Beyond Control

By hwest36

"The only way out is through." -Robert Frost. The country of Riland is a land of opportunity and wealth but a... More

Prologue
01
02
03
04
05
06
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16

07

19 1 0
By hwest36

After getting home, I threw myself on my bed and stared at the ceiling. I couldn't believe that I agreed to do something like this. What would happen if security caught us? Would we get thrown in jail? It's not like we had any bad intentions. Emily was right about the fact that we deserved answers. Was it right to go to a point where we had to break into federal buildings?

The whole thing was causing my head to hurt. I forced myself out of bed so I could start packing for tomorrow. I opened my navy blue suitcase, and the first thing I packed was my undergarments and socks. I was gathering the rest of my clothes and let my mind wander. What would I tell my mom? What would I tell Xavian? What would I tell anybody?

I couldn't fathom this. I was not the adventurous or rebellious type. It was like my mind and body were battling each other.

My mind told me to stay and be content with what I knew. My body was urging me to go, almost screaming at me to resolve the gunfire going on in my body.

I stopped for a moment. Was this what I wanted? More than anything, I wanted to be with Emily. She is as desperate to find a resolution to the origin of our powers, obviously going to the point of breaking the law.

My phone, which was sitting on my pillow, buzzed quietly. I picked it up and opened it to see a text from Emily.

"Are you busy? If not, can we call?"

Considering no earlier messages indicated her desire to call, I suspected she wanted to discuss something troubling. Was she changing her mind?

I quickly responded saying, "Sure. I'm just packing for tomorrow."

As I set my clothes in my suitcase, my screen changed to show that she was calling me. I swiped to answer and put her on speaker so I didn't have to hold my phone while I was packing.

"Hey, Em," I spoke, setting the phone down. "What's up?"

Emily cleared her throat and spoke in a different tone I wasn't used to. "Nothing much. My mind won't shut up."

"Yours too?"

She sighed. "It's dawning on me that we're doing this. I know I've been confident about it so far, but I started feeling stressed once I started thinking about it. Based on what you said, I assume you feel the same?"

"I do," I answered. "Like I said at the restaurant, I'm not a guy that does this kind of thing."

Emily chuckled. "Eli, I don't think anybody normally does this. We're breaking into the capital building."

Hearing her chuckle naturally brought a smile to my face. "I suppose you're right. It's not an everyday thing, is it?"

"I don't think it is," Emily chuckled a little more before stopping. "I do want to talk about it, though."

I pursed my lips, trying not to start stressing about it. "Okay. What is it?"

"Listen, I don't want to force you to do something you don't want to do," she started. I packed my last set of clothes before picking up my phone and sitting on the bed beside the suitcase. "I realize that I sort of assumed that you'd be okay doing this, and I'm sorry. If you don't want to go, I'd completely understand."

Hearing her apologize so openly took me off guard, yet it made me feel good that she thought to do it in the first place. I shook my head. "Don't be sorry, Emily. I want to go, but my anxiety's getting the best of me. Once I get into it, I'm sure I'll be okay."

"Are you sure?" Emily asked with worry. "Don't do this for me. Do this for yourself."

"I know," I responded, nervous about what I wanted to say next. "I'm going to come with you because I need answers too. I didn't realize how much I needed this until you spoke to me about it. I've been struggling to keep these powers to myself for so long, and I think this is a necessary step to learning how to accept this."

Emily didn't reply momentarily, presumably thinking about what I said. Her voice was shaky when she spoke. "That's exactly how I feel, Eli. I wish it didn't have to come to this, but I don't see any other option. There's nobody to ask, nobody to turn to, and nobody to lean on..."

She trailed off, and I sighed. "Don't forget that we're in the same boat. Let's take tomorrow one thing at a time, alright?"

"You're right," she said with a sniff. "I'm sorry for dumping all of this on you. We've only been friends for a couple of days, and I'm being a whole mess."

"You're fine, Em. I want to be here for you, and I'm willing to listen to whatever's troubling you, no matter what it is," I expressed with sincerity.

Emily hesitated before replying. "You mean it? I can be a lot, sometimes. My friends have always said that I'm overdramatic and emotional."

"Oh, hush," I said, chuckling lightly. "You're never too much. Just be yourself. I can't ask you to do any more than that."

"Would you tell me if I ever am too much?"

