A Different Path

By shainishukla

A year ago, Karna had done the unthinkable when he had come to Abhimanyu's aid, refusing to take part in the... More

Karna
Blood
Decision
Daughter
Discussion
Return
Enemy
Son
Invitation
Sun
Mirror
Glass
Awakened
Questions
Garden
Appeasement
Loyalty
Confrontation
River
Parting
Compromise
Deluge
Nightmare
Toy
Mistrust
Wheel
Chapter 27: Punishment
Mountains
Threat
Council
Retreat

Separation

693 53 9
By shainishukla

"This is truly one of the most beautiful sights in the world," Satyasena said, looking at the cascading waterfall. The white, frothy water disembarked the tall cliff to gush down with a deafening roar. The surrounding mist created a surreal sight, giving it a mystical touch.

"It surely is." Vrushali responded, smiling at him lightly.

It had taken them a month to reach Tanshul. The guardian and protector of the Kilsa tribe greeted them warmly and was largely sympathetic to their cause. "Stay here for as long as you want, Queen Vrushali. I cannot give you the riches and luxuries of a kingdom; however, I hope you will be pleased with whatever hospitality we have to offer."

His mother shook her head at him. "We have no need for anything else, Tanshul. I offer you my gratitude for taking in my family and me."

They had assimilated well with the village folk. The Kilsa tribe spent their mornings catching fish in their small boats and scavenging for wild fruits. Their knowledge of the land stumped Satyasena. One of the tribesmen was so brilliant that he could predict at any moment which wild animal would come to drink water from the lake. Prasena, impressed by the feat, began to clap aloud for him for getting it right in nearly every guess. His other brothers shared a mischievous smile and did the same, causing the young man to blush like a newlywed. Now, the poor man had to run away any time Susharma or Prasena came near him, for they were sure to drag him to the lake and force him to perform his marvelous trick yet again.

At night, the village would gather around to listen to the elders, who narrated to them the teachings of Shiva Purana through fables. It was a very simple lifestyle, but one that filled him with warmth. He hadn't thought he would feel comfortable anywhere except their home in Anga, but this place came a close second. Their Grandfather had shed his earlier stoicism and would spend his time with the other geriatrics, trying to understand their complicated history. Grandmother and Mother took it upon themselves to expand their culinary skills by learning to prepare the local cuisine. Even Satyasena, who didn't particularly like fish, had been blown away by the dish that they had made for them a week ago. He had to make do with only a few morsels because Chitrasena and Sushena had attacked the meal as if they hadn't eaten in months.

His mother left him to tend to his grandparents. He found Banasena, Prasena, and Dvipata playing a game of tag in the garden, and Susharma went in to join them, running fast to frighten Dvipata, who was looking elsewhere. Susharma shoved him, causing Dvipata to fall to the ground, landing hard on his stomach. Dvipata moaned in pain and scrambled up, giving Susharma the most vicious glare. The two started roughhousing each other, and Prasena and Banasena came in to join the fight.

"What a lively bunch of boys."

Satyasena began to laugh. Tanshul had joined him, eyeing the commotion with interest. "Boys that age are so ferocious."

"They deserve to have a little fun. You cannot imagine what it was like in the mountains."

"Oh, you have my sympathies, Prince. Such harsh conditions up there. But here it is like spring all the time!"

"I am very glad to be here," Satyasena said. "I cannot thank you enough."

"Don't thank me. I am merely returning the favour extended by your father."

Satyasena knew the story all too well. The war between Kilsa and the neighbouring tribes had been going on for decades. Bloodshed had become a way of life. Understanding that he would need more strength and resources, Tanshul reached out to his Father for help, having heard tales of his valour. His Father had come to Tanshul's rescue by brokering peace between all the tribes and negotiating a treaty that was so concrete that all tribes had to agree to it.

"Angraj had helped us but refused to take anything we had to offer as a token of our appreciation. He did a good deed and then went away without a care for anything. To me, that was one of the most incredible acts of selflessness I have witnessed."

"Yes, Father is very much like that," Satyasena said. He remembered the incident very well because it had happened right around the time when Shatrunjaya was born. Vrishasena had accompanied their Father, and he had come back delighted by the beauty of the land, telling them all about the flowers and wildlife for hours on end. That was back then, when Vrishasena actually shared his feelings with them.

