The Crystal Chronicles: Book 2

Galing kay fallenangel531swak

Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue... Higit pa

One Human Moment
Terrible Lier
Locked Away

Fever

8 1 9
Galing kay fallenangel531swak

      "Take yahr time Ms. Alex. We ain't goin nowhere." Ty called nonchalantly from the bottom of the pit. Grabbing the rope I brought, I looked for an area to brace it. Finding a small stone pillar, I push against it. It rocks, but it feels sturdy enough. However, I am not sure it will be able to hold the weight of the heavy men trapped in the earth, but I am satisfied it didn't crumble with pressure, looks like this will have to do. I quickly wrap the rope around the pillar and call Ashley over to me. Instructing her to carefully throw the rope down into the hole, I waited for her to stand next to me. Placing the rest of the rope behind me, I hold it with both my hands and lean back. Using my body weight to hopefully counter theirs.

"Okay Ty, I need you to climb out as fast as you can." I instructed. Grunting when he begins to climb up the rope, suddenly my feet slip, and I smack against the pillar. Slightly disoriented, I grind my teeth in determination while I push my body away from the pillar and brace my right foot against it. The rope cuts into my hands, but I don't let the pain stop me from getting them out of the trap. Out of nowhere Ty's body weight becomes too heavy for the stone pillar. I gasp when the pillar begins to shake and crack, "Ty... now would be the time to grace us with your presence. If you don't hurry up, you're going to end up back in that hole." I yelled in desperation. My eyes grow wide as the pillar fractures and turns into pebbles at my feet. However, I'm surprised to find I'm not yanked into the pit. Instead, the rope hangs delicately in my hands. Looking at the hole I see Ty's upper body holding onto the edge for dear life. Without a second thought I dropped the rope, ran toward him, and grabbed his biceps. Pulling as hard as I can Ty begins to slip, but before he can fall Ashley is by my side helping me pull him the rest of the way up. Once Ty is up, I fall on my back panting. Ty offers me his hand and I take it. "You are one big boy." I wheezed. I'm still trying to catch my breath.

"That's why Ah was surprised yah wanted me to come out first." Ty chuckled. Shrugging my shoulders,

"I wasn't sure that pillar would even hold Wyatt's weight. I knew I couldn't pull you guys out on my own, so I figured if I was going to risk using the pillar. I'd have to risk you coming up first. At least then if you made it, you could help me pull Wyatt up. You are the strongest one here. No offense Wyatt." I cringed as I remembered he could hear me.

"None taken, I get it." Wyatt snorted back.

"Speaking of which, do you want to help me get him out of there so we can get out of the open?" I asked. Ty nods his head, and we begin pulling Wyatt up. Once Wyatt's topside I take a minute to breathe. Damn this poison sucks... I'm ready for a nap. Shaking off my exhaustion I look up at the night sky, "Let's go. We need to get back." I interjected. I'm anxious to get back to Matt. I need to see if the antidote is working.

"Wait, where is Matt, is he okay?" Ashley asked while Ty's face hardened.

"Um... just come on. He was alive when I left." Is all I say before I begin to weave them through the traps, I set up for the ghosted. Pausing as we reach the most difficult part: the motion censored crossbows. When I made this redneck contraption, I thought it was a brilliant idea. Now it's becoming a nuisance. Signaling the others to come closer. "Here's the really dangerous part. I have four crossbows rigged with motion cameras on top of the ridge line. Once the cameras are triggered the crossbow is designed to fire. You will each have forty-five seconds before another arrow reloads." I quickly explained.

"Geez Alex, Ah didn't realize yah knew that much about tech." Ty marveled.

"I dabble." I shyly shrugged.

"Kinda a random question, but how many arrows can one of those things hold?" Wyatt shuddered as he looked at the thin ravine before us.

"I'm sorry to also interject Alex but what makes these crossed bows so dangerous?" Ashley added, while Ty and Wyatt slowly nodded along. Looking at Wyatt,

"I restocked the arrow cartridges when I first got here. Each compartment has a hundred arrows. Matt has been the only living thing through here since I arrived, so I'd bet there's plenty of arrows left." Turning toward Ashley next to answer her question, "The arrow heads are dipped in a mixture of hemlock, white snakeroot, and nightshade. Three different poisons from around the globe. Each can be fatal on their own. Mixed together they have the power to kill a grown man in a matter of minutes without the antidote. Which as you can guess is also hard to make because you must combat all of the poisons at once. So, I urge each and every one of you to listen to exactly what I say and follow it to the letter. Am I clear?" I said with urgency. All three of them softly say yes and I quickly explain the next few steps. Seeing the concerned look on Ashley's face I place my hand on her shoulder and tell her everything will be okay. "Ty you're first."

