Empty Void

By miracleGirl906

Dreams can be messy. The ones that cause fear are the worst, and you can't escape them. "Shift," they said... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - The Encanto
Chapter 2 - The Girl by the River
Chapter 3 - The Host Family

Chapter 4 - Family Discussions

2 0 0
By miracleGirl906

Camilo

Carla. Melisa. Noemi. Dulce. Lorena. Man, I had no idea coming up with a name would be so difficult. There are just so many I don't think I can settle for just one- Wait, I got it!

"What about Amelia?" I asked.

The girl turned to look at me, facing away from the window. A small smile formed on her lips. My heart felt warm at the sight, and that was all I needed to know that I had nailed it, "You like that one?"

"I guess," she paused to think, "it sounds nice."

I smiled, "I'm glad you like it, I really think it suits you."

We stayed like that for a moment, gazing into each other's eyes. I could see my reflection in them. Her big, round brown eyes looked attently at my emerald-colored ones. Her eyes looked beautiful, almost sparkling- What am I thinking?!

I cleared my throat, and she quickly looked the other way. "I should, um, tell the others. That, uh, we cleared everything up."

"Yeah, you probably should," she agreed.

"Right," I grabbed the back of my neck. "So, I'll be back in a minute," I started walking out, "don't go anywhe-Uff"

I grabbed the doorknob, but I didn't turn it. As a result, I crashed face-first with the wooden door. I massaged my face as a reaction to the pain, and I heard something behind me. I turned to see a very amused Amelia, laughing her heart out at me. "Hey don't laugh!" I pouted, feeling extremely embarrassed. She received the message and stopped laughing. But it wasn't long enough before she giggled again at my reaction, and I quickly left the bedroom. I headed down the small staircase and walked across the room. Why did I do that? Am I really that stupid? And why does my face feel so hot?!

I reached the door and opened it. Then I headed downstairs to look for my family. "Don't go anywhere?" Why did I even say that? It's not like she can walk or anything. I've never slammed my face on a door like that, so why did I do that when I was thinking of-

"Camilo," I heard someone say. I broke out of my thought bubble and realized I was in the dining room. My family was sitting there, and it seems like they've been waiting impatiently for a while.

My tía Julieta walked forward, "Camilo, how did it go? Is she alright?"

"Oh, yeah. She's fine, she was just scared and confused," I said.

Abuela Alma stepped in, "Did she tell you why or how she got in that terrible state?"

I hesitated, this was most likely going to be a hard and sad truth to swallow. "She doesn't remember," I revealed.

My cousins gasped, and the adults showed shock on their faces. "What do you mean, Camilo? What do you mean she does not recall what happened?" Abuela pressured.

I sighed, "She doesn't remember anything. She doesn't know where she's from, who her family is, she didn't even remember her name. But I sort of fixed that, because I gave her one."

"Yes, alright." Abuela pinched her nose, "But what I want to know is how-"

"Amnesia," Julieta interrupted.

We both turned to look at her, "What?"

"She has amnesia, I read about it in one of my medical books. It's a condition in which a person loses partially or all of their memory. Most times it's temporary, but there have been cases in which the patient never recovers their memory."

Everyone was looking at my aunt with an astonished look. Wait a minute, so there's a chance that Amelia will never remember who she is?! That sounds terrifying.

"Why do you have medicinal books?" Abuela questioned.

Really? That's what she worries about? Did not the whole 'loss of memory' exposition even have an effect on her?

Julieta looked away nervously, fidgeting with her hands. "Well, I-uh, once got curious and borrowed some from the elders. And I-"

"Oh, Julieta you don't need those things," Abuela judged, "that's why you have your gift. To heal others without the need of making any procedures."

"I know, mamá. But I wanted to know either way, and you should be glad I did. My food didn't cure the girl-"

"Amelia," I interrupted.

Tía Julieta turned towards me, "¿Perdón?¹ "

I crossed my arms, "Amelia, her name is Amelia."

"Right," Julieta agreed, "Amelia's wound did not respond to my ability. If I hadn't known an alternative way to treat the cut, the child could have been lost."

"She's right," Agustín said, placing his hands on Julieta's shoulders as a sign of support.

"Yes, mamá." My mother continued, "Tiene razón². And why are you getting so worked up about this, what we should all be worried about is the girl. Pobresita³, she must be having a really hard time with all of the terrible things happening to her."

