The Adventures of Soap Boy

By Clash_Bluelight

An orphan boy strikes out into the world to become a hero after a strange event grants him superhuman abiliti... More

Part 1: The Cataclysm
Part 2: The Streets of Caracas
Part 3: Abduction
Part 4: Real Power
Part 6: Healing
Part 7: The Camp
Part 8: Rescue
Part 9: Company
Part 10 Aspis VS Aguante
Part 11 A Decision
Part 12 The Assault
Part 13 Soap Boy
Part 14 Aloe Vera

Part 5: Survival

0 0 0
By Clash_Bluelight

Once again, I was all alone. Even my kidnappers didn't want me. If only I had gotten a better power. Like Aspis' shields, or Boulder Breaker's explosions, or... Well never mind that. My power sucked, and that was why I was alone. That was the point.

At least I had my bag. From what I'd heard inside the base, the camp was a good few kilometers away. Probably a week's journey or more for a child on foot. Without food and supplies, this walk would be a death sentence. Rather than waste the remaining daylight, I began to walk. Leaving behind the last vestiges of my nation's government in the process.

I understood that this was a mercy. Good powers were needed on the front lines for the last stand. Good men too. But I wasn't a man nor did I have a good power, so I would be spared the worst of the fighting. I was taking a direct path through the woods because it meant I wouldn't be found until I arrived at the refugee camp, which was protected from the war.

I understood all of that, but it still hurt. My parents left me, and now my nation left me. I wanted nothing more than to show up on a battlefield and save the day. Like a real hero. But that may never happen due to the hand I was dealt.

Sure, I could help people, but when push came to shove, and bad guys attacked, I'd be running away with the normal people. That's not a hero, that's just a regular guy. I couldn't just be a regular person. Not after all I had been through. That just wasn't what I wanted to be. I wanted to be like the Bolt. If I cowered away from a fight this small, how could I ever expect to stand up to people like the Big Boss Boy, Dingo, or Malcolm Ringer?

As if proving my point about my patheticness, I only made it about a hundred meters before I had to stop and take a rest. It didn't help that I was steaming mad. If I kept raging all the way through the forest, I would never make any progress, so I decided to just focus on the task at hand.

I got back up, and continued my trek through the woods. It took me several hours, but I could no longer hear the gunfights happening back at the fort. Deciding I was far enough out to be safe, I chose to set up my camp for the night.

I started to set up camp in a small clearing. I pulled out my camp stove and filled it with alcohol from my finger. After lighting it, I pulled a can of stew out of the bag and opened it using a small can opener. I peeled the label off of the can and placed it on the stove. Then, I got to work putting up my tent. I had been told how to put up the tent by my father on our camping trip around a year ago, but the process only really clicked when I was left to survive in the streets recently. Now I was very experienced, and it showed. The tent was up in under a minute.

Since the stew wasn't even warm yet, I decided to move onto security. The clearing I'd chosen was surrounded by a thick wall of trees and bushes on most sides. There were only two entrances. I took out a string from my bag, and placed used cans along its length. I then strung it up between two trees to act as a noise alarm. Once satisfied, I pulled a piece of wood with nails in it out of the bag's side pocket. I went to the other entrance, and buried the plank underneath the leaves that coated the ground. I concluded that the plank was invisible, and returned to my camp.

By that point, the stew was done cooking, so I used a cloth to grab the can and smothered the stove. I still had to wait a minute until it was cool enough to eat, so I did a once over on the rest of my setup. Satisfied, I returned to my dinner. I ate my stew, and went to sleep.

In the morning, I woke up bright and early. I took down and put away every component of the camp, except for the security measures. Normally, that was when I would take my morning shower, but after checking, I didn't have enough water to spare. I took down the security measures, and decided that the day's focus would be refilling my water supply.

I walked around the woods for an hour as the sun slowly crested the horizon. The mornings were actually starting to get pretty cold, and walking outdoors definitely wasn't helping. I would need to start lighting campfires when I set up camp. I stopped walking when I came across a small stream.

