𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗜'𝗹𝗹 𝗗𝗼...

By Madsobrine

In which two co-workers find peace and comfort in one another. "These people are the best part of me." Trigg... More

𝘼𝙘𝙩 𝙞
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗢𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗼
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙎𝙞𝙭
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗡𝗶𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗹𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗹𝘃𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝗶𝘅𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝙰𝚌𝚝 𝙸𝙸, 𝙳𝚊𝚢𝚕𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝘁 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗡𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗢𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝘄𝗼
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙁𝙤𝙪𝙧
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙁𝙞𝙫𝙚
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙎𝙞𝙭
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙎𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙀𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝙉𝙞𝙣𝙚
𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝙊𝙣𝙚
𝖠𝖼𝗍 𝖨𝖨𝖨.𝘾𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙔𝙤𝙪
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝙏𝙬𝙤
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗶𝘅
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗡𝗶𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆
𝙒𝙚𝙙𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝘼𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙘
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗢𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝘄𝗼
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗿
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗶𝘅
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗦𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻
𝘈𝘤𝘵 𝘐𝘝. 𝘐 𝘢𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘴
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗡𝗶𝗻𝗲
𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝗳𝘁𝘆

𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲

2.2K 97 14
By Madsobrine

"𝘐𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘵𝘩𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺,𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘵𝘩𝘺 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘺𝘰𝘶."

𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘥 4𝘹10
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"𝙊𝙠𝙖𝙮, 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙞 𝙥𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙖𝙠𝙚𝙨 and scrambled eggs." Savanna set a plate in front of Chris.

"Where, is Sabrina?" Savanna looked at Eddie who was digging around in the drawer.

"She said she didn't feel good. Do you know where the thermometer is?" Eddie asked still digging in the kitchen drawer.

"It's in the basket under the bathroom sink," Savanna told him and he instantly rushed off.

"I'll be right back." Savanna ruffled Chris's hair before walking to Sabrina's room.

This would be the tenth day of school Sabrina had missed in the past six weeks, at first Savanna chalked it up to stress but maybe it's something deeper.

The room was almost pitch black and Sabrina was wrapped tightly in the blanket. "Brina," Savana spoke quietly sitting on the side of the bed, Sabrina opened her eyes looking at Savanna slightly teary-eyed.

"Brain what's wrong?" Savanna placed the back of her hand on Sabrina's forehead.

"I'm just tired," Sabrina whispered trying to keep her voice stable.

Savanna frowned, "I'll call the school." Savanna got up and met Eddie at the door.

"She's not sick," Savanna told him softly shutting the door.

"Well, then she needs to go to school, she can't miss eleven days." Eddie shook his head going to open the bedroom door.

"Eddie, she's tired, missing a day won't kill her." Savanna stepped in front of the door stopping Eddie.

"We all get tired doesn't mean she gets to miss school it's important." Eddie argued with a frowned.

"Eddie, school is not more important than her mental health! She's not going." Savanna argued.

"Fine." Eddie sighed walking away.

• • •

A young boy dressed in overalls met the firefights in the front so he could lead them to his mother who was in their backyard. "I was jumping on the trampoline, and a spring flew off." He pointed to a woman pinned to a door with trampoline spring.

"And it almost killed me." The woman, Beth, spoke.

"All right, let's see what we got. Looks like she's pinned to the wall in two places." Bobby observed the spring in her hand and hip.

"Ma'am, don't move. Any movement could cause that spring to shift, and that would not be good." Savanna told her as she examined the spring in her hip Hen examined the one in her hand.

"Must've been traveling at top speed. Put a hole right through her hand. And her torso." Eddie spoke and Beth groaned in pain.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Her son asked worried.

"Give us some space. We're gonna take real good care of your mom, I promise." Bobby ushered the kid back.

"Can you move your fingers?" Hen asked Beth.

"I think so." Beth began to wiggle her fingers.

"Good, means the spring likely missed the tendon. No nerve damage." Hen told her.

"Oh, thank God. It's my selfie hand." She sighed in relief.

"Pulse is slightly elevated, but BP's normal. Miraculously, she's stable." Savanna announced taking the blood pressure cuff off of Beth, "Getting bilateral breath sounds. Spring likely didn't puncture her lungs, but it's probably millimeters away from her spine. I can pack the wound, but I don't know how to detach her from the door." Savanna told Hen.

