Into the Shadows of Arcadia

By Anonymous-ones

Changelings are all over Archadia but what if they had more influence on the trollhunter's journey? (Trollhun... More

Prologue
Becoming apart 1
Becoming Apart 2
Wherefore Art Thou, Trollhunter 1
Gnome Your Enemy 1
Gnome Your Enemy 2
Waka Chaka 1
Waka Chaka 2
Win lose or Draal 1
To Catch a Changeling 1
To Catch a Changeling 2
Adventures in Trollsitting 1
Adventures in Trollsitting 2
Bittersweet Sixteen 1
Bittersweet Sixteen 2
Young Atlas 1
Young Atlas 2
Recipe for Disaster 1

Wherefore Art Thou, Trollhunter 2

28 0 0
By Anonymous-ones

Jim mumbled. Once again the picture was changed to the Hero's forge, Blinky circling Jim who stood straight up in his armor, sword raised.

"Wider stance. Keep your frame. No, that's good, that's good. Yes, all right, fine. That's better."

Jim followed every order.

"All right. Raise your sword, Master Jim."

Blinky pushed the sword to a higher height as Jim stayed in the position that Blinky had guided him to reach.

"Mm-hmm. Head up, chin out, stomach in."

Watching from the sidelines were Aaarrrgghh and Toby. Aaarrrgghh had dumped the contents of a paper bag into his mouth, burping as he swallowed.

"Mmm. What's this?"

"Dander from my Nana's Persian and a couple of hairballs."

"Mmm. What's this"

Aaarrrgghh dropped the whole bag into his mouth and pointed with a smile to Toby.

"Mm, tasty."

Arrrgg burps again. Jim who never followed Blinky with his head nor eyes, only focusing on the positions and what Blinky had spoken to him.

"The Trollhunter lives and dies by three rules. Rule number one: always be afraid"

"Afraid?."

"Be afraid."

"Yeah, I don't think that'll be a problem. Whoa!"

Jim quickly ducked as a rock was thrown to his head, missing it easily. He turned his head to see Aaarrrgghh with a closed fist, obviously, he had caught the rock. With one gulp, Aaarrrgghh swallows it as Blinky continues, Jim's face full of shock.

"See? Fear is good. Keeps us alert. Keeps us on guard. Makes us vigilant. A hero is not he who is fearless, but he who is not stopped by it."

Blinky threw more rocks at Jim, the boy quickly avoiding all the stones.

"Got it."

"Two: always finish the fight. An opponent must be given no mercy."

Blinky laughed as he threw more rocks, Jim, using his sword as a shield. After the rocks were no longer thrown, the camera panned upwards, showing every piece of Jim's armor.

"Okay, enough with the rocks, already."

"Always finish the fight?"

Jim was suddenly taken down by a rock, a groan escaping him as the one who had done it Aaarrrgghh hand still reached out after throwing the stone.

"Kill!"

Toby pointed to Aaarrrgghh to say he had done it while Jim stood up, his hand rubbing the sore spot forming on his head before facing Aaarrrgghh and Toby.

 "What the heck" 

"Indeed. The Trollhunter must always vanquish his opponent through death."

"Dude, that's harsh."

"Ours is an unforgiving world, Tobius. Hence, the third rule: when in doubt, always kick them in the Gronk-nuks."

"Gronk-nuks?"

Jim repeated. On cue after a few steps of Blinky's foot, a large blade fell near the space in between Jim's legs. He screamed and back away as Aaarrrgghh let out a shiver.

"The horror."

"So, basically, you're saying that one-third of being a Trollhunter is kicking someone in the nards."

Jim mentioned. A voice cut through their conversation like a sharp knife through butter, Draal entering the arena with a mocking grin.

"Ah! So, the Trollhunter's training begins. I thought the great Trollhunter might accept my services as a sparring partner. Part of your training regiment, isn't it?"

"In due time, perhaps."

"Why wait? I am eager to see your charge demonstrate his mettle."

Vendel stated as he appeared above them all, overlooking a ledge as Jim looked at his sword.

"Actually, the sword's more made of, like, daylight."

"He means your mettle, your ability to cope in the face of adversity."

"Oh. Yeah, I'm still working on the whole "mettle" part. Plus, you know, SAT words."

Vendel chuckled as he watched, Draal grinning evilly.

"Let them spar."

"No harm in it."

Draal said. Jim glanced with shock at Draal before catching up to Blinky.

"Wait, what do I do?"

"Hit him as hard as you can."

"No, no. I mean, what do I do? I've never hit anyone."

"Ever?"

"I've never gotten into a fight."

"In your entire life?"

"All 15 years of it, yeah."

"You fought Bular, however briefly, and you were glorious. Your blade-work was impressive."

"Those were just my chef skills!"

"Exactly! The fight is within you, Master Jim. Trust yourself. One hit! One hit and you will be changed forever."

With confidence, Blinky turns Jim and pushes him to Draal, Jim clearly worried.

