๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„

By hellencristine

๐‹๐ˆ๐’๐“๐„๐, Selene didn't want to be a Goddess... She was a normal fifteen-year-old-class president, a ded... More

๐’๐„๐‹๐„๐๐„
๐๐‘๐„๐‹๐”๐ƒ๐„
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ - ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐š๐ง'๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ฌ๐ž
๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐•
๐•
๐•๐ˆ
๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐ˆ๐—
๐—
๐—๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐•
๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐ˆ
๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ˆ๐ˆ - ๐›๐š๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฅ๐š๐›๐ฒ๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐ก
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐•
๐—๐—๐•
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐ˆ๐—
๐—๐—๐—
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ
๐—๐—๐—๐ˆ๐ˆ

๐•๐ˆ๐ˆ๐ˆ

3.5K 166 163
By hellencristine

"Mene!" Percy hurriedly caught up to her, gripping her arm urgently. "Can we talk now?"

She turned to him, "Sure," Selene nonchalantly responded, crossing her arms. "What's up?"

Outside, Selene saw the Hunter's camp for the first time. Seven large tents, all of silver silk, curved in a crescent around one side of a bonfire. Wolves were circling the camp like guard dogs and the Hunters walked among them feeding them treats, completely unafraid. Falcons watched them from the trees, their eyes flashing in the firelight seeming they were on guard duty, too. Even the weather seemed to bend to the goddess's will. The air was still cold, but the wind died down and the snow stopped falling, so it was almost pleasant being close to the fire.

Right across them, Thalia was pacing in the snow at the edge of camp, walking among the wolves without fear. She stopped and looked back at Westover Hall, which was now completely dark, looming on the hillside beyond the woods.

"You did nothing to prevent Bianca from becoming a Hunter!" Percy's voice rose, frustration evident in his gesticulating hands. "You should've done something! You were there! You knew how important they are for us and how we risked everything. Now Annabeth is go—"

"If you hadn't gone all by yourself to fight the Manticore, maybe they wouldn't have to risk everything."

"But you stayed quiet when Artemis offered to turn Bianca into a Hunter! We lost her because you did nothing!"

"Don't act like it's my fault!" Selene cut him off with a shout, her voice matching Percy's intensity. "You're the one responsible for Annabeth being lost, but I had nothing to do with Bianca's decision. Don't pretend I'm just at fault as you are to make yourself feel better!"

"I was just trying to help them!"

"And what did that get you?" She looked around, seeing that a few hunters, and even Thalia herself had stopped all they were doing and were stealing glances at them. They were yelling. Leaning closer to Percy, she lowered her voice, "You wanted to face the Manticore alone just to prove a point. Don't think I didn't notice the expression on your face when Thalia mentioned something Chiron taught her but not you. You brought this on yourself, Percy. Don't shift the blame to me now."

Percy's hands clenched into fists, his knuckles turning white as he struggled to contain his anger. "You're being a bitch." His jaw tensed, and his eyes bore into Selene's, searching for a response.

Selene's eyes widened in shock, her brows furrowing as Percy's words hit her like a blow. Her mouth opened and closed a few times, but no sound emerged. The air seemed to freeze around them as tension hung in the atmosphere. Pressing her lips together, she blinked rapidly, struggling to hold back any tears that threatened to escape.

She turned her back to him without uttering a word. The cold snow crunched beneath her boots as she walked away, retreating deeper into the woods and leaving Percy behind.

As Selene approached the edge of the cliff, the sound of crashing waves below grew louder. The frigid wind whipped through her hair, sending loose strands dancing around her face.

Suddenly, Percy's urgent voice pierced through the stillness, his cry carrying a mix of concern and desperation. "Selene!" Rapidly, he closed the distance, his footsteps muffled by the snow. His hand reached out, wrapping around her arm. For a brief moment, the only sounds were the rhythmic pounding of the waves against the rocks, the hushed whispers of the wind, and the quiet breaths they both took.

