The Otherworlders Academy - A...

By paulapdx

Teenage Vampyrs, Enchanteds, and Shapeshifters join the Otherworlder Academy to train to fight off a demon ho... More

❇️ Character Art ❇️
Ep. 1.1 (R) - Sebastian & Farid
Ep. 1.2 (R) - Sir Geoffrey Sends the Boys Off
Ep. 1.3 (R) - Cameron, Inez, and Aidan
Ep. 1.4 (R) - Patrick, Ava, and Jake
Ep. 1.5 (R) - Welcome to the Academy: This is Why You're Here
Ep. 1.6 (R) - Fiona & Farid
Ep. 1.7 (R) - Show Me What You've Got - End Episode 1
Ep. 2.1 (R) - You're Gonna Have to Work for It
Ep. 2.2 (R) - Secrets, Secrets, and More Secrets
Ep. 2.3 (R) - Secrets Never Stay Buried
Ep. 2.4 (R) - Like Oil and Water
Ep. 2.5 (R) - Will They or Won't They?
Ep. 2.6 (R) - Ava & Farid Have a Chat
Ep. 2.7 (R) - Into the Field. Into the Forest. Into the Fire.
Ep. 2.8 (R) - Well, That Was a Bust!
Ep. 2.9 (R) - It's Not As Bad As It Looks
Ep. 2.10 (R) - So... What Are You Getting At?
Ep. 2.11 (R) - This One's On Us
Ep. 2.12 (R) - Oy! - End Episode 2 / End of SEASON 1
Ep. 3.1 (R) - Mission... Sort of, Impossible / Start SEASON 2
Ep. 3.2 (R) - Cain and Abel
Ep. 3.3 (R) - Ride or Die
Ep. 3.4 (R) - You're Not The Boss of Me
Ep. 3.5 (R) - We're Just Hangin'
Ep. 3.6 (R) - Who Let The Gryphon Out?
Ep. 3.7 (R) - You Want Me to Wear What?!
Ep. 3.8 (R) - So, What's in This Again?
Ep. 3.9 (R) - Did You Hear That?
Ep. 3.10 (R) - Yes 'Cause I Be Trippin'
Ep. 3.11 (R) - A Cross-Cultural Exchange
Ep. 3.12 (R) - Hmm... Something's Up...
Ep. 3.13 (R) - That's Just Bonkers!
Ep. 3.14 (R) - So, What You're Saying Is...
Ep. 3.15 (R) - Tension & Triangles
Ep. 3. 16 (R) - Can I Tell You Something?
Ep. 3. 17 (R) - Where Did He Go?
Ep. 3. 18 (R) - Are You Impressed Yet?
Ep. 3. 19 (R) - Just a Little Taste
Ep. 3.20 (R) - Sorry, My Hands Are Tied
Ep. 3.21 (R) - Can You Give Me a Hand?
Ep. 3.22 (R) - This Is Not The End - End of Episode 3
S2-Ep. 4.1 (R) - It's Good to Be Back
S2-Ep. 4.2 (R) - How YOU Doin'?
S2-Ep. 4.3 (R) - Squeeee!!!
S2-Ep. 4.4 (R) - The Adventure Begins!
S2-Ep. 4.5 (R) - Have I Got a Project for You!
S2-Ep. 4.6 (R) - Going Home
S2-Ep. 4.7 (R) - Resistance is Futile
S2-Ep. 4.8 (R) - But, I Love Him
S2-Ep. 4.9 (R) - What on Earth Will I Wear?
S2-Ep. 4.10 (R) - Bigotry Abounds
S2-Ep. 4. 11 (R) - An Advdnture Awaits
S2-Ep. 4.12 (R) - The Obstacles in Our Path
S2-Ep. 4.13 (R) - The Charm Offensive
S2-Ep. 4.14 (R) - You Want Me to Go Where?
S2-Ep. 4.15 (R) - There's Always a Way
S2-Ep. 4.16 (R) - Beauty and the Beast
S2-Ep. 4.17 (R) - The Debrief
S2-Ep. 4.18 (R) - Aw, Man! - End Episode 4 / End of SEASON 3
S2-Ep. 5.1 (R) - What's the Plan? - Start SEASON 3
S2-Ep. 5.2 (R) - Surprise!
S2-Ep. 5.3 (R) - You Don't Say?
S2-Ep. 5.4 (R) - What'cha Doin'?
S2-Ep. 5.5 (R) - So What You're Saying Is...
S2-Ep. 5.7 (R) - Welcome to My Lair
S2-Ep. 5.8 (R) - Are You Serious?
S2-Ep. 5.9 (R) - This Is How We Do It
S2-Ep. 5.10 (R) - Do I, or Don't I?
S2-Ep. 5.11 (R) - A Damsel in Distress
S2-Ep. 5-12 (R) - The Plan's Afoot
S2-Ep. 5.13 (R) - Someone Get the Clown Car!
S2-Ep. 5.14 (R) - I swear to the gods!
S2-Ep. 5.15 (R) - Know Your Limits
S2-Ep. 5.16 (R) - Plan B... Sort of...
S2-Ep. 5.17 (R) - And So It Begins
S2-Ep. 5.18 (R) - To Tell You The Truth