"Begin."

Vendel said with a booming voice. Draal growls and slams his fists into the rocky surface, roaring as Jim lifted his sword. Draal running at the boy.

"One hit."

The offspring of the previous Trollhunter rolled into a sharp ball, Jim yelping as he jumped from the path of destruction. However, as Jim looked above, he noticed Draal rolling up to the ceiling before falling from his ball. Fists ready. Once Draal collided with the ground, dust covered the area in a grimy blanket, the impact threw Jim into the denser part of the fog. Not being able to see anything, Jim was suddenly tackled, the blue mist brightening over the fog as the dust cleared. He used his sword as a crutch, still not being able to stand well enough. Repeated punches met Jim, his groans mixing with the sounds of his metal armor being pounded by a rocky hand. Jim lay on the Ground and opened his eyes to see his attacker. His eyes flashed yellow. Draal pulled the weakening Jim up and punched him closer near the cliff. Jim's strength was declining rapidly, his sword vanishing too. Draal lifted Jim over the edge, his terrified screams were enough to let Toby scream.

"I've waited my entire life to inherit the amulet. I can wait until you fall in battle."

He squeezes Jim,  he sees the boy has yellow eyes and squeezes harder the boy letting out another agonizing groan before dropping him.

"I suspect I won't have to wait very long. If you know what's good for you, you'll stay down and live, worm. Trollhunter."

Draal walks away, leaving Jim as Vendel sighs and disappears. With remorse, Blinky watches Vendel leave then looks at Jim who couldn't look at his trainer. Draal met Vendal outside of the forage. 

"There is something not right about the Fleshbag." 

"I agree but until there is proof we can do nothing. Now what did you see?" 

"His eyes changed like that of an Impure. I should have killed him." 

"We can't prove anything. I will keep him in my sights when in Trollmarket I have made sure that his tranior is aware of my distrust of the boy." 

"Blinky is not the most deserving of your trust." 

"But he is the closest to the boy." 

The two kept walking. Out in Trollmarket was the defeated Trollhunter, Blinky, Aaarrrgghh, and Toby following behind, leaving the home for trolls.

"He might be right. What the heck was I thinking? An amulet can't choose anyone. It's an amulet."

"Jim?"

"I understand you're upset, Master Jim, but you've had not a moment's training. There's no shame in what just transpired."

"Okay. Well, then you were definitely not paying attention back there. Shame was about the only thing that transpired. Shame... and realization. I don't know if Draal should be the Trollhunter or not, and I don't care. I just know that I am not."

After pulling the amulet free from its pocket, Jim sighed and tossed it to Blinky's feet. Once it rested, a stone hand had lifted it from the ground, Blinky holding it close as Jim continues to the exit.

"Master Jim, despite whatever doubts you may have about the amulet's choice, it is now bonded to you. This is a mantle you cannot refuse."

The glowing amulet leaves Blinky's hands and right to Jim's. The boy catching it with wide eyes as his trainer had spoken. Gathering himself together, a frown thinned Jim's lips as he dropped it back by Blinky, and continued onward, Toby catching up to his friend.

"Watch me."

Jim said as he left. Jim got back to his house and headed straight to his room thinking that he had left the crazy life behind him. He opened his door. Lighting up to see the amulet in the corner as Jim enters his room with a defeated face. That was until his eyes had landed on the item he had tried so hard to get rid of. The amulet glowed like a heartbeat as Jim balled his fists with a groan before tossing it in the trash. He turned and laid on his bed, slipping an arm beneath his head. The amulet glowing as it laid beside him. Jim's eyebrows falling in anger. His eyes flashing yellow for just a moment. With another toss in the trash, more items piled above it like books and other pieces of garbage that piled around his room. After stacking a pile, Jim sat beside the can with an exhale, yet when his eyes opened, they grew as he found the amulet once in front of him. Jim slapped his forehead and fell backward into the trash can, books falling on his defeat pose. Now in the living room, Jim sat on his couch, popcorn rapidly falling into his mouth as the TV lit his features on his face. Not paying attention to the bowl, Jim didn't realize he had grabbed the amulet until he bit down, a groan leaving his lips. In the bathroom, he scrubbed his teeth clean before spitting and pulling open the mirror cabinet, the haunting presence of the amulet causing him to scream. He slammed the door shut, his face reappearing in the mirror with a disturbed look. The amulet was thrown into the air a few times before landing in the palm of Jim's hand, a bat in his other as he stood outside. With one more toss, the amulet smacked against the bat, the magical device was pulled from view, leaving Jim. As he headed to the back door, the amulet was thrown back, bouncing off Jim's head. Moving his bat to find what had hit him, he found the amulet laying at his feet. 

The next day at rehearsal. On the stage stood Jim and Claire as the teacher passed in front of them. While Claire had a smile and kept her eyes on the teacher, Jim had a frown, his head hung as eye looked at nothing but his clipboard. Mrs. Janeth was quoting parts of the play.