"My Pa always told me to go cut my own switch when Ah was in trouble, and Ah thought that was extreme. But this... this sure puts the cherry on the cake." Ty groaned while he looked at the trail ahead.

"Don't be a big baby, you'll be fine. Just make sure to run as fast as you can when I say run." I encouraged him while I searched for a large enough rock to activate the sensors. Pushing my three companions flush with the canyon wall, I slowly walk them toward the narrowing section of the canyon. Slowly leaning my head out, I hear a soft click. Ducking behind the wall I listened as the arrow whizzed past and smashed into the ground.

"Damn... that came by faster than a gater gettin his food." Ty mumbled in shock.

"You'll be fine." I said as I leaned my arm out and throw the rock. Hearing all the crossbows fire I wait until the arrows are flying past my face and push Ty toward the opening. "Now go!" I urged.

Ty trips over his feet for a second causing my breathing to cease, but safely makes it past my idea of a brilliant deterrent. Wyatt makes it across without any hiccups. Other than entertainingly enough, he nearly passed out before I pushed him through the essential minefield. Giggling at his innocence my thoughts suddenly sour as I realized how inexperienced he truly is. Why did Matt him along? I know I've been working with him, but he's nowhere near ready to be out in the field. Smiling softly at Ashley, I see her body trembling in fear. I gently rub my hands over her arms,

"Hey, you've been through worse than this." I attempted to make my voice as reassuring as possible. Watching her body slowly relax, I'm pleased I managed to console her raging fear. Ashley opens her mouth but closes it quickly. Gears twist and turn behind her eyes, "What is it?" I gently asked. I'm worried Ashley will hide in her turtle shell if I'm too abrasive. Ashley stares at the ground, her eyes desperately searching for something I can't see.

"I'm scared Alex... I'm not like you or Ty... I prefer to go unnoticed. Left in the background. I know you've been training me, but now more than ever I feel like a sheep in wolf's clothes. I love helping people, but I don't know if I'm cut out for all of this..." Ashley's voice wanders off as she ponders what she's going to say next. Immediately connecting with how she's feeling I do something completely out of my character. Pulling her into my arms I hugged her awkwardly at first. My arms were stiff as boards, and I think Ashley wasn't exactly sure what to do for a minute. I'd never been openly affectionate to anyone, but I truly felt like she needed to not feel alone. I wanted her to know I understood her struggle.

"Ashley, I understand probably more than you could ever know." I quietly said, my voice cracking at the end. "Why do you think I run? It's not because I'm afraid of dying or because I'm a social loser. It's because I'm afraid I'll never become what is needed to stop Ravenna's rule. I'm in this to help every lost soul Ravenna has claimed as her own, but that doesn't mean I don't live every day in fear." Ashley began to relax in my arms and our bodies folded together in a comforting embrace. Pulling back ever so slightly to look into Ashley's eyes, "But every day I push the fear away and try to do the next best thing." Ashley's eyes well with unshed tears, I see courage grow behind her eyes and she nods her head.

"Okay I'm ready." Ashley said enthusiastically even though I can still hear fear in the back of her voice. Smiling at her I picked up a rock and threw it. Hearing the arrows release I nod my head signaling Ashley to run through. Smiling as Ashley braving begins to run through, I gasp as a horror I hadn't thought of unfolds before me.

Suddenly Ashley's foot rolls across broken pieces of arrow. I watch in horror as her knee buckles and her body collides with the ground. Making a split-second decision I run toward her, readily aware once I do my body will be a target. Halling her up by her arm I push her toward Ty as I hear the crossbows click and release. Acting automatically with their motion sensors guidance. Spinning out of the way I wince when I feel an arrow graze my arm. Safely away from immediate danger I look at the wound on my arm. Blood slowly trickles down my arm, I shrug my shoulders. The wound isn't deep and should heal quickly. Suddenly my thoughts are interrupted by worried voices.

"Alex! Are you okay?" Ashley quickly asked as she pressed the back of her hand against my forehead. "What poison did you use again? Perhaps I have a remedy." Ashley frets. Pulling her hand from my face,

"I'm fine, I promise. I have the antidote in my safe house, and I've built up a tolerance to it in case something like this happens." I quickly reassured the frantic woman before me.

