Cardamom Cookies

By Horsify

olive just moved to england after their mother got a new job. their mother wants nothing more than for olive... More

cast & info
chapter one
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven

chapter two

1 1 0
By Horsify

olive woke up and brushed their hair out of their face. it was bright in their room; the light seeping in through their partially closed curtains. olive made themself sit up, and they looked at their clock. it read 9:57.

olive shot up from their lounging position and pulled themself from their soft bed. they had to get ready quickly if they were going to get their schoolwork done on time that day. they didn't like working past three, nor pushing work to the next day, and olive was behind schedule. normally, they started their school work at eight, eight thirty at the latest. and at this rate, they would start at ten thirty.

olive finished their morning routine faster than normal and went downstairs to their kitchen to eat something before starting their school work.

they threw an english muffin in the toaster and walked over to the island to sit and wait for their food to be toasted. when they sat down, they noticed a note from their mom.

hey honey,

i'm going to be out late tonight, and won't be home for dinner. please remember to eat something.

i love you,

mom♡

olive sighed. their mom was always out late for work events. it shouldn't have bothered olive, but it did. olive didn't make friends easily, and spent a lot of time with her. that was mostly because olive's mom had homeschooled them for their entire life, and they didn't have enough practice with social situations.

the toaster dinged, and the muffin popped out, pulling olive from their thoughts. they grabbed the muffin and went back to their room where their school work waited.

when olive got to their desk, they picked up a pencil and started solving the first maths problem of the day. they were studying for a business, which meant a lot of math, but it got boring after a while, especially when olive didn't have any friends to do things with when they weren't schooling.

olive did little outside of their schooling, expect for a bit of minecraft, baking and reading, that is. that was probably why olive's mom insisted they baked some cookies to give out. that way, olive could try to meet people and possibly make a friend or two.

so, it shouldn't have been surprising that when olive saw the note from hunter on their desk, they abandoned their work to look at it.

just like the previous day, it had hunter's number on it. they opened their phone and entered it into their phone. after sending a brief message saying that it was olive, they started working on their math.

it didn't take long for hunter to reply to their message, pulling olive away from their work again.

hunter

hunter

hiiiiii

you know those cookies were awful

absolutely awful

you switched the salt and the sugar or some shit

awful

olive

oh really?

i didn't do a taste check before handing them out

hunter

why didn't you try them before handing them out to the whole damn neighborhood

smh

olive laughed to themself, and gave a quick apology, saying they'd make some better ones.

hunter

why didn't you try them before handing them out to the whole damn neighbor hood

smh

olive

im sooooooo sorry

hunter

you switched the salt and the sugar!!

you even had the pure audacity to offer to make more of those things!

how could you

i bet there are better cookies in the school cafeteria

olive

woah woah

i thought that schools had good food

hunter

no?

olive

really?

my friends in portugal say the food is fantastic

hunter

weirdo

olive

wAIT

hunter

wHAT

olive

I GAVe SOMe COOKIeS TO A GUY wHO HAD NeVeR HAD CARDAMOM COOKIeS BeFORe

NOOOO

hunter

wait. who?

olive

i don't know what his name is, but he had a mask and sunglasses and a hawaiian shirt

hunter

oh, i know him!

he's nice. i think he's visiting a friend

hes from the states

olive

oh

i have to go now

i have school

and don't you have class?

it's like the middle of the day

hunter

i'm in english now

olive

pay attention!

hunter

bye

olive

bye

olive worked on their school work until lunch. nothing had happened that morning other than their conversation with hunter. after lunch, olive guessed they had another couple hour's worth of work to go before they would be done.

when they finally finished, they fell on their bed tiredly. it was about three in the afternoon, and they had finally finished everything they had to do, just in time before olive would have stubbornly refused to do any more work.

that left olive lying in bed, half awake, half asleep, trying to relax a little.

ding-dong

their doorbell rang. olive was tired of the sound of doorbells. they had spent a good hour and a half listening to their ring yesterday while they passed out the cookies that olive now knew were no good.

olive sat up from their bed and stomped down their stairs. they were quite unhappy about someone being at the door. it made them wonder if that's what other people felt like when they came to their house to give out cookies.

olive opened the door. "hello." they said they sounded monotone and probably looked like they had just rolled out of bed. which they had.

"h-hi." the boy at the door looked nervous, and olive could see hawaiian-shirt standing on the sidewalk, probably waiting for him. through the mask and sunglasses, it looked like he was laughing.

"what do you want?" olive asked. they just wanted to go back to bed, and olive was not in the mood for annoying neighbors and their annoying-neighbor-problems.

"my friend over there," he pointed to hawaiian-shirt, "paid ten pounds for me to give you back your cookies. he says they were not good and was surprised that anybody would eat them. i know that i'm being rude, but i was paid." the boy still looked super nervous, and he handed olive a plate with the cookies on it. "sorry to bother you."

olive sighed. it was pretty funny that hawaiian-shirt had paid his friend to return the cookies. "don't be sorry. i didn't realize that i'd switched the salt and sugar until it was way too late. i can make you more cookies if you'd like."

the boy perked up. "that would be amazing! thank you so much!"

olive tried to smile a little, "it's my gift. and thank you for returning the cookies. i'll be throwing them away."

the boy smiled. "i look forward to my replacement cookies. taste test them first though, okay? oh, one more thing before i go. my friend also paid me to tell you i said to him, 'ranboo! why are these cookies worse than the ones i make?' so sorry, but i really wanted that ten pounds."

olive smiled and said, "okay.... is there anything i should know about your cooking? or should i just take nothing you make?"

"i wouldn't say never, i might get better at baking, but i would be cautious."

olive laughed, and the boy seemed to be a bit more at ease. over on the sidewalk, hawaiian-shirt was still watching, but it looked like his laughing fit had ended.

"i hope that the money was worth it. now i'll throw away these cookies, instead of you."

"oh yeah, the money was worth it. i have a full ten pounds now."

the conversation died off soon after, and they said nothing of note past that point. after olive had closed the door, they went back up to their room. they planned on playing minecraft or napping or finishing their book. it didn't really matter what they did though, because no matter what they did, they were just spending time until tomorrow, when they would do the same thing again.

hopefully, though, olive had made a few friends that could brighten up their day. it was unlikely, but it's good to have something to hope for.

~~Word Count 1270~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.1K 1.3K 29
He reached down and picked one of the yellow flowers from the grass and handed it to me. "It's my favourite colour..." I said my voice trailing off...
6.7K 315 12
Tommy expected his life to be shit. Being in the foster care system had fucked him up considering the abuse and whatnot. He still had his two friends...
18.6K 740 21
After feeling as if he has doing his job wrong, Phil starts working in a Long‑term care hospital so he can better care for his patients. He never exp...
15.9K 295 73
y/n and ranboo meet both doing a vlog you become, friends, but are you just friends? i wrote this when i was bad at writing so um yea also ranboo...