Flickering Shadows

By Book5121

Inara Graham lives in the Sun kingdom, where light never fades to dark, and shadows never dare flicker in the... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue

Chapter 10

41 3 0
By Book5121

Aziel

It's strange, how a complete stranger can become your whole world within the span of two days. I hadn't known Inara existed a couple days ago, and now I all I know is her.

I feel stressed, tired, overwhelmed, and completely terrified of the prospect of my brother arriving here in a few days, and all I want to do is hold my mate. I want to wrap her in my arms and never let go. Stick my nose in her hair and inhale her scent over and over. Touch her and revel in the feel of her skin against mine.

You sound worse than me, my wolf says, smug amusement in his voice.

At least I don't think about it every second of every day, I retort.

Absurd human, he mutters.

Stubborn mutt, I mutter back.

My door finally comes into focus, and the breath of relief I let go is like physical weight leaving my body.

The door opens as I approach, and I immediately look to the bed, expecting to find her still asleep, but the mattress is meticulously covered in a clean set of sheets and smoothed out comforter.

Are my pillows fluffed....?

My gaze searches the space, finding cleanliness everywhere. Books neatly on the shelf here, blankets folded over the chair there, dustless shelves and spotless floors.

I move into the bathroom to find it even more pristine than when my maid does it. Briahna is amazing at her job, but her efforts have never looked this good.

This was the work of a girl who was riddled with anxiety and desperate to please the one person she knows can sort it out.

Inara.

My feet carry me out of my room so fast that the walls are a blur of black and grey.

She must have been terrified when she woke up, thinking that I had left her because of something she did. I had left without waking her because she looked exhausted, and I would've loathed myself had I roused her out of the peaceful state of rest I know she desperately needed.

I had hated leaving her, but I expected the meeting to be shorter than it was. I expected to be back sooner than I was.

She's nowhere on the top floor, so I move the second, then the third, then fourth until finally I'm frantically searching the main floor.

She couldn't have left. My guards would've alerted me.

Was she hurt? A snarl rises and I quickly push it down. I will cut the throat out of anyone who even dared to look at her the wrong way. I swear if anybody put a single finger on her they will die in the thralls of torture.

Distant chatter from the kitchen draws my attention, and I don't have time to stop my wolf before he snarls, "Where is my mate?!"

I enter the dining room and am contemplating ripping up everything inside, but then Levi and Zara step out of the kitchen door, followed closely by Inara.

Unharmed. She's safe and unharmed.

My wolf still doesn't let go, and I have to watch as Levi and Zara raise their hands in surrender while simultaneously baring their necks, showing me they're not a threat.

Inara looks between the three of us, her eyes wide and body trembling in fear. She eyes Levi and Zara before mimicking their position, causing a chill inducing growl to leave my mouth.

My feet move, and before I know it I'm in front of Inara, helpless as she shakes in absolute terror.

I fight desperately for control, but my wolf has an iron lock on his side.

He grabs Inara's chin, and she whimpers. My heart shrivels.

You're scaring her, I say, anger starting to show now.

Her eyes are glistening as he tilts her head up, and my gut plummets to the floor.

Let go. Now, I demand.

"The only time you will ever bare your neck to me, will be when my mark is about to adorn it," my wolf says softly, thumb stroking the soft skin of her cheek.

She swallows hard, and I can see how much effort she puts into keeping her tears at bay.

"I do not mean to scare you, mate, but seeing you treat me as anything but your equal puts quite the damper on my mood."

"I-I'm s-s-sorry," she stutters, her hands fidgeting rapidly in front of her as her breathing escalates.

This is exactly what happened in the carriage, and if I ever have to repeat the feeling of helplessness as she stopped breathing right in front of my eyes, I might as well stop breathing too.

She's on the verge of a panic attack, I say, pushing harder than ever on his walls. You are making her scared of you. Just let go.

My wolf sighs, and I feel his despair as his walls finally crumble beneath my fingers.

I push through, and then both my hands are cupping Inara's cheeks, my eyes searching within hers.

"You're ok," I reassure in a gentle tone. "I promise you're safe."

Her head falls forward onto my chest, and I immediately wrap my arms around her as sobs  shake through her.

She's never been the first to touch me, but I don't let my surprise show as I hold her tight.

I look up, noticing that Levi and Zara left, obeying silent orders on very loud cues. They know exactly when they are needed, and now is not one of those times.

"I'm so sorry, Inara," I mutter into her hair, breathing in her scent repeatedly, loving the feeling of it washing out my panic.

She's here, in my arms. She might be upset but at least she's safe.

"S-sorry?" She hiccups. "Why?"

I pull back so I can look into her eyes as I say, "Because my wolf scared you. I promise you he meant no harm. He's very protective of you, and when we couldn't find you he panicked."

Her eyes flutter as confusion settles on her beautiful face. "So, he wasn't mad? I'm not in trouble?"

My brows crinkle, and I know my expression matches hers as I ask, "Why would you be in trouble?"

"Because I left without asking. But I thought it was ok because Levi came and got me so I figured you had told him to come get me because you were angry about last night and-"

"Love," I interrupt, my hands moving up to hold the sides of her neck as I say, "You are not a prisoner here. You can go wherever you want whenever you want. You are not in trouble, and I am definitely not mad about last night. I only left because I had an early meeting, otherwise I would have stayed in that bed with you all day."

She ducks her head as pink tinges her cheeks, and I smile to myself.

"You are safe here, Inara. I promise you."

Her gaze rises, striking blue catching my attention and holding it.

Her long blond waves brush my hands as I slowly slide them up to cup her cheeks, and her breath halts as I lean forward slightly. She inches closer as well, desire trampling fear as she gets closer. Her breath teases my lips, and I've never wanted anything more in my entire life than to touch our lips together.

I lean forward an inch more, finally closing the gap that-

"Levi's going?" A male voice sounds from the arch, and I close my eyes with a sigh. "Man, whatever's out there must be really- oh shit!"

Henry halts in his tracks, making the guy behind him nearly trip.

"I think we've interrupted an almost kiss," Henry says apologetically. "But really, why are you trying to make out in the dining room of all places? It's lunch time, ok? People are hungry."

I swear I'd kill him if he didn't have the work ethic of a hundred people.

Although I would love to kiss Inara right now, I'm kind of glad for the interruption. We have a lot to sort through, and putting intimacy on the top is not a good idea.

For you, my wolf grumbles.

Yeah well, you're still in the dog house, buddy.

Inara has gone rigid again beside me, so, sparing Henry a death glare that promises verbal abuse later, I leave the dining room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 9.3K 21
Raven Dorin is a low class blacksmith trying to make ends meet in her little village. Only the brave and stupid live in this tiny village located on...
97.1K 6.6K 21
Infinity Walker is by far one of the most powerful women on the planet. She is like a god in the eyes of civilians and, in the eyes of the higher cla...
43.3K 2.2K 17
This was the day that changed my life forever, also the day I lost my love, my mate... My name is Alex Grey, I am a Prince but the soon to be King of...
2.4K 590 17
Life is like a sun. It can be in sunset. It can be in sunrise. Would you rather be in sunset or sunrise? This is the story of Anna and Yexel who wan...