"Ms. Alex. Yah do know the whole point of us coming was to save you. Matt won't be happy if he never sees you again." Ty cautiously said in his thick Georgia accent as he looked at my arm. Shrugging my shoulders,

"I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself and besides you're in my element now." The seriousness in my voice warned Ty against saying anything more. Walking over to the stone wall I quickly opened the hidden door and let them in. Unfortunately, the conversation went from worrying about me to worrying about their leader who was laying on the stone floor.

"What happened!?" Ty demanded as he rushed to Matt's side. Ignoring his question, I walk over to the cupboard and grab the little metal tin with the antidote. Smearing some on my arm to keep up with appearances. Even though I know the poison won't do anything other than drain my energy, I turn toward Ty.

"He was injured, and I couldn't get him on the bed on my own so there he lies recuperating." I said in a distant tone. Ty's face instantly fumes with rage, and he clenched his fist.

"How can yah stand there and be so indifferent?" Ty's voice boomed through the small room. "He puts his life on the line for yah and yah act as if it doesn't matter!" Ty screamed at me in fury. Feeling the atmosphere in the room change Wyatt and Ashley's faces turn uncomfortable, "Ah knew yah were trouble. Ah warned him against yah and looky here Ah'm right!" Feeling my blood begin to boil I clench my fists in response to Ty's outburst. "Does he really mean nothing to yah at all? How can yah not protect him!" Feeling fed up with Ty's accusations I lose my temper,

"Don't you dare accuse me of not caring! I left in order to protect him, to protect your whole ingrateful colony." I screamed while anger radiated off my body in hot waves. "I left so the ghosted wouldn't find you! I gave them something else to track! Something more important than your group of renegades." The venom in my voice sucks the warmth from the room and Ty shrinks back. Unsure whether he feared me or if I simply struck a nerve, but I realized I need to control myself before things get out of hand. Slowly collecting myself I take large deep breaths. "As my memory serves me, I warned you to stay away from here." My voice boomed with authority, "I told you it was dangerous, but you still didn't listen to me. So, if it's anyone's fault he's injured it's yours!" Ty's shoulders sag as these words leave my lips. But then a thought occurs to me that makes my blood freeze, "Wait... is the colony okay." I quietly asked. The anger suddenly drained from my voice by the thought of his people being in danger because of me.

"The safe house is fine." Ty confirmed before I let out the breath I've been holding. Ty looks defeated as he stares down at Matt's body, "Ah couldn't stop him if Ah wanted to." Ty's voice shakes as he continues, "Matt has accepted yah as one of our own. It went against every fiber of his being to leave yah out here alone. So, he decided against my advice to make sure you were okay." Walking over to him I gently placed my hand on Ty's shoulder.

"Matt has a mind of his own. He won't die Ty I promise. If I have anything to say about it, he'll pull through. You guys should get some rest. There's a small room at the back of the bunker. It only has two twin beds so someone will have to sleep on the floor, but it will do for now." The mental exhaustion of the last hour seeps into my voice. Ty nods his head and signals Wyatt to come over and help him. Watching them lift Matt's limp body creates a pain in my chest that I don't understand. Quickly I turned away and headed into the small kitchen. Running the cold water on full blast I quickly fill a bowl and grab a towel. When I turn around Matt's laying on the queen bed with his hands resting on his chest.

Ashley runs over and begs me to let her stay with Matt, but I quickly reassure her. I explained that her journey had already been trying and exhausting. I urged her to get some sleep while she can. I told her that I knew more about this poison than anyone and if anyone could help Matt right now it was me. Ashley's eyes darted around the room. It's as if she feels like she must be in service or she'll go crazy, but eventually caves when she reads the sincerity of my eyes. Watching her shrink into the back room I slowly walked over to Matt. He's still unconscious and looks like hell. I set the bowl on the small side table with a sigh before I quickly rested the back of my hand on Matt's forehead. His skin is damp with sweat and my brow furrows in concern when his skin seers against mine. I need to find a way to drop his fever. Dipping the rag into the cold water I gently wipe the beads of sweat from his face to try to cool his skin.

"Why are you here Matt...?" My voice breaks, "You were supposed to stay with your people. Why did you put yourself in harm's way for me?" I whispered to the universe. Sadly, I know there will be no reply, but deep down I wish there would be. I slowly continue to wipe his face and neck, re-soaking the towel in the cold water as I go along. If he can make it through the fever, he'll survive. The poison was engineered to attack one's immune system. Even with the antidote coursing through Matt's veins, the damage has already been done. Now it was up to his body to fight back and heal. If I was too late... If his body has been damaged beyond repair... It will all be my fault.