"We don't. Transport her with it, donkey and all. Where's Buck?" They all looked around for Buck who was showing the saw off to the kids.

"Buck! We need that saw." Bobby yelled and Buck began rushing over.

"You went really hard-core with this party design," Hen commented.

"It's my job. Literally. I run a mommy blog. I spent months planning this thing, trying to make it perfect, and my kid hates me for it." Beth confessed.

"He doesn't hate you. He's just 12. He'll get over it." Savanna smiled at Beth.

"Feels like no matter what I do, it's wrong." She sighed.

"You did a great job constructing the shed. Quality work." Buck tried to make her feel better.

"It was from a kit. I didn't even pick it out. A sponsor sent it." She closed her eyes for a moment.

"Well, at least you have help taking it down." Eddie shrugged as Buck began cutting the door off its hinges.

"Okay, so, phase one was a success, but there's no way we get her in this door in the ambulance. We got to call for a flatbed." Eddie looked at Bobby.

"We got a penetrating trauma. we can't wait." Savanna spoke up.

"Got any other options?" Buck asked.

The hose bed was the other option so Savanna and Eddie rode on top of the truck with Beth neither speaking to each other due to Eddie still being upset about Savana not making Sabrina go to school.

• • •

"Are you okay?" Savanna knocked on Sabrina's open door.

The brunette girl looked at Savanna and gave her a small nod, "Yeah, yeah, I just- I don't know." Sabrina sighed her shoulder slumping, her head dropped and her shoulder began to shake.

"Hey, hey, hey, what's wrong?" Savanna rushed over to Sabrina.

"I-I don't know." Sabrina sobbed, Savanna looked at her daughter in worry.

"I-I'm just so tired, all of the time and I feel like I'm suffocating." Sabrina barely got the words out she began to gasp for air clutching at her chest.

"Sabrina," Savanna spoke.

"I-I-c-i can't -"

"Hey, Hey, look at me." Savanna grabbed Sabrina's shoulders.

"You're having a panic attack," Savanna spoke softly her heart breaking as she watched tears streak down Sabrina's face.

"Name five things you see," Savanna demanded.

"Wha-"

"Just do it." Sabrina's eyes glanced around her room.

"M-my shoes, t-the rug, lamp, window, you." Sabrina's voice shook her breathing calming down slightly but not enough.

"Four sounds," Savanna told her.

"Chris, t-t-the TV, barking, cars."

"Three things you can touch."

"My jeans, the bed, my hair." Savanna smiled at Sabrina who was calming down.

"Good, two smells."

"Y-your perfume and dinner."

"One thing you can taste."

"salt." Savanna whipped the tears falling down Sabrina's face.

"You did, good." She smiled sadly at her.

"How, how did you do that?" Sabrina frowned.

"I've had a few of my own and have seen a lot of them. They can be terrifying." Savanna told her softly.

"I thought I was going to die," Sabrina admitted her fist still slightly clenched.

"They'll do that to you. Sabrina, do you know if your family has a history of depression?" Savana asked.

"I-I don't."

Savanna nodded, "I would like to get you evaluated if you'd be okay with that?" Savanna squeezed Sabrina's hand.

"I think that might be a good idea." Sabrina nodded.

"I'll call to make you an appointment. Have you eaten today?" Savanna looked at her.

"I'm not hungry," Sabrina whispered.

"You have to eat something even if it's something small like soup, please." Sabrina looked at Savana for a moment before nodding.

"What sounds good?" Savanna asked.

"Ramen noddles?" Sabrina smiled a little.

"coming right up." Savanna kissed her head and left her room pausing when she saw Eddie leaning against the wall outside of the room.

"How long have you been here?" Savanna asked moving towards the kitchen with Eddie following her.

"Long enough," Eddie whispered.

Savanna looked at her husband regret in his eyes, "You were right about not sending her to school." Eddie admitted.

"I'm going to make her a doctor's appointment, should I schedule so both of us can go?"