Their eyes met, and a myriad of emotions played across their faces – concern, confusion, and frustration. Her eyes went from his own to the clench of his jaw and to the quiver of his lips.

Selene took a deep breath, the crisp winter air filling her lungs as she gathered her thoughts. "You're right—maybe I'm being a bitch," she said. "But you make everything about yourself."

Percy stared at her intently, "I did what I thought was necessary! Don't you think things are difficult for me either?"

"Oh, of course. Things must be so hard for you."

He took a step forward. "What the fuck, Mene?"

"I'm the one who should say what the fuck! You didn't even ask me what Artemis told me. You just straight-up started yelling at me as if Bianca was my responsibility! I just learned my entire life didn't ever exist and I'm not even myself, yet all you do is criticize how I should've handled everything. What the fuck!"

Percy didn't respond.

"You have a mother. You have a father. You have friends who care for you. You have your camp. I have nothing, not even myself. So don't lecture me on how things are hard for you and how I should've helped people I know nothing join a Camp I don't give two fucks about."

He shook his head. "That's not fair, you have me. We're friends."

"I don't even know you, Percy Jackson."

Percy winced as her words struck him like a blow. He felt a pang in his chest, a sudden hurt that he couldn't hide. The admission stung, and for a moment, his expression shifted from frustration to genuine hurt.

"I don't think I know you either. Not anymore."

Selene couldn't help but instantly regret saying it when she heard him back. But then, Artemis' words echoed in her mind, Though he cannot physically harm you, Percy remains very mortal in his eyes. She didn't have a complete understanding of Zeus's behavior as Artemis had described, yet she also didn't want to risk putting Percy in danger. Despite her words suggesting otherwise, Selene did have genuine feelings for Percy—he was her best-friend, for God's sake. He was also already burdened with the worry of finding Annabeth, Selene wouldn't become another one.

However, she couldn't deny that she felt hurt by the way he treated her, though she wouldn't admit it. It seemed like he didn't care about her conversation with Artemis, solely focusing on Annabeth, Nico, and Bianca. Maybe distancing herself from him was for the better, she thought. Perhaps Artemis was right.

"Maybe our friendship only made sense when we were normal kids."

Percy stared at her for a solid minute, his brows furrowing. "Are you being for real, Mene?"

"Yes." Selene avoided his gaze, her eyes fixed on a distant point. "I mean, we weren't really close anyways."

"Wait, what? What do you mean?"

She lifted her head. "Grover and Annabeth are your best friends. They're people you've known for ages, people you can relate to. You and I—well, it was just collateral damage. Our friendship began because of the tutoring lessons, and only because of that. If it weren't for them... I'm older than you, and we have different interests. I don't think we'd be close, like, at all." As she spoke, there was a flicker of sadness in her eyes, a hint of regret that contradicted her words.

"Collateral damage?" His eyes widened slightly, and the furrow between his brows deepened. His shoulders slumped, as if the weight of her words had physically affected him. "Selene. You're fucking with me, aren't you? If it's because I said you were being a bitch, I was just angry, I'm sor—"

"No, I mean it, Percy." Selene's tone remained firm, but her eyes betrayed her words. "I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea and thought we were actually close. I think it's more prudent if we remain distant."

He remained quiet for a moment, just studying her face. Maybe he was expecting her to say "haha, just a prank! You should see your face, Lord of the Bathroom", but it never came. Instead, Selene firmly looked back at him, not even once faltering.

"You're just like them."

Percy murmured with a bitter edge. His eyes lingered on her, searching for something that seemed lost.

"A part of me was in denial, thinking maybe Artemis was nuts. But she's right. You are undeniably one of them... All gods are the same."

It was colder and darker and snowier than ever. Up on the hill, Westover Hall's windows were completely lightless. Selene stood alone for a few minutes shivering in the cold, breathing deep and ordering to herself: don't cry, don't cry, don't cry. In a matter of a few hours she'd lost everything she had, including herself.