"I do hope he comes here once. It would be my honour to host him."

Satyasena smiled at Tanshul. "I am sure he would like that too."

"Be sure to attend the puja and aarti, Prince."

"Oh yes, I will." Satyasena responded. Each year, the twelve tribes came together to offer their respects to their common God. The tradition had been suspended during the war years but had now been revived as a day to celebrate this newfound peace. Tanshul had been rather persistent about having his family join in on the festivities. It's the most glorious day of the year for us, Queen Vrushali, he said in delight. You must come and see it for yourself.

They would obviously not be able to go like themselves, so Tanshul had arranged special garments for them, similar to what the locals would wear. He had received his clothes yesterday, and he couldn't help but smile in glee. It was all he could think about. Finally, they would get a chance to let loose and have some fun. Out of all of them, only Vrishasena had opted out of the puja. It did not surprise Satysena in the least.

After putting on the clothes, he rushed to the mirror to see himself in traditional Kilsa garb. The clothes were nice and fit him well; the only problem was the gigantic headgear that he was having trouble balancing on his head. It contained trinkets with each of the tribe's special symbols connected through strings. One of the trinkets kept hitting him in the eye, and he adjusted the headgear to move it away from him.

He heard laughter behind him and turned to find Sushena and Dvipata, pointing at him.

"Oh, brother, you look lovely." Dvipata said, bursting into a fit of giggles.

"Go away, Dvipata." Satyasena raised an eyebrow, "And you are wearing the same clothes!"

"Yes, but it suits him. And unlike you, he doesn't need to keep one eye permanently closed off." Sushena responded, mocking him by closing one eye and imitating his struggles.

"It's this stupid trinket; it keeps poking me in the eye!" Satyasena exclaimed, rearranging the position of his headgear. After embarassing him for another fifteen minutes, Sushena advised him to go to Chitrasena. "He's the one who helped us. Or you could go to Mother after she is done dressing up Vrishketu."

They parted ways, post which Satyasena set out seeking Chitrasena. He made his presence known before entering his brother's room and was surprised to find Vrishasena and Chitrasena engaged in what seemed like a serious conversation. A pang of hurt hit him hard at the level of comfort they shared with each other. No matter how silent and secretive Vrishasena was, he always listened to Chitrasena. Always. And it was the same for Chitrasena, who would never question Vrishasena's judgment.

"Why aren't you ready, Chitrasena?" Satysena asked. "Elder brother Vrishasena, will you be joining us?"

They exchanged a look. "We believe it would be unwise for any of us to go."

Satyasena frowned. "But why?"

"Why? Because everyone from the twelve tribes will be there, and they are likely to have invited their own set of guests," Vrishasena said.

"So what?"

"One of the tribes is promised wealth and protection by the Kingdom of Manipur. Their princess, Chitrangada, is married to Prince Arjuna. They have a son together," Chitrasena explained.

"We have heard that the kingdom is sending a few dignitaries to the event. We cannot risk being seen here. If the news reaches the Pandavas, who knows what they will do?" Vrishasena added.

"But Father saved Prince Abhimanyu!" Satyasena exclaimed, taking his voice a notch higher. "And didn't you once say they were righteous men? Surely, they wouldn't do anything that would harm their honour."

"I am not betting our fate on their discretion. We cannot go. I have spoken to Mother, and she will communicate our reservations to Tanshul."

Anger like scalding oil gripped Satyasena, and he bared his teeth, furious and beyond control. "And you couldn't possibly inform the rest of us about your clever plan beforehand? Look out, all our brothers are dressed and excited to go. Even our grandparents were looking forward to this. Why do you have to strip away any chance we get to have some pleasure and amusement?"

Chitrasena scowled at him. "Satyasena, calm down. Why are you so agitated? The Kingdom of Manipur had sent confirmation of their attendance in the morning. We got to know about now. It's just something we were discussing while he was helping me put on these clothes. And it makes perfect sense."

"I am sick of hiding all the time! I was looking forward to this... going out, meeting other people, and engaging in these festivities! We are going in disguise; no one will recognise us."