S2-Ep. 5.6 (R) - Home, Sweet Home

98 10 12
By paulapdx

Previously on "The Otherworlders": Having botched Master Achebe's team exercise early on in training, Cameron, Jake, and Sebastian are not terribly excited to be reunited again, this time on an actual mission.

However, trying to ignore the insult of Farid, a Second Son, being sent out into the field first, Sebastian is determined to lead his team and make sure that, no matter what happens, they return to the Academy having successfully completed their mission.

**********

Sebastian is sitting on the front steps of the Academy, on the opposite side from Jake and Cameron. They're all waiting for the car that's been ordered to pick them up and take them to their mission.

Farid walks out the front door, nods cordially at Cameron and Jake, and then standing behind his brother, leans forward and slaps his hands onto Sebastian's shoulders.

"Gods, Farid! Don't do that!" Sebastian exclaims, muttering irritably as he presses his phone to his thumping chest. "You gave me a heart attack!"

Farid laughs as he jumps down onto the step below and settles in next to his brother. He leans over and nudges Sebastian with his shoulder. "So, you ready for this?"

Sebastian scrunches up his face in irritation. "Of course, I'm ready!" he says, putting his phone away, then looking back up at Farid. "Oh, you're gonna love this..." He chuckles. "We're being sent to Prince Julian's engagement party for our mission."

"What?!" Farid squints. "You mean your mother's cousin? That Prince Julian?"

"The one and only!" Sebastian confirms.

Farid slaps his cheeks and slowly drags his hands down the sides of his face. "Dude, I'm so glad I didn't get this assignment. I hate those kinds of parties."

"Oh, really, now?" Sebastian leans back and assesses his brother. "I don't see why. All you ever did was hang out in the kitchen with the staff and the other Second Sons, while I died of sheer boredom having gods-awful conversations with Vampyrs more ancient than the pyramids!" He rolls his eyes. "You got off so easy!"

Farid grins. "I know," he says. He had a knack for making himself exceedingly scarce at the many, many formal functions he was forced to attend with his brother.

Farid looks around, assessing the situation. "So, wait. What are you guys doing out here? Aren't you taking the train?"

"No," Sebastian says. "Father got wind that we were attending the party, and he wants us to stop by the house first, since it's on the way. I told him, in that case, he needs to send a car for us."

Farid bows his head, looking rather grim. "Yeah, so about Father..." he begins, "he was acting really weird when he was out here, you know, when they had that big parent's meeting?"

Sebastian leans back and eyes his brother. "Weird how?"

Farid leans forward, and lowering his voice, says, "He wanted to know every last detail about the other kids. Essentially, he asked me to spy for him."

Sebastian's mouth drops open as, at first, he's shocked, then he slowly shakes his head and laughs. "Gods! Never put it past that man to grab any opportunity he can to gain a political advantage!"