"Of course I want to go Savanna." Eddie looked at the blonde who put the bowl of noodles in the microwave.

• • •

"Oh, she is adorable." Savanna grinned at the picture of Jee-Yun.

"That's the first time she smiled." Chimney smiled proudly.

"Sure that's a smile? That's the same face Buck makes when he's gassy." Eddie joked.

"I will take that as a compliment, 'cause it just means she looks like her Uncle Buck." Buck pointed out.

"God, I love her so much. I don't even feel like the same person anymore. Is that weird?" Chimney asked looking around.

"What's that saying? Having a kid is like walking around with your heart outside your body." Bobby spoke sliding a cup of coffee towards Chimney.

"Okay, that's weirder. And morbid." Chimney frowned. 

Savanna laughed, "Just means it's a whole different kind of love. And it's true," Savanna smiled, "How's Maddie doing?" she then asked.

"First solo shift with the baby. Babies. Plural. She's pulling double duty. Albert and Jee-Yun." Chimney spoke frowning.

"Offer still stands, you know, He can come back to my place. " Buck spoke sipping his coffee.

"He needs round-the-clock care. He can't be on his own for a whole 24 hours. With the new schedule, one of us is always home." Chimney told them.

"If you and Maddie are working opposite schedules, when do you actually see each other?" Eddie asked.

"Haven't quite figured that out yet." Chim sighed.

"Oh, uh, she-she's coming," Buck announced seeing Hen reach the top of the stairs with a cake box.

" So, uh, yeah. The doctor said Albert's physical therapy is going great."

"Welcome back!" Hen sang approaching the counter with a cake.

"Hey! I was just filling them in on Albert's recovery." Chim smiled at his partner.

"I am disappointed in you guys. Where's the banner? Where's the balloons? This is not how we do when somebody comes back to work." Hen looked at all of them disapprovingly.

"I said it was okay. I don't need that kind of stuff." Chimney told her.

Hen wasn't handling having to give Nia back to her birth mother very well and the last thing Chimney wanted to do was rub in his baby when she just had to give up one of hers.

"Not when, uh... No, no, no, no. We celebrate every good moment. When we can, now, let me see these baby pictures." Hen demanded smiling.

"Okay." Chim laughs in relief and getting excited to show off his daughter before opening his phone.

" Oh, my God, she's so big already." Hen smiled at the photo.

"Yeah. They grow up fast." Chim mumbled earning laughs and shakes of the head from Bobby and Eddie.

• • •

The call was in a residential area in front of a house. "All right, let's see what we got here," Chim spoke as the three paramedics got out of the ambulance all of their eyes landing on the young man lying on the ground conscious and breathing.

"Got a compound tib-fib fracture to the right leg. It's pretty nasty. Got some bone hanging out." Hen spoke feeling the Connors legs. 

"Sir, can you feel when I do this?" Hen asked pushing on his leg.

"Oh, God. Yeah, yeah." He tried to lift his head but Savanna pushed him back down still unsure of a spinal injury.

"Good. Then his pedal pulse is strong, which means he's still got blood flowing." Hen told them.

"PERRLA response is good. Pupils are equal and reactive." Savanna spoke after her.

"All right, sir, I'm gonna give you something to help with the pain, but you have to try and stay still. After a fall like that, we can't rule out spinal injury." Savanna pushed his head back down once again when he tried to move it.

"This is all your fault." Trish the home owner spoke from beside them.

"I wasn't the one climbing up the trellis like some two-bit cat burglar." her husband frowned.

"It's 'cause you kicked me out. Okay? It was either sneak in or sleep in my car." Connor groaned.

"You had plenty of other options. Like... I don't know... Get a job, pay rent." his father scolded.

"You don't need rent! You're rich!" Connor yelled.

"It's called hard work paying off." His father shot back.

"Will you stop being so hard on him? He's just going through a quarter-life crisis." Trish scolded her husband.

Harv sighed waving her off, "That's a load of..."

"That's a real thing. I've been there." Buck spoke up.

"Not the time buck," Savanna whispered to him and he nodded.

"You need to stop enabling him. You want to be the good cop, so you always make me the bad cop. I'm sick of it." Harv turned to Trish.

