If Feelings Weren't Real.

By notsobooknerdtems

"How does the fate of a town lie in the hand a girl who is not so mentally okay and has a lot of life issues... More

☆AUTHOR'S NOTE ☆
PROLOGUE.
1. The Start.
2.The unexpected.
3. In The Shadow
5. Echoes of Darkness
6. Converging Paths.
7. Unforeseen Twists.
8. Whispers of the Storm.

4. Shadows In The Silence.

27 3 3
By notsobooknerdtems

The quiet of Benrov, usually a comforting blanket over the small town, now felt oppressive, like the calm before a storm. Agent Ashley Emma's mind was a whirlwind of theories and unanswered questions as she made her way to speak with the victim's friend, a potential key to unraveling the mystery enveloping their once peaceful community.

She found the woman sitting alone, away from the prying eyes of the press and the anxious murmur of onlookers. Her posture spoke volumes—slumped shoulders, hands clasped tightly together, the very picture of someone grappling with shock and disbelief.

"Ma'am, I'm Agent Emma," she began, her voice gentle but firm. "I understand this is an incredibly difficult time, but anything you can share about Marla could be crucial to our investigation."

The woman looked up, her eyes red-rimmed and haunted. "I don't know where to begin," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath. "Marla... she was the most vibrant person I knew. Always helping others, never a bad word about anyone. Who would do this to her?"

Emma listened intently, her experienced gaze picking up on the subtle shifts in the woman's demeanor. "Did Marla ever mention feeling unsafe or mention someone new in her life? Anything out of the ordinary?"

The friend shook her head, then paused. "Well, there was this client she mentioned a few weeks back. Said he was a bit odd, too interested in her personal life. But she brushed it off, said she was probably reading too much into it."

"Did she mention a name?" Emma pressed, her instincts telling her this was more than a mere coincidence.

"No, she... she didn't. But she mentioned they met near the old mill for a property showing. Said it was strange, but he insisted."

Emma's mind raced. The old mill was isolated, perfect for someone who didn't want to be seen. "Thank you," she said, standing up. "You've been incredibly helpful."

As she walked away, Emma's resolve hardened. This wasn't just a series of random killings; there was a pattern, a motive hidden just beneath the surface. And she was determined to uncover it.

Back at the crime scene, Bill returned from dealing with the press, a look of frustration on his face. "Managed to keep them at bay for now. How did it go with the friend?"

Emma shared the new information, watching as Bill's expression changed from frustration to intrigue. "The old mill, huh? That place has been abandoned for years. Might be worth checking out."

"Yeah, but we'll need to be careful," Emma cautioned. "If our guy likes secluded spots, he might not take kindly to visitors."

The decision was made. With a small team, Emma and Bill headed towards the old mill, the weight of their task heavy on their shoulders. The sun began to set, casting long shadows across the town of Benrov, as if nature itself was bracing for the darkness to come.

Arriving at the mill, they approached with caution, flashlights piercing the encroaching darkness. The building loomed ahead, silent and imposing, a relic of a bygone era now playing host to a modern nightmare.

Inside, the air was thick with dust and decay, but it was the silence that was most unnerving. They moved methodically, searching for any clue that might lead them to the killer.

And then, almost too easy, they found it—an array of photos pinned to the wall, each the first two victims, each marked with a red X. At the center was Marla Shay, her photo circled in black.

Emma's breath caught in her throat. "He's been planning this for a while," she whispered, the reality of their adversary's meticulousness sinking in. "These women weren't just chosen at random; they were targeted."

Bill nodded, his expression grim. "And I don't think he's done yet."

The weight of their discovery settled over them like a shroud. They were dealing with a predator, one who had been hiding in plain sight, stalking their prey with chilling precision.

As they secured the evidence and prepared to leave, Emma couldn't shake the feeling that they were missing something, a piece of the puzzle still obscured in the shadows. But one thing was clear: the hunt was on, and they were now the hunters.

The quiet of the night enveloped them as they made their way back, the old mill receding into the darkness behind them. But the silence was no longer oppressive; it was a challenge, a call to arms.

And Agent Ashley Emma was ready to answer.

************

The morning light filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room and pulled me from the depths of my restless dreams. I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, the eerie feeling of being watched still lingering at the back of my mind.

Mackenzie was already up, humming softly as she moved around the kitchenette of the small apartment, a sign of normalcy in the midst of the unsettling new reality. "Morning," Mackenzie chirped, noticing my movement. "Sleep well?"

I managed to give a half-smile, pushing aside my lingering dread. "As well as I could, considering."

Mackenzie nodded, understandingly. "We'll figure this out, Kyles. But first, coffee and campus. We're college students now, remember? Time to embrace the chaos."

As we prepared for their first day, the promise of new beginnings momentarily lifted Kyla's spirits. The buzz of activity on campus was infectious, students milling about, laughter and chatter filling the air. It was a welcome distraction, a semblance of normalcy in the shadow of the recent experiences.

That's when we met Emei.

Bright-eyed and bubbling with enthusiasm, Emei approached them near the central fountain, a stack of campus maps in her hands. "You look like you could use a guide," she grinned, her eyes sparkling with a friendly curiosity.

Kenzie and I exchanged a glance, our initial hesitation fading under Emei's infectious charm. "We're actually pretty lost," Mackenzie admitted, "New here."

