Shadows of the past

Από 1zzySky

Captain Steve Rogers and Lieutenant James 'Bucky' Barnes were best friends, who were given the super soldier... Περισσότερα

Cast
Prologue
Lifechanging Decision
Saving Marni
The Tragedy in '45
The First Encounter
Revealing Truths
The Interrogation
A Ghost Story
A Trip to Jersey
A Shadow of the Past

Coming to Terms

15 0 0
Από 1zzySky

January 1945, The Stork Club, England

Sitting in the bombed-down bar, Steve and Bucky were drowning their sorrows in alcohol - even though they couldn't get drunk, thinking about what could have been. Remembering what Erskine told them when they were chosen for Project Rebirth.

Hearing someone walk into the room behind them, the men twisted in their chairs to face them. Picking up the bottle of alcohol to refill his glass, Steve spoke," Dr. Erskine said that the serum wouldn't just affect our muscles, it would affect our cells. It created a protective system of regeneration and healing. Which means we can't get drunk." Tilting his head, a little to face Peggy, he asked." Did you know that?"

Taking an over-turned chair from in front of the bar, Peggy placed it on the opposite side of the table to the men. She sat down as she replied." Your metabolism burns four times faster than the average human. He thought it could be a potential side effect," staring at the bottle before looking down at his lap, Steve stayed quiet.

"It wasn't your fault," Peggy told them.

"Did you read the report?" Bucky questioned, and she responded immediately with a 'yes.'

"Then you know that's not true." He said with a slight shake of his head, grieving, wondering what would have happened if neither of them had taken the serum and just stayed friends.

"You did everything you could." She told the soldiers, staring at them, while also silently grieving for she too loved Armani Rogers." Did you believe in your sister?" She asked. The men's eyes flashed up, listening to what she was saying." Did you respect her? Then stop blaming yourself. Allow Marni the dignity of her choice. She damn well must have thought you two were worth it."

"We're going after Schmidt," Bucky said, pausing to swallow the lump in his throat, thinking about the sacrifice his love had made." We're not stopping until all of HYDRA is either dead or captured."

______________________

February 1945, HYDRA base, Switzerland

Amidst the chaos and confrontation with HYDRA, Steve and Bucky took risks to buy time for their team. They orchestrated their capture, leading them straight to Schmidt. The confrontation was intense, a brief exchange transpiring before the Howling Commandos stormed in, shattering the windows and initiating a fierce firefight

Following Schmidt's escape, the pursuit continued a relentless chase through the HYDRA base. As they reached the Valkyrie - an advanced aircraft, the realization dawned that catching Schmidt on foot was futile. A fleeting moment of despair enveloped them until Colonel Philips and Peggy arrived in a car, providing a new opportunity.

As the Valkyrie accelerated, the car raced alongside it. Bucky urged the Colonel to "Keep it steady," ready for a daring leap onto the aircraft. However, Peggy intervened with a poignant "Wait." In a surprising turn, she pulled Steve close, capturing a moment between them with a kiss. The gesture carried unspoken emotions, a poignant connection amidst the urgency of their mission.

______________________

February 1945, Schmidt's Valkyrie, Switzerland

Steve and Bucky entered the Valkyrie through the wheel well, to evade detection by Schmidt. Upon entering the aircraft, they discovered the ominous payload of Zeppelin bombs targeting various American cities.

Seizing the opportunity to confront HYDRA agents, the soldiers initiated a fierce battle. As the agents ran across the bridge, Steve and Bucky strategically positioned themselves on top of one of the bombs, awaiting the right moment to strike.

Spotting a control panel, Steve acted swiftly, releasing the Zeppelin intended for Chicago. A HYDRA agent falling with it, their plan thwarted. However, the fight intensified as more agents closed in from both sides. Steve engaged in hand-to-hand combat, showcasing his enhanced abilities.

Steve noticed an agent attempting to escape on the Zeppelin meant for New York. He leapt onto it, grappling with the agent, determined to prevent the catastrophic consequences of the planned attack on the city. The stakes were high, and the fate of countless lives hung in the balance as the struggle unfolded on the airborne battleground.

______________________

After flying back onto the Valkyrie, Steve met up with Bucky and walked to the main control room where Schmidt was. Stalking over to where the pilot's seat was, they saw it empty. A whirring sounded behind them, Johann shot at them, deflecting their attacks with their shields.

"You don't give up, do you?" Schmidt asked, his voice dripping with anger and frustration.