"Can't you both be good cops?" Chim asked.

"No."

"No."

"No."

"No." Harv, Trish, Eddie, and Savanna all spoke simultaneously. Bobby raised an eyebrow at Savanna and Eddie.

"Let's get him on a backboard." Savanna ignored Bobby's look.

Buck and Eddie move the backboard toward the patient. "But does tough love actually work, or does it just make your kid hate you?" Chim asked.

"Some kids need discipline," Hen told him.

"But not too much." Buck countered as they moved Connor onto the backboard.

"I'm curious to know what your definition of 'too much discipline' is." Eddie raised an eyebrow at Buck.

"All right, one, two, three," Savanna spoke as they hoisted Connor onto the gunnery.

"Officers? I'd like you to arrest this man." Harv looked at Carter and Lucy.

"You want her to arrest your son?" Savanna looked at him in shock.

"they're related?" Lucy asked and Savanna nodded.

"We have a restraining order against him. He wouldn't leave. He was taking us for everything we got. I had to do something. Are you gonna arrest him?" The husband looked at the two officers expectingly.

"You might want to check this out first. Looks like the bolts have been snapped, real clean breaks. That's why the kid fell down." Bobby used his flashlight to point at the broken bolts, "Any idea how that happened?" he turned pointing the flashlights at the parents.

"Nope, no idea," Harv answered quickly.

"Well, you were up there a few days ago repairing it." Trish looked at him accusingly.

"What kind of repairs?" Carter asked moving closer to the parents with Lucy.

"Yeah. Just, uh, some basic stuff." Harv answered.

"It was fine the last time I broke in," Connor yelled from the gurney, Savanna wrapped the C-collar around his neck.

"See? That's what I'm talking about. He's been breaking in for weeks." Harv exclaimed pointing at his son,

"He needed to be taught a lesson." He crossed his arms almost smiling proudly.

"Are you saying that you knew your son was using the trellis, and you cut it intentionally to cause bodily harm?" Carter spoke deadpaning at the man.

"To your own flesh and blood," Trish yelled at her husband.

"You've coddled him too long, Trish. You need to decide whose side you're on." Harv told her, Trish crossed her arms and immediately walked over to the gurney her son was on.

Savanna let out an amused laugh, it was amazing how many people underestimate the love of a mother.

"Is he gonna be okay?" Trish asked the paramedics.

"Well, he'll need surgery, and it'll be a long recovery, but he'll make it." Chimney informed her.

"Don't worry, sweetheart. Mommy will take care of you." Trish grabbed her son's hand.

"Trish, you're making a mistake!" Harv yelled as Lucy led him into the backseat of their shop.

"You know what? Find a new place to live, Harv. I'm changing the locks." Trish screamed before climbing into the ambulance with her son.

• • •

Savanna and Eddie didn't get to go home and sleep after their shift, they had to take Sabrina to the doctor which was an emotional roller coaster, she was diagnosed with Anxiety and major depressive disorder her doctor prescribed her Prozac and buspirone and they would work from there.

Savanna let out a heavy sigh as she lay down, "I'm sorry." Eddie's voice made her eyes open, "You were right." Eddie sat down next to Savanna who opened her eyes to look at him.

"I'm not going to say I told you so," Savanna spoke frowning.

"I didn't expect you to." Eddie grabbed her hand admiring her wedding ring, he did good.

"What do we do? How do we fix this?" Eddie was worried about Sabrina he wanted to fix it but he didn't know how.

"We can't fix it, we can only manage it and be there for her." Savanna wrapped her hand around his squeezing it in reassurance.

Eddie nodded, "Lay down with me." Savanna demanded tugging on his arm, Eddie let her pull his weight down next to her and instantly wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you," Eddie whispered kissing her shoulder.

"I love you." Savanna smiled brightly at him.

• • •

Hen, Chimney, and Savanna were dispatched to an overdose call, "LAFD!" Chimney knocked on the door.

"Can I help you?" A middle-aged woman answered the door.

"LAFD, ma'am. We got a call about an оvеrdоsе?" Savanna spoke.

