VAESEN - The Ruins of the Wor...

By BellOfSilence

** Could an undying love blossom in the ruins of a shattered world? ** And so the world of men was lost and... More

Extras (Character Portraits, Playlist)
Chapter 1 - A Dying Hope
Chapter 2 - A Hero's Downfall
Chapter 3 - A new old World
Chapter 4 - The bloody Trace
Chapter 5 - Creatures of the night
Chapter 6 -Dead End
Chapter 7 - Hunter & Prey
Chapter 8 - Dance to the Death
Chapter 9 - Escape from Destiny
Chapter 10 - In the Face of Death
Chapter 11 - The Promise
Chapter 12 - A Compass with no Direction
Chapter 13 - Puppets of Fate
Chapter 14 - The Masquerade
Chapter 15 - Like Sun & Moon
Chapter 16 - Two Predators
Chapter 17 - Masked Feelings
Chapter 18 - Shadows of Guilt
Chapter 19 - Monsters in the Dark
Chapter 20 - Friend or Foe
Chapter 21 - Between the Fangs
Chapter 22 - Into the Dark
Chapter 23 - Behind the Veil
Chapter 24 - In the Eye of the Storm
Chapter 25 - The Last Breath
Chapter 26 - As Red as Blood
Chapter 27 - Fire & Ash
Afterword

Preface

117 22 0
By BellOfSilence

Welcome to
🇻​🇦​🇪​🇸​🇪​🇳​
Tʜᴇ Rᴜɪɴs ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ Wᴏʀʟᴅ

Hello everyone!

Because you can never have enough projects at once (*weeps quietly*), here's another post about ONC 2024. I'm also writing this story together with my wonderful co-author, Ignessus .

æ

Vaesen - the Ruins of the World is the first volume and the lead-in to the novel that follows the ONC. While writing, we quickly realized that the characters and the setting were too much for a novella ;)

In VAESEN, you can expect a romantic, dark story in an urban fantasy setting. Let yourself be whisked away into a world as familiar to you as strange, in which wondrous beings are up to mischief alongside sinister creatures.

The genre here is a somewhat crude mixture and also new to us :) So bear with us, haha: D Actually, this idea came to us quite spontaneously, and we found it interesting enough. You can see it as a mash-up of dark fantasy, post-war/film noir, alternate history, romance and mystery :,D Yes, a weird mix. But we thought: let's do this!

It will be an experiment for us, too. We still hope you'll like it ;)

æ

Nice to know:
What does VAESEN mean?
Vaesen is Swedish, Danish Väsen/Vaesen means something like essence, spirit, being (like the German related word 'das Wesen'), so to put it simply, it refers to all fable, fairy tale and mythical figures. 

Prompts

This story is our translation for our German entry for the Open Novella Contest 2024. In English, the story corresponds to the primary prompt:

🗸#52. "And that is how that world was lost, and a new one, our world, was born."
(Chapter 1🗸)

The following prompts are also included (nice to have):

🗸#3:" Your greatest fear is monsters in the dark. The last thing you expect is to become the Monster in the dark." (Chapter 19🗸)

🗸#17: "Your curse is to love so much and crave love more than life, but never be loved. Those who dare to love you will be subjected to the worst of fates." (Chapter 26🗸)

24#: "A desperate wish, made from the heart, is always answered. Sooner or later."

🗸27#: "Sometimes love is what drives you to take your next breath. Other times, it's revenge." (Chapter 2🗸)

🗸#29: "An eye for an eye, a kiss for a kiss." (Chapter 17)🗸

🗸#33: "A broken heart beats with all its pieces. And it still wants the same person." (Chapter19🗸)

🗸#36: "Fairytales are real, and there couldn't be anything worse." (Chapter 8🗸)

🗸#42. "He was sunshine, I was midnight rain." (Chapter 2🗸)

🗸#44: "You're like snow. Beautiful but cold." (Chapter 1🗸)

🗸#56: "In a world where humans and magical creatures coexist, a detective must solve a murder case that threatens to plunge the two communities into war." (Complete Story 🗸)

🗸#58: "In a world where family business means being a bounty hunter, you're not really keen to be part of it." (Chapter 7🗸)

🗸#80: "Meet me next Life" (Chapter 8🗸)

#82: "You wake up on a seemingly ordinary day to discover that your thoughts are not private. There is someone else in your head with you."

95#: "I will become as monstrous as I must."

If the prompts appear verbatim, we have highlighted them in bold in the chapters.
The milestones (2,000 words, 8,000 words, and 20,000 words) are also highlighted in bold.

However, as we are not officially submitting the English version, we will not show the word count individually under the chapters.

Trigger warning

Some chapters contain descriptions or mentions of blood, death, physical and mental violence, brutality, sexual content, harsh language, use of drugs/intoxicants (smoking, alcohol), or similar.
Anyone who does not enjoy reading this content or cannot tolerate it should, therefore, not read this story. There is no shame in knowing your limits.

General information

All characters in this story are fictional; any resemblance to living persons is purely coincidental.

The story takes place in a fantasy setting. All opinions expressed are fictitious and are not intended to offend anyone or anything. They are solely those of the characters and do not reflect those of the authors.

Vampires, werewolves, fairies, and the like are not interested in gender. This story may, therefore, contain hints/mentions of LGBTQ+ oa.

Hate comments are neither welcome nor desired and will be deleted and reported without comment or discussion.

æ

All rights reserved. No part of this story may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or means. This includes photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods without the author's prior written and notarized permission.

If you find this story on any website other than Wattpad.com or Inkitt, you should be aware that you are at risk for malware/viruses on your device and should leave Wattpad.com immediately and return.

Also, if you see the Story under another username on Wattpad.com or elsewhere, please let the original author, BellOfSilence or Ignessus know.

Artwork & portraits or images are exclusive to this story created with the AI Midjourney. The cover was designed by Kopflastig and the separation-banners of BellOfSilence. Stealing is, therefore, strictly prohibited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

450K 16.8K 49
A love story of Jeon Jungkook and Kim Taehyung. Where Jungkook is a CEO and Taehyung his new Secretary. Jungkook don't like people who are behind hi...
4.1M 170K 63
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
430K 12.3K 40
What if Saiki finds his soul mate? However Saiki can't talk to her using Telepathy. Does he will going to use his real voice to speak ? Who knows.. E...
319 102 28
🏆 SHORTLIST - OPEN NOVELLA CONTEST 2024 🏆 A young journalist must navigate a war-torn country and the intricacy of first love in order to save hers...