Farid chuckles. "Yeah, I know. It's such a classic 'Father' move." He leans in closer. "You do realize that outside of the Masters and the High Council, no one is supposed to know anything about what we do here?"

Sebastian's back stiffens and his eyes narrow, disappointment tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I know very well that what we do here is confidential, Farid!" he snaps. "What do you take me for, an idiot?!"

"No! Of course not!" Farid replies with a concerned look. "I just wanted to give you a heads up, you know, in case Father tries to—"

"There's no need," Sebastian snaps then turns away, clearly hurt. "I've got this."

Farid leans forward, resting his arms on his thighs and clasping his hands in between them. He lets out an exasperated breath. "Bash, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to suggest—"

"Of course you didn't!" Sebastian cuts him off, testily. "I said..." he sucks in a deep breath, then continues slowly, emphasizing each individual word, "I said, I've got this."

"Alright! Alright!" Farid holds his hands up in defense. "Geez," he mutters, backing off before they get into an argument.

Not knowing what else to say, he looks out over the Academy lawn. Just then, a black stretch limousine pulls into the driveway.

Jake looks up from his phone and stares at the limo, confused.

Cameron, seeing the limo as well, stands and mutters, "Unbelievable," under his breath.

Farid looks at Sebastian. "Okay, Bash, you said you asked father to order you a car." He clears his throat. "You didn't mention you had him order you a limousine! Why didn't you just take one of the Academy cars?"

Sebastian stands, nonplussed, and brushes dust from the back of his pants. "Seriously, Farid? You can't expect us to show up at the prince's palace in a Prius!" He rolls his eyes. "Anyway, I need to brief the guys on Vampyric protocol, so I need their complete and undivided attention. That means someone else needs to drive."

Farid's head dips forward as he pinches the bridge of his nose, debating whether or not to try and straighten Sebastian out on the whole being a pretentious ass is not going to win you any friends front.

After a beat, Farid stands, then on a long exhale, he perseveres. "You know, Bash, the other kids already feel uncomfortable with our customs and our ways. I don't know that you're really helping yourself..." He gestures towards the limo. "...fit in, with this sort of thing."

Sebastian shrugs, unconcerned. "I don't need to fit in, Farid," he mutters. "I just need to get the job done." He gives his brother a cursory look over his shoulder as he grabs his bags. "That's what Headmaster Pierce wants, so that's all that really matters." He nods curtly at Farid. "I'll talk to you later, bro."

Farid lifts his chin in return, wishing that Sebastian's claims of not caring about being accepted were even remotely true. But he knows his brother better than that. He knows there's nothing in the world Sebastian wants more than to fit in, to be accepted by his peers. He just doesn't know how to go about it.

Farid leans back against the pillar of the stairs and tucks his hands into his pockets, watching as the other boys pile into the limousine. His stomach churns with the knowledge that, despite his brother's bravado, if Sebastian can't gel and get along with the other guys and ends up in charge — or at least under the impression he's in charge — there's no way in hell this mission doesn't do anything but go sideways.

***

The limousine pulls up to a tasteful stone mansion, built of grey slate and accented with warm limestone, white trim, and big picture windows. It's grand, yet understated, and looks very much like an 18th-century farmhouse, just a hundred times bigger.

The limo crunches up the gravel drive and comes to a stop in front of the wide granite steps. Sebastian hops out and throws his arms up above his head to stretch. Then turning back says to the other boys, "We're here!"

Cameron and Jake both spill out of the car. They stretch as well, then stand perfectly still and look up to gape at the enormity of the house before them. It's elegant, it's alluring, and it's ridiculously large!

The driver steps out of the limo and heads to the back of the car to pull the boys' bags out of the trunk.

Sebastian gestures towards the house with a casual wave of his hand. "You can just leave our bags in the front hall, Miles. We'll take them up ourselves."

"As you wish, sir," Miles responds.

Sebastian turns to Jake and Cameron, and spreading his hands out before him announces, "Home, Sweet Home, boys!" He plasters on a big smile, his voice carrying only a hint of irony. He props his fists on his hips and looks back at the mansion over his shoulder. "That's just the main house, actually."

