Second - The Selection x HP/HL

By Zephyyross

He was destined for a wand She was destined for a crown In a dystopian future, a King and a Queen had four so... More

Main characters
π‘¨π’Žπ’‚π’“π’‚

3 0 0
By Zephyyross

The feeling I felt was indescribable. His soft hands in mine, his strong arms gently leading my body through the waltz, his fingertips burning on my back. The ballroom was fully decorated and the dimmed lights gave the room a magical feeling. A spotlight followed us while we danced the night away in front of the whole royal court, the orchestra filling the room with the most beautiful music I had ever heard.

As I looked up, I looked into his mesmerizing hazel eyes. His brown hair that was usually on the messier side, was impeccable. His dark blue - almost black, tailored suit made him tall, lean, and yet incredibly muscular. I could feel them beneath my fingers on his arm. I suddenly wondered when he had the time to work out in the gym, along with all his duties and responsibilities.

My hand rested on his chest, feeling every muscle through the several layers of fabric. His sweet and earthy cologne lingered in my nose and it made me feel like I was floating. His hands were on my waist as he twirled me around, my gaze fixed on his gorgeous face. I must have been dreaming. I was wearing a dress that even my status as a Two couldn't afford, dancing in a huge ballroom with my Prince Charming. In that  dark blue blue dress, almost as dark as the night, I was sure I could outshine Cinderella before the clock struck midnight. And the golden accents almost looked like stars that made the actual stars I could see through the ceiling-high windows fade away.

There was this huge, irresistable, maybe even magnetic pull to him. As if I had to oblige to everything he said or what he wanted me to do. In my head, I heard a sweet voice talking to me. The voice of the prince..

"Kiss me, my princess. Show them all you're mine.. And that I want to be yours.."

As I leaned in to kiss him, my eyes locked with his, noticing a hint of shining blue in his irises. Before I could ask or do something, I opened my eyes, realizing it all had been a dream.

I sighed deeply at the sight of my bedroom and turned to my side, watching the birds outside on my balcony. Ever since I had seen the prince arriving in Sarreillan from Scotland, I had fallen head over heels with him. He had been described by Ms. Mendler as 'nothing like that boy that left to study abroad.' Boy had she been right.

Ever since the prince had set foot in Sarreillan, many, many girls had been fantasizing and talking about the prince, who also turned out to be single. My socials were filled with tweets, messages and photos of the new crown prince, although I had to admit I wanted  to see him. I felt a crush for the prince as well. Not because he was a prince or good looking, although that most certainly didn't hurt. Ms. Mendler had also mentioned he had been grown up to be a wise nobleman, and that's what mostly caught my attention. Not as if he would ever see me. Sure, I might have had the biggest chance as a Two, but I couldn't imagine I would see the prince in my near future.

Although he had made a very curious choice for a pet.

In a lot of pictures of the prince that had been taken of him when he was off-duty, he was accompanied by a barn owl. I found it fascinating, as it appeared the owl was trained to deliver and bring mail. Where the heck did Florent manage to find an owl that could both be cuddled and delivered mail?

I sat up straight and climbed out of bed. I grabbed a light blue turtleneck and a black skirt from my wardrobe, with some panties and my slippers. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, dress myself and comb my hair. I put my hair in a simple ponytail before heading downstairs.

When I descended the stairs and walked into the hallway, my eyes fell on the doormat next to the front door. Along with the newspaper, there was an oddly coloured envelope lying on the floor. I picked up the mail and took grasp of the envelope. It was addressed to the Cortez household and it felt way different than any other envelope I had ever touched in my life. It felt light, airy, and expensive, as if little strands of gold were woven into the paper. I flipped over the envelope and recognized the royal family sign on the wax seal. I gasped. This was from the royal family?!

I took the mail to the living room and dumped the rest of it on the kitchen counter. I even ignored my fathers 'good morning, have you slept well, pumpkin?'. I broke the wax seal and opened the envelope. I took out the letter and the writing was impeccable. Was it even possible for someone to write that gorgeous?

My eyes read the letter, feeling my heart flutter on the more I read, missing my father trying to get my attention.

'To the Cortez family,

Recent census confirmed an eligible woman between the ages of 16 and 20 is currently residing at this address. We would like to make you aware of an opportunity to honor and serve the kingdom of Sarreillan.

In wake of the death of our beloved prince Dinant, may he rest in peace, our second eldest son, prince Florent d'Alègre, will step up to being the crown prince and your future King. As he takes on this new phase in his life, he wishes to take this chapter on with a life partner, his true love and his bride. If your eligible daughter, sister or charge is interested in possibly becoming the bride of prince Florent and the next Sarreillan princess, please fill out the enclosed form and return it to your local Province Services Office. One woman from each province will be drawn at random to meet the prince.

Participants will be housed at the Sarreillan Palace in Montparnasse for the duration of their stay. As a gesture for serving the Sarreillan crown, families of the participants will be generously compensated for each week the participant will stay at the palace.

Please hand in your application before the 1st of July. The participants will be announced at the Weekly Report, airing on SNC1 on Friday, July 6th at 20.00 PM.

For further questions regarding the application, please contact your local Province Services Office or the Province Services Office helpline.

Thank you for your attention.

On behalf of His Majesty King Cedric, Her Majesty Queen Julia and His Royal Highness Prince Florent.

Isla James
Head of Household, Public and Royal Relations.'

I tried not to scream. Prince Florent was looking for a wife and I was seriously considered as an option? Before I could react, I suddenly heard my fathers voice.

"Do you have a secret admirer, pumpkin? I haven't seen you in such state in quite a while." My father asked with his smiling eyes behind his glasses.

