You, Me & the Alter(cations)...

By starl1ghtlou

Farjaad Khan. Umeed Pasha. One knows how to organize substantial events, the other knows how to arrange a mag... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.

9.

483 40 99
By starl1ghtlou

"Tum theek ho?" Umeed turned to him, one eyebrow raised. Farjaad's left hand was on the steering wheel while the right one on his head, his elbow against the window.

"Kyun?" He turned to look over at her for a second before looking ahead onc again.

"Hilay ho lag rahe ho." She commented.

Umeed was still weirded out by his mood swings. One moment he was happening, warm, almost friendly. The next moment he would shut down and act robotic. Umeed had concluded that it was his normal state. So expressions on him were something that concerned her, especially if they showed joy.

"Kuch nahi khaya, sar mein dard ho rahi hai." He sighed, only a small part of it was true. He did have his protein shake in the morning but ran out of eggs, hence skipping breakfast. And Farjaad was confident that he would manage it, but the abrupt change in emotions had spun his head, reminding him that he needed food.

"Kyun nahi khaya?" She asked, intrigued to hear him. He didn't seem like the type to skip a meal, or get anything wrong for that matter. He ran with the clock, so it was interesting to heat that even he could skip a step.

"Bhool gaya." He muttered. "Tum ne khaya?" This was Farjaad's attempt at making conversation. He was still all over the place.

Part of him felt an odd relief within him. It was unexplainable, but it was present. He was at ease, he felt relaxed and it felt like things were smooth again. He was not ready to address what turn of events led to him feeling distress in the first place. He blamed it on the lack of nutrition now.

"Haan." She nodded, turning to face ahead. The weather was cold, the traffic was clear.

"Kya?"

"Well I have a strawberry jam and toast for breakfast. Aaj sooraj nikla tou socha I'll make strawberry smoothie." Umeed explained, remembering the taste of her smoothie, how nice it felt to have it after such a long time. She craved it again.

"Itni zyada strawberries?" Just as Farjaad turned as he asked the question, Umeed swiped her bottom lip with her tongue, remembering the taste of the frozen fruit on her lips. Farjaad gulped, turning back to focus on the road, feeling himself heat up.

"Mujhe achi lagti hain." She shrugged. It was a comfort food.

When she would do her homework and trace all the alphabets correctly at the age of five, her mother would give her a few tablespoons of strawberry ice cream as a reward.

When it was iftar time and nothing on the table was what Umeed enjoyed, despite not fasting at the young age of six, her mother would go to the kitchen and being out the strawberries she had specifically kept for her to snack on while the others had it with their milkshakes. Umeed already drank the milkshake when sitting on the counter along with Haya, while her mother and Zeenat chachi prepared iftar and chachu set the dishes on the table.

After her mother passed away, when she was twelve and Sameer and Haya were ten, Umeed hated strawberries, hated everything that reminded her of her mother.

When her father changed for worse, it became the only thing she relied on. The only thing that brought her comfort. Sitting outside on her balcony and eating strawberries, looking at the sky and wondering if her mother could see her from the stars. She'd fall asleep outside and would be woken up by Haya who would take her to bed, smiling at her cousins pink lips and fingertips.

When she arrived in Lahore in the that warm September and had her first breakdown, she ate the strawberries she bought on the roadside.

When she felt sick last January and had no one to look after her, take care of her or made her the yakhni that would heal her instantly, she only had the energy to make jam and toast. Then as well, it was the strawberry jam that reminded her of her mother, her mother's nurturing voice when she would take care of her and run her fingers through Umeed's hair.

"Acha kya khana hai?" Umeed snapped out of her thoughts, turning to face him. She got lost in thought for a moment, somewhere she does not get lost as often anymore.

"Tum batao, tumhe bhook lag rahi thi."

"Lag tou rahi hai." Farjaad nodded, running his fingers through his hair. "I want salad."

Umeed turned to him, an eyebrow raised, questions in her head. A salad... The man wanted a salad.

