'm small and need to be big i have to do multiplication in my head."

"really?"

"yeah, it actually helps a lot."

"that's cute," josh comments.

tyler isn't sure what else to add, so he finally goes quiet as he starts eating his ravioli. they eat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before josh speaks.

"so what about rules?"

the younger's face burns red hot. he forgot that was something else they were supposed to talk about. "what about them?"

"you said you want some."

"i said i think i do."

josh smiles knowingly. "you do."

"okay, fine! maybe i do."

"well, i have a question."

"oh gosh. what is it?" tyler raises an eyebrow.

"i found a forum talking about rules and stuff and a lot of the discussion was, like, talking about rewards and punishments too. so..."

josh's face is bright red, matching the crimson tint of tyler's own. he physically smacks a hand over his mouth, containing his immediate reaction which is to just burst into a fit of giggles. he's not sure why it feels so silly to talk about this with josh. probably something to do with the embarrassment that comes along with being vulnerable.

"oh. yeah..." tyler fidgets in his seat. "okay."

"i mean you already came up with a few, but we should probably make them more specific. like brushing your teeth in the morning and at night-"

"what!?" tyler exclaims. "at night!? nobody brushes their teeth at night!"

"tyler," josh deadpans, "yes they do. and you're going to become one of them."

he groans, regretting his decision to ask for rules already. "fine."

josh continues, "...making your bed every morning, doing your homework. those are good ideas. i can think of some other ones too." he picks up his phone and starts typing out their list.

"like what?"

"bedtime by midnight on weekdays-"

"what!?" tyler interrupts again.

"when have you ever stayed up til midnight on a school night? last night you texted me at ten saying you were going to bed," josh laughs. "it's just to make sure you always get enough sleep."

"okay, fine."

josh adds that one to the list. they continue back and forth like that for a bit—josh presenting a rule and tyler acting like it's the most outrageous thing he's ever heard even though he secretly likes it. they've got about seven rules down by the time they finish, and they've settled on both a shower schedule and laundry schedule for tyler. he's secretly grateful because he's not the best at remembering to do either of those things.

by the time they've finished their plates and ordered dessert, the two have also come up with their own list of rewards and punishments. they also decided josh should have a couple rules too, mostly just things tyler thought of like no yelling or swearing at him.

once they have it all worked out and tyler is nibbling on the slice of cheesecake shared between them, the brunette feels considerably less anxious. the fact that josh had been leading the conversation most of the way definitely helped. it made tyler feel like it was less of a him thing and more of a them thing.

josh only lets tyler pay for the tip when they're done, and that's only because tyler practically begged. they listen to more rock bands on the way back to campus, tyler clutching his pink carnations tightly the whole way there.

they decide to stop at josh's dorm so he can pack a bag to spend the night at tyler's. it's the best option since tyler has his own room and josh isn't sure if pete will be back tonight or not. the younger joins him on the journey, watching josh dash around the room and stuff random things in his backpack.

while josh leaves the room to grab his toothbrush, tyler notices his coloring page taped on the wall next to josh's bed. it makes him smile like a moron.

back at tyler's house, josh helps him search for a vase to put the carnations in. they end up putting the vase in the front window because, according to tyler, they need sunlight and that window gets the most. when that's taken care of, tyler leads josh up to his room.

"you can put your bag wherever. i just keep mine here," he says, toeing the bag sitting on the floor beside his desk. josh places his next to it. "i wanna put comfy clothes on."

"good idea. where are they?" josh asks.

tyler shows him his secret drawers, revealing the various contents.

"i keep my little stuff here," he says, opening every single drawer to show him what's inside. "this side has clothes in it."

he opens the drawer that houses pajamas, specifically, letting josh look through them.

"what're we feeling?"

"hmm..." tyler can't help but smile at seeing how serious josh is about trying his best at being a caregiver. he points at a batman pajama set. "maybe this?"