Percy walked away first, and she waited for a few minutes before following him back to the camp.

When she got back, the Hunters had broken camp as quickly as they'd set it up. Artemis was staring into the east like she was expecting something. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. Selene could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt. Well, Selene didn't judge her—though it could be perceived as selfish, they were both kids. Bianca was as lost as Nico, she needed to find herself.

And perhaps Selene excused Bianca because she was in need to excuse herself either.

Thalia and Grover were huddled around Percy, and once they saw her, both ran in Selene's direction, grabbing Percy by his arm.

"Now I know why I'm in love with you!" Grover exclaimed, "You had an affair with Pan for a few centuries! Wow, you're so lucky, Mene..."

"Pan?"

"My master! Pan is the god of the wild, shepherds and flocks, rustic music and impromptus, fields, groves, wooded glens—"

"I think I get it, Grover."

His eyes lowered, "Sadly, Pan has been lost for ages..." But then, he smiled widely. "You may be a key for us to find him! Yes, yes... Selene, my Lady, maybe he told you something, a clue..."

"I'm sorry, Grover... I wish I was able to help you, but I have no memories of it."

The silence was weird enough. Percy remained quiet on Grover's side, and Selene tried her best not to look at him.

Thalia studied her face. Maybe it was because Selene had the worst expression ever, with puffy eyes and a faint smile trying to cover how shitty she felt. "That's enough, Grover." She demanded. "Why don't you go show Percy the wolves?"

"Sure! The wolves! Come on, Percy, they won't bite unless Zoe tells them to."

Once they were away, Thalia turned to her, a wry smile playing on her lips. "A god, huh?" Thalia raised her eyebrow in mock surprise. "Artemis told us about it—well, kinda. Not like she knows enough to actually explain something, but I got the key points. Apparently, you're under the Mist, someone swiped your memories, and now you're also powerless and basically a useless human."

"Guess you got it all," she said. "Did I also have an affair with your Master?"

"Oh, no. Just with my father."

"You mean Zeus?"

"Nope, Liam Hemsworth. Of course Zeus."

Selene sighed dramatically. "Well, ain't I the star of a celestial soap opera?" she remarked. "Next they'll tell me I had a chat show with Poseidon and a cooking segment with Hestia."

"And let's not forget the romantic comedy special with Apollo."

"You think it got as famous as Hilda Furacão?"

"Oh, absolutely," Thalia replied with a smirk. "And rumor has it, you taught Shakespeare a thing or two about drama."

They both laughed.

"So, spill it. What went down with Percy?"

Selene smirked. "Well, I hope you're ready for this thrilling revelation. It was a heated discussion about the best chocolate flavor to put on blue cookies. Really groundbreaking stuff."

"Right, because Percy totally gives off the 'I'm going to murder you' vibe over cookies."

Selene shrugged. "Some people are very passionate about their snacks. Who am I to judge?"

Thalia chuckled, "I hope you beat up his ass. He kinda needed it after what he did."

"Oh, don't worry. His hero complex got a little reality check." She grinned, then a thoughtful expression crossed her face. "What about Annabeth?"

Thalia sighed. "Artemis made it clear that Annabeth would be found. As much as I dislike those hunters, I suppose there aren't better people to locate her than them," she said. "And of course we'll do our thing too. I don't trust them, especially Zoe. That bitch."

"I want to help you."

"Oh, you will... But first, you should focus on not being a useless human, because I won't carry deadweight on my shoulders. Percy is enough. No offense."

"None taken." Selene gave a mock salute.

Finally the sky began to lighten as they started walking back to where everyone was gathering.

Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked. He was side-eyeing a wolf that sat on Artemis' lap right beside him.

"For my brother. Yes."