Trying to keep myself from thinking the worst, I imagine Matt recovering and returning to his people once he realizes I'm safe. However, suddenly my mind takes a dark turn and I'm left with the thought of Matt dying. Feeling a whirlwind of emotions, I don't understand. I quickly busied myself with cleaning Matt's arms. Jumping up from the bed I quickly gathered the pungent paste meant to expel the poison and the first aid kit.

The small container in my hand is filled with a rather unappetizing creation. The color is nasty due to the different herbs and plants that are crushed into the healing base and the smell could peel paint off the walls. However, if it's used properly, it could save his life. Grabbing the metal tin tightly, I rushed back to Matt's side. My temples feel as if they are about to rupture while I focus all my attention on Matt's wound.

Slowly lifting Matt's injured arm, I rest it against my leg so I can unwrap the bandage I placed earlier. Once his wound is exposed, I pick up the rag and gently wipe his arm clean. I haven't had the chance to fully examine his injury yet. I was so caught up in giving him the antidote and saving his people I breezed past that bit. The cut along his bicep definitely isn't simply a scratch. Based on what I can see it's at least two inches deep and even now it bleeds heavily. Quickly, but gently cleaning his wound I reapplied the antidote paste inside the crevice and began digging in the first aid kit. I pause when I bring the threaded needle to his skin, and I wonder if I should try to give him something for the pain. Banishing the thought; if Matt wakes up kicking and screaming it would be a welcomed surprise... because at this point, I'm worried he's not going to make it through the night.

As I'm stitching Matt up, I notice the wound slices through part of his ringed tattoo. I can't help frowning at the sight. Due to my poor judgment his injury has damaged something important to Matt. I hope the scar won't be too noticeable and ruin the art. If it does, I am not sure I'll ever forgive myself. Once I'm done stitching him up, I gently clean the blood from his arm and wrap it back up. Just as I begin to wipe Matt's brow with the cooling rag again, his body begins to convulse, and he whispers incoherently. I'm only able to catch bits and pieces while I watch in horror.

"No... Please... don't go......" Matt's head flops uncontrollably from side to side. "Mom... Dad... Caleb... Scarlet..." Quickly recognizing his family's names I am taken aback by the next name he says, "Alex... don't leave... I'm sorry... I didn't mean it..." watching as Matt fights against his nightmares I don't know what to do, but I must sooth him.

"Shhh... Matt, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere, at least not now." I whispered into his ear. Matt's uninjured arm suddenly pops up and grabs a hold of me. With one swift motion Matt tucks me into his feverish side. Feeling uncomfortable I try to get up, but Matt's arms surround me protectively.

"No... don't leave me..." Matt moaned. Unsure whether he's talking to another nightmare or to me I obediently follow his command and stay put.

As I slowly relaxed, I felt Matt's body stop thrashing and his breathing finally settled. Even though I'm trapped by Matt's side I'm still worried about his fever. However, I know what will happen if I try to get up. Matt may know I'm a freak, but the others don't. Sighing in frustration, I shut my eyes and let my powers bubble to the surface. I focus on making the water in the air around us cooler. Within seconds the temperature of the room begins to drop. Oh Matt... if you had an explanation of what I am, you'd want nothing to do with me.

The last time I was with Matt I was positive that telling him the truth was the best thing. Lying beside him now, I wonder if I was wrong. Even if Matt somehow overlooked my... Affliction? Bringing him into my world is too dangerous. He's only human. He can't heal like I can. He has people who count on him. I have no one. I've always enjoyed being alone. It brought me solace knowing others weren't being injured because of me.

However, in a measly two weeks this man had somehow changed my mind about being alone. He made me believe I could be stronger with him. Looking up at Matt's peaceful face, it's too bad I must send him away to save his life. Drifting off to the sour thought of sending him away. I was left with the after notes of a relieving feeling that at least he would be safe without me. Matt and his people will survive.  

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

433 11 30
Nobody expects something supernatural to happen to them. Those kind of things only happened in comics. Fairy Tales. Unrealistic dreams that you'd fal...
1.5M 57.7K 64
Some people merely adopt darkness, but she was born into it. Hiding every gloomy secret, covering all the lies, she walks through the life devoid of...
2.5M 52.4K 43
I left him. I never thought in a million years I would be the one to walk, but I was. I left the man I was madly in love with, I had no idea where I...
376 27 13
Born into a prestigious family, Elijah had to shoulder a lot of things- pride, family name, being the best of the best... These things were not what...