It should not surprise her anymore, but it did. Of all the things in the world, she did not expect him to answer with that. That was not on her radar. At all. She pressed her lips together, turning to look ahead at the road, a soft smile on her face.

"Let's have salad then."

-

"Wese mein ghar drop kar deta." Farjaad remarked as they entered the grand road. This was a different area. Saveira's father work in the pesticide business, so it was safe to assume they had a huge complex where they resided.

"Nahi mujhe usse milna hi tha. Thank you once again." Umeed looked over, smiling it, meaning it.

They went to a good restaurant and had greek salad, something which Farjaad introduced to her, and she was immediately a fan.

"No problem." He shook his head as they got closer to the point which was showing on his maps.

Saveira and Yusuf stood outside her house, his car parked by the gate, both ready for goodbyes.

"Thank once again. Mujhe itna maza aaya." Saveria rubbed her hands to her sides before pressing them together. It was the moment she did not like, ending an enjoyable day.

"Same here. Aaj waqayi maza aaya." Yusuf retorted, meaning it. He did not have this much fun in some time, it was full of laughter, adventure and a brewing feeling in his chest which made him want to run across the planet.

"The sunset was beautiful. Aur acha kiya ke use forun baad hum chale aaye, warna bohot andhera hona tha." She added. They got to see the sunset on the mountain top, and left when there was still some light them. It took them an hour to arrive back.

"Yeah, today was a good day." Yusuf bit his lip, already missing the feeling. It was an adrenaline rush, and it was igniting.

"Yusuf?"

"Hmm?" He looked up to her.

"I like you. Tum ache ho." Saveira smiled at him, her fingers intertwined, swaying side-to-side. It was interesting trying to share her feelings, but she wasn't afraid. There was something, and she could feel it.

"I like you too. Tum bhi achi ho." Both his hands were in his pocket. He looked down, smiling, blushing. It was making his heart race, this was what he wanted.

"Acha ab- Yusuf gaari mein betho forum." Saveria abrupt pushed him to the space between the car and the wall of her house, Yusuf panicking.

"Kyun?" He did not retaliate, he let her push, but wondered what made her panic all of a sudden.

"Umeed... Farjaad... tum gaari mein betho." She shoved him, he did not sit in the car, instead kneeled down so he was not seen.

"Shit. Shit." He whispered, seeing the lights of Farjaad's car, praying that his hot-headed friend did not recognise the car or his plate number.

Saveria stood idle, smiling as Umeed got out of the car.

"Hi!" She waved at Umeed, who furrowed her eyebrows as she got out, wondering why her friend was on the road, standing.

"Savi tum yahan kyun ho" She looked on both sides. There was just a car parked behind Saveria.

"Wo mene- wait kar rahi." Saveria cleated her throat, not knowing how to lie or what to say. She had to take care of not only Umeed's suspicions but also Farjaad's, who was not looking at her in any specific manner but she worried that he may notice the vehicle behind her.

"Kis ka?"

"Wo chale gaye, mehmaan aye thay. Un ko see-off kar rahi thi, un ke jaane ka wait. Aao." He held Umeed's arm, noticing that Farjaad was still looking at her.

"Hi." He nodded.

"Hi, Farjaad?" She asked, Umeed looking down at how firmly she was holding her wrist.

"Ji." He said and Umeed focused back onto him.

"Thank you once again." She nodded and he mirrored her actions, holding onto the steering wheel.

"Phir aglay haftay milte hain. Mein kal jaa kar budget final kara lun ga." He informed her and Umeed nodded. Saveria cursed under her breath, every second passing by so heavily.

Yusuf could faintly hear the conversation, he was squatting with his knees touching his stomach, arms around his legs.

"Perfect." Farjaad nodded and Umeed shut the door, his car driving away.

"Jaldi aao Umeed, thand ho rahi hai." Saveria pulled Umeed, making her gasp as she turned to face her friend.

"Aaj kya tum sabne theka uthaya hua hai ajeeb hone ka! Andar hi aa rahi hun." She exclaimed. First it was Farjaad with his odd behaviour, now it was Saveira acting like they were going to implode if they stayed out for another second.

