Flickering Shadows

Oleh Book5121

Inara Graham lives in the Sun kingdom, where light never fades to dark, and shadows never dare flicker in the... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue

Chapter 11

44 5 1
Oleh Book5121

Inara

Aziel had our lunch delivered to his room, explaining that the dining room gets quite full and overwhelming at meal times, and that it would be too much if we stayed down there to eat.

He took my feelings into consideration without my needing to say anything at all. I can't figure out whether or not it's a trick, a game or a facade to gain my trust. It doesn't feel fake, and when I saw him after his wolf came out I almost jumped into his arms. I was terrified, and in that moment it felt like he was the only thing that could bring me comfort.

I also almost kissed him. I've never felt for anyone what I feel for the Moon king, and it's nerve wracking to have feelings that I don't know what to do with. He looked like maybe he was about to kiss me too, but I know that was just my mind playing tricks on me. I probably looked so desperate, and embarrassment threatens to colour my neck at the thought.

"I'm so sorry, Inara. I should have gotten you something to eat last night. It completely slipped my mind," the Moon king says apologetically as he watches me inhale the sandwich I was given.

I set my sandwich down, cheeks turning pink as I make myself chew slower. I probably look like an animal. "That's okay, your highness. I really wasn't that hungry last night anyway."

Lie. But the last thing I want here is for him to be worrying about me. I can't become a burden, not when I've made it this far.

He smiles slightly. "Sure you weren't." But then his expression turns serious. "Inara, I can't believe I haven't thought of this before now, but is there any family you want moved here? It would take them some time to adjust, but I'm sure they miss you."

I'm not sure it's possible for them to miss me more than I miss them.

Kiana comes to my mind, but I know the Moon king would never let her in here.

"No," I start, my eyes dropping down as I pick my food back up. "That's ok."

There's silence for a beat, and then, "Do you mind me asking the reason why?"

I can't tell him. He'll start feeling sorry for me, and then he will get annoyed, and then next thing I know I'm back in The Post while he finally doles out my punishment.

"I just wasn't that close with them," I mutter, working to keep my voice from shaking.

A quiet, disappointed sigh ensues my words, and panic clenches my muscles.

Does he know I'm lying? I know shifters have heightened senses, but I didn't think they were that heightened. Maybe his kingdom houses anomalies as well, except instead of colourful features, they can read minds?

I'm about to spill my guts, telling him everything about my family, but he starts talking before I even open my mouth.

"I would like the kingdom medic to look over you. I don't know what treacherous things they sported in that pack, but I do know that  Bexley can probably erase it. Physically, at least."

Panic flooded my body the minute he said the word medic, and I barely hear the rest of words, fear radiating in my bones. So he does know I'm lying. This is why you don't skirt around kings! Clever lies are still lies!

"I didn't mean it!" I blurt. "I'm sorry! Please don't send me there!"

My hands slap over my mouth, eyes going wide as I realize my mistake. I asked for a way out, assuming there was one. My instincts have dulled slightly since coming here, and now I'm messing up left and right!

"Inara, you aren't in trouble," the king starts softly. "I just want to make sure you aren't in any pain."

My brain can't wrap itself around the words, instead choosing to continue dwelling on his earlier ones.

"Please don't send me there," I whimper, not even caring that I'm asking for an out.

The Post would be preferred over what I endured in those examination rooms, the terror they inflicted every time one of us would step out of line just slightly.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," he says, voice calm and steady as he comes to crouch in front of my chair. "I'm not sending you anywhere, love. We'll go together, and I will be there the whole time."

He wants to watch. I hold back the shudder that tries to crawl through me, instead nodding my head with way too much force. "Ok, your majesty."

His fingers gently grasp my chin, and I hadn't noticed my face had drawn down until he tilts it back up. "Aziel," he starts, his gaze locking mine in a chokehold. "I want you to call me Aziel."

I swallow, the sound seeming to echo off the walls before I whisper, "Ok, Aziel."

I see the shiver that rolls across his shoulders before he closes his eyes and murmurs, "I love my name on your lips. My title was not made for you to utter. My name, however, that was made entirely for you."

His eyes open once more, amber trapping me in a whirlwind of feelings. They swirl continuously, spinning in a never ending loop of emotions. It's mesmerizing, and I'm completely lost in the trance. They drop down, down, staring at my lips before jumping back up and crinkling with something like pain.

"I truly wish I could kiss you right now, but I need you to understand that I will never take advantage of you, Inara. Ever. The first time I kiss you will because you want it, not because of my selfishness." And then he stands before adding, "I need to shower, and then we'll go to the medic. Feel free to do anything but clean."

I gasp, and his smirk is the last thing I see before the bathroom door shuts.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

The king has an odd taste in books. Every one I pick up has a description of true love and tales of knights in shining armour saving poor damsels. He's a hopeless romantic, I realize.

It's strange to think that the most feared king uses his free time to read about silly little love affairs. It's also incredibly endearing.

"I do hope you won't mock me too much, though I understand if you want to."

I jump so high that I'm surprised my feet don't come right under me.

"Your- I mean, Aziel! I thought that maybe I was allowed to look at your books! I'm sorry if I caused you any discomfort or intruded on your privacy!"

The Moon king laughs, his damp hair dropping little rivulets of water down his neck at the movement.

"Everything in this room is just as much yours as it is mine, and I would love it if you explored its contents," he smirks as he gestures to the giant bookshelf. "This was an excellent place to start."

I search his face for a second longer than comfortable before deciding that this statement is safe. He's not testing me right now. At least I hope he's not.

"You like romance," I murmur, brushing my fingers over the book in my lap.

The king comes to sit on the floor beside me, and I almost gasp in alarm, but then I remember that he was more than willing to sleep on the floor last night if I was going to.

"My interests are probably less kingly than expected, but yes, I love romance," the king starts, smiling at the hundreds of books surrounding us. "A thousand different people falling in love a thousand different ways. It's beautiful to read, don't you think?"

I blink a couple times before replying, "I've never really read a romance book before. Well, not any type of book, really. I didn't really have time to read in the Sun kingdom."

He looks at me in astonishment. "No time to read? Well, we will definitely be fixing that." He stands before adding, "Pick any book off this shelf and we'll start reading as soon as we're back from seeing the medic."

My stomach drops, nerves dancing in my chest like live wires, but I swallow and look at his enormous selection. I don't really know what I'm looking for, so I pick the one with the prettiest spine.

Pride And Prejudice, it reads, and I hold it up for inspection by the king.

He smiles softly. "That's one of my favourites."

I nod before setting it gently on his bed, turning back to him with a gut full of anxiety and hands that can't stay still.

He sighs, his hand lightly leading me to the door as he says, "It will be over before you know it. I promise. You have nothing to be afraid of."

If only he knew that medics are everything you should be afraid of.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

2.4K 590 17
Life is like a sun. It can be in sunset. It can be in sunrise. Would you rather be in sunset or sunrise? This is the story of Anna and Yexel who wan...
15.8K 373 30
When a werewolf prince comes of age the royal family must hold a ceremony at which 30 girls will go to the castle and live there until he choose's on...
486 63 29
The Seven Kingdoms of Amity have co-existed for generation after generation, each ruled by a revered House of Blue Bloods. Each so different in thei...
Lycan King Oleh mummaj90

Manusia Serigala

108K 2.7K 21
Alaric is a thousand year old lycan and rules over his kingdom, bluestone. He has waited 982 years to find his mate. He thought the moon goddess had...