I sighed, still fawning over the prince. "This just came from the palace. The prince is looking for a wife and I-"

Before I could respond, Rosalina snatched the letter out of my hands and started reading it. I felt on edge. Especially when Rosalina started to frown.

"Could I have that back please?" I asked while I resisted the urge to smack her face.

She looked at me with a judging look, as if I was seriously considering this. "Do you really think you could be the next princess and Queen? Girl, you could as well be a One and still not have a chance with him."

I fiddled with my fingers, suddenly very aware of my surroundings. What if I wanted this? "I- I could be, and of course I would have to learn, but-"

Rosalina started to laugh. I felt my cheeks turn red. Was I being delusional for wanting to have a shot at the prince's hand?

"Girl, stop dreaming. This letter has been sent out to every girl between the ages of 16 and 20 years old. Do you really think you would have a chance? Because if you do, forget it."

It made me angry while silence filled the kitchen. Why was she so cruel and why did she try to talk me down like that? I knew I wasn't special, but what if the prince was looking for someone who wasn't special.

And yet I knew that was not true. Of course the prince was looking for someone special. He needed the perfect woman who was a great leader, a charismatic hostess, and a caring mother for his children. I was the total opposite of all that. Maybe I could be a caring mother, but I was just 17 years old. How was I supposed to know if I ever wanted children?

My father interrupted the awkward silence between me and Rosalina as he took the letter over from her. "Rose.. If I hadn't dreamed of what I wanted, we would never have met each other. If Amara wants to take on this adventure, how minor her chances may be, we should at least give her the opportunity to do so."

I looked at my father and started to smile. I stretched out my arms to hug him while Rosalina rolled her eyes and settled herself in front of the tv.

My gaze turned back to my father while I wrapped my arms around him. Regardless of Rosalina thought, my father would always support me. He was the only one I could count on. No matter how crazy my ideas or wishes were.

"Are you sure you want to do this, pumpkin? She is right.. Probably thousands of girls will want to participate and how many are allowed to compete?" he asked.

I took the letter out of his hands and skimmed over the words, trying to find the answer. "One woman from each province," I answered.

My father sighed. "One from each province, and there are 35 of them. So 35 girls out of the ten thousands that will fill out an application form. Are you sure you are willing to take up on that? Even though the chances are almost none?"

Almost. That's what gave me hope. My chances were not zero, none, nada. I had a chance. It was just not a big one. And I couldn't mind it. If it was meant to be, I would be picked.

As soon as Rosalina had left for her weekly spa treatment, my father and I sat at the dinner table with the application form in front of me. Several questions were easy, such as name, height and age, but there were several where I wasn't sure what to put in. I spoke English and a bit of Spanish, but I put in I also wanted to master Italian, Chinese and sign language. Maybe the prince admired someone who was wanting to learn. For a second I wanted to fill in I wanted to learn Scottish or Gaelic as well, but I didn't feel comfortable lying.

Most of all, if this was going to work out: I wanted a real relationship. I didn't want a relationship that was based off lies. I wanted a man with whom I could be honest and where I didn't have to change who I was in order to fit in the perfect picture. I sighed. I knew I soon wasn't able to express myself in the way I was able to do now, but I was sure I could be myself with the prince. I couldn't imagine the prince didn't know how to relax and sit back on a couch with a bag of potato chips.

I mean, I couldn't imagine he would be up late every night to study in his dorm in Scotland, right?

Somehow, I could imagine it. Every time I looked at the prince, everything about his demeanor said he was a wise and noble man. As if he had seen everything there was to see about the world. His hazel eyes I had seen in my dreams, which that small hint of blue.. It haunted me, but in a good way. I couldn't stop thinking about it. 

"What's wrong Pumpkin? Having second thoughts?" my father asked, shaking me awake from my daydreams. I sat up a bit straighter and looked at my fathers gray eyes.

"Do you think it could work out? I mean, if I get picked and get that chance to live at the palace?" I asked bluntly. "I know we're Two's, but we were Fives before and what if I don't like him at all? What if I'm not capable of being a princess?"

My father thought  for a second before answering my question. "I wouldn't mind a prince for a son-in-law, as long as he takes care and loves you. I don't want my only daughter to marry someone who can't take care of her."

My father took my hand before and gently rubbed it. If the prince wouldn't love me, I knew my father always would. "I think you're capable of doing anything you set your mind and heart to. You know you have to work for it, but I think Sarreillan would be extremely lucky to have you as a princess."

I let out a small smile. "That's such a sentimental answer," I answered back before my smile grew wider. "Thank you dad.."

It was reassuring he supported my decision to try to win the prince's hand. Very different from Rosalina who thought I was delusional for even wanting to try. Both her and my father got their chance at a better life. I liked to think this one could be mine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

495K 16.1K 123
π—§π—›π—œπ—¦ π—œπ—¦π—‘'𝗧 𝗠𝗬 π—‘π—’π—©π—˜π—Ÿ. π—œ π—’π—‘π—Ÿπ—¬ π—£π—’π—¦π—§π—˜π—— π—œπ—§ 𝗙𝗒π—₯ π—’π—‘π—Ÿπ—œπ—‘π—˜ π—₯π—˜π—”π——π—œπ—‘π—š 𝗣𝗨π—₯π—£π—’π—¦π—˜. π—”π—Ÿπ—¦π—’ 𝗑𝗒𝗧 𝗠𝗬 𝗧π—₯𝗔𝗑𝗦�...
437K 18.2K 123
SYPNOSIS Reading Purifying Love made Rachelle D'magiba feel very insulted. The ending that the author had written didn't go well with her expectation...
38.6K 1.2K 59
"mom, dad, Im married!" lahat ng relatives namin ay nagulat sa announcment ko. Sino ba naman kasi ang mag aakala na ang unica ija ng pamilyang Letpr...