"You must have the wrong address." she shook her head.

"This is 4941 North Orchard Drive," Hen asked.

"Yes." The woman nodded.

"Dispatcher said they got a call from an Ellen Saxton?" Savanna told her.

"What? Uh, that's my mom." She told them leading them into the house and to one of the backrooms.

When they got there a woman sat on the bed she was practically skin and bones, "Finally." Ellen sighed.

"Mom, wh-what's wrong? Did you call 911? Are you okay?" her daughter asked frantically.

"I'm dying, Julia. Cancer. Also, I may have taken something to... speed up the dying process." Ellen admitted Savanna's eyes widened as the three paramedics rushed over to her.

"Oh, my God, Mama. Are you crazy?" Julia cried.

"Ma'am, what did you take?" Savanna asked watching as Hen and the daughter looked at the pills sitting on the nightstand.

"I'm not telling. And I'm not crazy. I still have all of my mental faculties. But not for long." She told Savanna.

"Cancer's spreading. It's in my brain, baby, and I am not sticking around for that." Ellen looked at her daughter who was crying.

"Blood pressure's 80/40. She's in the danger zone." Chimney announced as he finished taking her blood pressure.

"Looks like an opioid оvеrdоsе. Prepping naloxone." Savanna grabbed the overdose kit.

"That won't be necessary. Or legal." Ellen looked at a piece of paper on her other nightstand next to Savanna who grabbed it and quickly read it.

"It's a do-not-resuscitate order," Savanna told them.

"With signed verification from my doctor. No lifesaving measures, no medical intervention. It's all there. Advanced directives." Ellen looked at Savanna who held in a sigh.

"Don't listen to her. D-Do whatever you have to do to save her!" Julia screamed at them tears running down her face.

"No. You can't save me. Just... delaying the inevitable." Ellen cut off her daughter.

"Why the hell did you call 911 if you didn't want help?" Julia cried.

"I called them for you. So you wouldn't be alone when I go." Savanna bit back tears as he eyes meet Hen and Chimneys.

"Mom," Julia sat on the bed next to her mother, "if you don't want me to be alone, don't do this. We don't know how much time you have left. It could be months. I don't care if you're sick. I want that time with you. I want all the time I can get." Julia's voice broke as she pleaded with her mom.

"This isn't living. It's suffering. And I'm not talking about me. I see what this is doing to you, and...I don't want to do it anymore." Ellen shook her head.

"Legally, aren't we obligated to render aid at this point? We-we can't just stand here and let her..." Hen looked at her partners.

"The DNR is clear. Legally, we shouldn't do anything. I-I'm sorry, our hands are tied." Savanna apologized looking at Julia.

"Fine. You can't do it. I will." Julia grabbed the box Savanna had.

"No. No, no." Ellen grabbed her hand stopping her.

"You gave up your entire life to take care of me. Well, now it's time for me to give it back." Ellen told her.

"I can't." Julia began but her mother hushed her.

"Shh. I'm not leaving you. I am setting you free. When you have your own kids, you'll understand." Ellen smiled at her daughter.

"Mama, please. I love you." Julia cried.

"Oh, I love you, too."  Savanna took a deep breath watching as Ellen's eyes closed. Julia stared blankly at her mother both of their hands still intertwined.

"Julia, I think she stopped breathing." Hen's voice broke the deafening silence, "Is it okay if I check?" She then asked.

Julia nodded tears streaming down her face. Hen unzipped her bag and grabbed her stethoscope before checking Ellen for a heartbeat.

Hen's eyes meet Savanna and Chimney's giving them a shake of the head, "Chim, can you confirm?" Hen asked and the man nodded moving the confirm.

"I'm gonna call it in, outside," Chim told them earning a nod from the other two paramedics.

"What do I do?" Julia asked her eyes glued to her mother.

"Take her with you, and move on." Hen placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Savanna's heart was heavy as they got back from the last got back from the last call. "Hey, you guys are back! How was it?" Buck greeted them, and they all looked at him, "Oh, sorry for asking." Buck smiled apologetically knowing what those looks meant.

"You okay?" Eddie's hand skimmed Savanna's back.