Just as they both walked, Saveira turned her head to Yusuf, nodding it slowly before going in with Umeed.

Yusuf breathed out, standing up and leaning against his car, sighing, remembering how they were stood, what she was saying, about how she liked him.

He laughed, loudly laughed, as he opened his car door and sat.

-

"Uncle aunty ke koi jaane waale thay?" Umeed took the cup to tea from Saveira, who nodded and sat opposite her on the counter.

"Hmm"

"Yaar I'm sorry once again. Agar ye aaj na hota you sar par sawaar rehta." Saveria felt a little guilty for making Umeed feel guilty. If anything, she was saved from being reminded she had to meet Umeed, by Umeed calling her to cancel. She should be the one apologising.

"Oho kuch nahi hota. Wese bhi mene mama ke saat thoray kaam kar liye." She lied, a little guilty but also feeling excitement over the events. How was she going to tell Umeed that she spent the whole day on a mountain? "Tum batao, kesa raha kaam?"

"Kaam tou theek tha." Umeed furrowed her eyebrows, placing her mug on the counter. "Liken aaj us sariyal ko pata nahi kya hua tha." She thought deeply. "Kabhi wo sakht ajeeb sa tha, phie beech beech mein khush ho jaata tha. He's so weird." She shook her head, remembering his behaviour.

"Weird? Kyun yaar, bande ke buray din hote hain." Savi shrugged as she reached for a biscuit.

"Is banday ke nahi. Ye sara hua insaan hai, aik number ka kharoos. Jab achay mood mein hota hai tou dar hi lagta hai." She muttered, shaking her head once again and recalling how he was all giddy when Jackie and Hasan showed up, like something had changed. "But kaam ka hai, mera kaafi kaam ha hai."

-

Farjaad had already texted the pdf of the documents with the assigned budgets. He went over to the Hashim house and explained everything thoroughly on his end, knowing that Umeed had already contributed with her designs which Rubina and the bride had approved.

It was not difficult to sort out the budgets. It was just concerning to see how the couple had no problems with budgets, and agreed to just anything. Even the current budgets were slightly higher than what Umeed and Farjaad had estimated. They did not complain, but Farjaad still found it surprising.

Umeed asked him to meet her at Jamal Nursery Farm. Farjaad knew that plants were essential but he was surprised to find out that Umeed was not only wanting to go to the nursery for smaller events but also the Walima.

"So how do you want to do this?"

"Mene prices check ki hain har cheez ki, list banayi hai on the suppliers, sab kuch mil hi jaye ga. I'm thinking let's start with the Walima, sab se bara hai us par dekhna hoye ga. Aur phir mehendi. Baaki sab mein khud nipta dun gi" She reassured him.

"After you." He pointed to the entrance, Umeed smiling and nodding.

The look around was nice. They both introduced themself to Jamal, the owner of the farm who gave them a tour of the place and told him how their system worked. It was a relief to find out that he had a renting system. This would not only be a more cost-effective option but also it would make more sense to rent out what was required and return rather than hunting for storage or reselling.

"This is nice." Farjaad pointed at the layout in front of them, an assortment of different plants with colourful leaves, brightening the presentation. He imagined it looking nice at either the entrance or by the lamp posts that were in the lawn of the farmhouse.

"Are you crazy? Shaadi hai yaan sabzi mandi?" Umeed laughed as she looked ahead to where he had pointed. It was bizarre, it was not for weddings.

"Tou- tumhe kya acha lage ga?" Farjaad turned to her, slightly offended at her comparing his taste to a 'sabzi mandi' but brushing it past. It was nothing like that. It looked good. She shook her head and turned behind, her eyes glowing once she saw something of her interest.

"Wo dekho." She pointed behind him, Farjaad's eyes following. "Kuch aesa."

He could not help but furrow his eyebrows and scrunch his nose once he saw where she was pointing at. Loads of plant plots, shrubs, plant pots, alleys. It was all green.