"It's too dangerous," His eldest brother retorted.

"How? Nobody here knows us well! There would be a massive crowd with all the tribes gathering. And we are dressed appropriately. There's no way anyone would even notice us."

"As I explained previously, we are not in a position to take that risk," Vrishasena said, folding his arms. The same posture he would get into each time he took a decision. And, of course, everyone had to listen. He was the eldest, after all.

Satyasena curled up his fists by his side. "Very well, then. If you have any need for me, you can find me in my room. Hiding, just like you want me to."

He turned to leave, but Vrishasena sped up, grabbing his arm and holding him to the spot. "Why must you be so difficult? Don't you realise that all these actions we are taking is in our best interest?"

Satyasena exhaled, his nostrils flaring at Vrishasena's absurd justification. "First of all, we don't take any decisions. You take them. And then you enforce them with absolutely no thought for the rest of us."

"I am only looking out for you!"

"Nonsense! This has nothing to do with our safety and everything to do with your incessant need to control everyone around you. You didn't even want to go!"

"I wouldn't have stopped you if the situation wasn't this complex." Vrishasena hissed, his mouth contorted into an ugly sneer. "We have a lot to lose if we are found, Satyasena."

"From where I stand, it seems like we have already lost plenty."

His words hung in the air. Vrishasena opened his mouth to speak, but it was like he was searching for the right words and couldn't find them. It was for the best because Satyasena was in no mood to listen to another convoluted explanation on why he should never step foot outside. He had heard enough of that in the past few months.

"Eldest brother, your concern is much appreciated. Now, may I be excused?" Satyasena glared back with flinty eyes, closing in enough to invade his brother's personal space. Vrishasena didn't back down, but he did loosen his hold on him.

"This is not what I wanted either. Can you not see it?"

Satyasena gulped. "Yes, but your disposition is very much suited to the situation we are facing. Being as heartless as you are must work to your advantage."

"Satyasena! That's enough!" Chitrasena reprimanded him, but his warning went unheeded in the tension between the two brothers.

"You think the worst of me, Satyasena. I cannot understand why." Vrishasena said, though this was the first time in the past year that Satyasena could see any actual emotion on his brother's face.

"Why do you even care? What difference does it make?" He stated quietly and blazed out of the room, his rage intact and ignited to a degree that it would take hours to fizzle out.

He hadn't gone too far, just reached the entry of his room when Chitrasena came running up to him. "Dear God, Satyasena! I cannot believe you would behave this way! To speak in that tone to Elder Brother, to use such words for him...simply unacceptable. You must apologise."

Satyasena threw the headgear that he had worn stupidly through the fight and slammed it against the opposite wall. The trinkets broke off and flew across the room. He ran a hand through his hair and breathed hard, slumping on the floor. Sitting on the cold ground against the wall, he mumbled silently. "I'd like to be alone."

When he saw his brother in such a pitiful state, Chitrasena softened. "I am sorry, Satyasena. I should have known how excited you were to go. Trust me, so was I."

"Don't be this way." Chitrasena pleaded when Satyasena didn't respond. Satyasena was almost vibrating with anger, covering his face behind his fingers. "I can't do this for much longer," he uttered softly, but it was loud enough to catch Chitrasena's attention.

"I think I am going to lose my mind." Satyasena breathed out, his distant gaze darting across the room. As if he expected the room to shrink around him, close enough to encase him forever. Gulping hard, he imagined waking up one day to find the walls touching him on all sides, barely leaving room for him to breathe. No space for any movement whatsoever. He felt trapped, awaiting release from this panic and isolation. Maybe he really wasn't as strong as his eldest brother. Maybe that's why Vrishasena stopped coming to him.

"Let's go." Chitrasena declared. He picked up the headgear that Satyasena had thrown away and put it back on his head.

"What are you doing?"

"We are in disguise. No one would be able to tell who we are."

"But Eldest brother said–"

"Never mind. No one will know."

Satyasena knew what it took Chitrasena to say those words.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, now come on!" Grabbing his shoulders, Chitrasena pulled him to his feet. "We don't want to be late!"