"Yeah, I'm okay just a rough one." Savanna shivered from his touch.

"Excuse me." A voice made all of the firefighters turn to see an older woman approach them.

"Hi, can we help you with something?" Buck smiled at her.

"I'm looking for someone, her name is Savanna."

Savanna smiled, "That would be me, how can I help you?" Savanna spoke waving at the woman.

"Hi, uh my name is Kennedy, I think you know my daughter and husband." The 118 looked at the woman confused.

"I'm sorry?" Savanna asked confused.

"Nichole and Tony." Savanna's smile instantly dropped.

"What are you doing here." Buck asked crossing his arms.

"Can we talk," Kennedy asked looking at the blonde women surrounded by firefighters.

Savanna was silent analyzing the woman, "Sure, we can talk upstairs, but he comes." Savanna tilted her head towards Eddie.

Kennedy looked at the former soldier nervously, "Okay." She nodded waiting for Savanna to lead the way which she did the eyes of her family burning into the back of Kennedy's head.

Savanna looked at Kennedy who sat on the other side of the table from her and Eddie, "What can I do for you?" Savanna asked.

"I– I just wanted to come meet you Nichole's been talking about you and your brother for weeks now." Savanna nodded staring at the women unimpressed.

"Does Tony know you're here?" Savanna asked twisting the ring on her finger.

"No, he uh actually didn't even want me to come he's doesn't want to upset you guys," Kennedy told her.

Savanna let out a loud scoff, "Can't upset someone who doesn't care. What do you want Kennedy." Savanna cut to the point.

"Nichole wants a relationship with you guys and so does your father."

"That man is not my father." Savanna cut her off.

Kennedy smiled in disbelief, "Of course he is, he made you, he raised you." Kennedy told her.

"That man abused and abandoned me! My father is in his office the man who cares, protects, and loves me even when I don't deserve it is downstairs, Tony may have had a part in creating me but in no way is he my father, he is just a man. You coming here is highly inappropriate, I'm sure Nichole is a lovely girl really and I hope she gets everything we didn't out of that man but we aren't interested in reconnecting with Tony." Savanna spoke.

"You shouldn't blame Nichole for your father's mistakes, just as he doesn't blame you for what happened to your sister," Kennedy spoke.

Savanna shot up the chair she sat in, rage building inside her as the chair banged on the ground echoing through the firehouse, "Excuse you! What the fuck did you just say!" Savanna's voice boomed through the station.

"That man blamed me every second of every day for that fucking day, he beat me and degraded me because of it like I didn't almost die to like I didn't lose something too! Don't ever and I mean ever speak about that day or my sister because you don't know what happened you don't know her and you don't know me! You sure as hell don't know the man you married, leave and if either of you ever tries and contact my brother or me ever again I'll tell my mother you're in this town and all the lovely things you just said to me and I promise you she is ten times worse than I will ever be, ask tony he knows." Savanna's voice was venomous as she glared at Kennedy who was frozen looking at Savanna, whose whole body was tense, fist clenched at her side.

"Leave!" Savanna screamed when Kennedy didn't move. Kennedy broke from her spot instantly rushing away.

Eddie's hands encased Savana's clenched fist and he squeezed it, Savanna's shoulders instantly began to shake, and Eddie stood instantly pulling her into him. "Shh, it's okay." Eddie's fingers ran through her hair holding her as she cried into his shoulder.

"It's okay Mi amor, I've got you," Eddie whispered to her as her arms gripped his uniform tightly. If it wasn't illegal and if he wasn't raised with manners he would have decked Kennedy the second those foul words left her mouth.

• • •

Savanna stared blankly at the backyard, Chris was playing on the swing set, and Eddie, Buck, and Carter had built him and Nova was attempting to chase a squirrel.

Savanna jumped when a hand landed on her shoulder, "Oh, you scared me." Savanna relaxed seeing Bobby behind her.

"Sorry, Eddie let me in," Bobby told her as he sat on the patio swing next to her.

"It's okay, I was kinda in my little world." Savanna sent Bobby a smile, "What's going on?" Savanna asked sitting crisscross.

