Fate: Kill

By ButchOwenBaring

Death and corruption. A rotting Empire, and a man who would sit at the heart of a revolution. In a dark world... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51

Chapter 52

93 3 1
By ButchOwenBaring

A golden light that ushers in a new era marked the end of Honest's rule over the empire.

Fighting ceased and hostilities dwindled under the light's descent. Some saw vague images of family, others their childhood dreams and inspirations in the radiance.

The monstrous giant made of alchemy, Danger Beasts, and the fusion of an Imperial Teigu was wiped out without a trace. News of Honest's demise came swiftly after, demoralizing any who thought to fight under his banner and invigorating the rebel forces.

The blast of light continued to carve out a deep valley that stretched into the distant mountains, filled with scorched earth and remnant motes of golden light.

It was the sword of the unifier who brought together the opposing factions of the Empire and even Wakoku's warring clans through his strength of character...and the fear of retaliation. It was a sword that could wipe out a capital if swung horizontally.

Rumours of the sword being an inheritance of the royal family abounded, able to be passed down from generation to generation.

At the very least, those of the present era would never encroach upon the Empire's current borders or dare to scheme in the Empire's upper cabinet.

The people of Wakoku deemed the new emperor a child of the stars, but to others, he was their hero, friend, and a loved one.

-A year later, and that man, that hero, had yet to make a public appearance.

Elaine adjusted her glasses and sighed while sitting at the foot of a bed located in the Empire's Royal castle. Across from her, and lying on the bed with his eyes closed, was Shirou. His hair had entirely whitened, and his complexion had tanned somewhat, but the problem was that he wasn't waking up.

Pursing her lips, Elaine balled her hands into fists and kept her cool. Even now, she, Chouri, and many others were keeping Shirou's condition concealed, as he was the central figure stabilizing the Empire's condition. The more ambitious of Wakoku's clans would not miss the opportunity, nor would any other forces eying the Empire after its forces were severely weakened from infighting.

Selka, Leone, and many others had long since recovered from their injuries, but Shirou was the only one who had yet to recover.

At the very least, Shirou was breathing.

Those people in the slums and middle-class zones calling Shirou to blame for Honest's atrocities had been heavily suppressed to an almost vindictive degree. They called for his execution for committing acts of rape, mass genocide, and violence perpetrated in their communities by pro supporters of the former rebel forces.

Considering Shirou's current state while fighting for such people, Selka and the others did not take well to that at all.

Reluctant as she was to admit it, even Elaine took part in the heavy-handed suppression, more to alleviate frustration and anxiety than anything else.

When anger shifted to the former child emperor, it became even more complicated because Budo would instantly become an enemy. Then there was the notion of Shirou and the child emperor being family.

Elaine and the others could not easily acquiesce to the crowds demands so tensions were still rather strained. However, that could be solved if Shirou could just wake up and speak on his cousin's behalf...

For the time being, the child emperor was taking refuge in Calla with Shirou's siblings until they were of age, and the heat died down.

In government, former Revolutionary Army Officers had taken up positions in the defeated Empire's upper bureaucracy. They created new laws to be approved by the emperor, and were insistent on them to the point of petitioning to bypass the emperor due to Shirou's lack of response. However, they were stop-gated by Budo whenever they infringed on the Royal Family's rights.

Elaine didn't put a stop to them.

It was one thing to trust Shirou, but it was another to trust future generations with unchecked power. An opposing force had to be established to prevent tyranny, and Elaine along with Chouri allowed for the creation of the moderates in the Empire.

Everything was changing, the Empire in decline gradually reverting course to a new golden age beyond lies and corruption.

"And you're not there to see it," Elaine said bitterly, watching Shirou's expression remain tranquilly unresponsive.

Of everyone who'd arrived in this room, only Akame had yet to visit.

She probably blamed herself.

A part of Elaine could still vividly remember the scene a full year ago. A pale Akame was supported by Kurome while Wave carried Shirou. All of them looked like they'd been through a rough battle, but in wake of Shirou swinging his sword, any notion of victory for Champ and Izou vanished. If they'd stayed, only death waited for them when the rebel forces closed in, allowing Kurome and Wave to track down Akame as the two retreated.

The two were currently wanted fugitives.

Finding Akame and Shirou was apparently easy for Kurome and Wave.

At the place Shirou swung his sword, Akame had been sitting there motionless and lifelessly clutching onto Shirou. Her expression was hollow, and the victory stale.

Elaine shook her head. Whatever Akame's reasons for not visiting Shirou mattered little to her. It was just one less competitor.

A part of Elaine envied Najenda. She'd already gotten married after Lubbock's clumsy attempts at wooing her. If only Shirou could display a fraction of Lubbock's initiative and there wouldn't be a new destabilizing situation in the Empire.

"Queen's Blade," Elaine murmured, determination bleeding into her features.

"Ahem!"

The sound of someone clearing their throat alerted Elaine to an old man entering the room.

Chouri walked in, nodded at Elaine, and then informed her that the imperial physician strongly insisted on allowing the patient to rest undisturbed. Something Elaine should have known.

Elaine flinched.

Oh, she knew, but instead used the opportunity to come here on her own without the other women harping on her. Selka was a strong competitor, her promise of marriage after victory was still her deadliest weapon. It took a full year of careful maneuvering and mental ministrations to offset the unfair advantage. Finally, it was settled by leveraging Wakoku clan traditions to handle marriage disputes.

"Victory must be achieved," Elaine muttered before tentatively nodding at Chouri and vacating the room.

If Elaine found it odd that Chouri didn't leave with her, then she didn't notice because she was too preoccupied with her own thoughts.