"Your brother is the Sun?" Selene asked, and everyone looked at her as if this was the most obvious thing ever. "What? I'm sorry, I don't know anything about y'all."

"It's not exactly as you think," Artemis said, like she was reading Selene's mind. "He drives the sun, my Lady."

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.

"Don't look until he parks." Artemis advised. "Not you, Selene. You're good."

Parks?

Selene looked around, seeing that everyone was averting their eyes. Though Artemis said there was no need, she still did the same as them. The light and warmth intensified until her winter coat felt like it was melting off of her. Then suddenly the light died.

The moment she looked at it, she wanted to turn her eyes aside and look at Percy. She just knew they'd laugh their ass off. The car was Percy's car—well, at least his dream car, the one he always talked about. A red convertible Maserati Spyder. It was so awesome it glowed. Then, Selene realized it was glowing because the metal was hot. The snow had melted around the Maserati in a perfect circle, which explained why she was now standing on green grass and her boots were wet.

The driver got out, smiling. Forget everything she'd said before about Poseidon—this guy was insanely hotter. Literally.

He looked about seventeen or eighteen. He had sandy hair, was really tall, and wore jeans and loafers and a sleeveless T-shirt. Selene could swear she fell in love at first sight. His smile was bright and playful. She thought he looked like an older version of Percy, if Percy started deadlifting right now.

"Wow." Selene muttered.

Thalia completed, "Apollo is hot."

"He's the sun god," Percy said.

"That's not what we meant."

"Little sister!" The blonde boy, Apollo, called. If his teeth were any whiter he could've blinded them without the sun car. "What's up? You never call. You never write. I was getting worried!"

Artemis sighed. "I'm fine, Apollo. And I am not your little sister."

"Hey, I was born first."

"We're twins! How many millennia do we have to argue—"

"So what's up?" he interrupted. "Got the girls with you, I see. You all need some tips on archery?"

Artemis grit her teeth. "I need a favor. I have some hunting to do, alone. I need you to take my companions to Camp Half-Blood."

"Sure, sis!" Then he raised his hands in a stop everything gesture. "I feel a haiku coming on."

The Hunters all groaned. Apparently they'd met Apollo before.

He cleared his throat and held up one hand dramatically.

"Green grass breaks through snow.

Artemis pleads for my help.

I am so cool."

He grinned at them, waiting for applause.

Only Selene and Thalia started applauding him, and he winked at them.

"That last line was only four syllables," Artemis said.

Apollo frowned. "Was it?"

"Yes. What about I am so big-headed?"

"No, no, that's six syllables. Hmm." He started muttering to himself. "I am so fucking cool... Oh, no. That doesn't sound right...

Zoe Nightshade turned to them. "Lord Apollo has been going through this haiku phase ever since he visited Japan. 'Tis not as bad as the time he visited Limerick. If I'd had to hear one more poem that started with, There once was a goddess from Sparta—"

"I've got it!" Apollo announced. "I am so awesome. That's five syllables!" He bowed, looking very pleased with himself.

"And now, sis. Transportation for the Hunters, you say? Good timing. I was just about ready to roll."

"And for my lady Selene, you're familiar with her."

Apollo narrowed his eyes, looking at Selene like he was watching her from the inside. Then, the corners of his mouth widened in the largest smile ever. "No shit!"

With a dramatic flair, he reached out to his pocket and pulled a lollipop, twirling it before popping it into his mouth. He leaned casually on Artemis's shoulder, the goddess shooting him a deadly glare.

"Well, well, well," Apollo drawled, his voice dripping with playful charm. "If it isn't Lady Selene." He winked and half-smiled, adding, "Still owe me that kiss, I fear." With a flourish, he blew a kiss in her direction, earning an exasperated glare from his sister and disgusted looks from the hunters.

Before Selene could exclaim "alright, let's do it!"Artemis interfered.