"oooh, definitely. i'll put my pjs on too, how about that?"

"mkay," tyler grins, hugging his pajamas to his chest. he watches josh rummage through his bag and pull out an acdc shirt and basketball shorts.

they just stand there and look at each other for a moment before josh asks, "should i change in the bathroom?"

"nooo... just don't look!" tyler shouts, turning away from the older.

josh follows his actions and both change into their comfy pajamas, making sure to ask the other if they're done before turning back around.

"look at you," josh gushes, approaching tyler with open arms. the latter graciously accepts the hug, burying his face in josh's chest. he feels a soft peck against the top of his head. "little cutie."

tyler giggles softly, nuzzling himself against josh. "wanna cuddle."

"wanna go downstairs and watch a movie and cuddle?" josh suggests.

"yeah!"

"okay. why don't you grab pablo and a nice, comfy blanket?"

tyler does as told, tucking his pink butterfly blanket under one arm and pablo under the other. the two head downstairs and curl up on the couch. tyler leans into him, his head resting against josh's shoulder, while josh's arm drapes protectively around him. tyler folds his legs up on the couch, the blanket covering both of their laps.

"what should we watch?"

"wanna drink first," tyler whines, knowing that means he'll have to move but not wanting to because he's so comfy.

"yeah? let's get a drink then."

"joooosh..." he whines again.

"tylerrr..."

"you get it!"

"ohhh, you want me to get it for you?" when tyler nods, he smiles. "okay, i can do that. what do you want to drink?"

"juicy juice! in the fridge. in a sippy cup. in the cupboard."

"okay, okay. you just sit there and be cute. can you do that?"

"i think so!"

"perfect. i'll be right back."

josh kisses his forehead before untangling himself from the boy who whines in protest. tyler sits patiently for a few moments until josh yells from the kitchen to ask which sippy cup he wants. he yells back asking for the bluey one, a huge smile spreading across his face when josh returns and hands him the juice-filled cup.

"what do you say?"

"t'anks, daddy!" the word slips out without the boy even thinking about it. he realizes immediately after, though, causing his cheeks to burn a bright shade of pink.

the name causes a grin to spread across josh's face. "no problem, honey. can i come back in here?" he asks, lifting the blanket.

"yes!" tyler giggles, immediately clinging back to josh's side the second he's back under the blanket.

he feels so safe and warm in the older's embrace, like nothing can get to him there. josh holds him close as he presses play on monster's inc (tyler's request, of course). tyler squeals excitedly while the song at the beginning of the film plays out. he looks up at josh.

"daddy?"

"hm?" josh voices, holding his gaze.

a pretty shade of pink dusts his cheeks, making tyler's heart swell. he is so pretty. definitely the prettiest boy that tyler has ever laid eyes on. he's way prettier than tyler is. the small one didn't even know it was possible for a boy to be as pretty as he is.

"earth to tyler," the older says, poking the boy's forehead. "are you there?"

the brunette tunes back into the world, giggling as he realizes how lost in his thoughts he had been. "you's so pretty."

"me? are you crazy? have you ever seen yourself?" josh's hand raises, caressing his cheek softly. tyler leans into the comforting touch, humming contently.

"you's prettier."

"no way. you are the prettiest boy i have ever seen."

"but daddy! you're the prettiest boy i have ever seen!"

"maybe we're both pretty then, yeah?"

"mhm," tyler agrees.

he puckers his lips, making kissy noises at his boyfriend. josh chuckles, pressing a quick peck against his mouth. when he pulls away, tyler whines and makes more kissy noises until josh gives him another peck. this happens again. and again. and again. until finally josh takes the boy's head into his hands, holding it steady while he places rapid fire kisses on every inch of his face.

tyler erupts into a fit of giggles, willfully accepting the hundreds of wet kisses josh's mouth leaves. the latter pulls away after a minute, telling tyler that he's missing the movie.

the boy giggles over the situation for a bit longer before he eventually settles back into josh's side, his head perched on his shoulder. he actually manages to stay awake for the entire movie, making sure josh is still paying attention every few minutes or so.

tyler cries at the end of the movie, of course. it never fails. the thought of sully and boo being reunited always pulls at his heart strings.

