12 Roses

By InvisibleLantern

Toge Inumaki x [Female] Reader ••• You always believed that friendships could withstand lifetimes, but you di... More

0 | Prologue
1 | As They Always Do
2 | Dreams
3 | Names and Phone Numbers
4 | Sword Lilies
5 | The Art of Not Knowing
6 | Familiarity in Faces
7 | A Fragile Daisy
9 | Pretty like the Stars
10 | The Cabin
11 | Blood and Water
12 | Knee Deep in Snow
13 | An Old Lady's Smile
14 | Curses and Voices
15 | Little Pleasures
16 | The Sound of Laughter
17 | The Road of the Heartless
18 | Life at the Fingertips
19 | When the Moon Smiles

8 | Screaming a Bad Song

26 6 1
By InvisibleLantern

Loud shouting came from within Suguru's tattoo shop that made nearly the entire town go still.

No one dared to walk near or even outside of it. Nanako and Mimiko remained in your house, with Mimiko resting her head on your shoulder while Nanako kept her earbuds on, staring at her phone as if it was the only thing in the world.

You had once believed that Gojo came to visit, but no. It was Nurse Ieri.

She didn't shout one word. You had never heard of her shouting anyway in the three months you had been in school.

It was Suguru shouting, and it could be heard from many feet away from the tattoo shop.

Not that you knew that he was.

Nanako and Mimiko just showed up and said, "Suguru's mad."

"At you?"

"No... Someone showed up."

They sat with you behind the counter of the flower shop, as if hiding from whoever could enter. Suguru's tattoo shop was two blocks away and his shouts were not heard from your shop, but Nanako and Mimiko had never heard their father shout. It rang in their ears like a bad song that wouldn't stop saying the same words over and over.

Tsumiki came, opening the small door that separated the back of the counter from the rest of the shop. "Are you guys okay?" she asked aloud.

Mimiko nodded but Nanako said nothing, still blasting music into her ears.

Tsumiki sat in front of the three of you. She was saying words, likely comforting, but you didn't hear a single one. You knew she was a lot better at comforting than you were, but you were much better at physically taking care of people than she was.

She turned to you, smiling. "Why don't we pull out the karaoke?"

Ah, the only horror the two of you brought to the town.

You led the three of them to the living space above the flower shop, going to the living room and grabbing the remote to set it to karaoke while Tsumiki rummaged through a bin beneath the side table to find the microphones.

"Get ready for the worst singing you have ever heard," Tsumiki warned the twins.

"From Y/N?"

"Of course not," you interjected. "From Tsumiki."

You sat next to them, feeling the loud vibrations of the song beneath your feet as Tsumiki screeched the lyrics of What is Love?, the only American song that she could clearly say the lyrics of.

Mimiko cracked a smile while Nanako was quick to be on her back laughing.

Tsumiki handed the other mic to Nanako and soon enough, they were both screaming the lyrics of a song that they barely knew but it was next on the queue.

Mimiko finally began to laugh, clapping her hands to the beat of the song.

You could only imagine what passersby thought of the incessant noise. It had been around far too long to be annoyed at, but now other voices were added to the mix. 

Perhaps they now strayed from both the flower shop and the tattoo shop. Or perhaps they gathered around the sound of joy.

•••

"So," Yuta started as you weaved flowers into a little crown. You had done it millions of times with Tsumiki. Since you couldn't run to her every time you felt uneasy, you found it easier to reach for a bunch of dandelions and begin weaving them together.

You used to leave them next to Tsumiki's bed, trying not to look at the mark on her forehead that only you could see. Nowadays, you leave them on Toge's head.

"So?" you repeated.

"Maki told me that she fights to spite her family... Why do you?"

You stopped, the flower crown no where near long enough to be considered more than a bracelet. 

Toge looked up from his phone. You cleared your throat and looked back at Yuta. "I have a friend. A friend I need to save."

Toge's hand found itself placed upon yours and you looked at him, now smiling. "I'm okay," you assured in a language Yuta didn't know. And Toge nodded, bowing his head.

You finished off the crown and placed it on his head before turning back to Yuta. "And to protect the friends I have now, of course."

•••

You flinched and lifted your head. The four of you lied on your couch, Mimiko's head on your lap, Tsumiki's head on your shoulder, and Nanako leaning on Tsumiki.

It had been around five hours since you found refuge in the sound of terrible American songs and even more terrible singing. The lack of screaming let them sleep, you assumed, knowing that it was likely that Suguru had finally stopped yelling.

Whether that meant Nurse Ieri left or that they found common ground, a place where they could talk at a normal volume.

You sighed, never having heard the sound of the screaming, but the battle in your head being far too loud for you to join your friends in slumber.

Suguru had never screamed before, not that you knew. 

You recalled the photo of Suguru, Gojo, and Nurse Ieri that sat on Gojo's desk.

Suguru had never smiled like that before either. Not that you knew.

You wondered if the three had ever done something like this in their youth. Scream songs that they didn't know the lyrics of, fall asleep after hours and hours, leaning on each other because the feeling of someone you knew was endlessly more comforting than a pillow.

Your hand rested on Mimiko's shoulder and your rubbed along her bicep.

Screaming at her was the last thing you could think of doing. Screaming at any of them. 

Not that you could think of screaming at all.

You took a throw pillow that was discarded on the floor and placed it beneath Mimiko's head as you moved, while your hand guided Tsumiki's head to lean back so she wouldn't fall.