"Lady Selene isn't in her right state of mind currently. If you actually read my letter, you'd know it is related to the matters we've been discussing lately. I need you to take her to be examined by Chiron, as I'm hoping he'll be more helpful."

"I can take you anywhere, Miss Moon." He winked at her, twirling the lollipop in his fingers as he maintained eye contact.

"Anywhere?" She sounded dreamy.

"Anywhere."

No one had an angrier look regarding this exchange than one particular person standing on her side.

"Do you, perhaps, remember that night-out in West Hollywood, november 1923, when we we—"

Artemis widened her eyes and looked disgusted. She interrupted him again. "These demigods will also need a ride," she pointed to them. "Some of Chiron's campers."

"No problem!" Apollo checked us out. "Let's see... Thalia, right? I've heard all about you."

Thalia blushed. "Hi, Lord Apollo."

"Zeus's girl, yes? Makes you my half sister. Used to be a tree, didn't you? Glad you're back. I hate it when pretty girls turn into trees. Man, I remember one time—"

"Brother," Artemis said. "You should get going."

"Oh, right." Then he looked at Percy, and his eyes narrowed. "Percy Jackson?"

"Yeah. I mean... yes, sir."

Apollo's eyes went from Percy to Selene, as they were side-by-side. "Are you banging him?"

Percy and Selene exchanged incredulous glances, both equally taken aback by Apollo's question.

Selene stammered, "What? No, absolutely not!" She crossed her arms defensively. "Why do you guys keep asking me that?"

Percy shook his head."No way!" He turned to Selene, as if he'd just processed what she said, "Wait, what? Who asked you this?"

Apollo leaned back, sucking on his lollipop with an amused expression. "Oh, come on! The tension here is thicker than ambrosia. I can practically taste it." he smirked. "Rather you're enemies or you're lovers. I personally enjoy both."

Selene shot Percy a glare, and he rolled his eyes. Then, she turned back to Apollo, "If you drive the sun, why do you act like you came straight from hell?"

"Bisexual from hell." He winked. "Don't get it wrong."

Selene scoffed, "This is ridiculous. Gods are so extra."

Percy added, "Tell me about it."

"Well!" Apollo said at last. "We'd better load up, huh? Ride only goes one way—west. And if you miss it, you miss it."

She looked at the Maserati, which would seat two people max. There were about twenty of them.

"Cool car," Nico said.

"Thanks, kid," Apollo replied with a proud smile.

"But how will we all fit?"

"Oh." Apollo seemed to notice the problem for the first time. "Well, yeah. I hate to change out of sports-car mode, but I suppose..."

He took out his car keys and beeped the security alarm button. Chirp, chirp.

For a moment, the car glowed brightly again. When the glare died, the Maserati had been replaced by one of those Turtle Top shuttle vans like they used for small-town bands on tour.

"Right," he said. "Everybody in."

Zoe ordered the Hunters to start loading. She picked up her camping pack, and Apollo said, "Here, sweetheart. Let me get that."

Zoe recoiled. Her eyes flashed murderously.

"Brother," Artemis chided. "You do not help my Hunters. You do not look at, talk to, or flirt with my Hunters. And you do not call them sweetheart."

"Sorry. I forgot. At least Selene isn't off-limits, huh?" Apollo winked at her again. "Hey, sis, where are you off to, anyway?"

"Hunting," Artemis said. "It's none of your business."

"I'll find out. I see all. Know all."

Artemis snorted. "Then do something useful with it and help my lady Selene. And no messing around!"

"No, no! I never mess around."

Artemis rolled her eyes, then looked at them. "I will see you by winter solstice. Zoe, you are in charge of the Hunters. Do well. Do as I would do."

Zoe straightened. "Yes, my lady."

Artemis knelt and touched the ground as if looking for tracks. When she rose, she looked troubled. "So much danger. The beast must be found."

She looked back, and her eyes met Selene's. "I've answered your call, my Lady. When I call you, I do hope you're able to answer mine."