"aw, baby," josh coos, using his thumb to wipe away the lone tear trailing down tyler's cheek.

he sniffles, pretending the nickname doesn't stir butterflies in his tummy. he says softly, "they got to see each other again."

"they did, huh?"

"daddy?"

"yes?"

tyler readjusts himself, sitting up straighter to swing his legs over josh's lap. he takes the older's hand into his own, looking him deep in the eyes.

he asks, "if i was boo and you were sully, would you do dat too for me?"

a toothy grin appears on josh's face. "oh my gosh, of course i would! i would just bring you back to monstropolis and keep you with me forever."

"but daddy," tyler frowns, "i don' wanna live in monstropolis. too many scary monsters. like randall!"

"okay, then i'd come live with you in the human world."

"but daddy! everyone would be scared of you cuz you's a monster!"

"oooh, you're right. well how about this—i would bring you to monstropolis and i would protect you and keep you safe from any scary, mean monsters. how's that sound?"

"mkay!" the brunette grins, a yawn escaping him.

"sleepy?"

"uh-uh."

"sure seems like you are."

tyler can barely keep his eyes open.

"nuh-uh."

"okayyy if you say so... i'm feeling sleepy though," josh says, fake yawning and stretching his arms over his head.

"what!?"

"yep."

"don' wanna go bed," tyler groans.

"why's that?"

"cuz i'll miss you!"

josh laughs. "you'll be asleep. you won't even know you're missing me, especially if you dream about me."

tyler frowns, unconvinced. "i dunnooo..."

"we'll go lay down, cozy up and cuddle under the covers, and watch minecraft. how about that?"

"mkay!" tyler caves. "carry me?"

"yes, king tyler."

"no, daddy, i's not a king! i's a prince."

"sorry, sorry. prince tyler."

tyler begins giggling, the laughter quickly turning into squealing when josh picks him up bridal style and carries him upstairs. unfortunately, josh makes a pit stop at the bathroom and tells tyler they need to brush their teeth. after lots of whining and complaints, the smaller one eventually does as he's told.

as they snuggle into the twin-sized bed, pablo snug against his chest, tyler can feel the weight in his eyelids growing. josh holds his phone while they watch minecraft on the little screen, but tyler can hardly track what's happening in the video. he keeps falling asleep! after enduring the cycle of falling asleep and waking back up for about five minutes, tyler finally admits that he's ready for bed.

"sleepy," he mumbles, burying his face in the older's chest.

"what!? sleepy? i thought you weren't tired," josh teases. he turns off the video and plugs in his phone before rolling to face tyler, smushing the boy between his body and the wall.

tyler usually hates his stupid tiny bed, but he doesn't mind it tonight. it just gives them an excuse to cuddle all night long.

tyler smiles lazily at the thought, allowing himself to become fully enveloped in josh's arms. he inhales deeply, reveling in the musky scent. as gentle lips press to his forehead, he hums contently.

"night night," he whispers.

"goodnight, baby."

(a/n: i can't believe we've hit 1k reads on this already :') i'm happy to think you guys enjoy this story as much as i do! thank you <3)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 275 23
❀ where josh has a crush on his bully, and tyler is unashamedly a florist. ❀ 6.22.17 10.03.18 © dunbasic
28.3K 1.1K 52
Not everything in this world is cute stuffies and cuddles while watching late night movies. *completed* [trigger warning] highest ranking: #181 in me...
360K 9.1K 18
Josh is next in line to be alpha. Tyler is the omega in the pack. He's the smallest and weakest one. Josh is very protective over him. What happens w...
2.7K 162 32
"Sorry ladies, he's mine."