"The main house?!" Jake's eyes practically pop out of his head.

"Yep," Sebastian replies casually. "This is where I live with my parents."

"Wow," Jake mutters underneath his breath. "It's big... It's a... really, really big house."

"Yeah," Sebastian agrees nonchalantly. "There are about 37 rooms in all." He squints and taps his chin thoughtfully. "Actually, maybe there are 38. I'm not sure. I always lose count. Anyway! Over there..." He gestures to his right. "...by the pool, opposite the tennis courts, is a whole separate wing, comprised of let's see..." He squints again. "The Carriage House, the Guest House, and the Gardener's Quarters. Those premises were all converted into homes for my father's other wives and all of my half-siblings."

"So, wait." Cameron holds his hands up. "You and your parents, the three of you, live alone in this 37—"

"38," Jake corrects.

"Thank you, 38-room mansion, and everyone else lives in the guest house and the servants' quarters?" Cameron looks at Sebastian skeptically.

"Of course!" Sebastian insists, giving Cameron a quizzical look. "That's how it's always done. The First Family lives in the main house. But don't get me wrong, all the additional spaces have been completely renovated. They're quite nice, actually. In fact, I spend most of my time on that side of the manor." He tips his head to the side towards the extra wing. "I mean Farid and I practically shared a room growing up, even though his bedroom was easily a quarter of the size of mine. I don't know..." He shrugs and adds softly, "It just felt more like home. It was definitely more appealing than this monstrosity." He looks up forlornly at the mansion and sighs. "Speaking of which, we should probably go inside. I'm sure the servants have already spotted us and told my parents that we've arrived."

***

Inside the McFadden mansion, a woman in her late thirties stands in the middle of a large group of servants. She's doling out advice, guidance, and instructions like a pro. Despite her simple, yet elegant dress and calm, composed demeanor, it's clear, she's the woman in charge.

Petite yet athletic, with soft caramel skin and a long, deep mahogany braid tossed casually over her left shoulder, it's remarkable how much she looks like a lovely, older, female version of Farid.

"Mina!" Sebastian runs into the hall and practically throws himself into the woman's arms.

Mina McFadden gives her stepson a big, warm hug; and after a moment, leans back and smooths Sebastian's unruly hair, gently pressing it in so that it frames both sides of his face. "Your father mentioned that you'd be stopping by," she says as she tucks a lock of hair behind his ear. "And how are you doing at school, my dear... hmm?" she coos. "Farid hinted that you might be having a little trouble adjusting, and your emails always sound so, well... so sad," she finishes.

"Farid shouldn't have done that," Sebastian pouts. Then, after a beat he puts on a brave face. "No, I'm good. I'm good, Mina."

Mina tilts her head skeptically. "Sebastian..?"

Sebastian blows out a slow breath. "All right, to be honest," he says in a low voice. "I'm kind of just hanging in there. It's all a bit..." He struggles to find the right word. "Overwhelming, I guess. It's much tougher than I'd thought it'd be."

"Well..." Mina cups his cheeks. "You've always found a way to rise to the occasion when it really counts. I'm sure you'll find a way to turn it around."

Sebastian smiles at her gratefully. "I'm going to try this time, Mina. Honestly, I'm going to try very, very hard."

"I know you will, dear," Mina says softly. "You'll make it work. I believe in you."

"Sebastian!" A steely female voice booms from behind them.

A woman, in her mid-forties stands on the bottom step of the massive, center-hall staircase, glaring jealously at the warmth on display between Mina and her son.

With long, shiny black hair, gaunt features and clear, pale skin her posture exudes the sort of confidence, authority, and air of superiority that makes world leaders cower.

She's also clearly accustomed to formality and ceremony since she's dressed in a long, black gown more suitable for an evening affair than a mid-day luncheon with her son and his compatriots.

Sebastian looks up at his mother, Lady Brigitte McFadden, as she cuts him with a dagger-like stare.

Arching a thin, carefully groomed brow, she asks, "Sebastian. Is it not appropriate to greet your mother first, before anyone else in the household?"