She sprinted toward the woods and melted into the snow and shadows.

Apollo turned and grinned, jangling the car keys on his finger. "So," he said. "Who wants to drive?"

The Hunters piled into the van. They all crammed into the back so they'd be as far away as possible from Apollo and the rest of the boys. Bianca sat with them, leaving her little brother to hang in the front with them, which seemed a little cold but Nico didn't seem to mind.

"This is so cool!" Nico said, jumping up and down in the driver's seat. "Is this really the sun? I thought Helios and Selene were the sun and moon gods. How come sometimes it's them and sometimes it's you and Artemis?"

"Selene and Helios are the definition of the moon and the sun. Artemis and I are their companions and sometimes we assume their roles, especially when they're away from duties," he winked at Selene. "It was pretty annoying at first, but at least I got this cool car."

"But how does it work?" Nico asked. "I thought the sun was a big fiery ball of gas!"

Apollo chuckled and ruffled Nico's hair. "That rumor probably got started because Artemis used to call me a big fiery ball of gas. Seriously, kid, it depends on whether you're talking astronomy or philosophy. You want to talk astronomy? Bah, what fun is that? You want to talk about how humans think about the sun? Ah, now that's more interesting. They've got a lot riding on the sun... er, so to speak. It keeps them warm, grows their crops, powers engines, makes everything look, well, sunnier. This chariot is built out of human dreams about the sun, kid. It's as old as Western Civilization. Every day, it drives across the sky from east to west, lighting up all those puny little mortal lives. The chariot is a manifestation of the sun's power, the way mortals perceive it. Make sense?"

Nico shook his head. "No."

"Well then, just think of it as a really powerful, really dangerous solar car."

"Can I drive?"

"No. Too young."

"Oo! Oo!" Grover raised his hand.

"Mm, no," Apollo said. "Too furry." He looked at Selene, who sat on the passenger's seat by his side.

"Selene! You! Wouldn't it be so ironic to have the Moon driving the Sun?"

"I pass. I have labyrinthitis."

"No you don't."

"I will if I drive."

Apollo sighed, defeated. "Daughter of Zeus!" he exclaimed. "Lord of the sky. Perfect."

"Oh, no." Thalia shook her head. "No, thanks."

"C'mon," Apollo said. "How old are you?"

Thalia hesitated. "I don't know."

Selene remembered the story they told her in the car about Thalia. She'd been turned into a tree when she was twelve, but that had been seven years ago. So she should be nineteen, if you went by years. But she still felt like she was twelve, and if you looked at her, she seemed somewhere in between. The best they could figure, she had kept aging while in tree form, but much more slowly.

Apollo tapped his finger to his lips. "You're fifteen, almost sixteen."

"How do you know that?"

"Hey, I'm the god of prophecy. I know stuff. You'll turn sixteen in about a week."

"That's my birthday! December twenty-second."

"Which means you're old enough now to drive with a learner's permit!"

Thalia shifted her feet nervously. "Uh—"

"I know what you're going to say," Apollo said. "You don't deserve an honor like driving the sun chariot."

"That's not what I was going to say."

"Don't sweat it! Maine to Long Island is a really short trip, and don't worry about what happened to the last kid I trained. You're Zeus's daughter. He's not going to blast you out of the sky."

Apollo laughed good-naturedly. Only Selene laughed with him until she noticed he was being for real.

Thalia tried to protest, but Apollo was absolutely not going to take "no" for an answer. He hit a button on the dashboard, and a sign popped up along the top of the windshield. It read: WARNING: STUDENT DRIVER.

"Take it away!" Apollo told Thalia. "You're gonna be a natural!"

Selene was just happy not to be obliged to ride. She could still feel her stomach twirling, and she'd throw up at any point.

"Speed equals heat," Apollo advised. "So start slowly, and make sure you've got good altitude before you really open her up."

Thalia gripped the wheel so tight her knuckles turned white. She looked like she was going to be sick.