A small, grey cloud formed above my mother's head. My dad tried comforting her. She was upset, I could tell. She felt empathy for Amelia. I mean, who wouldn't? Not only did she lose her memory, but she also lost herself. The person who she used to be was erased, permanently gone in the worst-case scenario. She also woke up in a place with a bunch of no-longer-strangers with magical powers. That will become a pretty strange anecdote.

"Miren⁴, I know that this will be a big change. But we must try and stay positive, for the sake of the child. Like I said before, we will give her shelter here. And we will help her until she gets better. For now, let's make her feel welcomed. La familia Madrigal⁵," Abuela said lowly. "La familia Madrigal," everyone said in a monotone way.

"Alright," Mirabel burst into the room, "now that that is settled, can we meet her?"

"Ugh, Mirabel, why are you there? You know you are not supposed to listen in to conversations that do not pertain to you," Isabela scolded.

"Actually, Isabela," Mirabel responded, "it does pertain to me, because the girl is going to be staying in the same house I live in. So, how about you change that attitude of yours?"

Isabela gasped at Mirabel's remark, and she stormed off. Mirabel smirked to herself, crossing her arms.

"Mirabel, your sister is right. Next time, don't do it again." Abuela said.

Mirabel's face dropped, and everyone started to leave. I felt kind of bad for her. Ever since her gift ceremony, Abuela has always treated her. . .differently. Mirabel always tries to shrug it off, but I know better.

I approached her and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. She looked at me and gave me a small smile.

"Don't mind her," I started, "you know she's like that with everyone."

"Yeah, you're right." She responded.

Even though I wanted to believe that myself, we both knew the truth. However, it was the only way I could think of to make her feel better.

"Hey, c'mon. Let's go," I said, walking towards the main patio.

"Where?" Mirabel asked.

I turned around, "Well, didn't you say you wanted to meet Amelia?"

Immediately, Mirabel's face lit up with excitement. I chuckled at that response, and I thought of an idea that would bring her hopes up even more.

"El último alla es un huevo podrido!⁶" I exclaimed, running as fast as I could to beat her to my sister's room.

I heard Mirabel yell right behind me, "Hey, not fair Camilo!"

"Ha ha!" I laughed, exaggerating the tone of my voice to sound like an evil villain. I heard Mirabel giggle at my wicked laugh, and I turned my head around to see how far behind she was. However, when I looked back as I ran, there was no one there. I stopped myself, confused.

"Casita, help me get up there!" I heard. I turned towards the sound of the voice, and I saw Mirabel being lifted off the ground by Casita's floor tiles. "Woah!" Mirabel exclaimed, trying to stay balanced as Casita brought her up.

"Hey, little cheater. That's not fair!" I yelled.

"It does when you're part of La Casa Madrigal⁷!" she answered back, getting closer to the second floor.

I did not hesitate to immediately run towards the staircase, skipping two steps at a time to go faster. By the time I had reached Dolores' room, my cousin was already there with her arms crossed and a wide mischievous grin. I put my hands on my knees, trying to fill my lungs with air and for my heart beating to slow. I was panting, and Mirabel giggled.

"You cheated," I pouted.

"Sorry cuz, you have to admit that there was never a rule about asking Casita for help. You're just upset because you lost and I won," she said, pointing a finger at me.

I glared at her for a moment, only to give in to my true feelings and laughing a bit. Mirabel joined in shortly after, and I straightened up. I stared at her with a smile. It had been a long time since I'd seen her laugh like that. A long time since we had a moment like this as well. Just two cousins getting along and messing around with each other.

Mirabel stopped laughing, noticing that I was staring, "What?"

It was then when I broke out of my short walk through el camino del recuerdo⁸.

"Nothing," I said.

Mirabel looked confused, and then she turned her gaze away from my eyes. She looked uncomfortable, and the moment started to feel awkward. My smile grew smaller, and I decided to break the silence.

I stood up, "Come one, let's go inside."

I offered my hand to Mirabel, and she took it. Once I helped her up, we walked inside Dolores' room.

"Wait up!"

Antonio walked in with us, and he took my hand in his. The three of us walked up the stairs and reached the bedroom door. I turned the knob and walked in. My eyes immediately found Amelia's, as if some kind of reflex. She was just where I left her, resting on top of the master bed.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey," Amelia said.