"No, we don't," Steve responded firmly, his determination unwavering.

A fierce battle ensued, with Schmidt quickly overpowering both men, causing them to drop their shields. Steve managed to regain his footing and pushed Schmidt into the barrier on the other side while Bucky made his way over to the control panel.

Picking up his shield, Steve attempted to strike Schmidt, but the man grabbed the shield and pushed it back with equal force, sending Steve crashing into the pilot seat. The sudden impact prompted the lever to move, sending the Valkyrie into a sudden plummet.

As the fight continued, Schmidt managed to reach the control panel and activated the autopilot, stabilizing the Valkyrie before turning to address the two men.

"You could have the power of the gods! Yet you wear a flag on your chest and think you are fighting a battle of nations! I have seen the future, Captain, Lieutenant! There are no flags!" Schmidt exclaimed, his words echoing through the control room.

Bucky, dodging Schmidt's attacks, replied defiantly, "Not our future!" his voice was filled with determination to protect their ideals and values, no matter what challenges they faced.

______________________

Johann Schmidt, now dead, meant that the two men could focus on how to land the plane safely. Steve used the radio to contact anyone who would hear - Jim Morita answering. Peggy interrupted before he could finish. Steve relaying the situation and how they would land in the water.

The Valkyrie descended into the water, ending the airborne threat but leaving the fate of Steve and Bucky unknown. The impact silenced the radio, leaving a poignant moment of uncertainty and tears running down Peggy's face.

Meanwhile, Marni, believed to have perished earlier, was joined by her brother and Bucky, further uniting the Rogers siblings in their shared destiny. The crash marked the conclusion of a pivotal chapter in their journey, with the ultimate sacrifice made for the greater good.

______________________

2012, SHIELD base, New York

Opening their eyes, the soldiers woke up to the sounds of a radio playing. Sitting up observing the room, both men turned to look at the radio, listening for a moment before the door opened, revealing a curly-haired woman, " Good Morning," She greeted, seeing as the two men were awake before glancing at her watch." Or should I say afternoon?" She said with a smile plastered on her face.

"Where are we?" Bucky asked, confused because the last he remembered was plummeting into the ice while saving the world. The woman replied," You're in a recovery room in New York City." The smile stayed on her face. Silence filled the room, the only sound coming from the radio as both men looked out the window before Steve spoke," Where are we really?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand," she said with a small chuckle.

"The game...." Bucky spoke, a stern look on his face as he stared directly at the women." It's from May 1941. I know 'cause we were there." A look of shock made its way onto the woman's face, standing up from the bed, the soldiers walked towards her," Now, I'm going to ask you again. Where are we?" Steve asked menacingly.

Pressing a button on the device in her hand, unnoticed by the two, the woman responded," Captain Rogers, Lieutenant Barnes." Not letting her finish, Bucky raised his voice slightly to ask the question both wanted to know," Who are you?" As soon as he said that, two men entered the room, making the soldiers step back before breaking down the wall and running out of the building.

As they rounded the corner and into the square, they both stopped running, shocked by what they saw - this was not the New York they remembered. With cars coming from all directions, the men halted and turned when they heard someone talking," At ease soldiers." The man with an eyepatch closed the distance between them before he continued," Look, I'm sorry about the little show back there, but we didn't know what your mental state would be, so we thought it best to break it to you slowly."

"Break what?" Steve asked confused.

"You've been asleep, guys. For almost 70 years." The man replied. Taking deep breaths, Bucky and Steve looked around again before the man asked them a question," You going to be alright?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I just... I had a date." Steve replied, only thinking about Peggy and not how Bucky was, leaving him to look around shocked.

______________________

A/n

From this point on, all the parts are going to be based in 2014, the year of The Winter Soldier. Again I hope you have enjoyed this part and that you will leave feedback in the comments if you think it is needed. Please feel free to vote and follow, it would mean a lot to me.

Don't forget to take time for yourself.💕

Word count:1519

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

191K 8.8K 25
gangsta: you're pretty cute, I gotta admit. chim: what's gangsta? is that an American thing? gangsta: im gangsta, but you can call me anytime ;) - w...
21.5K 546 12
'You're Harry Potter, the legendary boy with the lightning scar, and I-I'm just Hayley' 'No, you're not. You're much more, my sister.' In which Hayle...
51.8K 994 32
Iris Lucia Malfoy-Evans is the pureblood daughter of Lucius Malfoy and Lily Evans, the product of an arranged marriage between two friends. Even the...