****************************************************************

"Look, Chitrasena!" Satyasena pointed at a man selling small artifacts in his little tent. They were clay models of palaces, warriors, and animals. One in particular, resembling a man driving a chariot small enough to fit in his palm, caught his attention. He held it in his hands, feeling the hardened clay against his skin. "I wish we could gift it to Grandfather."

Chitrasena put down the model he was holding and gave him a small smile. They thanked the seller for his time and then went further to their right where a group of singers were displaying their talent. He tapped his feet as per the rhythm and hummed in a hushed tone. It was a fast tune and extremely catchy, sitting well with the sound of dholaks. The beats increased near the climax, ending in a powerful crescendo that earned applause from everyone watching. The singers bowed and thanked those who rewarded them with coins and food.

They made their way out of the crowd, feeling the beats ringing through their ears. Chitrasena pointed to a food stall operated by a man they knew from the Kilsa tribe, offering pots of fish and rice. Excited at the prospect of having his favorite dish, Chitrasena rushed ahead, leaving Satyasena behind. Satyasena apologised to the families he bumped into and crossed over in his attempt to catch up with Chitrasena. He had almost made it to the food stall, but he ended up stepping over someone's foot and colliding straight into another passerby. Chitrasena held him, as he found his footing before he looked up to find the man who was staring intently at him. Satyasena's blood ran cold at this chance encounter.

"You look familiar." The stranger remarked, eyeing him with interest. Behind him, his lackeys stood at attention, giving him a dirty look. They were not dressed in the garb of the tribe; instead, they wore clothes suitable for noblemen.

"You must be mistaken, sir; we have never met. Excuse us."

"No wait, hold on." The stranger stepped closer to him, breathing into his face. "I cannot place it....but I know you, I am sure of it. Are you from around here?"

Sataysena nodded. Beside him, he could feel Chitrasena tense up. "I do not recollect meeting you. Forgive us, but we are in a hurry to reach home. Hope you have a good time."

The stranger licked his lips, halting his departure by raising his hand. He continued to stare at him, looking straight into his eyes. Finally, after what felt like hours, he nodded. "I suppose you are right."

Satyasena bid him farewell, keeping his expressions in check. He maintained a steady pace to not arouse suspicion, but once he was a safe distance away, he finally released the breath he was holding.

"Satyasena! Who was he?"

"He is a brigadier in the army of the Vrishni dynasty. I fought his regiment in the Kurukshetra War."

He could see blood drain from Chitrasena's face. "We need to get out of here."

Adjusting the headgear to minimise the exposure of their faces to passersby, the two brothers hurried back to their home. Questions swirled in Satyasena's mind regarding the presence of that brigadier. He could feel the tension in his temples. If that man had truly recognised him...he wasn't sure what would happen next.

"Relax; he doesn't know who you are and this is the last place where he would expect you to show up. Stop worrying and go get some rest."

Unconvinced, Satyasena nodded at his brother and headed to his room.  As he removed the clothes sent by Tanshul, he sighed aloud and sat down on the bed, eyes fixed on the window. He placed his hand on his heart as a few drops of sweat rolled off his forehead. Quietly, he covered himself under the thin blankets. His forehead was stamped with sweat, but exhaustion finally had him drift off into sleep.

****************************************************************

"Satyasena! Wake up!"

Satyasena blinked his eyes. Sushena was by his bed, frantic and nervous. He could hear loud voices coming from outside, and that propelled him to sit up, throwing the blanket off himself.

"What happened?"

"I am not sure, but we might be under attack. Come with me!"

Sushena led him to Tanshul's house, which was only a few minutes away. Slamming the door open, he found Tanshul and a few of his trusted military aides huddled in a group. Chitrasena was there too, as were Vrishasena and his mother. Chitrasena took him aside and explained it to him. The watchers of the tribe, hiding on the hillsides, had seen a group of men heading in the direction of their settlement. From the looks of it, they belonged to the military, but due to the darkness they couldn't ascertain who they were.

"They did not belong to any of the twelve tribes. We know that for sure. The garments are not from around here." Tanshul told him.

"Do you think?" Satyasena whispered to Chitrasena, who shook his head in defeat.