I pulled out a collapsable black water jug with a hose on the end, and filled it with water. I sat the jug on a rock in the sunlight, and proceeded to fill my other vessels in the stream. Once I was done with that, I grabbed the now lukewarm jug, and hung it from the highest branch I could reach. I turned a spigot and water began to slowly pour out of the short hose. I took a quick shower, and used the remaining water to briefly wash my clothes. I hung the clothes to dry as I donned new clothing.

Once the jug was fully empty, I collapsed it down and placed it back in the bag. Since the clothes would still have to hang for a while before they were fully dry, I decided to pull out a book. I chose one of the military field manuals I borrowed at the base, and began reading.

If I wasn't moving, I had to keep studying. After all, if my power wasn't gonna make me into a hero, I would have to do it the way the Blue Bolt did. By being smart enough to make up for my lack of powers.

I read a few chapters, and the clothes finished drying. I folded them, placed them into the bag, and continued on my journey. With the bag now full of water bottles, it was getting uncomfortably heavy, but I would have to deal with it. I had no idea when the next body of water would show up.

I continued that pattern for another week, and then I ran into a problem. My food supplies were starting to dwindle. Even if I lowered my consumption to only one meal per day, I wouldn't last another week. From the map I had in one of my books, I estimated that I was less than halfway to the location of the camp. Picking up the pace now would only run me out of food faster.

Left with no other choice, I decided to slow down in order to focus on foraging. I pulled out the survival handbook, and skimmed the chapter on foraging until I found the section on South American plants. Luckily, due to the mild climate, Most of our edibles were available year round.

I scanned the area for a pretty long time, but I eventually found what I was looking for. A pitanga tree. I pulled out one of my now empty bean containers, and managed to fill it completely off of the tree. While I was at it, I removed some of the leaves, as the manual said they could be used as a bug repellant.

Knowing these were wild pitanga, I wasn't looking forward to eating them, but I'd have to in order to make it. Since I had already used up most of the day hunting down food, I set up camp. Before settling in, I managed to find some more edible plants, and made a salad for dinner. It was absolutely disgusting, but I ate it anyway.

In the morning, I grabbed a handful of pitanga to eat while on the move, and left the tree. They were exactly as bitter as I thought they'd be. I spent the following week surviving mostly off of foraging, but only making about half as much progress as a result. That ended when I heard the muffled sounds of explosions from very far behind me. That one was loud enough to be heard from this far out.

A cold sensation washed over me as I realized. That was the sound of the base being blown up. Almost certainly the work of Boulder Breaker. If that were true, then my people may have just lost the war. I had to start moving a bit faster. I didn't know if the refugee camp would be moved or dissolved after the end of the war. If I arrived and there wasn't a camp, I wouldn't know what to do.

I quickened my pace, and started relying on my food reserves again. I also stopped being quite so careful in where or how I set up camp. Being far more concerned about making progress. Each day, I had less and less to eat. Less and less energy. I recognized the feeling, of course. I was starving to death. Just like when I was home alone, I could feel myself dwindling. I was withering away. Simply walking felt like climbing a mountain, but I had to keep going. The camp couldn't be far, or so I kept telling myself.

In my haste, I had failed to take down many of my campsites. Once I got my tent, I was ready to leave in the morning. Assuming I survived this ordeal, I would come back and pick up my litter later.

Finally, six days after the explosion, I arrived at the edge of the forest. I could see the refugee camp. It hadn't been moved. I ran to the camp, and collapsed to my knees in exhaustion upon finally reaching my goal. People rapidly gathered around the starved-looking new arrival, but I couldn't get so much as a word out to them. The last several weeks worth of aches, pains, fatigue, and hunger rushed back into me all at once, and I passed out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

461 167 10
"I was unprepared when I woke up in an unknown world." Once, there was a kingdom forged in prosperity. Reigning at the top of its glory drew peace an...
900 37 27
Connor Hunter's life was as normal as everything was. He attended school regularly with his two best friends. He had average scores which for a guy o...
518 289 21
The world was pulverized, left to little to nothing leaving our group to navigate through monsters, fights and now superpowers-wait I think we're get...
6 7 11
Eleanor, longing to escape her loneliness, embarks on a mesmerizing adventure into a mysterious realm filled with magic. Burdened with unanswered que...