"What's wrong?" Selene asked her.

"Nothing," she said shakily. "N-nothing is wrong."

She pulled back on the wheel. It tilted, and the bus lurched upward so fast Selene fell back and crashed against something soft.

"Ow" Percy said.

"Sorry."

"Slower!" Apollo exclaimed

"Sorry!" Thalia yelled. "I've got it under control!"

Selene managed to get to her feet. Looking out the window, she saw a smoking ring of trees from the clearing where they'd taken off.

"Thalia," Percy's voice echoed behind her, "lighten up on the accelerator."

"I've got it, Percy," she said, gritting her teeth. But she kept it floored.

"Loosen up," He continued. "Fuck. Selene, let me sit there."

"I'm loose!" Thalia screamed. She was so stiff she looked like she was made out of plywood.

Thalia jerked the wheel and again threw Selene into Percy while they were trying to exchange seats.

"Be careful!" Selene yelled at him. "Hey! That's my knee!"

"You're the one kicking my balls!"

"Stop poking my butt!"

"It's not me!"

"The other left," Apollo nonchalantly suggested.

Selene made the mistake of looking out the window again. They were at airplane height now— so high the sky was starting to look black.

"Ah..." Apollo sighed, and she got the feeling he was forcing himself to sound calm. "A little lower, sweetheart. Cape Cod is freezing over."

Thalia tilted the wheel. Her face was chalk white, her forehead beaded with sweat. Something was definitely wrong.

The bus pitched down and somebody screamed. It was Grover. Now they were heading straight toward the Atlantic Ocean at a thousand miles an hour, the New England coastline off to their right. And it was getting hot in the van.

Apollo had been thrown somewhere in the back of the bus, but he started climbing up the rows of seats.

"Take the wheel!" Grover begged him.

"No worries," Apollo said. He looked plenty worried. "She just has to learn to— WHOA!"

Selene saw what he was seeing. Down below them was a little snow-covered New England town. At least, it used to be snow-covered. As she watched, the snow melted off the trees and the roofs and the lawns. The white steeple on a church turned brown and started to smolder. Little plumes of smoke, like birthday candles, were popping up all over the town. Trees and rooftops were catching fire.

"Pull up!" She yelled.

There was a wild light in Thalia's eyes. She yanked back on the wheel, and Selene held on this time. As they zoomed up, she could see through the back window that the fires in the town were being snuffed out by the sudden blast of cold.

"There!" Apollo pointed. "Long Island, dead ahead. Let's slow down, dear. 'Dead' is only an expression."

Thalia was thundering toward the coastline of northern Long Island. There was Camp Half-Blood, right how they'd described to her: the valley, the woods, the beach. She could see what looked like the dining pavilion and cabins and the amphitheater.

"I'm under control," Thalia muttered. "I'm under control."

They were only a few hundred yards away now.

"Brake," Apollo said.

"I can do this."

"BRAKE!"

Thalia slammed her foot on the brake, and the sun van pitched forward at a forty-five degree angle, slamming into the Camp Half-Blood canoe lake with a huge FLOOOOOOSH! Steam billowed up, sending several frightened naiads scrambling out of the water with half woven wicker baskets.

The van bobbed to the surface, along with a couple of capsized, half-melted canoes.

"Well," said Apollo with a brave smile. "You were right, my dear. You had everything under control! Let's go see if we boiled anyone important, shall we?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 973 28
โ”โ”โ” ๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‹๐€๐Š๐„๐’! โ she's in control of our lives โž in which a mortal girl is ...
14K 332 11
*เณƒเผ„ Love wasn't her thing. One could laugh at the irony of that statement. The daughter of Aphrodite, the literal goddess of love, not knowing HOW t...
2.4K 63 4
Being a demigod is dangerous and can get you killed in many different and terrible ways. Estella Rosewood has heard it all. And she knows it's the fa...