"I don't know." His brother replied, as frank as possible. Their small conversation was obviously lost to Tanshul, who turned to his right-hand man.

"Could they be friendly?"

"Unlikely, Chief. Why come in the middle of the night without a message?"

Tanshul stepped away a little, licking his lips. "Alright. Gather our men. We have to be prepared for everything!"

As Tanshul began barking orders, Satyasena slipped through the crowd to pull his Vrishasena aside. "We must speak."

"Not now, Satyasena. One problem at a time."

"No, you...you don't understand. This is a real threat, and I am the cause of it."

Vrishasena was silent as a winter morning when Sataysena and Chitrasena were done with their narration. How they had disobeyed him for an evening of carousing and how, in the midst of a busy crowd, he had encountered the brigadier. How even though the brigadier had ultimately let them go, Sataysena had felt eyes on him throughout the night.

Vrishasena broke away from them as if to create some distance. He was furious, as was evident by his look, but there was a sudden caution there too, that sent a shiver down Sataysena's back. As hard as his brother was and as expressionless, it was moments like these when he became noticeably anxious that signaled how grave the situation was.

"I am sorry, brother..." Satyasena trailed off, feeling an awful pang of guilt.

Before Vrishasena could say a word, they were interrupted by Tanshul, who requested for a private audience with him. Vrishasena nodded and placed his hands on their shoulders. "Go to Mother and tell her to start packing," he said before following Tanshul back to his cottage.

They went to their quarters and quickly dumped their belongings, meagre as they were, into a bundle. He glanced at his room for a second, gulping hard as he left yet another home. Would he ever be able to come back? He didn't know. Maybe it was best not to think of these things.

Chariots lay ready on the outskirts of the village, hidden away from the oncoming soldiers. A few of Tanshul's men were boarding them with weapons, and Satyasena helped them. He could feel their frustration, could sense the underlying tension that gripped them regarding this sudden onslaught. They had sacrificed so much for peace, and yet it remained like a firefly in a meadow, always visible but away from their grasp.

Sushena and Dvipata worked in tandem, as they tossed their bags onto their chariots, and then quickly helped their grandparents climb the same. He looked around and saw his Mother speaking to Vrishasena. There was something unsettling in their manner; his mother had tears flowing down her cheeks.

"It's time to leave. Now," Vrishasena said as Satyasena came to them. 

"But what about Tanshul? And the village? We cannot just leave...we have to help them!." Sataysena gestured to the people around them, readying themselves for a possible fight.

"I'll stay back. You must go with our mother and our grandparents."

Sataysena's mouth fell open at his brother's absurd suggestion. Vrishasena turned to Vrushali. "Mother, it's time."

"No. I cannot agree to this. You are my son." Vrushali wiped away her tears and cupped her eldest's cheek. "I cannot leave you behind."

"Why are you worried, Mother? Do you not trust me?"

"My faith in you is not a medium for you to use as negotiation."

"I promised Father that in his absence, no harm would befall us. I must stay behind to ensure that. I will stall them so that all of you get the time to leave here before it's too late. Don't worry, I'll catch up with you once I am done here."

"Then we will stay behind too! Why do we have to go?" Satyasena cut in.

"Because you need to protect our mother, our grandparents, and our younger brothers and provide them with safe transit."

"Brother, this is insane. Come with us, then. How are we to know what to do ........you have to be there with us."

"If today is any indication, Satyasena, you are already capable of taking your own decisions. You do not need me."

Satyasena staggered back, his mind muddled with uncertainty. His fingers, that were curled in fists, were suddenly very sweaty.

Vrushali took Vrishasena's hands in her own. "What you are asking from me is impossible."

"I promise on all that is sacred and pure that I will find my way back to you, Mother." Vrishasena said, easing Vrushali into a hug. He let her keep her head on his shoulders as she cried, tears falling down her sari. "Mother, I derive all my strength from you. Do not weaken me with your tears."

Vrushali straightened up, using the end of her sari to wipe her face. She was resolute again as she stared at her eldest. "Do not break your promise."

"I won't."

Satyasena waited for his mother to leave, then pounced on his brother. "What are you trying to do? How will any of this help? They already know we are here...what do you stand from trying to be a martyr?"