"So, I brought in a few people, are you ok with that? They're really excited to meet you," I told her.

"Yes, that is alright."

"Altight then," I started, "guys, come on in." I gestured to Mirabel and Antonio to come in, and so they did. They both peaked their heads out slowly, and then fully came into the room. I followed them around the room, and I took my spot next to Amelia's legs.

"Amelia, this is my brother Antonio," I took Antonio's hand and guided him closer to the bed.

Antonio seemed a little shy, but he made his best effort to have a welcoming smile on his face. "Nice to meet you, I'm Antonio."

My brother stretched his hand out, and this made Amelia smile more. Amelia took his hand in hers, "Nice to meet you too, Antonio."

"And this is my cousin Mirabel, she's Julieta's youngest daughter." I said, and Mirabel waved her hand.

"Hello Amelia, it's so great to finally meet you."

"It's great to meet you guys as well, Camilo told me all about you two. I don't think I saw you guys earlier," Amelia said.

"The grownups said we couldn't come up here yet, cuz' they thought I was too little to understand what was happening."

Antonio gestured to Amelia to come closer, and so she did. "What they don't know is that 5-year-olds hear everything," he whispered.

We all laughed at his comment, "Good for you Antonio."

We heard someone knock. The door opened, revealing aunt Julieta with a plate of food. It seemed like she made some enchiladas. Gosh, that smells heavenly.

"¿Se puede? come in peace bearing a gift," Julieta said, a comforting smile on her face.

I turned to look at Amelia, trying to figure out if she would be alright with more people in here. As soon as she turned her face back to me, she gave a light smile and nodded.

I smiled back, "Come in tía, you're good."

"How are you feeling, corazón?" Julieta asked. She placed the plate down and sat on a stool near the bed.

"Better, thank you," Amelia said.

"I see you've met my youngest, I'm sure you two will get along really well."

"I think so too mom," Mirabel responded.

"Good," Julieta grabbed the plate of food, "I thought it would be a good idea to change your bandage before it's time for bed. Why don't you eat while I do so? You must be hungry after such a long day."

"Now that I think about it, I am kinda hungry."

"Alright, make sure to also drink the remedy I brought for you. It should help with the pain. Camilo, get closer so you can see how I change the gauze so you can do it from now on," my aunt said.

I got closer to be able to see clearly. Mirabel sat on the bed next to Amelia so they could talk.

"You might feel slight discomfort, ok?"

Amelia nodded. My aunt walked me through the process, while I tried to remember every detail. I want to be able to take care of Amelia as best as I can. First, Julieta places an old towel underneath Amelia's injured leg and unwraps the bandage slowly and carefully to take it off. The wound has not closed properly yet so there is still some blood flowing out. So she quickly grabs a wet cloth she brought and wraps it around the wound and applies some pressure. I hear Amelia whine a bit and turn to see her clenching her teeth. Mirabel holds her hand to give her comfort.

"Sorry sweetie," Julieta says, while quickly grabbing a new role of bandage and starts wrapping it around her leg.

As she finishes, I notice that Amelia relaxes a bit. For some reason, that makes me feel more at ease.

"Ok, you got it Camilo?" she asks.

"Yeah, I think I got it," I say.

"For the next few days, you'll have to do this every morning and evening, and after a while it won't have to be as often. Once the wound closes a bit more, I'll give you a special cream to apply to her wound every time you change her bandage."

I nod. Suddenly, we all turn to the sound of someone yawning. It's Antonio. We all laugh.

Mirabel sighs happily, "Looks like it's time for us to go back to the nursery, sleepy head over here is about to pass out."

"Am not," Antonio responds tiredly.

Mirabel turns towards Amelia, "It was really great meeting you; I can't wait to give you a tour around. You're going to love our home."

"Thank you, Mirabel. I appreciate your kindness," Amelia said.

Julieta starts to get up, "Alright you two, time for bed." Mirabel gets up, picks up Antonio in her arms, and heads for the door. As my aunt follows to leave, she looks back at Amelia and I. "That also goes for the both of you," she says while pointing two fingers at us with a smile.

I laugh, "Goodnight, tía."

"Goodnight, mijo. Goodnight Amelia," she says as she closes the door.