I smiled to myself at the way we were talking to each other. It was strange how the tone of my voice changed when I talked to her. It was soft and gentle. Emily's came off that way, too.

"I don't think that'll be a problem, but I'll tell you if it ever gets too much," I reassured, standing up to finish packing my suitcase.

Emily didn't say anything. I wondered if she was debating on hanging up the phone, but she momentarily kept the conversation going.

"How's packing going?"

"Oh, it's fine. I've always disliked packing for trips and such."

A nervous chuckle followed. "I'm sorry to make you have to pack, then."

I wanted to grab her head through the phone and force her to listen because she was letting her anxiety get the better of her. I spoke with as much sincerity as possible. "Emily, listen to me. I'm looking forward to tomorrow and however long we're in Fera. Everything's fine. I promise."

"You're the sweetest person I've ever met, Eli."

Blushing, I stammered over my own words. "I-I didn't mean to be. I'm just trying to make sure you know that I want to go with you. I know it'll be tough once we get there, so I want to give you all the support you need."

"I'm glad that I can trust you."

The truth was, under the confident mask she portrayed in school, an insecure girl hid in the darkness. It revealed itself quicker than I anticipated, but Emily made it seem like she was very comfortable around me.

It's not like I was intentionally trying to win her over, but I absolutely loved having her presence and spending time with her, and it seemed to be paying off. Did I have a chance with her?

I frowned. What was I thinking? Did I want to win her over? Did I want to spend this much time with her? Did I want to have a chance with her? I didn't like her like that before, so why was I having these thoughts now?

"You okay?"

Her voice shook me out of my thoughts. "Uh, y-yeah. Why do you ask?"

"You got quiet, that's all," Emily implied.

"I'm okay," I stated. I looked at the time, which read just past ten. "Are you getting tired at all? I don't want to keep you up too late, especially if you're driving."

Emily's voice turned into confusion and with a hint of sarcasm. "Who said I was driving?"

"You did, dummy."

She hesitated. I assumed she was trying to remember. "Oh, you're right. We agreed to take my car, didn't we? Also, I'm not a dummy. That's your role."

Her comment took me aback. "W-What? No, I'm not!"

Emily broke into laughter. "You're funny when you get all defensive. I'm just messing with you."

Playfully pouting, I made a "Hmph" noise, which made her giggle more. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, Emily. Do you want to go to sleep or not?"

She dramatically sighed. "I probably should, but I don't want to."

"Why not?"

I finished packing, so I set my suitcase beside my door. After lying down, Emily's tone changed to a soft and sad tone. "I don't know. I've enjoyed spending time with you, so I don't want it to end. I know it sounds stupid, but-"

"No," I interjected quicker than I intended. "It's not stupid. I feel the same way."

"Okay," she replied with a hint of satisfaction. "I'm sorry that I'm being like this. I should let you go to sleep."

"Is that what you want?"

She didn't answer for a moment. "To be honest, no. You give me a sense of peace. I don't know why."

I smiled. "Really? I don't feel like I do anything."

"It's hard to explain," she spoke. "We've only known each other for a few days, but it feels like forever. Yet, here we are."

She laughed nervously after she finished her sentence. I thought of an idea, but it was a bold one. Should I suggest it?

I gathered up the courage to ask, nervous about the potential outcomes. "It's okay if it's too soon or you don't want to, but we don't have to hang up. How about we stay on the phone overnight?"

"Oh, I didn't think of that," she answered with a happier tone. "I'm okay with it. Are you sure?"

"I am if you are."

"Well, I am if you are."

"I guess we're staying on the phone, then," I said with a chuckle. "You're gonna have to deal with it."

She responded in an overly dramatic manner. "Oh, no! Whatever shall I do? I'm stuck on the phone with some weirdo! Somebody save me!"

"Oh, whatever," I joked, rolling my eyes. "We're both weirdos with powers, so don't act like you're any different."

She laughed. "You're right. That's the best part, though."

"What do you mean?"

"We both have powers, and we can express that freely," Emily answered before her tone shifted more seriously. "It's not something we have to hide. I feel like I've been keeping it hidden from everyone for so long that it's been tearing me up. I felt like I was losing my mind, and keeping it from all my friends was so hard, Eli."

There was one of the few differences we had. Emily was popular with a large friend group, while I wasn't popular, and my only true friend was Xavian. However, I was perfectly fine with it.