Sebastian closes his eyes and sucks in a girding breath before stepping out of Mina's arms. "I didn't see you there, mother," he admits quietly, but with disdain dripping from every word.

Gently, he touches Mina's arm for reassurance before moving past her to greet his mother, as is expected by protocol.

Lady Brigitte simply stands there, waiting patiently for her greeting.

As she glides off of the stairs and waits for her son to step into her open arms, she keenly eyes Jake and Cameron — sizing them up — but keeping a well-practiced, yet wholly insincere smile, plastered on her face the entire time.

Sebastian leans in and visibly bristles at his mother's touch as he kisses the air on either side of her cheek. Lady Brigitte does the same to him, both putting on a good show.

Cameron and Jake exchange quick glances, picking up on the icy nature of the relationship between Lady Brigitte and her son. They each look away, not wanting to add to the stifling awkwardness of the moment.

Lady Brigitte gently urges Sebastian aside as she makes her way towards them. "And these must be your friends," she says.

"They're not my friends, Mother," Sebastian mutters, "they're my classmates."

Hearing this, Cameron and Jake exchange mutual eye rolls before turning their attention to Lady Brigitte as she makes her way over to them, extending her hand for them to take, deferentially of course.

In the car, Sebastian explained to them — ad nauseum — the importance of introducing yourself to the host, and how Vampyric custom dictates that you supplicate yourself, showing gratitude for them welcoming you into their home.

Cameron is up first. He steps forward and bows his head over Lady Brigitte's hand in a gesture of respect. "It is so very nice to meet you, Lady Brigitte. Thank you for having us in your home."

Lady Brigitte bows her head, incrementally, accepting Cameron's kind words. "You are most welcome," she says regally.

Jake is next. He steps up to follow suit and, as he reaches out to take Lady Brigitte's hand, her back straightens and her lips tighten into a taut, thin line.

She's never had to deal with a Shifter before — thank the gods! — and instinctively, she's much more cautious and less welcoming to him.

Jake repeats both the gesture and the greeting Cameron had just offered to Lady Brigitte, but his delivery is much stiffer and far less confident, formalities not being his strong suit.

"It's nice to meet you, Lady Brigitte," Jake mumbles. And then suddenly, he remembers he has to make the required gesture, so he awkwardly leans over and bumps his forehead against her hand. "Thanks for having us in your home," he adds.

Lady Brigitte looks down at the top of Jake's head and wrinkles her nose as she slowly pulls her hand out of his grip without offering any sort of acknowledgment. Instead, she looks up and brushes past him as if he were nothing more than a servant asking her what time she would like dinner to be served.

Clenching his jaw, Jake swallows the sting of Lady Brigitte's snub and reminds himself to stay calm and let the Vampyric insults roll off of him, for the sake of the mission.

"Sebastian," Lady Brigitte coos. "Why don't you take your friends — um, pardon me — your classmates upstairs to your room? Hmm? Your father would like to speak with you when he's finished with his conference call, and I'm sure they'll be much more comfortable waiting for you up there."

Without stopping for a response, Lady Brigitte gives both Cameron, and particularly Jake, one last once-over before turning to leave. She casts a contemptuous glance Mina's way, and then glides back up the stairs to return to her bedroom lair.

**********

A/N - I love that you guys get to learn more about Sebastian's complicated family dynamics. We'll explore these dynamics further in the next chapter! 😊

~ Paula ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42K 420 19
This is a Percy Jackson/ Heroes of Olympus and Keeper of the Lost Cities crossover. All of the Seven are dead except for Percy, and Percy is super OP...
363K 13.4K 30
[1] New Beginnings: WARNING!! Story is technically complete but I started editing literally years ago then never finished so the beginning's a little...
3.9K 120 23
HeavenGlade Serena Are Famousness Peoples both in Muggle and Wizarding world. They are the most's important Royal Pureblood's to ever Lived in the b...
1.3K 29 15
*COMPLETED-25K+ WORDS* Bella Cooper is defiant and strong, even when her modernized finishing school for girls tries to rip her opinionated personali...