"Alright Amelia, you heard her. Time for you to rest," I say.

"Right," she starts, "hey, are you sure it's ok for me to stay in this room?"

"Sure I'm sure, don't worry about anything. My sister offered to give you her bedroom to stay, she'll be staying with Mirabel's older sister. Now c'mon, I'll help you with the covers," I said.

I got up from the bed and helped Amelia move her legs under the covers, being careful not to move her so much to prevent further pain.

"There you go, how's that? You comfortable?"

"Yes, thank you." She responded, with a slight smile. However, the smile was gone as soon as it came.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I sat down on a stool in front of her.

"I...I'm...scared Camilo. A huge part of me wants to just fall asleep and wake up to find out that this was just a bad dream. I feel so alone and-"

I can't stand hearing this. "Hey," I start, "You're not alone. It may feel like it right now, but I assure you; you're not. I brought you here and I will do anything I can to help you heal. Both your wound and your memory. I'll be right here with you the whole way, however long it takes. I'll be here. I promise."

I give an assuring smile to her, and she slightly smiles back. Our eyes meeting like a lock and a key. I wish I could do more. I don't know her at all, but I don't think she deserves to go through this. In a way, she's like me. She is terrified about not having control over her mind and not being able to unlock her past. She doesn't know who she is but wants to know who she is supposed to be. It's like what I go through but in reverse. I know who I am, but it always feels like everyone wants me to be someone else. Feels like a while has passed before I realize I'm still staring at her.

"Ahem," I cough. "I-uh, think I should get going now," I get up and start to leave.

"Camilo," I feel Amelia grab my hand, and my heart skips a beat.

"You'll be here when I wake up, right?" she asks.

The slight shock on my face turns into a warm glance, "I'll be here, now close your eyes and try to sleep." She slowly lets go of my hand and snuggles into the covers. I go around the room and blow off some of the candles around the room, leaving a few on. I reach the door and look back at Amelia. Once I see that she is alright, I close the door behind me.

Sigh. I guess it's time for me to go to my room as well. I go down the stair and walk past the fireplace. I reach the door and open it to see Abuela Alma standing right in front of the door.

"I trust that our guest is feeling a bit better now," she says.

Without looking into her eyes, I respond "Yes, Abuela. Amelia is sleeping now; I will come back for her in the morning."

"Good, tomorrow I want you to bring her down for breakfast."

What? She can't even walk! "But, Amelia can't even walk. How am I supposed to bring her all the way down when she's in pai-"

Cutting me off, she continues "Casita will help you with that, and your aunt gave her a remedy for the pain, did she not?"

"Yes," I try to argue, "but-"

"Then it's settled, you will bring her downstairs to join us tomorrow," she says as she walks off.

What is up with her?! Doesn't she understand that putting pressure on Amelia's leg hurts her? I respect my grandmother, but this is out of line.

"And Camilo," she says, her voice low, "not a word to anyone in town about that passage."

At this point the curiosity came over me before I could stop myself. "What? You plan to just hide it from everyone?" I ask, trying to be as calm as I can.

"No, but I don't want anyone else going out. Or in,"

Her tone tells me everything, she doesn't like Amelia being here. To her she's just an outsider. She may not show it when the rest of the family is around, but I know she's most likely going to treat Amelia the same way she treats Mirabel. With docile hostility. Mirabel might let Abuela talk her down, but I don't plan on letting her do the same to Amelia. Count on it.

¹[Excuse me?]

²[She's right]

³[Poor thing]

⁴[Look]

⁵[The Madrigal Family]

⁶[Last one there is a rotten egg]

⁷[The Madrigal house/home]

⁸[Memory lane]

⁹[May/Can I come in?]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 337 36
This is a CamiMira ship,if you don't like the ship please don't read,if it makes you uncomfortable. This AU is where a magical land the kingdom of En...
5.7K 174 22
Bruno Madrigal had been living in the walls of Casita for 10 whole years. He lost a lot of time. Returning was very awkward for him at first, not bei...
23K 883 16
Upon returning to his family, Bruno Madrigal runs into serious problems: angry, scared townsfolk, involuntary visions, and nightmares. Just as things...
15.8K 243 11
Your gift is to control flames, but it's an incredibly destructive power, so your Abuela Alma got angry at you one day. She fussed about how you coul...