"Haan ye sabzi mandi hai aur wo ghaas jo hai wo lawn ko kheyt nahi banaye gi." He could not help but retort. How was his idea funny but her pointing at tonnes of glass and more sensible? It was a wedding.

"Kheyt?" She turned to him abruptly, offended by that comparison.  "Farjaad greenery hai, natural lage ga. Upar lights hoyein gi, aas paas colours hoyein ge, acha sa mohaul bane ga." Her hands were moving everywhere, trying to bring the vision in her head to life.

"Umeed jahan tak mujhe yaad hai Rubina aunty ne kahin nahi bola ke shaadi ki theme aik jungle hai." Farjaad added, completely in disagreement with any plant at the wedding. This was also his work, and he was not going to face the humiliation of walking into a wedding and seeing that it felt more like a zoo-themed birthday party.

"Tum." She turned to him, pointing a finger. "Maintenance ka kaam karte ho, organising ka kaam karte ho, aur management ka kaam. Shaadi ki theme mera kaam hai, mujhe karne dou." Umeed threatened, not liking his remarks. She had made a vision, she was going to execute it as it was.

"Fine" He shrugged, looking at her finger that was pointing at him, the neon yellow ring decorated around it. He shook his head in disapproval, Umeed rolling her eyes and walking to the plants.  "Chaho tou mein apne aik bande ke kehta hun Murree ke raaste se aik dou bandar bhi utha le. Will stick to the theme."

She stopped in her steps, turning to see him sucking on his tongue, Umeed pressed her lips together, huffing and turning around once again. She was not going to listen to him.

"Baaji hum aap ko dou din mein bata dein ge, call kar lein ge." Jamal informed them and Umeed nodded.

They were going to rent certain plants around the dates, and wanted to confirm the availability of it before depositing the advance. It was their policy to pay in advance if the number of plants rented crossed a limit. And Umeed asked for a lot.

"Shukriya bhai." Umeed smiled and turned, walking besides Farjaad who did not speak a word, silently praying that there was not enough plants. He still found the concept abysmal. These were the moments that reminded him on why he was so reluctant on agreeing with working with someone else. His work was being fiddled with and he did not have a say in it.

He could argue, but it was so difficult to argue with Umeed. He wondered why he found it so hard. It was impossible to try and make a point, she'd already beat him to it.

"Ab?"

"Mehendi ke liye stage design, mein location bhejti hun." Umeed took her phone out, completely in her zone to take note that Farjaad was not approving of her design. She was actually aware, but chose to ignore because she was going to have her way.

-

"Umeed this is so ugly." Farjaad shook his head, in completely disapproval. The design was something he had never seen before. A patterned dark mandala design for a stage, that was incomprehensible to him.

"Ugly? Excuse me?" Umeed was struggling to feel surprise. Her and Farjaad were on complete opposite ends, and she knew she was on the right side. "Farjaad tum waqayi event planner ho? Yaar white lights, oranges hoyein ge, pinks hoyein ge, golden colours hoyein ge. Stage should compliment that!"

"Keep it black, ye mandala aur rangon ki kya zaroorat hai? Black looks elegant, aur sab hi us par ache lagein ge." He pointed at the design in front of them, the carpenter behind the desk giving him the same nasty stare that Umeed was giving.

"Bhai aaj kal aese stages hi ache lagte hain." He retorted and Farjaad completely ignored him.

"Farjaad tum mein wedding sense nahi hai." Umeed shook her head and stared back at the design. It was beautiful. It was a dark purple with hints of pinks, yellows, oranges and blues and it would look brilliant under the mehendi lights. It was perfect.

"Umeed we are not getting this. Absolutely not."

"Oh hello, mene tumhari permission mangi bhi nahi hai. Ye meri duty hai, tum yahan measurements dene ke liye ho." She scolded him, the man behind the counter turning away to not show any amusement he felt.

"Umeed no." Farjaad shook his head, standing strong. He let her get away with the plants, this was a no from him. "It looks like the front cover of an adult's colouring book." He mumbled to her.

