The Lost Boy | ONC 2024

By Emmian_

2024 ONC Prompt 21 : A dragon, an elf and a dwarf embark on a quest to find the lost heir to the kingdom. Wha... More

1 - The start of a new journey
2 - Goblins
3 - Trolls
4 - The Enchanted Forest
5 - A village
6 - Leaving?
8 - A thief
9 - Money problems
10 - A broken heart
11 - The Heir
12 - A friend?
13 - The Lost Boy
14 - A night to remember
15 - The King

7 - Who are you?

26 7 5
By Emmian_

Frank moved from Canan's head to my shoulder eventually. Our new companion walked in silence while me and Tom chatted about ordinary things for a while, trying to help his mood. But eventually we fell silent as well.

The marsh was behind us, and after the two experiences in two separate villages we had decided to sleep under the stars from now on. In front of us lay a vast landscape of hills and meadows. It was quite lush but not as wet and gloomy as the marsh. Our steps moved easily, even Tom had few things to complain about.

"So where are ya from lad?" he asked Canan eventually, sick of his lack of smalltalk.

"Brooksmith," he answered plainly.

"That's not too far from here, is it?" Tom continued, "ya heading back there to get backup and take tha witch down?"

"No," Canan sighed. "I'm not welcome there, neither are my brothers."

I nodded slightly, giving him a faint smile, "we know the feeling. No need to explain."

"So what's your plan then?" Tom insisted, glaring daggers at the tall man who was walking closer and closer to me. So close his hands brushed against mine now and then.

"Depends on where you two are going," he said and winked at me.

I felt my heart racing slightly, my cheeks warming and I instantly avoided his eyes. "We are heading to Kirmstown."

"Why?" he asked curiously.

I hesitated, could I really trust him? I decided to answer vaguely. "We're looking for someone."

He nodded and asked nothing more. "That's a day's travel from here."

"Ya know tha way?" Tom asked hopefully and got a nod in return. "Good, then you're welcome to join us if you'd like."

As afternoon turned to evening we decided to make camp in a secluded grove. Tom left to look for firewood, asking Frank to join him for company and left me and Canan to have a moment alone. I cursed Tom's name, because he would most certainly know how awkward I felt around Canan.

The half-orcs eyes were plastered on me from the moment Tom left. "Illon, that's a cute name," he began but I instantly cut him off.

"Don't."

"Don't what?" He chuckled and raised an eyebrow. "Call you cute?"

"We'll go our separate ways in less than a day," I reminded him.

He chuckled at that and stretched his arms behind his back, flexing his muscles. "So you want something more permanent then? Something more than a one night thing?" he teased and I could feel my cheeks heat up.

"That's not what I meant!" I gasped.

I watched in horror as he rose to his feet and moved closer to me, my heart started beating a bit faster as he sat down beside me. "No? Sounds like you want me to stay a bit longer. Getting tired of Tom's whining?"

"I-I don't even know you," I mumbled while fidgeting with my shirt.

He nodded, but that playful smile was still on his lips. "What do you want to know?"

There was a bit of a mystery surrounding him, but I couldn't really find the right questions, so I just asked plain and simple, "Who are you?"

He chuckled. "I'm a nobody, cast out of my clan because I didn't like the way my uncle was handling things. My men followed me, we travelled around trying to find a good place to live, but ended up in that hellhole of a village. End of story." Then he met my eyes, "and you?"

"It's a long and boring story," I said with a deep sigh leaving my lips, peering down at the floor and avoiding his eyes.

"For another time then, brighteyes," she said gently and patted my knee. "If you let me stay, that is."

Then I made the mistake to look up in his face and as soon as my eyes met his I knew I was screwed. Something about his presence made my knees weak, but I had already made up my mind, I did not have time for silly romances. I was on a mission.

"Not really up to me," I mumbled as my eyes wandered from his eyes to his prominent cheekbones, then to his pierced nose and eventually stopped at his lips. Big mistake.