He couldn't imagine Vrishasena not being there with them. A presence that he had begun to take for granted was being snatched away from him, and it left only despondency in its aftermath. He blinked as his nightmare breached his senses. One where the world was closing around him. Slowly but steadily.

"It's not all about buying time, is it?" Chitrasena questioned Vrishasena in a voice so low that Sataysena almost didn't hear it. He hadn't even seen him come up to them.

"No. But it is what it is."

"What are you two talking about?" Sataysena yelled. Behind him, he heard hooves clashing on the ground as his brothers and the accompanying soldiers prepared the horses for the journey.

"No! Why are they leaving already!?"

"I have spoken to them, and they understand. Now, you need to head off too." Vrishasena turned to Chitrasena. "Take him."

Chitrasena grabbed Satyasena's arm and began hauling him to the nearest chariot, even as Satyasena fought to wrestle away from his hold. Shrutyunjay was there, his face harbouring no sense of fear or worry. Detached from all of it.

Chitrasena grabbed the reins in his hands, gently pulling at them to nudge the two horses in front to action. He took his time to find his balance, and once satisfied, he maneuvered the animals into position. Tanshul's soldiers would block an attack from the front, and their chariot would be at the end to deflect any danger from behind. Chitrasena yelled at him to get to the right, where some weapons had been kept. Satyasena quickly grabbed a bow, adjusting the string as per his build and height. He heard men shouting in the background and trumpets going off in the air.

"They are here already!" Chitrasena screamed. In front of him, the mounted soldiers yelled and began to ride away from the commotion. Sushena struck at the horses, and his chariot sprang to life, following closely behind the Kilsa warriors. They heard a loud bang, and chaos ensued as the Kilsa tribe rushed into position to deflect any further attack.

Satyasena turned behind to find Tanshul and Vrishasena standing together. Tanshul held ropes in his hands, and Satyasena lost all sense when he saw the chief of the Kilsa tribe tying Vrishasena's hands with it.

"Wh—what is he doing.......Chitrasena look!"

He saw his brother's face harden, but he didn't look back; instead, he followed behind the others, determined to get away from here.

"Brother........I----don't understand," Satyasena's voice trembled as tears flooded his vision. Beside him, Shrutyunjay gazed at both of them, sitting still.

"It has to be done."

"What are you talking about?"

"Satyasena, those soldiers are out for blood. Our Father betrayed the Crown of Hastinapur, and every king out there wants us dead. Do you really think the Kilsa tribe can protect us?"

"But—why did–"

"If news spreads that the Kilsa tribe was harbouring us, that may be cause of violence amongst the twelve tribes, which may even have the participation of the Kingdom of Manipur. Tanshul and his men will not win that war."

With trembling hands, Satyasena put down the bow. He blinked hard as he realised why Tanhsul had come to Vrishasena while they were talking.

"Are you telling me, we bartered our brother for our own safety?"

"We didn't," Chitrasena said. "Vrishasena did."

Satyasena shook his head, refusing to believe it. "Does Mother know?"

"She doesn't. None of them do. It is up to us to keep it that way. Can you do that?"

Satyasena nodded, falling silent. The chariot bumped hard against a rock, causing some of their belongings to fall down. Above him, a starry night glittered, the moon presenting itself in all its glory. He turned back to catch one last glimpse of the village before Chitrasena swerved the chariot right, as per the path taken by the horses and chariots in front of him.

The last thing he saw was his eldest brother standing in captivity, looking at them, a hardened expression on his face. 

**********************************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.6K 595 23
what would be the events of mahabharata war if lord sri krishna made friendship with karna? What would happened if karna listened to krishna's advice...
90.9K 4.1K 40
Two weeks before the war, Krishna confronts Karna with the truth of his birth and offers him an impossible choice that compels him to fight on his br...
68.4K 3.4K 32
~Book 1 of Mother's secret series~ After the incident in the graduation arena, where Karna has sworn himself in front of the entire kingdom to Duryod...
35.6K 1.4K 14
A Karna-Arjun what-if story. What could have been, if before the war, Kunti let her sons know about the King of Anga's true birth? Conflicted with th...