"Bhai, ye sahab aap ko batayein ge ke kitna bara stage chahiye." She stares at him as she says it, turning around to walk away. Farjaad was livid. This woman was so stubborn he had no idea.

"Ye colours par control rakhna." He gave the worker a prolonged stare as he got out the file for measurements.

"Bhai jesa design aapne mujhe dekhaya hai mujhe bilkul wohi chahiye. Aik rang na badla hua ho." Umeed spoke loudly from the distance as she stared at the woodworks that were were on display of the store. Farjaad clenched his jaw as she handed over the blueprint of the garden and the measurements.

-

"Haan Anthony, mein tumhe sab kuch bhej dun ga. Abhi tum settle ho jaao, aur agar kisi bhi cheez ki zaroorat hoye tou batana." Farjaad turned off the lights of his bedroom and walked to his bed.

"Ji Farjaad sahab. Aap mujhe bata dein ke kab aana hai, mein aa jaun ga."

The call ended, and Farjaad groaned, stretching his muscles. It was a long day, and all he needed was sleep, but there was so much to think over, he didn't know how to.

As he lay in bed, Coco jumped up on to the bed and made it's way to Farjaad, settling by his torso and starting to purr.

He was a housecat, but this cat was as attached to Farjaad as Farjaad was to him. Any time Farjaad was gone for too long, Coco would not move past and continue purring until they both fell asleep. Even then he'd press himself against Farjaad.

"Hello baby." Farjaad smiled, scratching Coco's head, then chin. "Aaj lamba din ho gaya, you missed me?" He cooed and Coco meowed, giving the response that made Farjaad laugh.

This was a sight no one got to see, not even Yusuf. One where Farjaad, like any cat owner, spent his night giggling and cuddling his cat, talking about his day, letting go of anything that was bothering him, talking his heart out. This was a bond no one got to see, and it was going to stay like that for Farjaad. He did not want anyone seeing him like that.

"Coco, us ka kya masla hai?" He asked his cat which now rested on his back, slawing onto Farjaad's hand as soon as he scratched his stomach. "Us ko jab bhi dekhta hun mujhe bechayni shuroo ho jaati hai. Her presence annoys me." He reasoned, head resting on his palm, elbow on the pillow. Coco meowed again.

"No she is nice, but mujhe bas samajh nahi aata kya karun. Aaj mujhe kabhi sukoon mil raha tha aur kabhi aese lag raha tha ke mein gir jaun ga. Mere sar mein dard ho gayi us ke saat chand ghantey guzzar kar. Us ka kya masla hai?"

Coco gently bit onto Farjaad's finger.

"Bohot baatein sunati hai, jo mun mein aaye bol deti hai. Koi aur hota tou ab tak mein bhi baatein suna kar faarigh ho jata. Liken kya karun? Us par ghussa nahi aata zyada waqt ke liye, wo jitna bhi khapaye. Mene poori koshish ki ghussa karne hi, nahi hua mere se."

Farjaad sighed, remembering the events from the day, her stubbornness, her arguing with him at any given chance. Their tastes were awfully different, it was evident.

Yet he was not as annoyed as he was at that moment. In fact, he was kind of okay. He brushed past it all, did not mind that she disagreed with him. If anything, he was smiling when recalling how she was insulting his input. How she was not giving up till she got her say. It was endearing.

Farjaad's eyes began closing to the thought of a woman who made his head hurt and heart pace, his cat cuddled besides him and a faint smile on his lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 371 18
Hi guys! This is me trying to pen down my ideas related to these two hope you like it!
7.2K 294 15
Overview- Farjaad and umeed are poles apart..Farjaad is calm,serious and a passionate business man jiske liye kaam ke alawa kuch matter nahi karta Wh...
131K 7.4K 49
Waleed Asad Bukhari is the ultimate workaholic. With a flourishing tech company to look after, he doesn't have the time or interest for a life outsid...
20.3K 1K 19
It's been a year and half since Farjaad and Umeed have seen each other. The last time being the day they broke off their engagement. Umeed's father d...