"Perfect! I'm Emei. Consider me your personal tour guide for the day," she declared, her confidence reassuring. As she led us through the sprawling campus, pointing out landmarks and sharing snippets of college lore, I felt a sense of camaraderie forming. This place, with its vibrant energy and diverse crowd, suddenly felt a bit more like home.

My newfound sense of belonging was abruptly shattered when we rounded a corner, coming face to face with Jacob. His presence was like a cold shadow over the bright day, a stark reminder of the unease that had followed me since I first met him.

"Jacob, right?" Emei said, breaking the awkward silence. "Didn't expect to see you here."

Jacob's eyes flickered with a mix of surprise and something unreadable as he nodded. "Emei. Yeah, I study here too."

The tension was palpable, the cheerful ambiance of the campus tour momentarily forgotten. My mind raced, the unsettling feeling returning with a vengeance.

Jacob opened his mouth like he was about to say something but before any more could be said, an announcement echoed through the campus, calling all students to gather at the city hall for an urgent address from the mayor. The tone was somber, a stark contrast to the lively atmosphere just moments before.

"Looks like we're heading into town," Emei said, a hint of concern marring her usually bright expression. "You can drive with me if you want."

"No thanks, we can take our car." I insisted.

"Well we have to hurry and we parked like two blocks away, Kyles." Kenzie says. "We'll ride with you Emei."

I literally gave Kenzie a death stare. I sigh and then nodded in agreement.

"Okay then. Would you come with us Jacob?" She turned to him.

"Sure thing." He replied, his eyes on me.

The drive to the city hall was tense, the car filled with an uneasy silence. My thoughts were a whirlwind of apprehension and curiosity. What could be so important that it required the immediate attention of the entire student body?

Upon arriving, the gravity of the situation became immediately apparent. The crowd was somber, the air heavy with anticipation. When the mayor took the podium, his face was grave, the lines of stress evident.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I come before you today with a heavy heart," he began, his voice echoing through the gathered crowd. "Our peaceful town has been rocked by a series of unthinkable tragedies. Over the past week, three of our residents have been found murdered, leaving our community in shock and mourning."

A collective gasp rippled through the crowd, a wave of fear and confusion sweeping over the assembled students. I felt Mackenzie's hand grip mime tightly, the reality of their situation settling in with a newfound weight.

"Murders?" I whispered.

"We urge everyone to be vigilant and report any suspicious activities to the authorities," the mayor continued, his plea for unity and strength resonating with the shaken crowd. "We will not let these acts of violence define us. Together, we will find justice for the victims and restore peace to our town."

As we dispersed, the weight of the mayor's words hung heavily in the air. The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on our shoulders. Mackenzie's grip on my hand tightened, a silent gesture of solidarity in the face of uncertainty. Emei's usual bubbly demeanor had dimmed, her brow furrowed with concern as she navigated the somber atmosphere.

Jacob, who had joined our group in silence, seemed lost in his own thoughts, his usual confident demeanor replaced by a quiet intensity. It was as if the weight of the mayor's words had settled over him like a suffocating blanket, casting a shadow over his usual charm.

As we climbed into the car and Emei started the engine, the tension inside the vehicle was palpable. The events of the day had left us all reeling, our minds racing with questions and fears. But as I turned to Mackenzie and Emei, I hesitated, unsure of how to broach the subject.
"Um, guys," I began tentatively, my voice betraying my uncertainty. "Do you think we should, like, get involved in trying to figure out what's going on with these murders? Or should we just, I don't know, mind our own business?"

The question hung in the air, the weight of it heavy on my mind. Part of me wanted to dive headfirst into the investigation, to uncover the truth and bring justice to the victims. But another part of me hesitated, wary of the dangers that lurked in the shadows.

Mackenzie exchanged a glance with Emei, their expressions mirroring my own uncertainty. "I mean, it's a lot to take on," Mackenzie admitted, her voice tinged with doubt. "But at the same time, it feels wrong to just sit back and do nothing."

Emei nodded in agreement, her usual optimism tempered by the seriousness of the situation. "I think we should at least try to gather some information, see if we can help in any way," she suggested. "But we need to be careful. We don't know what we're getting ourselves into."

Her words struck a chord with me, a reminder of the dangers that lurked just beyond the surface of our seemingly idyllic town. But despite the risks, a spark of determination ignited within me. "I agree," I said firmly, my voice steadier now. "We need to do whatever we can to help. But we should not be putting ourselves in danger."

Mackenzie and Emei exchanged a glance, their expressions a mix of concern and determination. But in the end, we were united in our resolve to uncover the truth and bring justice to those who had been wronged.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Chapter 4, finally!

Read, vote, comment and share.

Muah.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.8K 6.1K 85
✨COMPLETED✨ I took a few steps before I stopped to face him again. "Jay?" I said, barely above a whisper. "Hmm?" "I love you. You know that right?" I...
81 1 19
'A 17 yr old girl's visit to a town which she does not quite like. A new neighbouring boy who sneaks into her backyard quite often. A friendship base...
1.2K 380 43
Amanda Fullwood has always felt out of place. Since she can remember, she was never capable of distinguishing the real from the fake, her mind consta...
1.1K 306 42
Perhaps things would have turned out differently. Maybe I could have avoided what was to come. Maybe it's a game life wanted me to play, and there's...