Silence stretched through the room as Chouri pulled up a wooden stool, and sat on it ways off from the bedside.

"...She's gone your majesty," Chouri said, a senile grin on his face.

Shirou blinked, wincing at the light illuminating the room. He'd spent so long with his eyelids closed that it disoriented him to open them again.

Shirou had only gained consciousness recently, and he'd been feigning his condition ever since hearing certain absurd rumours and obligations he'd have to fulfill as emperor from Chouri.

It was actually the physician who first noticed Shirou rouse from sleep, and quickly tried to propagate the news, but Chouri was a sly fox. He put a stop to it immediately, fearing upheaval without time to prepare. He'd been the one present during the physician's inspection as they couldn't trust the others to get into an argument with each other now that Shirou's condition was gradually stabilizing.

Sitting up, Shirou grimaced while scratching his head.

"...That ridiculous contest was true?" He asked in disbelief before grunting in pain.

Shirou's body still ached, and his muscles had atrophied, but a little rehabilitation training should fix the problem. The issue were his legs. He'd need to project a copy of Avalon to heal them, and he was dead out of magic energy. His life force had also been drawn thin, which was why it took him so long to wake.

Chouri let out a laugh, more relieved that Shirou was awake than anything else. Still, he was in good spirits, allowing Chouri to determine that Shirou could bear the news as it was.

"It's called the Queen's Blade, only the strongest and wisest woman is fit for queen. The test ranges from strength, tactics, and political intrigue to guard against potential vipers and jackals. It's all to prevent another Honest from emerging. At least that was what was reasoned, but I have half a mind to believe the conditions were set to prevent Selka and Leone from solving political opponents by punching or kicking them to submission."

Shirou fell silent. Chouri grew amused at his expense and continued unfiltered.

"Political factions are forming under likely winners, and if not handled well I fear the current Empire's stability will shatter."

That was the crux of it. Especially with rumours that General Esdeath had survived and would participate. It was all speculation. All of it. Then again, Liver appeared entirely too enthused for someone who'd lost his general. At the time of the war a year ago, Liver had spent the entirety of his time helping to douse the flame burning Esdeath with his Teigu. Therefore, he would have the best idea of Esdeath's status, and that sent many red flags to Queen's Blade participants.

Shirou's eyes were twitching incessantly the longer Chouri spoke.

"Do I not get a say?" Shirou finally muttered.

Chouri clapped in response, looking all too sleazy for one reason or another. "On the contrary Milord, you have all the say granted you end this coma farce. You know I have a grand daughter that's-"

And there it was.

"Chouri." Shirou groaned, already having a lot on his plate.

Humming, Chouri remained good natured if nothing else. "Well excuse this old grandpa's impudence. You're all Spear talks about these days and training for the Queen's Blade. However, I fear the competition is too savage for her, so forgive me for trying."

Shirou pulled the bedsheets off him, and weakly made his way to the side of the bed.

"I'll wake up." He said, standing on his feet, only to wobble before regaining his balance. He dared not walk with his current leg injuries. Sighing, he sat back down. "Can you arrange an announcement?"

Shirou refused to be the catalyst of another civil war, one that he understood that was practically airing out the dirty laundry of his personal life.

"Naturally." Chouri answered, getting up from his stool and arranging the proper procedures in his mind. "I'll-"

Chouri paused mid speech, his eyes rolling back into his head. He fell forward, and a hand caught him before gently laying the old man on the floor.

"No need," a flat voice answered.

Red eyes stared up at Shirou, raven coloured hair a disheveled mess of unruly split-ends from a lack of maintenance.

The woman standing before him looked haggard; her sunken eyes and pale complexion painting a picture of misery.

"A-Akame," Shirou stammered from lingering guilt.

She stared silently at him with mixed feelings.

Contrary to Elaine and everyone else's thoughts, it wasn't that Akame never visited, it was just that she'd always been here.

It was the first time she'd seen him awake. No matter how skilled she was, she didn't want to get in the way of a medical inspection so she'd missed it when Shirou first woke up.

To suddenly see Shirou wake up and speak with Chouri pushed her over the edge, and made her act before she even realized.

She approached in the silence, one hurried step, then two.

On immobile legs, Shirou could hardly react when Akame threw herself on him, wrapping her arms around him and crying into his chest. This whole time she'd waited, blaming herself for something that was never her fault.

Shirou had seen those raw feelings, and had enough time to accept them. There was no man who would not be moved by a woman with such commitment, but he made a mistake while lost in thought.

Vulnerable, Akame didn't waste the chance. Raised as an Assassin and with all the time to come to terms with her feelings, she felt nothing at the notion of cucking the others. The man before her, was the man she loved.

In a single movement, she captured his lips with her own, tears still trickling down her cheeks.

/-/

Operation, Fate Kill: End

/-/

.

.

.

"Choosing will only make the others unresigned."

"Then-"

"I'll do it. I'll win the Queen's Blade."

Oh, for the love of...

Shirou's mouth clamped shut.

Side Operation: Queen's Blade: Start.
Thanks for reading!

Free web novel :[Apostate in Grim Fantasy]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 10 3
An empty promise was all it took to guarantee his death. Death was the end, it was believed. He should be resting his soul in the afterlife with his...
1.4K 47 11
Entering the fuedal era accidentally or rather being pushed in, your whole life changes faster than you can keep up with. During all these strange oc...
2.7K 75 11
in a world where depravity, murder and violence that was wrought by both demons and corrupt men, a night that ushered in the autumn a fire on the out...
11.5K 694 11
A sudden turn of events! After an experiment of Hakoniwa's Demon Queen, the Strongest Minus and the Murderer Who Doesn't Killl end up in a country of...