When you opened the window, the scent of smoke filled the air and you were quick to close it. You went down to the shop to see what the source was and saw Nurse Ieri standing outside with a cigarette between her fingers.

She always appeared awfully tired, with dark bags around her eyes that she didn't bother trying to hide with concealer. Her hair was long, although you remembered in being short in the photo on Gojo's desk.

She let it grow out.

"Sorry, is this a no smoking area?" she asked when you walked out.

Your gaze flickered to her lips, as if her words would remain there like words on a page.

She tapped her cigarette, letting the ash fall to the sidewalk, and you held out your hand.

"What, do you want it?" she questioned with her brows high.

Your eyes travelled to the ground, at the ashes that spread across the cement. You knew that the town selectman, Kaito, would be furious with the ashes, let alone litter.

She slowly placed the cigarette in your palm and you retreated inside to toss it before coming back out. "You're Nurse Ieri."

Her brow furrowed. "Do I know you?"

You looked at her sign, which was sloppier than Gojo's but not as sloppy as Yuta's. "I got to Jujutsu Tech."

She nodded. "Nice singing up there."

"I know."

"Sorry about the yelling."

"Thank you."

"I should probably go."

"If you want to." You turned back to the tattoo shop just a few blocks away from the flower shop. 

The town had gone back to its normal pace, with people walking by peacefully. "It's around three now. There's muffins that are sold at the bakery over there."

You took in the familiar scent, then watched Nanami's car pull up on the side of the road in front of the bakery. He walked out, adjusting his tie, and Nurse Ieri's eyes widened. You saw his name take the shape of her lips and she rushed towards him.

You didn't make chase, never having walked into the bakery without Tsumiki, and retreated inside and to the living room upstairs, where your friends continued to sleep.

The waiting music of the karaoke channel continued to play and you turned off the TV, which somehow prompted the three to stir.

"Turn it back on," Tsumiki groaned as she turned.

You yawned, stretching your arms above your head, being the only one who hadn't taken a nap after what had to be the equivalent of a dying bird's cries. 

"God, my throat's dying," Nanako muttered.

You went to the kitchen, collecting leaves from a small bag to make into tea. "How many?"

"Just two."

Mimiko went into your fridge and pulled out a can of Pepsi, which you only bought for when she came over. You weren't a fan, nor were your parents.

The door that led to the shop opened and your mom walked in bearing gifts - food.

"I heard your ruckus from across town," she laughed as Tsumiki and Nanako rushed over, hugging her as if she were their own mother. She lifted up the plastic bag in here hand. "Korean corndogs?"

Tsumiki grinned and ran to the light switch, flickering the lights to get your attention.

You turned, your eyes lighting up. 

"Good evening," your mom greeted as Tsumiki took the plastic bag from her to set on the kitchen counter.

You ran to her and hugged her tightly before returning to the two mugs and the boiling kettle. "Tea, mom?"

She shook her head and began pouring herself some water before sitting next to Mimiko. 

"So, how's art school?"

"It's good," she said quietly, tilting her can from side to side.

"I'm sure your teachers are already quite fond of you." 

"Sort of... I'm not good enough yet."

"Oh, nonsense. They just haven't given you a needle and thread yet, or a hook and yarn." Your mom gently elbowed her. "You're great at what you do."

You handed the two mugs to Tsumiki and Nanako and watched your mom talk to Mimiko. 

You took out the takeout boxes and opened them to reveal the Korean corndogs your mom always brought home when she knew your friends were over.

Nanako took two, handing one to her sister, and you took two, handing one to Tsumiki.

"So, what adventures have you gone on at school now that your friends are here to urge you to tell the story," your mom asked you.

All eyes were on you, anticipating the story and you shrugged. "Nothing really."

"Okay, now tell the truth."

"I don't know, my friends and I just... helped out a kid that was being bullied."

"Did you do the flip over thing Suguru taught you?!" Nanako jumped to her feet. "The one where you flip them over your head?"

"Sure, yeah..."

"You should've recorded it," Tsumiki said, rolling her eyes.

You chuckled. "Of course, I'll do that next time."

"There will be no next time," your mother tried to say firmly, but failed as she cracked a smile. "Don't let your father learn."

"He'd be even prouder than you, mom."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 2.5K 63
A young man possessing immense power born a bastard & Illegitimate child to a cruel and abuser family,with only a few of his family members including...
245K 4.1K 12
Toge x reader one shots 🏷꒰ requests are open (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) y/n is your oc so I won't write anything that will make the reader(you)...
32.1K 1K 23
[𝙐𝙉𝘿𝙀𝙍 𝙃𝙀𝘼𝙑𝙔 𝙍𝙀-𝙀𝘿𝙄𝙏 ~ 𝙍𝙀𝙏𝙐𝙍𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙎𝙊𝙊𝙉]   ━━━━━━━━━━━━  [ ᴠᴀʀɪᴏᴜꜱ! ᴊᴜᴊᴜᴛꜱᴜ ᴋᴀɪꜱᴇɴ x ꜰᴇᴍᴀʟᴇ ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ]   ━━━━━━━━━━━━  [𝐍𝐀...
728K 25.7K 49
❝𝘿𝙤𝙚𝙨 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙗𝙤𝙮𝙛𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙙 𝙠𝙣𝙤𝙬 𝙮𝙤𝙪'𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙣𝙖𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙮?❞ A jujutsu kaisen fan-fiction of our beloved Fushiguro Toji. As a...