"I wanted to come to check in on you," Bobby told her smiling softly.

Savanna nodded her eyes falling on Chris who was about to go down the slide. "You heard?" Savanna asked.

"I heard," Bobby confirmed.

Savana nodded looking down at her nails and picking at them. "If I could switch places with her I would." Savanna admitted Bobby's eye snapped towards her, "Maybe it would have been easier, they would have moved on faster, Carter he would still have a happy family, it should have been me, not her." Savanna bit her lip to hold back tears.

"Don't ever say that." Bobby demanded, "You don't realize how important you are, a lot of us wouldn't be here without you Savanna, I wouldn't be here without you. The room changes when you walk in the air is lighter and the mood is happier the nickname sunshine wasn't given to you for no reason, you're our light even when it's pouring. What happened that day isn't your fault, it never has been and it never will be. You're my kid and I'm proud of you, I don't ever want to imagine a world without you." Bobby spoke firmly. A tear ran down Savanna's face as she looked at her father figure.

"Thank you for always standing with me and loving me." Savannas choked out as she hugged Bobby.

"Always." Bobby hugged her back. Robert Nash didn't get to see his son and daughter grow up and it hunts him every day, but he believed Brook and RJ sent him Savanna and Buck, and every day when he looks at the two he sees a small glimpse of what could have been his children.

• • •

Savanna was on breakfast duty the next morning, "Morning hijo!" Savanna kissed Chris's head as he crutched past her to the table.

"Morning Mom." Chris smiled sitting in his seat.

"Good Morning everyone."  Sabrina smiled coming into the kitchen.

Savanna smiled happy to see Sabrina somewhat back to herself, Savanna knew it would be a battle for the rest of Sabina's life she would have good and bad days and Savanna was ready to help Sabrina every step of the way.

"Good morning." Savanna laughed as she plated the breakfast tocas.

"Don't touch my hair." Sabrina hissed at Chris.

"I'm not touching it I'm touching around it." Chris shot back and Savanna bit back a laugh.

"Morning Mi Amor." Eddie walked in kissing Savanna's head ignoring the bickering siblings at the table.

"Morning pretty boy." Savanna greeted handing him two plates one for him and one for Chris.

"Mom! Dad! Tell Chris to stop or I'm taking his crutches!"  Sabrina threated.

"You can't steal from the disabled!" Chris shot back grinning.

Everyone's mouths dropped open at his comment, "Christopher." Eddie tried to scold him but ended up laughing.

"She can't!" Chris defended.

"I mean he's not wrong." Savanna shrugged setting Sabrina's plate in front of her.

"You guys are horrible people." Sabrina shook her head biting her tongue so she wouldn't laugh.

"But you love us." Eddie shot back biting into his taco.

"Yeah, Yeah." Sabrina grinned shaking her head.

Being a parent is a process of letting go. We struggle to see them as their own person, with their own voices and opinions...instead of just an extension of ourselves. It's not until you have kids of your own that you realize just how much parenthood changes you and your priorities. It becomes about your kids all the time. Sometimes that dedication isn't always a good thing. We put our kids first for so long, we can lose sight of ourselves. We live our lives for our children. Every single thing we do is for them, even the things that are hard for them to understand.  And sometimes a family is what you make it. You can be a biological parent to a child or a parent figure to many, guiding them and taking care of them, like any other parent. And if you're doing this whole parenthood thing right, it's your kid who's teaching you the life lessons, not the other way around.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 112 11
Kaitlyn "Kate" Buckley is Buck's twin sister. She was left with her parents when Maddie and Buck left to move and decided with their lives. After 22...
134K 3.1K 26
Buck is 9 when his sister leaves him and his family alone for her boyfriend Doug when she turns 18. Still at age 9, Buck realizes he's getting even l...
32.4K 1K 21
now i can't say goodbye if you stay here the whole night. evan buckley x female!oc © flurryfawns 2023 part one of the BURNOUT series.
565K 11.1K 63
In which a firefighter falls in love with her best friend. Or In which Evan Buckley finds the meaning of true love Cover by and graphics by Lamnt...