I could feel him leaning in, "never took Tom for a leader." I shook my head. "So you're saying it's up to me then?" he smirked, his lips hovering over mine, so close I could feel his hot breath on my skin. But before he moved any closer we heard the snap of a branch behind us and he instantly got up on his feet.

"That you Tom?" He whispered into the darkness of the night. I stood up beside him and offered him one of my two swords, which he gladly accepted. The short blade looked like a dagger in his hand.

"Of course it's me ya idiots," a grumpy voice muttered before Tom stepped into the clearing. "Didn't want to disturb your wee moment but I'm sick of wandering around in tha dark."

We both relaxed, Canan chuckled and my cheeks were hot from embarrassment once more. This guy was going to be the death of me.

We settled down while Frank and Tom started the fire and I grabbed the small amount of provisions we had left to hand it out between the three of us.

"Sorry I didn't bring anything, I wasn't really planning on joining you," Canan began, "I saw a chance and I took it."

I nodded, but something piqued my interest in his story. "Did you think we'd be stuck as well?"

"Yes," he said before taking a bite of the breadloaf. "But as I came closer I noticed that you both looked unaffected."

I licked some crumbs off my lower lip and felt Canan's eyes on me, that amused smile playing on his face again. I cleared my throat and brushed off the rest with the back of my hand. "There's something off with the entire village, isn't there?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, but I think so," he gruffed.

"Whatever happens, we're not going back there, we'll take the long way home," Tom said as he finished his meal. "I'm sorry lad, but you have to figure this one out yourself."

"Tom," I sighed, but he gave me a deathglare.

"Illon, we have a person to find, and when we do we can't risk him getting involved with a mad witch." He paused to meet my eyes, "right?"

I sighed and gave Canan an apologetic look, "right."

But the half-orc seemed like he expected as much, he only nodded and focused on his food. "Let me guess, a lost boyfriend? A missing dwarf? Someone who knows the dragon?"

I bit my lower lip and glanced over at Tom, "it's not a secret."

"Nah, but we don't want unnecessary attention," he grumbled. "A lot of folk are looking for him."

Canan rolled his eyes and chuckled, "you're going after the heir?"

"So you did know," Tom said, looking unamused.

"People have been looking for him for months, what makes you think you're going to find him?" he asked while glancing back and forth between the two of us.

"Because we have Frank," I said without thought, and as soon as I realised my mistake it was too late. I had said too much.

Tom shook his head and sighed. "Illon, I love ya, but you're a fool."

Canan chuckled, shook his head and left the fire to make himself comfortable on the ground. "I know we just met, but Frank helped me escape that hellhole. I wont do anything that could harm him." He paused and peered at me, "or you."

"Am I included in that promise or is it only for the pretty ones?" Tom snickered.

"Aw, don't say that Tommy, I think you're very pretty. For a dwarf," Canan teased. "I'm just a sucker for sparkling sapphire eyes."

I sighed at his constant flirting and tried to look unbothered, but my inside was on fire. How he managed to do this to me was beyond my understanding. It didn't help that Tom clearly was on his side, giving us time to be alone. I shot daggers at him and he gave me a frown.

"What did I do now?" he asked, but I didn't answer him.

"Get some rest, I'll keep watch," I said and moved to a better position. "It will be a long day tomorrow. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 445 45
**Spinoff to String the Player** (Don't need to read StP to read this. Both books are standalones) Neil's life takes an unexpected turn when a chance...
968 45 12
The Whisper of Life, a story by TheOtherOre. Orcs have existed for millennia, most enjoying their lives on their origin island. Their history is vas...
1K 276 16
When the towns local Witch goes missing, her two familiars set out to find her. Matias only really likes one person, his witch, Eve. So when she goes...
1.7K 100 11
For as long as he can remember, Caldor has been forced to live a life of crime. With a group of his fellow thieves, they've stolen from practically a...