"I understand," I said. "I know I can't fully understand, but I feel hopeless sometimes, too. We have to stick together with what we know and hope we get some answers tomorrow."

"You're right," she responded while yawning. "I'm getting tired. Are you?"

I didn't realize it at first. Now that it was mentioned, it was like my body responded to the comment as if it was waiting. "I think so. Do you want to go to sleep?"

She hesitated before answering. "With you."

"With me?"

"With you," Emily said in a tired tone.

I turned my light off and pulled the blankets over me. Sighing, I wondered if this was the start of something beautiful, or if it was something temporary. Was she just playing with me?

Soft breathing could be heard through the phone, signaling she was asleep. If that was the case, I don't think she'd be willing to sleep with me over the phone. Did I want to believe that this could turn into something greater? Was it possible that someone like me could date someone as beautiful as Emily?

It had to be impossible. There was no way this was happening. I felt my body flush with nervousness.

"Eli?" Emily mumbled in a drowsily.

"What is it?"

"Don't hang up, please."

I felt the nervousness wash away.

---------------------------------------

General Murray knocked before walking into the Supreme Leader's office. "Sir, we have new intel from our spies."

Hayward looked up from his computer, silently waiting for Murray to continue. Murray fidgeted nervously for a moment before resuming.

"Hevastwa's forces are doubling in size on their eastern border, our western," he explained. "They're predicting an attack. What should we do?"

The Supreme Leader chuckled. "Send a messenger out and threaten them with a missile to the nearest city to the border. If they don't retreat, send it. I hope they don't so we can give them a good warning shot."

Murray nodded before respectfully bowing. "I will let them know right away."

As he started to walk away, Hayward cleared his throat. "I didn't give you permission to leave."

Fear shot through the general's body. "I-I'm sorry, sir. Was there anything else you needed from me?"

"As a matter of fact, yes, there was," Hayward answered with a hint of displeasure. "Is there any new intel on Alpha and Beta?"

Murray anxiously flipped through a few papers before stopping on the last one in his stack. Stepping forward, he placed it on the Supreme Leader's desk. "This is what we know so far. Beta is still training, while Alpha is planning on making a trip to Fera soon in an attempt to search for answers to where his abilities came from."

Hayward sat up straight in his chair, looking through the paper. "Oh, really? Is there anyone he's traveling with?"

"Yes, sir. Iota."

"Iota...I remember that one. Bring me their files."

"Yes, sir," Murray said as he bowed and hurried away.

Hayward examined the paper, which described the details of Alpha and Beta's statistics, last-known location, academic levels, and estimated physical fit. The Supreme Leader sighed in satisfaction before Murray returned moments later.

"Here are the files, sir."

He opened Iota's file first, quickly scanning through. The file displayed information about their given power, including its strengths, weaknesses, and limits. After scanning through it, Hayward nodded.

"Zero gravity and earth manipulation. An interesting duo."

Murray's eyes slightly squinted, knowing that the Supreme Leader was brainstorming something intense. "What do you suggest we do, sir?"

Hayward rubbed his temples in stressful thought. Later he stood up and slowly paced the room. "Is it time? I'm not sure. They're on the move, so this could be the opportunity."

The general sighed to himself, knowing of what was about to come. However, he stayed silent. He didn't want to fuel the fire that was about to ignite.

The Supreme Leader stopped and turned to him. "I don't want to initiate the operation just yet, but tell all personnel that the time is almost here. In forty-eight hours or less, Project Next-Gen will enter its second phase."

Murray's eyes widened, but he kept to himself. "I agree, sir. Do you require anything else from me at this time?"

"Send spies to Fera, while you're at it. I want all eyes on Alpha and Iota."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5K 1.9K 40
[# 88 in TEEN FICTION on 14/3/18.] [#5 in angerissues on 10/05/2018] COMPLETED!!! No matter where you come from, your dreams are always valid. RULE 1...
124K 2.4K 25
The moment his eyes lands on her, he's all determined to make her his. He gets and keeps her against her will. But what he doesn't know is that, the...
365K 9.3K 62
#1 in sword fighting #3 in darkforest #7 in weapons #12 in gory #25 in mysterious (THIS BOOK HAS MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, it's slowly being edited...
2.1M 17.4K 83
There's no reason. No explanation. No scientific function, for what is about to happen. No one knows who, or when or where or why. But it's going to...