"Deny and refuse." But he can't deny it. But Romeo can't not be a Montague, which means that Juliet..."

"And I'll no longer be a Capulet."

Claire said happily. The teacher sat with a laugh before looking at Jim, all eyes upon him.

"Exactly! Jim?"

"Huh?"

"Or, if thou wilt not, be sworn my love..."

"Right. No, I-I got it. Love, deny, refuse. I'm on it"

"Okay, then. Let's take it from "Wherefore art..."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Totally fine."

"You're going to need to be a bit more convincing if you're going to play Romeo."

"I've just got some stuff going on in my head."

"I know we don't know each other all that well, but we're going to be spending a lot of time together, so..."

Claire moved closer to Jim, her fingers tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as they smile. The teacher quickly standing. Mrs. Janeth grabbed their attention.

"All right, all right! Act two, scene two, line 33."

"Wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

Jim smiled, finally feeling the spark of happiness, the background slowly blending into a picture of lockers. Jim losing his smile as Steve approached him.

"Where have you been? I scheduled your butt-whooping for yesterday, jerk face.And you didn't show. Tick-tock, remember?"

Steve said, as Jim was pressed against the locker, Toby spoke out from the side, Steve's head that took up most of the camera, turned to face Toby.

"He was busy getting his butt whooped by someone else. Take a number."

"Back off, dweeb!"

"Steve, I am really not in the mood to do this right now."

"Duh! Nobody's ever in the mood to get their face bashed in, but that's what's going to happen unless you want to back down."

Students watched with worried glances, Claire and Darci appearing behind Toby, Claire's face morphing into a worried expression.

"Uh, I-I can do that?"

"Sure. You want to crawl away from me, on your knees, bowing in front of everybody? That's a choice."

Students murmured as Jim dropped his bag and landed on his knees.

"Whoa! I didn't expect you to actually choose wussing over whooping."

Jim's eyes moved over to Toby and Claire's. With another glance, Jim then stood tall, reaching his full height. Steve chuckled before shoving Jim into a locker. Jim letting out a groan as his back collided with the metal. Jim ducked as Steve punched where he last stood, dodging each blow.

"Stay down and live, worm."

Jim was about to reach for his amulet before realizing he didn't need it. Those exact words were what Draal had told him the other day. 

"Is that all you got?"

As Steve advances, Claire appears in front of Jim, using her arms as a shield.

"Leave him alone, Steve!"

"Butt out!"

Steve shoved Claire to the side, her body flying towards Darci and Toby. They caught her but Jim was furious. 

"Claire!"

"Good thing your mom's a nurse"

"One hit."

He mumbled. His fist tightly formed as the confidence grew within him. Throwing a punch underneath Steve's chin, the blonde boy flew from Jim's reckless path. His bones cracked as a tooth landed beside Steve's pained face. He looked at Jim and saw a faint glow leaving Jim's eyes.

"She's a doctor, actually."

Toby ran to his friend's side, Claire smiling at Jim but stayed by Darci.

"Dude, you did it! And without even kicking him in the Gronk-nuks!"

Everyone stepped on Steve's arm as they surrounded Jim as he looked shocked at what had occurred before smiling happily. In Trollmarket, the bar was filled as some left or joined, waiters and waitresses delivered drinks as Draal sat at the bar, speaking his mind.

"It was an epic pummeling! I was going to kill him, but I just couldn't make up my mind as to how. Trollhunter I mean, "troll hunted" is more like it."

Draal looked back at Blinky and Aaarrrgghh as they sipped on their drinks angrily.

"If only Master Jim had landed a single hit."

"Single hit"

"And he would have been changed forever"

"Over and over and over. It was incredible! All I want is the chance to wail on that fleshbag again."

As Draal lifted the cup to his rock lips, a human hand quickly pushed it down, and the liquid inside spilled onto the table beneath them, revealing Jim standing beside him.

"Wish granted, loudmouth. Rematch. You. Me. Name the time, name the place, and I'll be there."

"We both will,"

Toby defended, Blinky and Aaarrrgghh looked shocked as they watched Jim confront Draal, Aaarrrgghh wiping off the drink from his chin as he spoke. 

"Changed Forever,"

Aaarrrgghh said. Draal stood with a growl, everyone surrounding them as the two glare at one another, Jim's face showing nothing but pure confidence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 9 21
A Trollhunters AU where Barbara becomes the Trollhunter instead of Jim. After her husband left her and her five year old son all alone, never to retu...
1.3K 46 9
You are a little wisp, your body glows orange like the heartstone. Your eyes are white dots and you have two little paws. Your body has a thin layer...
24.1K 970 79
Aaarrrgghh(Trollhunters) Fanfiction Book One Of The Silence Series 'I won't be a helpless bystander while someone I love is in danger! I made an oath...
157 1 6
I won't do Jim and Claire where they kiss or something romantic together because I'm change it a little. please don't ban me for maybe copying the s...